Survivalist Forum banner

Marlin 60 review W/ Pics

56K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  idahosurvivor86 
#1 ·
Let me preface this thread by saying I don't know much about .22 rifles, and I'm not a very good shot. When I decided to buy my first new .22 for target practice and small game hunting, I did all the research I could. For about $280 total, I purchased this Marlin 60, Bushnell 3x9 .22 scope, and a nice set of Burris rings.

It's a semi auto, stainless steel tube fed rifle. The tube magazine holds 15 shots. The barrel seems almost like a bull configuration, as it's very beefy. It has a bolt hold open feature that lets you know when the guns run dry. The cross bolt safety is located behind the trigger. The rifle comes from the factory with a dove tail cut out atop the receiver for mounting the scope.

After tightening everything down, I zeroed the rifle at 50 yards with this ammo.

Here's a pic of my high dollar, laser range finder and the target I will be shooting at. The green square on the piece of copy paper is exactly 4 square inches. I drew an approximately 1/2 inch black dot in the center of the green square to give me a point of aim.

After dialing it in, I printed my first 15 shot group at 50 yards. I chose 50 yards because it suits the trajectory of the .22, and it's the typical small game hunting distance for Florida.

I made some adjustments to the scope setting, and fired another 15 rounds.

Looks good to me! Definitely squirrel killing material. So just for fun, I back up to 100 yards and fire another 15 shots. Using the high velocity ammunition, I end up with roughly a 5 - 6 inch drop from point of aim. All this shooting reminded me why I was never a sniper in the Army. It's very frustrating watching my cross hairs bobbling all over the target despite my best efforts.

Marlin 60 likes- Seems pretty accurate for a stock gun, but I don't have a good basis for comparison since it's my first scoped .22. I loved the price. I got the gun, scope and rings for the price of a Ruger 10-22 without a scope or rings. I haven't had a single jam in over 500 rounds, and I haven’t cleaned it yet. Being in Florida, I love the stainless steel option. The Monty Carlo stock is very comfortable for scoped shooting.

Marlin 60 dislikes- I hate the cheesy plastic front site. No sling attachment points. The Monty Carlo stock is a bit uncomfortable to shoot without a scope. As I have said, this is my first scoped .22. I can't stand the dove tail scope mount most of these .22 rifles use. They seem flimsy to me, but what do I know. I just wish there was a more robust scope mount option.

See less See more
#38 ·
Well I'll tell you what. First, your rifle looks good. I like the wood and metal coloring. Second, if you able to zero it in like you did, you've done a great job. Remember what you're using this rifle for, and it's not Army Sniper duty. I'm going to buy one next week, a Marlin 60 that is. Do they sell them at Walmart? Where did you get yours?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.