Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-22-2020, 02:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,899 Times in 5,704 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
An ex-girlfriend is a nurse in Washington. She's scared. I can confirm they are out of or short on masks. She said they are using them repeatedly until the masks fall apart.

I have another friend in Michigan in healthcare, and reports are true they are simply out of masks. A nurse was in a baby delivery without a mask. They have none for non-Covid care workers. The masks are severely rationed.
I offered two hundred surgical masks I have, was declined. At this point, they are only accepting ones picked up through channels. Only they're not getting them.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Anti-Social

Thanked 1,533 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
I just heard that Multicare is NOT providing N95 masks to it's nurses and is prohibiting them from wearing any masks not provided. They are given one mask a day. One. and it's a simple surgical mask with no rating.

We are operating like it's the 3rd World.

I wonder how the unfortunate folks in the 3rd world are operating.
At my hospital we were told that anyone not fitted in the past year for an N95 is not permitted to wear one. This is equivalent to saying if you can't be 95% protected we don't want you protected at all. Even if a mis-fitted mask "only" protects from 80% of pathogens rather than 95%, it's better than nothing. Again genius at work here. The reason most of us were not fitted is b/c they are "too expensive" to waste by fitting us each year. Not our choice, the hospitals!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Possum-Pie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 03:10 PM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

I have to admit - were I front line hospital staff, I'd take the position - if the 'suits' are not right there sharing the risk and helping out - they don't get to decide my safety for me.

If a bandana helps a little - don't tell me to not wear one. or hair net, cooks apron, construction trash bag - what the heck ever I think might help if they give me nothing..
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,699 Times in 1,391 Posts

Out here in my neck of the woods a barter system is already cropping up.

My area has a local facebook page where folks talk politics and trade recipes and such.

For the last few days they've now gone to trading milk, meat, eggs, veggies, and seeds. It's spring so some of that is natural.

But eggs seem to be the big item. Almost everyone is selling eggs under the agreement that you must pick them up and leave cash or whatever is agreed upon. Social distancing is being observed.

I even saw one guy offer dump truck services for exchange.

All of it is being done with a very cooperative community spirit. At least for now.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:31 PM

Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,250 Posts

I hate all the told-ya-so's etc. that are going on out there...

I don't mean you guys and gals and the things you say (or the things I say)...

I mean instead the people who say the wrong things--- the people who are trying to have the right-answer-to-the-right-answer, the contrarians...

For instance... it's a pandemic... ok, everybody thinks to get hand sanitizer...

Then naturally what's the next thing that happens? In this day and age of Internet headlines that constantly purport to tell you that you're doing something wrong, everybody's saying "soap and water works better"....

Guess what? I want to use hand sanitizer. It's easier, and it still kills viruses, and my hands are going to get less dry and sore during the winter if I use hand sanitizer part of the time.

Guess what else? I'll probably do something about my hands more frequently if I have hand sanitizer around, and not just soap and water.

And guess what else? Hospitals still have had hand sanitizer up all over the place right up until now, and it's been that way for a long, long time. It's good enough for health care workers (I know their protocols are that they're supposed to wash their hands at certain times, but my point still stands-- they use hand sanitizer other times).

A lot of people, especially corporate mainstream media and politicians, are really wowing me with the things they're saying.

It's like they're setting you up with all the excuses to act like a completely stupid sheeple. It might have to do with keeping people from panicking and with avoiding unrest, but even if that's true, I think it goes too far.

For another example...

Advice about social distancing seems contradictory at this point. Heard some official at a press conference saying something like "Social distancing does not mean disrupting your normal, everyday life..." Sounded just like some libtard trying to convince me that dangerous criminals are the real victims... Like, the tone of voice and wording of someone trying to be a smarter-than-thou social critic...

I think the high-ranking politicians have been scammed real good. All those people should be wearing masks when around others in public!

C'mon!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:39 PM
Endure ~ Adapt ~ Overcome

Saturday after work, driving home I see people walking they`re dogs, pushing baby strollers down the sidewalk, people Jogging and Im thinking WTF?

Then it dawned on me........... Oh I live in So. Cal. where people are not all that bright to begin with.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MRBEALE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 PM

Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
I offered two hundred surgical masks I have, was declined. At this point, they are only accepting ones picked up through channels. Only they're not getting them.
Right, they're putting it in the news that you shouldn't buy masks... they even had the surgeon general say it...

But guess where they don't get masks from? The places I buy them from...

And guess what else they didn't do? Prohibit us from buying masks.

The smart thing to do if you don't want your household to get sick is to wear a mask... they allow us to wear masks...

And then they put these media messages out that imply that people who get masks are bad, and they show us over and over again, the President and a half dozen subordinates and advisors all standing right next to each other, and not wearing masks.

Meanwhile, in Asia, you can go ahead and wear a mask as much as you want.

It's not just a coronavirus pandemic, it's a coronavirus, O r w * l l i a n, d y s t l p i a n nation...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 AM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,876 Times in 888 Posts

Something that's been bugging me about that goat discussion; the poster had been raising goats for years presumably, knew they would need lots of milk around now, also knew from being on here that the pandemic was serious and shortages would occur...so why didn't they prep milk replacer already?

I hatch out chicks every spring, so I keep chick starter feed on hand all the time. It's a prep even in normal times.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 05:01 AM
boringly normal

Neil Diamond on Twitter rewrote Sweet Caroline for the pandemic.

Worth finding if you are a fan.

My peers have to stop getting older damnit! It makes it harder to pretend I'm not!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 05:36 AM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,636 Times in 912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
Something that's been bugging me about that goat discussion; the poster had been raising goats for years presumably, knew they would need lots of milk around now, also knew from being on here that the pandemic was serious and shortages would occur...so why didn't they prep milk replacer already?

I hatch out chicks every spring, so I keep chick starter feed on hand all the time. It's a prep even in normal times.
Let it go friend. Just let it go lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 05:41 AM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
An ex-girlfriend is a nurse in Washington. She's scared. I can confirm they are out of or short on masks. She said they are using them repeatedly until the masks fall apart.

I have another friend in Michigan in healthcare, and reports are true they are simply out of masks. A nurse was in a baby delivery without a mask. They have none for non-Covid care workers. The masks are severely rationed.
I can second this confirmation. Have a cousin I'm close to who is a labor and delivery nurse in Ohio at a REALLY well known STATE hospital in Columbus (Go Bucks!)

They're either really low or are out depending on the department according to her.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,537 Times in 4,686 Posts

I am really irritated right now with people on this forum that seem to take such offense at my posts. I dare you to buy a farm, if you have never done it before and a few years later have everything running perfectly, are perfectly stocked up indefinitely on every possible thing you could ever need so you don't leave the house ever again , so you don't catch this ****ing virus that does very little to around 80% of the population.

At least we are not sitting in some ****hole city stuck in an apartment counting roles of toilet paper. At least we have food, and will not run out of meat , we can always eat the goats. At least we do have all the protective gear we need to go shopping if we need or want to. Do you? Or is all this negativity about what I post on here jealousy because you are not prepared and down to the last roll of toilet paper?

I don't even know why I bother posting on here sometimes
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 06:14 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,085 Times in 10,082 Posts

"They're not going to decide who gets the vent". BULL ****ING ****. "Everyone who needs one will get one!"

Oh, yeah, a 91 year old black lady with dementia is going to get the same care as Britney's kid. You really think so?

"Oh, well they WILL give machines to those most likely to make it..." and THEY get to decide who it is. That's the whole point. At first they will have an "ethics" meeting like they did with my husband (thank God he was off the vent by the time that rolled around), then it will just be made on the fly, they get it, you don't.

You will NOT be getting it unless you are rich, young, "valuable", a "producer" etc. A guy retired on disability? Nope.

My husband? Hell no.

Me? Absolutely not.

Good thing we don't want it anyway because I DOUBT we will have a choice.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 07:01 AM
Prepared

Great rant on the first page, sonya1.
This bit had me a bit confused until I read down and saw you have goats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
we are putting in 16 hour days lately again, babies are arriving like crazy and I have barely time to cook
And don't worry about the armchair experts. Generally if they have everything under control it's because they aren't doing anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to down under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,095 Posts

Stay strong Sonya,
I enjoy your posts.

My biggest problem is giving up space in my beer fridge for (Gasp!) food.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 07:05 AM
Republic of Texas

How to know you've either been blogging too long or really need to drink less coffee:

You use the phrase "our fungi brethren" in a post about foods that can be frozen...and you leave it there because it's funny.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 07:53 AM
boringly normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
How to know you've either been blogging too long or really need to drink less coffee:

You use the phrase "our fungi brethren" in a post about foods that can be frozen...and you leave it there because it's funny.
We need every bit of humor we can get! I read the surgeon general said this morning 'this week its going to get bad'. Bring on the humor, lame or otherwise.

Mine is offbeat enough I don't think many get it, sadly. Maybe I should start using /joke or something.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimDave View Post
We need every bit of humor we can get! I read the surgeon general said this morning 'this week its going to get bad'. Bring on the humor, lame or otherwise.

Mine is offbeat enough I don't think many get it, sadly. Maybe I should start using /joke or something.
Yeah I saw the same thing. Hopefully it doesnt get too bad.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
"They're not going to decide who gets the vent". BULL ****ING ****. "Everyone who needs one will get one!"

Oh, yeah, a 91 year old black lady with dementia is going to get the same care as Britney's kid. You really think so?

"Oh, well they WILL give machines to those most likely to make it..." and THEY get to decide who it is. That's the whole point. At first they will have an "ethics" meeting like they did with my husband (thank God he was off the vent by the time that rolled around), then it will just be made on the fly, they get it, you don't.

You will NOT be getting it unless you are rich, young, "valuable", a "producer" etc. A guy retired on disability? Nope.

My husband? Hell no.

Me? Absolutely not.

Good thing we don't want it anyway because I DOUBT we will have a choice.
You are right, when there are 1000 people needing a machine and we only have 25 of them there will be decisions that have to be made.

How we make these will be judged by history. I for one am glad I do not have to make such decisions.

I do take exception to people who frame the debate and make it sound like under normal circumstances we at the hospital look at people's financing prior to treating them. You can not have two pennies to rub together and if you get wheeled into our ER you will get treated end of the story. Will you have a huge bill waiting, yup but you are not going to die due to lack of money. Now if you and 5000 other folks show up at the same time then, of course, we will have a problem.

Make no mistake folks plenty of people with the best insurance plan and plenty of money are going to find themselves in the same spot as the dirt poor when it comes to shortages in machines. 500 people wanting the same 25 vents means 475 are going to be disappointed regardless of finances.

Our system in the USA is far from perfect but based on how well the government handles other responsibilities we have bestowed on them I hesitate to look to them for the answer to our prayers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,767 Times in 6,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
I don't even know why I bother posting on here sometimes
Because you are a valuable member of this community and have many friends on here that are concerned about you (myself included) we would miss you if you left. So don't worry about a negative post from someone who obviously is more concerned about criticizing someone than getting relevant information about our current situation. Stay strong sister.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post: