Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 34,491 Times in 12,064 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
I thought this was refreshing: a BBC coverage of an American politician that wasn't mocking. It's talking about the Ohio governor who took early precautions against the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52113186
Still, as of yesterday Ohio was the 5th or 6th most infected State. Not sure if that normalizes for population.

IMO, DeWine and Trump have done well in the crisis.
Be prudent, always. Worry, never. Jer 15:16
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:35 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 41,618 Times in 9,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Ghost, check out the Encyclopedia of Country Living, well worth the $40.

Thanks, Seacow, that answered a lot of questions I had.

Going to the vet today, one cat has a small laceration. She is elderly so we are concerned. Our regular vet is closed so we are going to the next-nearest, who have good reviews. Hopefully they can give her an injection and not tablets because she is horrible about taking medication.

I am just glad my FLUTD cat did not get another blockage, that is incredibly painful for him and our wallet.
Will you PLEASE stop going out and doing errands? I've read dozens of your posts now these weeks about you running errands, taking public transport, etc. STAY PUT IN YOUR HOME UNLESS IT'S AN EMERGENCY!

A small laceration can be cleaned and bandaged unless it's serious or infected.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,908 Times in 10,000 Posts

It was pretty nasty about the size of a quarter, on a cat that's pretty big. I didn't go anywhere but the vet and took the same cab both times, they had me sit in a folding chair in the parking lot the whole time (kept cat inside until the ride arrived), vet came out wearing a mask and spoke to me about treatment. It was all done according to guidelines.

Considering I have had drivers HACKING all over us every time we ride to our essential job I am not overly worried. If I get it, it won't be from a trip to the store or the vet, it's going to be a paratransit driver or other passenger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:34 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,768 Times in 500 Posts

Spent the day making soap. Needed a batch to use with dry ingredients and make laundry soap and a batch of gardening soap. I’d forgotten how big a mess it makes. Tomorrow I need bath soap and shaving soap. I need lotion bars and body butter. May need to take a day between and head back to the garden.

Between the stress and working all day I have no trouble sleeping. Most days I’m taking a nap. I’m not complaining. We are comfortable. But coming up with 3 meals a day is hard.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Possum Lover

Soap is fun, I felt like a mad scientist. Do you stir by hand or use the stick blender?

My cats would get into it if I started again so I just buy nice soap or ask for it as a gift from family. Mom sent me some "Amish" soap for Christmas I am still using.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,506 Times in 4,676 Posts

Quote:
It was pretty nasty about the size of a quarter, on a cat that's pretty big. I didn't go anywhere but the vet and took the same cab both times, they had me sit in a folding chair in the parking lot the whole time (kept cat inside until the ride arrived), vet came out wearing a mask and spoke to me about treatment. It was all done according to guidelines.

Considering I have had drivers HACKING all over us every time we ride to our essential job I am not overly worried. If I get it, it won't be from a trip to the store or the vet, it's going to be a paratransit driver or other passenger.
Have to say this, your cat most likely did not need to go to the vet or need an antibiotic. Pet vets will prescribe them if you ask, but they really are rarely necessary unless it's a really bad infection. I don't give any of our animals ( dogs , goats or sheep) antibiotics unless they are having a high temp, or visible infection. You should let it heal itself if possible first. This sort of thing causes antibiotic resistance. Same with dewormers. Only use if absolutely needed.

You do go out a lot more than you should...saying that as a friend...please try to stay home if possible...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Survivor

Can I just say something bad here? ****ING CHINA [email protected]$##$#(!!!$$%)%@
May the asteroid fall on top of your heads, the earth split open and swallow you up , and all the rivers overflow and flood the entire ****hole!

There , that felt good!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,567 Times in 6,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Can I just say something bad here? ****ING CHINA [email protected]$##$#(!!!$$%)%@
May the asteroid fall on top of your heads, the earth split open and swallow you up , and all the rivers overflow and flood the entire ****hole!

There , that felt good!
I would like to remind you though, that the majority of the Chinese are not responsible for this. They are ordinary everyday people just like you and I. All they care about is getting by and taking care of their families. I think it is important to point out that the ones we should be angry at is the Chinese government, Not necessarily the Chinese lady making tomorrow's lunch at yor local Chinese food restaurant.

P.S. Sonya, this is not necessarily aimed at you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 05:17 PM
Possum Lover

It's just a couple of jackass scientists and party leaders who did this. I am sure some said no and were killed or imprisoned for it. I feel for them and their families.

Remember China is the one nation that will guarantee you get your organ transplant, they match you to a prisoner, execute them, and harvest their organ(s) out of the back of an ambulance and then take them to surgery for you. And the recipients go there knowing this.

I can't imagine living there.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
I would like to remind you though, that the majority of the Chinese are not responsible for this. They are ordinary everyday people just like you and I. All they care about is getting by and taking care of their families. I think it is important to point out that the ones we should be angry at is the Chinese government, Not necessarily the Chinese lady making tomorrow's lunch at yor local Chinese food restaurant.

P.S. Sonya, this is not necessarily aimed at you.
No problem. I meant their government mostly. But, the people living in a country are responsible for their government. If they tolerate it in such great numbers, they must agree with it. Once people in the Soviet Union got tired of the way things were, they revolted. I don't see this happening in China. Also, their government doesn't make them eat nasty stuff that should not be on the menu, and that is at least partially responsible for the virus. Even if it came out of the lab, the lab existed to study some other viruses that were caused by them eating crap like bats

I have a Chinese American friend btw. She is a U.S. citizen and I don't hold her responsible for this in any way
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,819 Times in 2,204 Posts

Well, to be fair China is not even a democracy so .......The people don't have that much say in anything, and they're unarmed as well, unlike the .Gov there
Old 04-01-2020, 07:13 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,567 Times in 6,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
No problem. I meant their government mostly. But, the people living in a country are responsible for their government. If they tolerate it in such great numbers, they must agree with it. Once people in the Soviet Union got tired of the way things were, they revolted. I don't see this happening in China. Also, their government doesn't make them eat nasty stuff that should not be on the menu, and that is at least partially responsible for the virus. Even if it came out of the lab, the lab existed to study some other viruses that were caused by them eating crap like bats

I have a Chinese American friend btw. She is a U.S. citizen and I don't hold her responsible for this in any way
I understand what you are saying but they did try to revolt one time, Remember Tienamin Square? I was just pointing out that after 9/11 we had a big distrust of all Muslims in this country ( And I still do not trust them) But this is different because the people of China are no more responsible for this than we are for allowing Benghazi to happen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 07:35 PM
Possum Lover

I am leery of Asians in my area just trying to avoid close contact, because odds are they were exposed. One of the first cases in Harris County (Houston) was an Asian who traveled overseas, got it, came back, they were in the community contagious for some time spreading it to other Asians. That person lived in my area of the unincorporated county... so leery. I am nice to everyone though.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:47 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,846 Times in 2,165 Posts

Quote:
It's just a couple of jackass scientists and party leaders who did this. I am sure some said no and were killed or imprisoned for it. I feel for them and their families.

Remember China is the one nation that will guarantee you get your organ transplant, they match you to a prisoner, execute them, and harvest their organ(s) out of the back of an ambulance and then take them to surgery for you. And the recipients go there knowing this.

I can't imagine living there.
No no no, this is totally wrong. I'm sorry, but I have to correct this misconception.

They don't execute them first.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Possum Lover

It is already starting.

My street is a block long, has about 20 houses. 3 of them, to my knowledge, are rentals. #2 is right next to me, has a lot of issues but better now. #8 is very careful vetting his tenants and overall they are very quiet. #10 rents to trash. Always loud ignorant dramas going on, and huge piles of trash and weeks of trades guys making repairs everytime they flip it.

I have been expecting trouble from #10 he has clearly never lived in a nice neighborhood, very loud and ignorant. The other day I saw him storming up and down the street, clearly assessing each house as he passed it.

I will occasionally smoke hemp (decriminalized) in my chair out front, at night before I go to bed. I find it very relaxing. Today I had the lit cigarette in my hand leaving the house when I saw #10, walking up #7's (directly across the street from me), driveway, clearly wanting/pestering #7 for something doing the whole "I'm just a poor ignorant fellow you have to help me because I'm entitled". I watched for a few seconds, turned around, and went right back in the house. NO THANKS.

I am sure sooner or later I will have to say no to him but I plan to avoid seeing him at all if I can. I am sure he will see a middle aged white woman in glasses as no threat, especially when he gets a look at my train wreck in his wheelchair.

Ugh. Hopefully I can avoid confrontation for a while. I just had a long conversation with my husband explaining why I can't own a gun or even ammo.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 PM
I am interrogative, yes.

Thanked 2,333 Times in 579 Posts

Today the (official) number of dead in our county doubled and the county issued a call for "volunteers, especially people with medical backgrounds." I assume this means our hospitals are going under. There's no way to see current ER wait times in our area and all online ER check-ins have been disabled. Please pray for medical personnel if you're the praying type. God help us.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GrayFoal2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,899 Times in 5,704 Posts

It's at 5110 as I type this, likely higher.

It's been a rough four or five years for us, and I've woken up and remembered a recent loss of a loved one or a current fear. I've a relative who went into the ER today. Hard to get status, family members, his immediate family was sent away as they dropped him off. Got solid indications our dangerous job just got a whole lot more dangerous. From essential to expendable, but the shocking thing is, even with our inadequate gear, we'll be better equipped than nurses and doctors.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 01:38 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,768 Times in 500 Posts

Had to hold of making more soap today. My kitchen table is covered in soap supplies. Maybe tomorrow. Husband was concerned we didn’t have any bread.

I spent the morning making different kinds of muffins and a loaf of bread. I need to make a stack of waffles for the freezer but I’m out of eggs. The muffins and waffles are something he can make for an easy breakfast. Chickens are doing good but all three households are eating more eggs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 02:25 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,819 Times in 2,204 Posts

Well, one thing for sure hasn't changed; I still how to mow my big lawn.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:14 PM
Loooooooong time Lurker

I searched using bing to see if this has been posted, but it did not appear so. Y'all may have already seen it, and you may or may not find it entertaining. I don't think I can embed the video, but follow the link or search for it yourself. It's worth a watch, but be warned, it's catchy. Mat Best - "Quarantine"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TxGrunt For This Useful Post: