Notices

Advertise Here

Old 03-21-2020, 04:10 PM
Combat marxism Now!

Thanked 23,912 Times in 5,985 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I wonder if isolation makes us more susceptible if exposed? Does our body build up antibodies when we on occasion pick up a low population of viruses and don't become infected?
Not at all. This virus, upon contact with a cell, immediately attaches to the cell and replicates. This happens instantly, most people think that it can be washed out of the nasal passages or the mouth. By the time just one cell is infected, it's too late.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Combat marxism Now!

Just thinking aloud here....

I had hoped to meet a few members here. There are a number of posters here that I truly admire. Not just because they are intelligent or contribute worthwhile information. But because they seem like the kind of truly good people I would like to spend time with.

The Chinese virus has put a sudden end to my travels, as our flight department is shut down. If we survive this, let's meet up and put faces to names.

That's me on the left, flying our Stemme S10 motorglider heading to Peenemunde, Germany. Where the Germans developed and launched the V2 rockets.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 23,567 Times in 6,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Just thinking aloud here....

I had hoped to meet a few members here. There are a number of posters here that I truly admire. Not just because they are intelligent or contribute worthwhile information. But because they seem like the kind of truly good people I would like to spend time with.

The Chinese virus has put a sudden end to my travels, as our flight department is shut down. If we survive this, let's meet up and put faces to names.

That's me on the left, flying our Stemme S10 motorglider heading to Peenemunde, Germany. Where the Germans developed and launched the V2 rockets.

I have to say brother, you do not look anything like I pictured you to look like, but that is a good thing too. I actually pictured you as an old Knarley redneck
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
I have to say brother, you do not look anything like I pictured you to look like, but that is a good thing too. I actually pictured you as an old Knarley redneck
This is me and my newest granddaughter last year. Her name is Quinn, and yes I am a very proud papa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo0Qf4tjvlE.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	300004
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 08:41 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,819 Times in 2,204 Posts

She is a cutie Ghost, you have every reason to be proud!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:32 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 41,620 Times in 9,589 Posts

Well, for those still not believing this can be real, it hit close to home for me today.

An old girlfriend and someone I'm still friends with just posted on facebook. Her teenage college athlete daughter just died this morning. The vague post hinted at sudden onset lung related problems. This teenager was incredibly athletic. I'm in a bit of disbelief at the moment.

Tried calling to express sympathies. Friends' facebook is lit up, and no answer, and VM full.

Unreal. I may be jumping to conclusions but I find it hard to believe she would develop a lung problem and immediately die without a link to this virus. I'm speculating a little, and may not ever know the real cause and I certainly won't be asking. If she posts, I'll update.

I'm saddened and stunned, and cannot imagine the grief.

Middle girl in this picture.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Well, for those still not believing this can be real, it hit close to home for me today.

An old girlfriend and someone I'm still friends with just posted on facebook. Her teenage college athlete daughter just died this morning. The vague post hinted at sudden onset lung related problems. This teenager was incredibly athletic. I'm in a bit of disbelief at the moment.

Tried calling to express sympathies. Friends' facebook is lit up, and no answer, and VM full.

Unreal. I may be jumping to conclusions but I find it hard to believe she would develop a lung problem and immediately die without a link to this virus. I'm speculating a little, and may not ever know the real cause and I certainly won't be asking. If she posts, I'll update.

I'm saddened and stunned, and cannot imagine the grief.

Middle girl in this picture.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's loss. I know I have been saying this a lot lately but I will keep her in my prayers.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:03 AM
Combat marxism Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
Oh, you have no idea, and you got it right. Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, homemade rocket engines and gas turbine engines, jet powered dry lake racer, large explosions, backyard shooting range..... I just have to look professional for work. And yes, I gave myself a black eye last night, by pulling hard on a part in the vise, which suddenly let go, resulting in me punching myself in the eye. Hahahahaha, very redneck.

I wish I were in better shape, but severe fatigue/Hashimoto's/MCTD (autoimmune) has stripped me of a lifetime of athleticism. I'm 100% sure I won't survive the virus if I contract it. The MCTD has weakened all muscles including heart and lungs. But, I'll take the old racing bicycle out this morning and go 5mph instead of 21, but hell, I'm above ground.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 07:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,086 Posts

Jokes about this whole situation are fine. I love the dumb stuff posted on social media and the dark humor. I get it. I have a sick sense of humor too. That's just for fun. But on the serious side, I want to smack the crap out of the idiot kids I see doing exactly what they shouldn't. As a kid, I did some really stupid things, but neither I nor my friends were as completely... I'm not sure, 'doof-like' as some of these morons. As to the adult disbelievers... I get it. I've read the alternate math models that show how U.S. may be different. And I hold out hope that we're learning so much so fast that maybe some meds could help mitigate this before it turns into a storm.

However, I have two major problems:

* While I'm a 'basic' suburban prepper that doesn't need to get more stuff for months if necessary, (even if I choose to), I'm also not some homesteading farmer in the middle or nowhere. So we're reasonably well prepped for you medium duration SHTF and not part of the hoarder problem. But for all our preps, while I work in tech for my day job I'm also a firefighter/EMT. So for all the stuff I've done for my family, when this stuff blows up, I'll probably be out there with my squad doing things that I know will be some risk. And not normal risk. It's dangerous every time we roll out, but it's the kind of risks where I'm maybe I'm in an overturned car or there's something burning a for awhile. Fine. None of that is anything I potentially bring home to my family. But this? For this I don't have my tough guy tools to fight. We have some little masks and gowns; which should work just fine. Unless we make one little mistake. Or if just someone a tiny bit of microbial crap gets by. I can't smash that with an axe or tear it apart with a saw. We're lucky in that we have a fairly large house. So we have plans - like many in healthcare are forming - for me to try to live in another part of house if I get sick. Some are already moving kids to relatives for the duration.

* cujet talked about how he has concerns about his MIL in assisted living. Not far from his base in PBI, we also have family in elderly communities. Our parents are in their sunset years, but still able to enjoy some activities. Not any more. They're now shut in like everyone else. They also have various medical issues that will make them susceptible to not making it through this illness should they get it. And there's already positive tests of others in their communities. So we also have concerns that our last recent trip down there may be the last time we see them. Maybe we'll get lucky. But if this really tears through there, our parents are in the seriously vulnerable category.

Having enough toilet paper and freeze dried apple slices doesn't really help with these issues.

Last edited by Aceoky; 03-22-2020 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: to-two
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPreps View Post
Jokes about this whole situation are fine. I love the dumb stuff posted on social media and the dark humor. I get it. I have a sick sense of humor too. That's just for fun. But on the serious side, I want to smack the crap out of the idiot kids I see doing exactly what they shouldn't. As a kid, I did some really stupid things, but neither I nor my friends were as completely... I'm not sure, 'doof-like' as some of these morons. As to the adult disbelievers... I get it. I've read the alternate math models that show how U.S. may be different. And I hold out hope that we're learning so much so fast that maybe some meds could help mitigate this before it turns into a storm.

However, I have to major problems:

* While I'm a 'basic' suburban prepper that doesn't need to get more stuff for months if necessary, (even if I choose to), I'm also not some homesteading farmer in the middle or nowhere. So we're reasonably well prepped for you medium duration SHTF and not part of the hoarder problem. But for all our preps, while I work in tech for my day job I'm also a firefighter/EMT. So for all the stuff I've done for my family, when this stuff blows up, I'll probably be out there with my squad doing things that I know will be some risk. And not normal risk. It's dangerous every time we roll out, but it's the kind of risks where I'm maybe I'm in an overturned car or there's something burning a for awhile. Fine. None of that is anything I potentially bring home to my family. But this? For this I don't have my tough guy tools to fight. We have some little masks and gowns; which should work just fine. Unless we make one little mistake. Or if just someone a tiny bit of microbial crap gets by. I can't smash that with an axe or tear it apart with a saw. We're lucky in that we have a fairly large house. So we have plans - like many in healthcare are forming - for me to try to live in another part of house if I get sick. Some are already moving kids to relatives for the duration.

* cujet talked about how he has concerns about his MIL in assisted living. Not far from his base in PBI, we also have family in elderly communities. Our parents are in their sunset years, but still able to enjoy some activities. Not any more. They're now shut in like everyone else. They also have various medical issues that will make them susceptible to not making it through this illness should they get it. And there's already positive tests of others in their communities. So we also have concerns that our last recent trip down there may be the last time we see them. Maybe we'll get lucky. But if this really tears through there, our parents are in the seriously vulnerable category.

Having enough toilet paper and freeze dried apple slices doesn't really help with these issues.

We are in the midwest and we have been begging my folks to return from their home in Florida for weeks to no avail. If they get sick there is a chance I will not even see them in their final days, morbid yes but not beyond the realm of possibility. The thought of one or both of my parents potentially dying in some hallway in a central Florida hospital terrifies and enrages me. I hope those last rounds of golf were f***ing worth it guys. Rant over.

I can't help but wonder if this was primarily taking out the young how much the response and attitude of so many would change. If babies were dying left and right and people spouted off the BS "It's just the flu!" They would be met with an intense backlash.

No offense to people under the age of say 30 but I happen to value the 65 and up crowd beyond words. My wife and I are about midway through life and we enjoy the company of those older than us FAR more than modern-day youth. I for one am not ready to close the book on any of my elders, toilet licking millennials on the other hand.................
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BCseacow83 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:26 AM

Since the title of the thread says I can speak my mind I will say this. To all who think this is just the Flu or the Flu is worse than this, I have a message for you. You are either extremely Naive, Willfully ignorant, or worse you are dangerously negligent. You are endangering the lives of all you come into contact with, and that is totally unacceptable. If any death results from your carelessness you should be charged the same as a drunk driver who kills an unsuspecting victim. I had a job one time repairing the Alf 502 jet engines, I worked on the veins in the combustion chamber. Every part I touched I had to sign my name to. That was so if that particular plane crashed and killed someone due to my negligence I could be charged with their murder. This is no different. The Comedian that was on the cruise ship that broke quarantine and flew back to the states, because he had prior speaking engagements, should be charged and sent to prison to never be released. I feel the same for anyone who says this is nothing but the flu, and that include anyone in my own family. Stop being stupid and look at the evidence that is being presented by the people on here that are actually working in the medical field. That is first hand accounts and for you to try and discredit what they say makes you responsible. Rant over.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Oh, you have no idea, and you got it right. Dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, homemade rocket engines and gas turbine engines, jet powered dry lake racer, large explosions, backyard shooting range..... I just have to look professional for work. And yes, I gave myself a black eye last night, by pulling hard on a part in the vise, which suddenly let go, resulting in me punching myself in the eye. Hahahahaha, very redneck.

I wish I were in better shape, but severe fatigue/Hashimoto's/MCTD (autoimmune) has stripped me of a lifetime of athleticism. I'm 100% sure I won't survive the virus if I contract it. The MCTD has weakened all muscles including heart and lungs. But, I'll take the old racing bicycle out this morning and go 5mph instead of 21, but hell, I'm above ground.
Have you looked at taking Creatine? It is supposed to help build muscle. And Biking is a form of exercise so you are actually working the muscle trying to be built, including your heart
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,070 Times in 848 Posts

Gliders, motor gliders, I sure miss flying. Back during my days in the Navy I flew gliders for fun, always wanted to try a motor glider.

I getting real tried of the talking heads. First thing up today and checking mail, what do I read, they
imo are trying to further incite fear and panic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,304 Times in 273 Posts

My vent.... I have family and first responders, front line working in the coronavirus hospitals, family in infectious disease and family in various medical fields. This thing is ten times worst then anything they have seen in their lifetime.

Yet we got people on the beach parties spreading the virus-like wildfire, people who believe that staying home means big parties of tons of people spreading the virus or it is time to run all over the place and come into contact with the SARS CoV 2.

It is noted that those graphs of number are 10 percent to 20 percent higher because of the lack of test, and it will get very big because of the lack of physical distancing. So you got 100 people in your city infected which means you have at least one thousand people infected spreading the virus until they understand in depth this going to kill millions of people.

This is causing governments to force people to stay in their homes, some by military action. All the stupid people who are dangerously causing future deaths. I call it legal intention to kill...being stupid, and uneducated is a zero excuse in the case of the law.

An this forum endless talk about things that do not have anything to do with survival, nor helping each other and making fights, and more so do not follow the thread titles....coronavirus now ... what we can do to help each and learn together. It is like watching bunch monkeys in the zoo starting a fight. We really need to be working together if that is not possible then I give up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:32 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,908 Times in 10,000 Posts

My cousins took all their kids to the beach for a big party before going into lockdown. They're being good now but what did they spread between Dallas, Austin, Houston, and Galveston? My aunt would argue we weren't in a "formal" travel ban but RECKLESS "We are going to take the kids to the beach for spring break".

What is the point of even going into lockdown now?

I haven't talked to my aunt about her activities but she has been a very active retiree going to book club and the fitness center, etc. I am afraid to hear she is still doing everything after spending a week with all the little kids.

Cujet, my husband would love to hear flying stories if you ever get to Houston.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 12:57 PM

well I guess we are going to find out from our politicians if this is just the Flu. My wife's Iphone news feed just said that Rand Paul is infected with Covid-19
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 01:45 PM
Anti-Social

Thanked 1,533 Times in 301 Posts

A few pet peeves: People believing as fact something that their mother's friend's cousin saw on Facebook. 5 seconds of searching will confirm or deny these wild rumors. LOOK IT UP. Healthcare providers who know nothing about epidemiology talking out of their butts. My wife is a nurse and her hospital banned all visitors, then allowed visitors, then screened them with questions about their health, then banned them again. They are also putting 50+ year old doctors and nurses on the front line to treat the sick instead of the 20 year olds. Whatever the death rate actually is, 50+ year olds are DEFINITELY dying more than young people. What genius staffing their nurses didn't understand this? People still playing the "political correctness card" Relative of mine in a major east coast city is a paramedic who responded to a inner-city mission for a man with obvious symptoms (103 fever, short of breath, cough, etc.) and he was told NOT to call for quarantine of the shelter but let them all leave to wander the streets. Might be discrimination. And lastly people who think everyone who is a doctor, nurse, or scientist is part of some huge conspiracy and somehow loves to spread lies just for fun. Sure, some of these people are wrong in their facts, but Bubba Gump sitting in his Naugahyde easy-chair drinking beer and telling people that you can prevent the virus by drinking a bottle of Bosco really doesn't seem like he has better inside information. The best policy is to do a bit of research, read both sides, and make an educated decision on things.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Possum-Pie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 01:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,899 Times in 5,704 Posts

I just heard that Multicare is NOT providing N95 masks to it's nurses and is prohibiting them from wearing any masks not provided. They are given one mask a day. One. and it's a simple surgical mask with no rating.

We are operating like it's the 3rd World.

I wonder how the unfortunate folks in the 3rd world are operating.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 01:59 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 41,620 Times in 9,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
I just heard that Multicare is NOT providing N95 masks to it's nurses and is prohibiting them from wearing any masks not provided. They are given one mask a day. One. and it's a simple surgical mask with no rating.

We are operating like it's the 3rd World.

I wonder how the unfortunate folks in the 3rd world are operating.
An ex-girlfriend is a nurse in Washington. She's scared. I can confirm they are out of or short on masks. She said they are using them repeatedly until the masks fall apart.

I have another friend in Michigan in healthcare, and reports are true they are simply out of masks. A nurse was in a baby delivery without a mask. They have none for non-Covid care workers. The masks are severely rationed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2020, 02:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,070 Times in 848 Posts

When working I had to stand up to a clipboard a couple times. If they want loyalty they need to give loyalty.
Simple answer for this issue: If you get told to remove your mask just tell that clipboard it's now their turn doing patient care.
Sure it might cost you your job but if you are one of those who has always done there job that makes firing you much more difficult. Heck if you get sacked for a bogus reason like that, someone else might decide to walk.
Not a choice to be made lightly but you are in control not the other way round.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post: