Firearms Survival Combo: my POV - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fishing hooks in survival kits... I dont get it. Joseph51494 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 109 12-24-2016 09:22 PM
Total U.S. Firearms: 660 million? Red*Lion Firearms General Discussion 35 10-30-2016 03:23 PM
Smith & Wesson Fire Striker With Survival Kit (SWFS1) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-21-2016 10:14 AM
More Disaster Survival gudies here nag9s Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 10-14-2016 08:46 AM
Remington 770 243win Bolt-Action Rifle and Scope Combo (USED) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 10-06-2016 10:26 AM

Old 11-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,614 Times in 5,558 Posts

Advertise Here

...unfurls the BS flag...
Old 11-21-2016, 09:01 PM
King of Canada

Thanked 9,108 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye Doyle View Post
Question 1: If you are an advocate of avoidance, stealth, and ambush, then why do you need a sidearm? Shouldn't your bolt action suffice from the shadows of concealment?

Question 2: If you are an advocate of bolt action rather than semi, then why are you not strategizing about distances consistent with true bolt action efficacy ... 500+ yards ... rather than 200-300 yard distances where most semis are highly accurate, have a greater round capacity and rate of fire, and are on par with bolt guns with respect to ballistics, etc.?

Question 3: What urban-rural border do you straddle where bears, wolves, and cougars are a constant and legitimate threat?
Question #3; I live in a city of 12,000. The city is surrounded by bush. The bush is in our backyards. We frequently have bears and wolves wander into town, especially in winter.

Just sayin'.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
...unfurls the BS flag...
Well, I was gonna say Troll.....But BS works.

5 posts and a POV ...then argues with every response....
No one has ever changed anyone else's POV on a forum ....ever,....or even listened to them.

I'm out.....I don't feed trolls
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 PM
This is a great survival forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR308 View Post
A
If a shot must be taken, I would rather take a single shot at 200-300 yards, hit the target and deter others through the psychological effect of facing a hidden precision shooter; bolt action forces you to make every shot count

B
Short barreled 20"

C
A 9mm pistol for concealability.

D
Avoiding a firefight does not make you a coward, it makes you a survivor.
A:
That is a short range engagement, any semi-auto would have no problem with that. Heck those "inaccurate" Ak's with iron sights could hit that.

B:
Say what? 20" short barrel? I mean I guess if you cut down your 26" barrel it is short.

C:
Concealable like a 3rd arm.

Non-concealable .45s

D:
See A, why you shooting at people 200-300 yards away?

If you want to use those tools then go for it, but it is kind of like saying " I choose to eat my soup with a fork cause I can pick all the meat out of my soup with a fork."
Old 11-22-2016, 01:10 AM
MAGA

Thanked 15,202 Times in 4,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR308 View Post
Firearm Survival Combo: my point of view (POV)

I am new to these forums but have been an avid firearm owner and shooter for quite some years. I recently have been looking into educating myself about survival because of the state of world peace. Firearms are an important part of it.

Because of my military background, I have come to the conclusion that a bolt action rifle and pistol are the best firearms Survival Combo. Obviously, not everyone will agree with me and that's fine.

Why a bolt action rifle and not a semi-auto ?

A bolt action rifle is inherently more accurate than a semi-auto (see Precision Rifle Series as a data point). Bolt action rifles are less prone to mechanical malfunctions than semi-autos. In a survival environment, I am not looking to engage in direct assaults on sites of interest; I am more interested in avoiding armed conflict so stealth and ambush are key; If a shot must be taken, I would rather take a single shot at 200-300 yards, hit the target and deter others through the psychological effect of facing a hidden precision shooter; bolt action forces you to make every shot count and not rely on "spray and pray".

Which bolt action rifle caliber and set up?

308 Winchester: availability, power, versatility and inherently accurate round. Short barreled 20" in a light stock with a low powered magnification scope like 1-6 or 1-8 for fast target acquisition and wide range of view.

9mm pistol

A 9mm pistol for close quarter engagements, concealability and versatility. The 9mm is very common, and its availability in many configurations make it a very capable round.

Avoiding a firefight does not make you a coward, it makes you a survivor.

DMR308

BS. My POV.

Trigger discipline will keep you from "spray and pray."
If you want to avoid a firefight why shoot at someone 2-300yds away?
They make semiauto 308's. No way my only firearm would be a bolt if I have a semiauto option. If you have to take a shot they'll be on you like white on rice. You'll want the quick followups. Esp. if you are lonewolfing.
Why carry a pistol? You should be avoiding right? But I agree on choice of 9mm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harbinger1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 2,173 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL View Post
What kills me is this attitude that you will dictate the terms of every gun fight you will ever be in.
You don't?

I do, in triplicate, with a proper TPS coversheet, and notarized signatures.

Have you seen my stapler?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 03:33 PM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,662 Posts

A good scout rifle and a sidearm is a pretty good combo. Oh, and no military looking clothes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,197 Times in 2,836 Posts

Just a few things I saw reading through the thread....

-Needing to engage a human target beyond 100yards without wearing a uniform is going to be RARE. I have to chuckle ( slash worry ) when I contantly read about people saying they are going to be engaging people at 200-300 yards. Go measure that off on your property. Few people even own that much land, let alone need to be shooting across it. If that is your fantasy whatever. Any common centerfire rifle round can do that, you really don't need anything special. Now...for big game, you are going to want something a little different. While even a 22lr will take down an elephant or whatever, I think people are going to want to make clean efficient kills IF they happen to come across game.

-Don't need a pistol because you have a rifle. I know a few people where saying this in jest. When things go sideways, a pistol WILL be your constant companion. Like a little safety blanket. That will generally be the go-to 'surprise' weapon because that is what you can wear and still work. Go try to tend the garden or chop firewood while totting around a 10lb rifle. You might keep it close.....but close is only good in.....

-Bolt vs Semi. A bolt is a simple lighter more affordable less scary looking rifle that does basically the exact same thing as the Semi. The Semi can deliver those bullets slightly faster if needed. If you are saying range is going to be your best friend, a semi starts to matter less. Humping around a rifle all day is no fun, be it for hunting or whatever situation you have in your head. Weight matters. I think a lot of people grossly overestimate the amount of gear they can carry with the distance they can cover on the calories in their bag or found along the way.

My personal opinion and all that.

There are no really bad options if you are talking about having a center fire rifle, only choices that might be a little bit better in one situation or another. There is not a perfect answer for every one of those situations. Get a rifle, but some ammo away for it, train with it, and keep it as close as practical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Well, I fully understand the responses here. However, given my area I can see the appeal. I compromised and went with an M1A, lost on weight. I believe I kept durability. Yes, I know everyone has an opinion on that last part. I will be adding ARs back into the arsenal. Every tool has its place.

As far as the whole snipers being able to to lock down an area thing, that is true. However, are you going to be sniping people from 800 yards? Why? They wont see you. And most people at least at the start of TSHTF will just be trying to get back home. I personally dont have any intention of shooting a father caught away from home on a business trip when it falls apart. If he threatens me? Sure. Don't know how the majority of people trying to get home in such conditions would be a threat from that far. Pointless fact.

If TSHTF we need a rise in compassion, its not a time to throw morals out the window. Which of course, is conditional upon a threat coming for you that you didn't seek. Sometimes you can only do what you can do. But sniping people from far surely is unnecessary 99% of the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justoutlast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 08:26 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 13,849 Times in 3,506 Posts

Anyone remember Sean Bean's character in "Ronin" ??? I reread the op and that's who I think we're dealing with.

My POV ... YMMV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Popeye Doyle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Trapper

Everybody has a fantasy. Like many on here, Military background means a video game in the basement. But his choices are ok, not mine. I see some holes but it is not my story. I will not add fuel to the fire.