Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA Revolver Inspection - The Right Way Outpost75 Pistol and Revolver Forum 0 01-27-2018 04:57 PM
Schmidt & Bender Sale Update gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 12-11-2017 10:49 AM
Schmidt & Bender Holiday Update gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 12-07-2017 10:05 AM
semi auto ccw is a PITA Woodswalker Pistol and Revolver Forum 48 09-07-2017 09:27 AM
Revolver vs Semi Auto gondwana Pistol and Revolver Forum 244 06-29-2017 03:25 PM

View Poll Results: CCW: Semi auto? Or Revolver?
Give me the semi-automatic. 86 69.35%
I'll take the wheelgun. 38 30.65%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2020, 01:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 70,791 Times in 22,029 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
We are taught marksmanship in the army

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
True.

Perhaps one day y'all will learn it!

PS: the Corps preferred "Experts"
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 02:18 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,084 Times in 4,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
True.

Perhaps one day y'all will learn it!

PS: the Corps preferred "Experts"
I used marksmanship as a term to describe the ability to shoot accurately.

I wasn't referring to the level of expertise I was awarded.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:19 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
I don't know about other branches of service but in the Army it seemed that the good marksmen were good when they arrived. The only training required was weapons familiarization and if they were chosen for special duty, given instruction dealing with long range ballistics, windage and etc. Those that weren't good were at least taught enough to hit a torso. Some of the best marksmen I know do not practice, they just show up for the turkey shoots and take home a bird.

I like revolvers but a little flat lightweight single stack .380 can come closest to not being a burden to carry. It would be nice if one could purchase or borrow a weighted replica to practice carry before making a purchase. I want the one that I will carry rather than the one that will be left at home, as is most often the case with my .357 and 5 shot .38 spl.
Maybe, maybe not. I didn't have shooting experience prior to BCT, and I was a pretty good shot. Also not sure where you did BCT, but we had far more than "familiarization" with the M16. We had qualifications and extensive enough training to be proficient with basic battle drills. Once you get to your unit you might not have much exposure if you're a pog, but that's certainly not the case for every mos or unit.

Anecdotal experiences are of limited value.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,311 Times in 1,305 Posts

about that S&W BodyGuard 380ACP 6rd 2.75" Pistol: there is nothing to grip. if you have hands like hams, you would not be able to use it.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,831 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Anecdotal experiences are of limited value.
Then why these forums?
Old 03-05-2020, 03:54 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Then why these forums?
These forums aren't about anecdotal experiences, or limited to them. Forums are for sharing knowledge and for being social within the community.

Anecdotes can be shared, but they mean little beyond the personal experience and story.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
These forums aren't about anecdotal experiences, or limited to them. Forums are for sharing knowledge and for being social within the community.

Anecdotes can be shared, but they mean little beyond the personal experience and story.

OK, I thought you were implying that my post was anecdotal.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:26 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
OK, I thought you were implying that my post was anecdotal.
Well, I was, the part about marksmanship.

It holds true to you, from your perspective, but that isn't indicative of the whole army. That's exactly what I meant when I brought up anecdotes.

My experience was different, and that isn't indicative of the army either. Just two anecdotes don't speak about the population or even a solid sample size.

Let me try and say it differently: to infer that because in your experience, the soldiers you met were better marksmen coming in, and the ones who learned on duty were unimpressive, thus the armys training methods are inefficient or ineffective, would be a mistake.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Well, I was, the part about marksmanship.

It holds true to you, from your perspective, but that isn't indicative of the whole army. That's exactly what I meant when I brought up anecdotes.

My experience was different, and that isn't indicative of the army either. Just two anecdotes don't speak about the population or even a solid sample size.

Let me try and say it differently: to infer that because in your experience, the soldiers you met were better marksmen coming in, and the ones who learned on duty were unimpressive, thus the armys training methods are inefficient or ineffective, would be a mistake.

You're correct, my apologies. I did not mean to denigrate the Army's training. My intended point was that some people are good and some are not. Training can help both groups but only by margins. Though I have no data I suspect very few move from bolo to expert shooters. Also by familiarization I didn't mean to imply that was the level of training but that it was all that was required for some to achieve good shooting scores. Combat training is a whole 'nother subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 05:25 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,642 Times in 2,179 Posts

I have two revolvers and LOVE them!!! 38 Spec and a 44 Mag

But if I had to choose only one pistol, it would be Beretta 92 with a couple of 17 round mags.

I feel much better having 34 fire pills, rather than 5.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:48 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

Came across this article, thought some in this thread might find it interesting.

https://gatdaily.com/revolvers-vs-semi-autos-for-ccw/

Old 05-19-2020, 04:16 PM
Survivor

Since @Jlrhiner showed such interest in how I would carry the P3at I'll offer an update. When wearing jeans I find that the watch pocket makes a neat little holster, easy access, open carry but easily concealed and a quarter sized magnet makes it even more secure against riding up out of the pocket. Front pocket is easy and only slightly less accessible, jacket pocket is good and rear pocket is OK unless sitting. I have found that it doesn't really matter as due to its small size it can be transferred pocket-to- pocket without attracting attention. When wearing cargo pants the cargo pocket or the cell phone pocket works. IWB too uncomfortable to consider. Any type of holster lessens options.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 PM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 4,273 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Since @Jlrhiner showed such interest in how I would carry the P3at I'll offer an update. When wearing jeans I find that the watch pocket makes a neat little holster, easy access, open carry but easily concealed and a quarter sized magnet makes it even more secure against riding up out of the pocket. Front pocket is easy and only slightly less accessible, jacket pocket is good and rear pocket is OK unless sitting. I have found that it doesn't really matter as due to its small size it can be transferred pocket-to- pocket without attracting attention. When wearing cargo pants the cargo pocket or the cell phone pocket works. IWB too uncomfortable to consider. Any type of holster lessens options.
I've used the coin/watch pocket to put the clip of my techna-clip into while I put the pistol in my main pocket. I just mount the clip on the left side so it goes in to the coin pocket & the pistol in the main pocket. I've done it with both G27's & G23's.
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:38 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,252 Times in 5,480 Posts

I voted 'semi,' but the correct answer is 'yes.'

Carry what you want, just carry.

And in reality, I carry a J-frame more than a semi during the summer months. Easy to throw a little revo in the front pocket, even wearing shorts and flip flops. Plus I like them a lot...
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,252 Times in 5,480 Posts

Quote:
I carry my P32 (almost the same size) the same way. THe change pocket is a perfect fit. I also use a small Nemesis and carry it in my side pocket in scrubs. The gun is so small it disappears. My wallet is bigger, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 08:30 PM
Curmudgeon

Thanked 3,891 Times in 1,109 Posts

Your watch pockets must be bigger than mine . Still carrying an OWB at 5 o'clock. 31 years this summer.

The last year has been a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact.
7 years before that, a Kimber Tactical Ultra CDP.
Before that, either a Colt GoldCup or a Colt Enhanced Combat Commander.

As you can see, I'm slowly downsizing...........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jlrhiner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,443 Posts

Revolvers, even snubs, are heavy. Some lighter pocket-pistols, like Ruger LCP, or PPK/Bersa Thunder or a 25ACP pistol, for summer wear, is preferable. While I do like wheel-guns, they are much more bulky, plus moon-clips are also bulky.

For cooler weather, a mid-sized single-stack pistol in 9mm works well.

Just practice with what you will carry and maintain it properly.

In MOST situations where you may need to protect yourself, or others, you are more likely to be dealing with just one, or two, perps. Where a pocket pistol should have enough, relatively speaking, rounds (6 or so) plus whatever additional magazines you want, or can, carry.

If you get into a firefight, your pistol is just used to get to more appropriate protection (i.e. run like hell to your car or gun safe for shotgun/rifle, if you can). Or act as a deterant letting the perps know that you mean business.

For any kind of semi-auto, or snub wheel guns, I do prefer spur-less/hidden hammers so that it doesn't grab onto things.

ALWAYS use a Holster, make sure it covers the trigger entirely. You don't want an accidental discharge if you have a round chambered in pocket-pistol floating around, not holstered, where keys and such can get into the trigger area. Its just best practice, even if you think you didn't chamber a round.

I have seen experience people forget upon inspection at ranges.
The Following User Says Thank You to JLW1974 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:15 PM
Generator Wrangler

Thanked 6,376 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Top considerations:

Reliability. Effective tie. Modern semi-autos are just as reliable as revolvers. I've had both fail, about same regularity. Clearing failures is probably hard to gauge depending on the type of failure. The worst catastrophic failures can disable both. Garden variety failures are unlikely with premium SD ammo, so of minimal concern, to none.

Accuracy. Tie.

Capacity. Easily semi-autos. Same size gun, can get around twice as much capacity in practically equivalent chamberings. (.38, .357, 9mm, .40). This really is exaggerated after 2-4 reloads. Three full loads of a revolver is ~18 rounds. That's 1 magazine in a 9mm. Or 3 full loads in a .40 is around ~45 rounds. 45 is a lot bigger than 18.

Speed. Semi-auto for me (I'm not Miculek). Hammer guns are nearly the same, but the semi-offers a recoil spring. Striker seems faster.

Speed of reload. Semi-auto. (Perhaps you can achieve a tie with significant practice with a revolver but you're still behind the curve on capacity, so it takes basically 2 revolver reloads to match a semi-auto reload - to to be fair your revolver reloads need to be twice as fast as a semi-auto and that's a feat)

Ergos. Semi is flatter and ergos are just better for me. In the same sized gun, the semi fits my hand better, and carries concealed better. Revolvers are thick at the cylinder, and the "banana" shaped handle isn't as good for me.

Weight. Polymer semi-auto wins. About a 1/3rd lighter.

Recoil. The design of the semi with the recoil spring allows for the physics to reduce the recoil. Semi is less punishing recoil wise based on the recoil spring. Revolvers rely on weight and upward recoil.

Ease of cleaning. Semi-auto. Take down takes max 15 seconds. Full field strip and clean maybe 3-5 minutes for a very good cleaning. Carbon is contained to the chamber and barrel mostly. Compared to a revolver, where carbon gets on many surfaces out the front and back of the casing, and in the forcing cone, etc., and you have all 5-7 cylinders and the barrel. If you don't get the carbon off the front of the cylinder it will never come off. Quick clean or deep clean, the semi-wins.

Top-end power. Tie, perhaps an edge to .357 revolver, but it can be effectively and practically matched by +P semi-auto ammo or .357 sig loads. It's an effective tie, maybe a marginal edge to the revolver.

About the only place I'd carry a revolver is a full power revolver in back country. Then, maybe.

I still love the beauty of the wheelgun and have many. Used to carry a Ruger SP101. But the 5 rounds is just not enough. In a similar 1" single stack 9mm Walther, I can get 8 rnds of 9mm. And faster reloads. Just as reliable and accurate.
Accuracy is a tie if you are talking about grouping achieved from a bench rest and not real world shooting.