Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,777 Times in 504 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Please quote me the rule that non preppers are not allowed to post in survivalist sections?
Does someone with a different opinion get automatically classified as a Troll ?
Most of us have different opinions and we learn from each other but changing data, telling folks not to prep or fight for survival, injecting politics in every statement makes them a troll.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 07:53 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,939 Times in 10,010 Posts

Omaha, I am thinking about killing my life insurance. It is about $50 a month for a policy, 100K to him if I die. But these days he will pretty much have to go in a nursing home if I die, or someone live with him full time (not likely unless he can get an ex con or someone desperate to move in and help).

I weigh about 220 and bipolar, along with a family history of stroke and heart attack. So very unlikely I will get another policy this cheap. And it's not for me, it's for him.

I have been considering.

Our homeowners (the one that paid!) insurance sent us a renewal notice. $1500. Not bad considering. We were very happy with the coverage and everything. They paid pretty quick considering. I was able to make all repairs in my budget thanks to Carlos. We will definitely be sticking with them.

Ironic wrench is worried about being termed a troll. I only saw his post because GG quoted him. The block feature is often underused and I really enjoy using it.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:46 AM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 11,063 Times in 4,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post

Ironic wrench is worried about being termed a troll. I only saw his post because GG quoted him. The block feature is often underused and I really enjoy using it.
Goodwrench is never worried about being termed a troll. Mainly because most folks here have no clue what a troll is.
Seems like most use it when they aren’t smart enough to answer for themselves
Old 05-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Mod Certified PITA!

Thanked 21,598 Times in 7,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by down under View Post
Well, I might be a denier then, or a troll or an anti-prepper. I don't actually know what they mean but I'm not really that worried about this virus. I guess it's a glass half full/half empty thing. I'm just so grateful that it isn't killing a lot more people that I'm sorta relieved.

But there is a lot of fear around. Unnecessary in my view.
I would suggest ringing your local doctor.
Say 'I'm worried about this virus, what do I do?".
Then listen to what they say.
It's that simple.

If you check with your local doctor you will get good advice.
If they are your regular doctor you already know that they will give you good advice because they have helped you before.
Even if you have never met them before you can tell you are getting good advice because they are still there. Bad doctors don't last long.

These people make it their living to help people. Info of the TV and internet might be good but, seriously, it probably won't be as good as what they say.
If you aren't going to trust them then do whatever you like. Chances are the virus won't kill you anyway.
My doctor is extremely busy taking care of the sick. If your doctor isn't, maybe you've got a doctor nobody else wants to go to. Just saying.

Also, if you are convinced the virus isn't a problem, you could always try to get infected yourself to prove your case. Your firsthand account would be crucial evidence.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,538 Times in 12,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygrump View Post
Most of us have different opinions and we learn from each other but changing data, telling folks not to prep or fight for survival, injecting politics in every statement makes them a troll.
I was deeply troubled when a professor in b-school said 'everything is political.' I don't believe that is true. However, when dealing with a large plurality of the population who does believe it, what is one to do?

Think of that Chicago mayor who said, "Don't let a crisis got to waste," meaning leverage disasters to advance a political agenda. Think also of Nancy Pelosi delaying a bill to send disaster relief fund to Americans hurting so the Kennedy School of Performing Arts can be funded. Most of all, think about how contaminated with political slant the sources of information we get.

Honestly, I am sick of it and feel dirty when I realize how much in the 21st century is politicized. FFS, we cannot even talk about the weather without it being politicized with man-made global warming or is it climate change or is it climate disruption? The common denominator is globalism: all opposition to it is demonized while it is offered as the solution to all our problems. In these threads, people refer to WHO and the CDC as if they are some kind of deities with power and knowledge far beyond those of mortal men.

One consequence to the lockdown is parents home schooling their kids. Heard on the radio a college professor lamenting the dangers of that. She asserted that kids have the right to be exposed to different world views. Implied is the acknowledgment that when we send our kids to public schools, they are being indoctrinated in some default world view.

No. They can't politicize everything and not expect politicking to be criticized, condemned and complained about.
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Wile E Coyote, Genius.

Thanked 83,588 Times in 24,188 Posts

Companies can relocate if they find the US is too risk averse to reopening.

Are Mexico, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Korea shot down and paralyzed like the US is right now?

Business and survival are about the ability to compete.

An animal in the wild that just lays down for 2 months is pretty much a dead animal unless it is hibernating.

The animal that keeps fighting even though a hyena is biting it on the ass is the survivor.

This disease may kill 100 to 400 thousand Americans. But the remaining people need to keep competing or die.

And unless a cure is found, all that a continued shutdown accomplishes is a delay in when those people die.

And yes, it will be very traumatic for the hospital workers to be basically powerless to stop all those deaths.

They can give them basic supportive care and that's about it, until a proven cure happens along.

Just my opinion.

My suggestion is to fully reopen for business, and everyone start wearing their PPE in public contact areas.
Businesses and schools should continue remote working to the maximum extent.

But sporting arenas, concerts and cruise ships need to remain shut down. They provide nothing to society valuable enough to offset the risks they impose.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 09:30 AM
Retired kafir

Thanked 61,530 Times in 13,862 Posts
Talking I hope nobody here did this

Quote:
A covidiot killed the bug– and his bottom line too.

A banker claims a man tried to “exchange” some cash after tossing his dough in a microwave in an attempt to “kill” the coronavirus.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/banker...l-coronavirus/

Don't do this with your mail either.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:33 AM
Possum Lover

I'm in my 40's. I grew up on the east coast, raised in a good school system until age 10. Then my parents moved out to the west coast. The schools were supposedly really good but I was way ahead of my classes and just basically read all day and took tests.

Liberal agendas were introduced then and heavily promoted, but I had my own thought system by then and blew it off.

For instance, in biology we had an 8 week course on "evolution" and you had to memorize all the different stages if you wanted to graduate. Any conservative Christian views were mocked and flunked.

Even the churches out there were terrible, I had one youth pastor said Jesus never did any miracles and "explained" how he had been taught that. Other stuff that was not Biblical. Gay kids in Bible camp and we had to be "supportive" of his sexual exploration. He took a shine to me for some reason but I had a guy I already liked back home. No real evangelism our "mission trips" were outings to Mexico to do good works, NEVER talk about Jesus, no Bibles or tracts distributed, no salvation message, and then go to Disney on the way home.

And this was all over 30 years ago.

Lag there was a poster all paranoid about disinfecting her mail and wanted to know if she could nuke it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 10:25 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moccasin View Post
My doctor is extremely busy taking care of the sick. If your doctor isn't, maybe you've got a doctor nobody else wants to go to. Just saying.

Also, if you are convinced the virus isn't a problem, you could always try to get infected yourself to prove your case. Your firsthand account would be crucial evidence.
Its all good, Moccasin. The info wasn't for you. You've got everything sorted.

MTShawn put it much better than I ever will be able to in another thread.
People come to sites like this to get info because they can't get it from the media. They get anything from "Hug someone from China to stop the virus" to "It is a Chinese/Russian/Muslim/insert-bad-guy hoax to control the world".
What I'm suggesting to people who want information about the disease is ask someone who is trained to deal with diseases, a doctor. Sounds like common sense to me.
The doctors are busy, yes, but a large part of what they do is stopping people from worrying. You don't have to be bleeding from a gunshot wound to need healing.
What they will more than likely say is "Don't worry, keep 6 feet away from other people when you go out, wash your hands regularly and don't touch your face. If you get a fever or cough call me."

PS: Mod Certified PITA! is a great line.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,652 Times in 7,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Companies can relocate if they find the US is too risk averse to reopening.

Are Mexico, China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Korea shot down and paralyzed like the US is right now?

Business and survival are about the ability to compete.

An animal in the wild that just lays down for 2 months is pretty much a dead animal unless it is hibernating.

The animal that keeps fighting even though a hyena is biting it on the ass is the survivor.

This disease may kill 100 to 400 thousand Americans. But the remaining people need to keep competing or die.

And unless a cure is found, all that a continued shutdown accomplishes is a delay in when those people die.

And yes, it will be very traumatic for the hospital workers to be basically powerless to stop all those deaths.

They can give them basic supportive care and that's about it, until a proven cure happens along.

Just my opinion.

My suggestion is to fully reopen for business, and everyone start wearing their PPE in public contact areas.
Businesses and schools should continue remote working to the maximum extent.

But sporting arenas and cruise ships need to remain shut down. They provide nothing to society valuable enough to offset the risks they impose.
This is the nice thing about being prepared. When the world reopens because "we need to" it won't be the people with resources on the front lines doing what "we need". Those people are safe to manage their risk of exposure and death. Using others to do it for them.

If you aren't prepared to stay home or avoid unneeded contact, take comfort in the fact the wealthy are relying on you to keep them wealthy and safe. And the prepared are too. There are too many people so some can easily be sacrificed for the greater good of society. The wealthy will continue to take their private plane from one mansion to the other while you fly coach with the rest of society.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 8,514 Times in 3,452 Posts

Since this has seemingly become a site to laugh at preppers by political shills, i don't care too much anymore. I got great information here, till everything started turning political again. Now the place is full of unscientific info and even info which does nothing but cause harm. Not what i'm here for. If you start getting better info from the MSM than Survivalistboards, on a prepper issue, is when you know the place is gone.

Rhetorical question: Does anyone know a good forum for preppers and survivalists?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 11:28 AM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,826 Times in 2,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
"I'm leaving" vs "people are leaving and posting less and this is a bad trend."

Please note the difference, both in motovation, and detail.
I simply answered a rules question- no more and no less
Old 05-05-2020, 12:01 PM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

At the moment, my wife is getting better info from her buddies on FB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,826 Times in 2,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Please quote me the rule that non preppers are not allowed to post in survivalist sections?
<SNIP>
Well, since you asked

There Are rules about thread derailing, not staying on topic, insulting members and other rules making it clear to stay on topic, treat other members well, frame your comments with some degree of manners and/ or start your own thread of another topic.

It has never been allowed to post to insult, name calling, trolling for an argument in the main forums. For very good reasons. Also this constant interjection of partisan politics into nearly every thread regardless of topic is clearly forbidden. Especially since we have an entire sub-forum devoted to politics

These are also not new rules btw .
Old 05-05-2020, 12:15 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,860 Times in 883 Posts

It sure would be nice if others would stop quoting those on my ignore list. Which is pretty much everyone who has posted more than once proving they are anti-prepping, anti-survival or a virus-denier.

My weather is still rainy and in the 40s. Looks like another good day to do inside stuff. Annoyingly, my older incubator has died. At least it did so at the start of a new batch instead of waiting a couple weeks. I've got a replacement on the way, but am also going to order replacement parts for the newer model I use now. FYI: if you use an automatic egg turner, the motor is easy to replace and is good to have a spare.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:05 PM
Possum Lover

Talked to adult protective services today... it was one of my blog readers made the report. Venting about him "missing" the urinal is much different from the house being laden with urine and feces... The poor caseworker.

She said she wants to close it (the reports) but has to run it past her boss first, so it sounds like it is over.

That is a load off. She kept trying to get us on food stamps. I told her, I weigh over 200#, I don't need any more food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:32 PM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 20,156 Times in 5,172 Posts

This COVID-19 reaction stuff has done me a great turn. My kids have seen how fast a society can panic and the damage it can do to the economy and the food chain.

They just informed me they will match my monthly expenditures getting the retreat to fully functional status of housing 10 people! Woo Hoo! Triple the monthly funds!

My oldest told they had been discussing it among themselves for weeks and that some local governments asking you to report neighbors not wearing masks had done the trick. They know history and where this could lead and want a place to take the grandkids if it goes further down that path.

More retreat monies!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post
This COVID-19 reaction stuff has done me a great turn. My kids have seen how fast a society can panic and the damage it can do to the economy and the food chain.

They just informed me they will match my monthly expenditures getting the retreat to fully functional status of housing 10 people! Woo Hoo! Triple the monthly funds!

Well you raised them right Sky! This is great news. Congrats on leading by example, best of luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goldstar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 02:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,518 Times in 4,680 Posts

I find it really irritating of people here that disagree with someone else’s opinion to be called trolls and non survivalists ( or whatever label they want to put on someone) .

Keep in mind almost ALL of the things related to corona are opinion , maybe even ALL, since there are no definite numbers on anything, you can’t believe the media, you can’t trust Fauci , and even if I voted for him and will again, I don’t even trust Trump on this one. So, you have no facts, and all you have is opinion and what you personally observe.

So, with little to no facts, I would go with the death numbers of countries that are not as corrupt as the U.S and personal observations.

The numbers show deaths of much much much less than 1% of the population regardless of how much the country is shut down. Many of those are older with health problems. Anyone want to argue that? And please don’t tell me “they will happen in the future”! That didn’t work out when we were all assumed in January there would be “millions of deaths” . You can’t predict the future. Only way to find out is live it.

This country and others would function just fine with 1% less population, especially if they are old and or sick. Anyone want to argue with that?

This and all other countries cannot function if people are shut in their homes, most businesses closed, people prevented from living their lives, travel stopped, industry shut down. We will at the very least turn into something that resembles Venezuela , maybe worse. Anyone want to argue this?

All of you that want things to continue as is ( shut down) have no plan of restarting the economy at all or do you? You can’t say “there will be a vaccine” since you have absolutely no way of knowing if and when there will be one. Same with medication to fix it.

A fair plan to me would be this: let everyone that wants to open, and not social distance do it. Let every one that wants to stay home, or wear PPE do it. Don’t try to force other people to do what you want them to do! Just mind your own business! If you stay home, and only go out with heavy duty PPE or stay home period, what business of your’s is it what I do? Or if the shop down the road, or the restaurant or the bar is open? It’s not your ****ing business. Don’t go there, nobody forces you.

If you are a medical person and have no PPE, and the hospital you work at doesn’t provide you with any, QUIT! Very simple. Go work somewhere else or stay home.

If you are a medical person and HAVE PPE, and still get infected, I guess you weren’t very good at your job ( this is what my friend who is a RN in Florida said !)

I really don’t see what those of you that want the shut down continued are worried about that is any of YOUR business. If you don’t want to get it, stay home, or wear PPE! Very simple. Why try to ruin the entire country over this?

And please, don’t bother with personal insults. If you want to respond to this post, at least come up with something intelligent and worth while, not some emotionalism, or personal attacks that have nothing to do with the topic. I am tired of hearing about the “poor grandma in the nursing home”! If you have one, take her out, put her in your house and stay home! Really. Other people’s grandmas are none of your business.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 02:39 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,860 Times in 883 Posts

This seems like a good day to try out a new recipe...scrolling through my bookmarked recipes...and the winner is: Rhubarb Crunch! Although it may make me regret not having any vanilla ice cream.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post: