00 buckshot, or 000 buckshot for hd? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hornady 86243 Varmint Express Buckshot 12ga 2-3/4" #4 Buckshot 10rd Box Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-27-2015 09:43 AM
Premium Buckshot vs. "Wal-Mart" Buckshot Unobtanium Firearms General Discussion 34 11-23-2013 10:22 PM
My #4 Buckshot arrived! Eagle Scout Dan Shotgun Forum 16 11-18-2013 09:35 AM
#4 birdshot #4 buckshot Mythfit Shotgun Forum 13 07-31-2013 02:12 PM
Buckshot...why stock up? IdahoMtnBoy Firearms General Discussion 67 03-25-2012 01:57 PM
Buckshot HAILEGAR Shotgun Forum 21 01-10-2012 06:48 PM
12 ga buckshot brookman007 Shotgun Forum 44 11-15-2011 07:44 PM
Buckshot? talon Shotgun Forum 10 05-23-2011 08:48 PM
12 ga. Surplus buckshot dayliterun Shotgun Forum 23 04-17-2011 11:03 PM
buckshot kev Firearms General Discussion 5 04-12-2007 10:33 AM

Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,867 Times in 894 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Slugs will make it up to 27in.
Good post.
Federal Tactical 12-gauge Rifled Hydra-ShokŪ Slugs penetrate 15 inches. Expands to about 2 inches and leaves a six inch diameter wound cavity. Redefining the meaning of heartless bad guy.
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 39,053 Times in 9,335 Posts

Great addition, LongRider. 15 inches means it's a great option for self defense and it has the accuracy of a slug. So if you do have that situation where you want to be able to fire at a target without a huge spread that will hit something generally between you and the target, a hollowpoint slug is perfect.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Wanderer

Thanked 2,764 Times in 1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwnd View Post
I like to use my Remington 870 for home defense, who doesn't right? I have several questions with this. Should I use 00 buckshot, or 000 buckshot? I know 000 has more pellets but are smaller right? and the 00 has less pellets but bigger I am pretty sure. I don't need to worry about hitting anyone with either, because my family and I have a plan all worked out in a hd situation.

Also, should I use a turkey choke with buckshot for a much tighter patter, or will buckshot destroy the choke?

All replies are greatly appreciated, thank you.
Either are fine, but I prefer #4 Buckshot.
I would not use a turkey choke for buckshot, especially 00 or 000. It may seize the threads in the choke tube and require a smith to remove it, or even possibly damage or bulge the barrel. As a rule of thumb a cylinder bore choke spreads shot about 1" for each yard of distance. How big is your largest room or hallway? 15 ft? 20 ft.? Even 30 ft, 10 yards, only gives a pattern of about 10". I wouldn't worry about getting a small pattern, I'd worry about hitting the target center mass.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

I chose 00 Buck. It's a matter of balancing the number of pellets with the desired penetration. Here's the research I did:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=176

http://www.remington.com/products/am...x?panel=1#data

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

http://stealthsurvival.blogspot.com/...e-defense.html
Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

Winchester Military Grade Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290...shot-9-pellets

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...prodID=WNQ1544

http://www.cabelas.com/shotgun-ammun...ckshot-2.shtml
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,412 Times in 8,133 Posts

00 One shot will do the job so number of shot help your mission.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,535 Times in 626 Posts

At home defense distances (5-7 yards) 00 buck is 00 buck.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Living To Ride

Thanked 1,867 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpDog View Post
Here's the research I did:
Be sure your research includes testing the ammo you intend on using, out of the gun you plan to use it in, at distances that you will be using it at. It is possible, someone with the same model gun, with the exact same ammo can get very different results than what you get from your gun.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:15 PM
hunter, survivor, patriot

I recently switched out all my 00 for 000 in 2.75". Bigger shot size (36cal.)and only lose 1 pellet count. In 3", I keep #4 buck in a couple of SGs.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,150 Times in 7,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Whichever one is cheaper!
00 Buck beats 000 Buck for price every time every day every store or web site
Old 09-19-2016, 11:19 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwnd View Post
I like to use my Remington 870 for home defense, who doesn't right? I have several questions with this. Should I use 00 buckshot, or 000 buckshot? I know 000 has more pellets but are smaller right? and the 00 has less pellets but bigger I am pretty sure. I don't need to worry about hitting anyone with either, because my family and I have a plan all worked out in a hd situation.

Also, should I use a turkey choke with buckshot for a much tighter patter, or will buckshot destroy the choke?

All replies are greatly appreciated, thank you.
I haven't read many of the other replies because I'm late for an appointment, so hope I don't repeat their info too much.

I prefer small #4 Buck for inside my home hopefully to avoid penetrating exterior walls and injuring neighbors. For outdoors I like deeper penetrating OOOB and OOB. Magnum slugs kick the hardest and penetrate the deepest which is why I never use magnum slugs (or mag buck). For home defense magnums are not necessary.

For whatever it's worth, I've personally seen an armed robber shot with a 12ga using standard 2 3/4" OOB from about 10 yards. None of the OOB pellets exited the body. The center torso shot did not "knock down" the bad guy, but did "push" him a step or two backwards where he tripped over a liquor display and fell never to get up again.

OOO Buck has the largest size shot, OOB is next largest, #4 is the smallest available in 12ga.

Every shotgun patterns differently but generally speaking the larger the size shot the smaller the pattern spread. Modified and full choke will usually pattern 00 Buck tighter than cylinder bore. Never use an extra full Turkey choke for Slugs, they will eventually damage your choke.

As indicated, I prefer 2 3/4" standard velocity #4B for home defense in the suburbs. Back when I lived on acreage in the mountains with no nearby neighbors I preferred 000B & 00B & slugs.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:44 AM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Excellent idea! Does your state have Castle Doctrine? Doesn't matter, cause if you shoot said runners, you'll be charged with murder if you get them and attempted murder if you only wound them! Once they are fleeing, they are no longer a threat and self defense no longer comes into play...

You can--"Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six"--right! Remember that if you do or don't get off from the criminal charges there's still civil court! They'll get you nearly every time with "Denying them their civil rights", but why take the chance or incur the $100,000 legal fee that goes with more then likely, two trials...

You want to shoot them twenty times, while they're standing in your house, go ahead as you shoot until the threat is stopped but if you then go over to where they are laying on the ground and put one in their head, (you know like they do in SEAL and Delta and Ranger) sorry, but that's murder and with the forensics available today, they can and will prove it...If you shoot them as they're raising a gun at you while on the floor is not the same thing, that is still self defense...
Good advice!

Neut: Former high crime area Police Detective Sergeant
Old 09-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,528 Times in 11,535 Posts

Just a Heads up. what you should get for inside the home defense, is a pistol and a suppressor. If you Like your hearing. If you have never shot a shotgun inside a tight space, such as a hallway in a home, or a room with the windows shut, you need to find a hell house to use and try it. first, as soon as you pull the trigger, if your lucky, it doesn't blow both eardrums out ( I was lucky only blew one, one closest to the wall on ejection side).second, after the first shot, all you can see is debris, and smoke, as well as sheetrock powder if you hit the wall, add to that, your eyes cannot focus for the second round.
took about a hour for the ringing to tone down so I could hear out tha other side, the blown one, never did come back. the ringing, is permanent now,.

is it worth it to defend your family? yes. but don't be under the illusion that your going to go thru a full box of shells, unscathed.

its going to hurt unless you got plugs and muffs in. after that is why I opted to go with a 45, Glaisers, and ive finally added a suppressor. (in the process of)
Old 09-20-2016, 10:58 PM
POLICE DETECTIVE (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin X View Post
Just a Heads up. what you should get for inside the home defense, is a pistol and a suppressor. If you Like your hearing. If you have never shot a shotgun inside a tight space, such as a hallway in a home, or a room with the windows shut, you need to find a hell house to use and try it. first, as soon as you pull the trigger, if your lucky, it doesn't blow both eardrums out ( I was lucky only blew one, one closest to the wall on ejection side).second, after the first shot, all you can see is debris, and smoke, as well as sheetrock powder if you hit the wall, add to that, your eyes cannot focus for the second round.
took about a hour for the ringing to tone down so I could hear out tha other side, the blown one, never did come back. the ringing, is permanent now,.

is it worth it to defend your family? yes. but don't be under the illusion that your going to go thru a full box of shells, unscathed.

its going to hurt unless you got plugs and muffs in. after that is why I opted to go with a 45, Glaisers, and ive finally added a suppressor. (in the process of)
I lost some hearing permanently by shooting 45's all day long 5-6 days a week for almost a year side by side with 20 other soldiers on an Army AMU Team with none of us wearing hearing protection. So I know for a fact that excessive unprotected exposure to gunshot noise can and will injure your hearing over time. However, shooting a few shots one or two times indoors in self-defense is unlikely to harm the vast majority ("X" obviously being a rare exception). Only those few with exceptionally fragile inner ears need to worry about a limited number of unprotected self-defense gunshot noises indoors or out. None of the officers on my old department that fired indoors at bad guys lost any hearing or experienced any of X's temporary symptoms, and that includes shots fired with 357 mags and 12ga shotguns. So if your home is invaded by violent felons do what you have to do and don't worry about your hearing because there isn't one chance in a thousand that it will be harmed. (This indoor info came from my hearing doctor.)
Old 09-21-2016, 04:56 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 40,779 Times in 9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedLMF View Post
I prefer a 1 Buck-2 Buck for HD they have more projectiles, first shot is birdshot ( at point blank it's lethal and won't go through the walls of my shi**y home), if they survive that its a dose of buck for them, and 000 buck doesn't have more pellets, has fewer and larger.
Or they shoot back with flesh woulds called birdshot. YMMV.

I prefer to end the threat on the first shot, thereby eliminating the need for a second one if possible.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 PM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,662 Posts

I prefer a low recoil OO buckshot such as Remington managed recoil buck. It has plenty of punch up to 20 yards or so. But the mild recoil, for a 12ga, allows for very quick follow up shots. And should I have to use it in a confined space, I will most likely not have a concussion from the blast and hopefully will retain my hearing capacity.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:01 PM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,857 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Or they shoot back with flesh woulds called birdshot. YMMV.

I prefer to end the threat on the first shot, thereby eliminating the need for a second one if possible.
What if you miss?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:42 PM

Don't worry so much about over-penetration. Check out the chart to see how many drywall sheets each buckshot size really penetrates. Focus more on what is behind your target. If there is anything of value behind the target then you may have to wait for a better angle. I love 3" shells of #1 buck for home defense but my Mossberg 930 Semi-auto really loves 3" 000 buckshot. But the gun will shoot anything that I feed it
Old 11-01-2016, 01:29 AM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 39,053 Times in 9,335 Posts

Standard walls don't really exist for bullets regardless of size. Either the threat justifies the extremely small chance of accidentally hitting someone in other rooms/homes, or it doesn't. The 0.0001% chance that I hit someone next door is worth it to me if there's a 100% chance the dude in front of me is going to kill me if I don't shoot him first.

https://youtu.be/1pSVn7ozXTQ