Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-05-2020, 06:05 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,826 Times in 2,206 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Aceoky, hope you didnt plant those tomatoes yet btw, it is going to get cold AGAIN this weekend. I am going to put my pots all back in the house and drag all those sheets back out , supposed to get to 26 Friday night, my gosh, and it's already May.

If this keeps up there really will be food shortages. All of our fruit trees and bushes are probably not going to produce. I don't have enough covers for the bushes, and the trees are too big anyway.
It is pouring rain again today and cold, not freezing but feels more like March than May
Yep they're planted and a whole lot more, we're supposed to be WAY past any danger of frost or too cool weather Oh well, all I can really do is hope it's warmer than the forecast at this point. I have several tomatoes flowering and a couple of small green ones on the vine
Old 05-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Who Dares Wins

Thanked 1,482 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Broad, I got infracted twice for being too chatty in the Chinese thread.

They don't care in here apparently so I'll play here.

I had some lentils for dinner from an Indian takeout. It makes me really eager to try some of my spices - I have a pretty good spice bank.

I do need to get some more garlic. But I think I can keep my lentils pretty lively.

People do odd things under strain so we will see how the posters sort out.
You crack me up good!

To chatty, Oh my say it ainít so, I hijacked a thread, and I canít for the life of me remember where I put it after I had control, but the SWAT team took it back quickly!

I too love the ignore setting except when those Iíve ignored get quoted all the time. Should have a setting for ignore the blocked persons quotes as quoted by another person.

There were/are to many cock fights going on in the C Virus thread, you know, my stats are better than your stats, I get more likes than you do, I know more than you do, your a lousy prepper if you had to go to the store and didnít have everything you needed on hand to last a year or more right from the get go, Your grammar is incorrect so I make it my mission in life to correct you, the political attacks you get like when your asked what news do you watch, things like that. Many posters are masters of innuendos that donít get them in trouble but just stay on the fence line.

And for gods sake donít say any of your spices Injected into your body Or snorted are a possible cure for Covid-19 or all the soothsayers will be pushing it as the greatest invention since the wheel, then when proven wrong they jump on the bandwagon for the the next miraculous scientifically unproven cure.

In the beginning I learned a lot, and I still do to a certain extent, but Iíve been staying away from the boards more and more, from daily checking in to a couple times a week. I hate itís got to a point where I have to work so hard to get past the rubbish to get to the good stuff.

There should be a blog just for charts and stats, and a separate one for my dogs bigger and better than yours. Like really, who cares about how many likes youíve accumulated in 10 years, does that really make you a better prepper than the guy who doesnít have as many but doesnít post 30 tines a day everyday, yet when he/she does itís good quality information? Iíve rambled on myself here to long!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Broadwing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,578 Times in 10,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
Yep they're planted and a whole lot more, we're supposed to be WAY past any danger of frost or too cool weather Oh well, all I can really do is hope it's warmer than the forecast at this point. I have several tomatoes flowering and a couple of small green ones on the vine
Cover them with old sheets or plastic overnight if you think it is going to freeze, you should be good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:10 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,826 Times in 2,206 Posts

There already IS an info only thread (sticky) at the top of the page
Old 05-05-2020, 06:14 PM
Who Dares Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
I am keeping my husband on lockdown. He is at risk.

I am phasing into taking my shower in the afternoon, after I come home. That way I can get any cooties I may have picked up while out.
Gather up those cooties, freeze dry or pressure can them, as it might be survival food in the future. I think I read that post from one of the Mega posters on the C. Virus blog, heck he said heís an expert on all things survival related!
Old 05-05-2020, 06:20 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,110 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Got tarps?
Tomato cages?
A few bricks or logs?

Rig a cover.
You'll be fine.

We had peppers and tomatoes out WAY too early and had to resort to tarps, tomato cages and bricks. It worked.

I will say a gardener's prayer for you or three. <3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:22 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,346 Times in 585 Posts

Purchased a 14.1 cu ft chest freezer today!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 PM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFoal2 View Post
Purchased a 14.1 cu ft chest freezer today!
You lucky lucky person!

I'm on a wait list - I don't give myself great odds getting it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 39,703 Times in 9,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
Its all good, Moccasin. The info wasn't for you. You've got everything sorted.

MTShawn put it much better than I ever will be able to in another thread.
People come to sites like this to get info because they can't get it from the media. They get anything from "Hug someone from China to stop the virus" to "It is a Chinese/Russian/Muslim/insert-bad-guy hoax to control the world".
What I'm suggesting to people who want information about the disease is ask someone who is trained to deal with diseases, a doctor. Sounds like common sense to me.
The doctors are busy, yes, but a large part of what they do is stopping people from worrying. You don't have to be bleeding from a gunshot wound to need healing.
What they will more than likely say is "Don't worry, keep 6 feet away from other people when you go out, wash your hands regularly and don't touch your face. If you get a fever or cough call me."

PS: Mod Certified PITA! is a great line.
Most physicians are not any more informed on this than the average person. They get their information from the same primary sources. The information they get is just as filtered through political organizations. The doctors that actually go out and seek and then read the research for themselves are a clear minority. Until they have copious amounts of hands on experience to figure these things out for themselves they're just as likely to have misinformation as the news.

And stopping people from worrying is not a proper role of a medical scientist. It is a political role. Sadly, you're right that most physicians will want to play politics the same as people here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 61,539 Times in 13,862 Posts

This thread is named:

Coronavirus Chat - speak your mind

SB is huge, has hundreds of topics and thousands of "prepping" ideas.

But in a thread named "Coronavirus Chat - speak your mind" people get the vapors when they are criticized for some of the dumb stuff they say and call their critics trolls. Guess nobody is allowed to actually speak their mind.

It seems EVERYTHING that doesn't fall in line with the official narrative means people are anti-preppers, non-preppers, murderers, committers of genocide and more.

If you don't like what people have to say, don't read it or put them on ignore. Better yet, log off, go outside and enjoy your day instead of bitching about what other people think about things.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Swirl Herder

Thanked 10,619 Times in 2,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
This thread is named:

Coronavirus Chat - speak your mind

SB is huge, has hundreds of topics and thousands of "prepping" ideas.

But in a thread named "Coronavirus Chat - speak your mind" people get the vapors when they are criticized for some of the dumb stuff they say and call their critics trolls. Guess nobody is allowed to actually speak their mind.

It seems EVERYTHING that doesn't fall in line with the official narrative means people are anti-preppers, non-preppers, murderers, committers of genocide and more.

If you don't like what people have to say, don't read it or put them on ignore. Better yet, log off, go outside and enjoy your day instead of bitching about what other people think about things.
I am curious why you are certain we were talking about you...after all, no one mentioned any names.
The Following User Says Thank You to hardcalibres For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,518 Times in 4,680 Posts

Quote:
Well, maybe you won't get any frost. We are a little above 3000 feet here, so we are definitely going to get it
I am going to have to drag sheets off dog beds or something to cover everything
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
Cover them with old sheets or plastic overnight if you think it is going to freeze, you should be good.
Do you think I could cover a grape vine with plastic? Like a tarp with duct tape?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadwing View Post
Gather up those cooties, freeze dry or pressure can them, as it might be survival food in the future. I think I read that post from one of the Mega posters on the C. Virus blog, heck he said heís an expert on all things survival related!

that's the funniest thing I have read today
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Who Dares Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Please quote me the rule that non preppers are not allowed to post in survivalist sections?
Does someone with a different opinion get automatically classified as a Troll ?
I get the feeling even if you are a prepper and disagree with certain posters, or post something they disagree with your immediately attacked as a non prepper or troll, Iíve had this happen to me. As in any survivalist category some are more prepared than others, and might not agree with what certain ďexpertsĒ state is the way it has to be or you are attacked. Just like Iím far from being perfect, so are they, so I generally ignore the sniping, and snark!
The Following User Says Thank You to Broadwing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 20,156 Times in 5,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Maybe an upside to the kung flu is many MORE young people will have their eyes opened as yours have. They've never seen shortages before and didn't think it could ever happen HERE.

Mass hysteria is very unpredictable. Thankfully that phase seems to be over.
While they are concerned about long term food shortages, as we all are, they are more concerned as to the lawlessness of the unwashed masses if they start to go hungry.

They all have months of stored long term food stuffs, water, firearms, etc. Not that they are fully practicing preppers, but they do have tons of common sense and I guided them through supplies like I was pushing life insurance for their kids benefit. They humored the crazy old man and stocked up. That was a couple of years ago.

No. their fear now is societal breakdown, cops arresting people for going parks, neighbors turning in neighbors for not following the rules. Add food shortages and the mind sees a possible frightening future. Like I said, they see this and think "Anne Frank" or "China's re-education camps". The crackdown has scared them far more than the virus. It's not like that here in Texas, yet.... but they see it on the internet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 08:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,578 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Most physicians are not any more informed on this than the average person. They get their information from the same primary sources. The information they get is just as filtered through political organizations. The doctors that actually go out and seek and then read the research for themselves are a clear minority. Until they have copious amounts of hands on experience to figure these things out for themselves they're just as likely to gave misinformation as the news.

And stopping people from worrying is not a proper role of a medical scientist. It is a political role. Sadly, you're right that most physicians will want to play politics the same as people here.
Based on the docs on here, I think you forgot a big one. Experience, hands on front line experience. I believe you are speaking for an awful lot of people and how they get info. While it may be true, my experience is it is best not to paint with too broad of a brush.

As to calming worry, information, true factual info can indeed do that. Information allows a person to chart a course of action, good or bad. Politics, IMHO, tends to play on emotion, not facts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 08:20 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,777 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
About a month ago I understood the deaths were no longer exponential but linear at about 2,000 deaths per day, which works out to 60K deaths per month.
Deaths are running more than 2000 per day.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:24 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,846 Times in 2,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post

While they (my grown children) are concerned about long term food shortages, as we all are, they are more concerned as to the lawlessness of the unwashed masses if they start to go hungry.

They all have months of stored long term food stuffs, water, firearms, etc. Not that they are fully practicing preppers, but they do have tons of common sense and I guided them through supplies like I was pushing life insurance for their kids benefit. They humored the crazy old man and stocked up. That was a couple of years ago.

No. their fear now is societal breakdown, cops arresting people for going parks, neighbors turning in neighbors for not following the rules. Add food shortages and the mind sees a possible frightening future. Like I said, they see this and think "Anne Frank" or "China's re-education camps". The crackdown has scared them far more than the virus. It's not like that here in Texas, yet.... but they see it on the internet

Not like that here in liberal Portland in the middle of the "left coast" either.

Where the heck does that stuff happen?

I mean, besides China?
Old 05-05-2020, 08:41 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,777 Times in 504 Posts

Planted more okra and pulled the last of my beets. This last batch will be frozen and added to smoothies. Had butter pea and a red cowpea stored in my frig the last 8 years. Put them in the ground hoping enough come up to produce fresh seed. Hopefully the rain stays steady and everything does well. Overall most everything looks good but the heat is just getting started. Still need to add eggplant transplants and stic a few potatoes n empty spots. Need to can a few beans. We’ve eaten most of what was shelved. Need to can more barbecue sauce.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post: