Cooking, baking..short term long term, whats your plans in a shtf situation? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best livestock for long term SHTF situation kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 74 01-09-2019 12:59 PM
cooking oil long term storage codecypher Food and water 39 05-08-2016 10:48 PM
Long Term Yeast / Baking Storage Question floralsurprises Food and water 27 11-16-2014 02:38 PM
Long term cooking options? WildPigeonChase Food and water 54 03-10-2014 07:37 PM
Rifle caliber choices for a long-term SHTF situation AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 4 12-08-2013 08:41 PM
Prepping: Long term storage food from Canneries and short term storage discussion. sharpie443 Food and water 7 06-13-2012 11:29 AM
Whats essential to your survival short term and long term outdoorsman21 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 07-14-2010 03:06 AM
Effect of long-term storage on baking powder functionality 411man Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 08-26-2008 06:19 PM
long term or short term riverrunner07 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 04-15-2008 11:10 AM
Short term or long term. Stoveman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 12-24-2007 11:51 AM

Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,936 Times in 24,236 Posts
Default Cooking, baking..short term long term, whats your plans in a shtf situation?

Advertise Here

Short term: I do have a whole house generator (natural gas) with propane back-up. It's worked fantastic the times we have used it (3 times)
including a 7 day outage last year, everything works great from A/c, Tv, lights
etc...no complaints.

Mid-term: I just bought a new gas grill with a sideburner and a built-in oven
with temperature control. I haven't used it yet. I have 5 propane tanks and I am curently looking into ways to determine how that will last if that becomes our primary cooking tool.

Long Term: (Over a year) Besides open fires in a fire pit with firewood I have
yet to formulate a plan.

I'd love to hear your thoughts
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,855 Times in 817 Posts

I have a small [about 1 cubic foot] over the gas grill oven for camping bought specifically for emergencies, plus I have instructions on building Sunset's famous adobe oven. Plus, there are a lot of breadstuffs you can make in a griddle, like fry bread, tortillas, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrowserCat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Really?

Thanked 10,509 Times in 5,063 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Pit fire, grill, dutch oven, smoker. All wood and charcoal.
The Following User Says Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM
High on a mountain top

Short term, 500 pound propane tank and lots of smaller ones. Longer term will be wood. Really want to look into building a solar cooker though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to contact00 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,767 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I have a few different solutions that I've picked up over the years. Some were camping items and some bought specifically for preps. I have the ubiquitous Coleman white gas camp stove and 5-6 gallons of fuel. I also have a small butane hot plate that I use at the table a lot for Korean BBQ and Hotpot dishes. I have a propane cooktop with a small broiler and grill. Bought it at Harbor Freight for $50-60 or so. I have 4 20 lb. tanks for it. I bought it as a way to broil a steak in winter without smoking up the house. I'm a grilling and BBQ fanatic so I have a grill and smoker and about 100 lbs of charcoal also. All of those are my short term solutions.

For mid term, I have an Alpaca kerosene cooker. I love that thing! I have one full and one partial drums of kerosene on hand. As I empty my partial drum, I'll order another full one. If I can recover from this economy, I've been wanting to get a third drum so I always have two full ones on hand.

For long term, I have two small wood stoves that will also do for heat. Not that heat is really needed here in the winter, but cooking will warm the house somewhat. I have an outdoor chiminea that I use on the covered porch for heat and atmosphere in cooler weather. Those are great for baking and simmering. I have a firepit in the back that I can use for cooking if needed. I'd probably have to do canning over the firepit since the small wood stoves don't really put out enough heat to bring such a large pot of water to a boil effectively. I collect cast iron, so I can always use the dutch ovens.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 12:49 PM
angel waiting

Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,333 Posts

My boyfriend and I installed a cooktop woodstove it not only heats our entire 1500' house but you can use pots and pans on it as well. This winter we are going to build a hollow thin metal box to put on top of the stove and try baking in it. My boyfriends grandmother would never use a modern stove and cooked and baked with her wood stove until she passed away, i"m hopeing to use some of her recipies this winter. We also have a gas grill with tanks and a 300 pound propane tank for our propane stove, plus outdoor fire pits are always an option. We purchased what I call pizza tins that come on handles you put bread in them fiil the bread with whatever you want close them up and they make great grilled sandwichs.
The Following User Says Thank You to tadbitangelny For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Altitude = higher calling

I have a commercial grade, stainless steel, dual-fuel charbroil in the back yard. And lowes has a kit to put in on natural gas off your house, which I have considered. I can cook with wood or charcoal in the BBQ as well, since it is dual fuel.

Also, I saved a bunch of bricks from an old planter we took out, and I have about 160 large chisel wall bricks in a landscaping wall I could cannibalize. I know how to make a hearth & oven with them, and I have both a slab AND a dirt area in my yard to do it in, as needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to WYOmegaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,911 Times in 2,481 Posts

I am going to build a solar cooker for backup, but mostly plan on using wood for cooking. We have forests all around us, so wood will be most available. My stove and oven operates off propane, and I have 100 gallon tank, so that will last quite a while, but it is nonrenewable, of course...I would nurse that along carefully to make it last longer.
I think a clay oven is an excellent idea.
The only problem with cooking outdoors is the announcement to the neighbors that you have food. Cooking smells and smoke are kind of hard to conceal. What solutions are available?
The Following User Says Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,767 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcw1284 View Post
I have a commercial grade, stainless steel, dual-fuel charbroil in the back yard. And lowes has a kit to put in on natural gas off your house, which I have considered. I can cook with wood or charcoal in the BBQ as well, since it is dual fuel.

Also, I saved a bunch of bricks from an old planter we took out, and I have about 160 large chisel wall bricks in a landscaping wall I could cannibalize. I know how to make a hearth & oven with them, and I have both a slab AND a dirt area in my yard to do it in, as needed.
How does the dual fuel setup work? I've been wondering about converting a wood stove to have propane burners as well, so that I could use either fuel. In fact, I was just about to post that question when I saw your reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 04:00 PM
born to be riled

I have a woodburning stove--not real great but gets the job done.
2 single burner butane stoves safe for indoor use with about 40 cannisters of butane.
1 single burner propane stove that also converts to a lantern with about 40 propane cans that also work in the propane heater.
Coleman 2 burner camp stove with 2 gal of fuel.
Diesel generator that will work the stove if really needed
The Following User Says Thank You to vgun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
How does the dual fuel setup work? I've been wondering about converting a wood stove to have propane burners as well, so that I could use either fuel. In fact, I was just about to post that question when I saw your reply.
It works ok, but I really don't use it that often. Most of the time I just use propane, because I am too impatient for charcoal. But having the ability to use it is something I relish, should SHTF. Of course, I have a shovel, so a wood fire can be just about anywhere, lol.

I also have a Coleman camp stove to fall back on, but i'm running low on fuel. Gotta get some more at wally next trip.
The Following User Says Thank You to WYOmegaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2009, 07:15 PM

We have a propane stove/oven and if my 500 gallon propane tank is full that'll last for quite some time. The only thing is my oven won't work without electricity but I can light the stove top with matches.
We also have a large barbeuce, small camping barbecue and a coleman stove with extra kerosene, several small propane canisters, and 20lb propane bottles. If it's winter time, the propane bottles would be used for a mr buddy heater we have.
A fire pit is an option but as others have pointed out, smoke and the smell of food might not be a good idea.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 7,429 Times in 3,000 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

For short/mid term, I have both a coleman dual fuel 2-burner campstove and a camp oven that fits on top of it, and a commercial-grade propane grill with side burner, as well as a generator.

For long term, we do have a chiminea and an outdoor fireplace, and I can use my cast iron dutch oven with those for baking. I want to get a woodburning stove for alternative heating/cooking, but we will have to do some rearranging and structural modifications in order to be able to put one in.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 PM
pack light, move quietly.

Default This is not a sales pitch

I have used wood fired backpacking stoves for years and am currently building my own. I have about 20 of them setting in my shop getting ready for Ebay. They work very well, on small amounts of lumber, problem being they are best for boiling. So its soups or stews mostly. They good thing is they really are fuel misers.
There are hundreds of different sites that sell these stoves or sites that show you how to make your own out of tin cans. Also in a SHTF scenario I'm not sure that I would worry to much about wood smoke, everybody is going to be burning wood just to survive. I would be more worried about the smells of cooking, I have heard somewhere that a starving man can smell cooking food from a mile away. The stoves I'm referring to are called Hobo Stoves.
I plan to use my propane sparingly and use the wood stoves as much as possible. I have a propane cook stove, propane water heater and propane slow cooker. I can prepare most anything in them. I currently have 5-20lb bottles, I use one and fill when empty.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 PM

I guess I should have mentioned that my house has two indoor fireplaces as well, one on the same floor as the kitchen. They are both raised in the wall, and the one on the kitchen level has a large 18"x72"x6" slab of sandstone in front of it that sits on a brick pedestal. This is an excellent hearth for bringing out a hot dutch oven, etc. I would not hesitate to cook in this fireplace, but it is not as large as I'd like either.

I also have a couple of backpacking stoves, but they are my last line of defense, so to speak. One lives in my BOB, and it's the new coleman design that uses the self-sealing reuseable fuel cylinders.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Survive... for what?

Thanked 1,410 Times in 575 Posts

Short Term, I bought a new Coleman Stove and am stocking up on propaine tanks for it.

Long Term, I guess wood, I have plenty of it, I will need to make some sort of grill or oven though....
Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,587 Times in 17,049 Posts

Before you all start laughing, consider the idea.

I have the usual stuff- propane etc.

I'm a bachelor and use my microwave A LOT. It got me thinking about a cooking option. If the SHTF and it's a slow but clear decent into chaos, there may be a week or month or two where I need to be VERY low key. (primary plan is to bug in- semi-rural with about 30-40 houses around me.) I'm thinking of a system where I have maybe a few square feet of solar cells on the roof that charge up batteries.

Here is where it gets a little odd. I wonder if I can run my microwave and maybe a single electric burner off an inverter hooked up to the batteries. I can boil water and heat food in minutes with no mess, no smoke, and I can stay indoors the whole time. This would be for the decent period (I believe the most dangerous) as people are flipping out, looting, and eventually killing/dying off. I would only need to use these things for literally 10-20 minutes each day for meals.

So fire away with thoughts on this.

-- I'm also looking for a single propane tabletop burner to use with my normal BBQ propane tanks- inside. I like options...
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,911 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

I'm a bachelor and use my microwave A LOT. It got me thinking about a cooking option. If the SHTF and it's a slow but clear decent into chaos, there may be a week or month or two where I need to be VERY low key. (primary plan is to bug in- semi-rural with about 30-40 houses around me.) I'm thinking of a system where I have maybe a few square feet of solar cells on the roof that charge up batteries.

Here is where it gets a little odd. I wonder if I can run my microwave and maybe a single electric burner off an inverter hooked up to the batteries. I can boil water and heat food in minutes with no mess, no smoke, and I can stay indoors the whole time. This would be for the decent period (I believe the most dangerous) as people are flipping out, looting, and eventually killing/dying off. I would only need to use these things for literally 10-20 minutes each day for meals.

-- I'm also looking for a single propane tabletop burner to use with my normal BBQ propane tanks- inside. I like options...
It seems to me that you would have to have quite a few solar cells to operate a microwave or anything else that heats (hot water heater, space heaters, etc.) It'd be totally awesome if you can do it, though!

This is interesting, but I don't know enough about it to know if it would work in a STHF scenario or not. What do you all think?
http://www.solar4power.com/solar-power-plug-in.html
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM
cute is not always enough

Get a pioneer stove. Looks great. Works great. You can even hook up a water heater to it.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 91,936 Times in 24,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grevlin View Post

I like the idea...I think in any SHTF situation the key (IMHO) is options
and the ability to change plans instantley.

You go MacGyver!!