2nd gun recommendations - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poland on road to gun law liberalization Uweron Firearms General Discussion 62 10-18-2017 07:40 PM
The perfect "back door" gun control--high taxes on guns and ammo zooeyhll Firearms General Discussion 46 11-07-2016 02:37 AM
Clinton wants total gun bans leadcounsel Political News and Discussion 84 11-04-2016 09:01 AM
best submachine gun and why? justin22885 Military Weapons Forum 61 10-27-2016 11:55 PM
ATF & DEA Recorded License Plates Outside Gun Shows xmascolors General Discussion 113 10-11-2016 02:28 PM

Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 PM

Default 2nd gun recommendations

Advertise Here

I got a 9mm pistol (and a 22lr rimfire one) and I am looking for a next gun.

It should serve the purpose of home/personal defense for today and future possible situations. Our unassuming house is in dense suburbia.

Since I will not be buying a 2nd (3rd) gun too often I am looking for some nice one but nothing too exotic.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2016, 10:02 PM
I'm not a prepper

Thanked 3,227 Times in 899 Posts

Get a sporting rifle while you can. Shotgun is good to have too.
The Following User Says Thank You to BFH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Hunter

If home defense is the main purpose for this weapon then I would suggest a shotgun,410,20,12 you pic.
The Following User Says Thank You to ranger56528 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 11:29 PM
accipere rubrum pilula

Thanked 4,328 Times in 1,271 Posts

Get a shotgun, either a 20 or a 12. I personally prefer the 20, because follow up shots are quicker, and modern day ammo for the 20 makes it a viable choice.

Just my .02, and of course your personal mileage may vary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to papabob56 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 11:46 PM
Tedious Gasbag

Thanked 1,423 Times in 539 Posts

Suburbs? Get a shotgun. I prefer 12 Ga. because of the commonality of ammo laying about, but one can make an argument for others. But not many will want to argue with a guy/gal armed with a shotgun in a short-range neighborhood scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to stratbastard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,633 Times in 647 Posts

2nd the post above.

6 yrs ago I had given away all my guns to the kids. Then started getting nervous from looking at the state of the world. Started down the path. That included firearms.

Like you I started off with handguns - .45 for me .22 for my wife. I worked on effective range working from close in to medium distance. Hand guns for close up & personal.

My next purchase was a .12 ga pump. Then a couple .22 long guns. That covered 0 to 100 m well enough.

Then I skipped up to a 5.56 that's good to 500 m. Added a .308 medium range bush gun. Then a couple more 5.56's for intermediate ranges.

All over several years.

Take your time do your research and know your limitations as well as your weapons. Mine can out shoot me - but I also know what I can make them do for me. Like any tool - it has to fit its niche and you have to know how to use it properly.

Only you can determine your requirements and define your limitations.

Happy hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to longhorngnu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2016, 11:59 PM

I would second the earlier posts on looking at a good used shotgun. For home defense, a shotty is almost without equal. Especially where overpenetration of walls could be a factor.

Then again, a few hundred rounds downrange, and maybe a tac self defense class, and the 9mm handgun may become the preferred HD tool. That is what me and the missus have decided, and we now just rely on our EDC pistols for the home defense role. It is what we go to the range, take classes with, why should it not be our "go to" defense platform?

As always, YMMV. But training beats gear, every time. Maybe a class or two in "real" self defense / home defense may be more valuable than another boom stick.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:27 AM
Awesome

Thanked 25,841 Times in 8,453 Posts

he already has a 9mm pistol for home defense, he doesnt need a shotgun which isnt useful for much else (if hes not a hunter), get yourself an AK or AR in your caliber of choice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 02:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,041 Posts
Exclamation

An AR will be easier for many folks to use specially smaller folks! Some attention should be paid being in the city, but it's not unworkable.

A shotgun is another choice (It's the one I made early on!) and may be better in some circumstance.

SD
Old 11-08-2016, 04:46 AM

12 gauge shot gun, I have a Remington 870 tactical very common very dependable very good home defense
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nodak1804 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 05:23 AM

Get an AR15. It's better at just about everything besides bird hunting than a shotgun is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rollo Tomassi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 05:41 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,561 Times in 5,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsurvivalist View Post

It should serve the purpose of home/personal defense for today and future possible situations. Our unassuming house is in dense suburbia.

Since I will not be buying a 2nd (3rd) gun too often I am looking for some nice one but nothing too exotic.

Thanks!
I would take into consideration who besides you will be using it, if you have a wife she will more than likely not be able to handle the recoil of a shotgun if she has to use it...

Since "modern sporting" rifles have the potential to be on the chopping block I'd look into possibly getting an A/R/AK with rounds specifically designed for home defense...the good thing is A/R's are dirt cheap right now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 05:54 AM

As a woman, I like our 20 gauge shotgun best for home defense. If my husband is on a business trip, the shotgun is what I keep by the bed. Aim doesn't have to be too precise, the sound of the pump is intimidating to the intruder, and as a 20 instead of 12, the recoil isn't too bad. Reloading is not difficult.
All that to say, if you want your wife to feel comfortable with it, I'd suggest going with a 20 gauge shotgun. I'm definitely no expert on guns, but that's my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to happypreppermom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 06:27 AM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,833 Times in 2,248 Posts

When I purchased my first motorcycle, I made the mistake of buying a bike that was a cruiser. I sold that bike after 4 months and bought a bike that could tackle interstate highways at 75mph, to twistys through the canyons to dirt roads in the mountains.

I would apply the same logic for the first long gun.

Get a gun that can fit a lot of situations.

Home Defense
Urban Movement
Very available ammo
Hunting weapon
Easy to Transport
etc....

If I could only have one gun..... I think I would get a semi-auto and I would lean toward a 7.62x39. It hits harder at close range and is a better hunting weapon than the .223....and is far better than the pistol caliber carbines. It also has low recoil.

A Ruger Mini30 with extra mags would be darn good. It is short barreled, but still accurate. 7.62x30 ammo can still be purchased for around $230 for 1,000 rounds and even Walmart sells it.

But, a semi-auto shotgun with a diverse stash of ammo would be good too. But if you go this route, buy a shotgun that can shoot big, heavy slugs for deer hunting.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,336 Times in 2,041 Posts

Kinda wide open question.I've had or have some of the above choices.
For 30 years I've had a snub(2.5 inch)security six,.38/ .357 about 4 inches from my head every night.Something goes bump in the night,thats the first thing I would grab.

12 ga. pump is a good choice for its versitality.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,041 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
When I purchased my first motorcycle, I made the mistake of buying a bike that was a cruiser. I sold that bike after 4 months and bought a bike that could tackle interstate highways at 75mph, to twistys through the canyons to dirt roads in the mountains.

I would apply the same logic for the first long gun.

Get a gun that can fit a lot of situations.

Home Defense
Urban Movement
Very available ammo
Hunting weapon
Easy to Transport
etc....

If I could only have one gun..... I think I would get a semi-auto and I would lean toward a 7.62x39. It hits harder at close range and is a better hunting weapon than the .223....and is far better than the pistol caliber carbines. It also has low recoil.

A Ruger Mini30 with extra mags would be darn good. It is short barreled, but still accurate. 7.62x30 ammo can still be purchased for around $230 for 1,000 rounds and even Walmart sells it.

But, a semi-auto shotgun with a diverse stash of ammo would be good too. But if you go this route, buy a shotgun that can shoot big, heavy slugs for deer hunting.

I agree with most of this logic, but suggesting a weapon that is much more limited in magazines/accessories kind of deflates your point!

Rather go with an AR in 300 BlackOut if you want a 30 caliber weapon!

Ammo isn't as common as .223, but it's doable and you have a likely much more accurate weapon with an endless variety of magazines, accessories, parts ect to work with in a round that has similar enough performance to the 7.62x39 to be unnoticed on the receiving end!

SD
The Following User Says Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 07:36 AM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,662 Posts

I concur with the 12 gauge shotgun suggestions and highly recommend this particular one. It's a high end in the market of 12 ga pump action shotguns. But I believe that it's worth every single penny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9Nijd_Vu8
Old 11-08-2016, 07:48 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 21,869 Times in 7,201 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,372 Times in 2,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
I concur with the 12 gauge shotgun suggestions and highly recommend this particular one. It's a high end in the market of 12 ga pump action shotguns. But I believe that it's worth every single penny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cq9Nijd_Vu8
Did Benelli fix the jamming issues and light primer strikes with the Supernova tactical? Just a few years ago it was still a common problem and around here they still stay clear of the SuperNova.

When you would shoot and if you pulled back on the fore grip just a little bit (it had lots of play) you had to push the fore grip forward first to get it to cycle. It was the craziest thing I ever saw.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:24 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,648 Times in 3,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsurvivalist View Post

Thanks!
[strike]if your 9 mm is a Glock[/strike] missed your earlier thread

1. sell cz pistol
2. buy glock 17 / 19
3. buy 9 mm ar15 that accepts glock magazines ( lonewolf )

done