Camo Cooking - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunting Camo vs. Military Camo TheArcane Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 145 11-25-2015 10:48 AM
Swiss Alpine Camo/Winter camo? paramilusmc General Discussion 20 07-05-2015 11:13 AM
What is your camo? Chris22 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 05-01-2015 01:44 AM
DIY camo AR logartist DIY - Do It Yourself 59 12-02-2014 07:32 AM
Cooking a meal in Tudor times: from starting the fire to menu and cooking. Kansas Terri General Discussion 1 11-10-2013 12:02 PM
DIY Camo foggg DIY - Do It Yourself 0 10-09-2013 03:04 PM
To camo or not? Prepared2Surviv Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 05-30-2011 03:15 PM
How do you camo your BOV? JoeKan Vehicles & Transportation 40 02-08-2010 07:02 PM
Camo... Gunner65 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 36 01-25-2010 05:15 PM

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Hunter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextex View Post
Do you realize how far you can smell a pot of beans cooking even without smoke? There is no solution to this problem.
No, exactly how far can they smell it? I think they were asking for a solution to not be seen a mile away while cooking, and that is easy with HEET or Alcohol on a small camp stove.

I am sure if someone was close enough they could smell it, but at first light, most won't be active yet, and at just before dark most people who are still alive should of figured out they need shelter and be working on that not tromping around in the woods looking for who is cooking beans. I would think most people would be cooking other things anyway. Like Ramon, rice, etc. There are things that the smell is almost not present.

The best solution is to not be where these people are. I went on a six hour hike 2 weeks ago where I plan on going, I did not see any people. I saw a lizard, 12 geese, 6 deer and a dog about 3 tenth a mile away on the next ridge, but not one person. If I cooked there in a situation like we are talking about and the people on the other side of the river didn't see my fire, then most likely nobody would have any idea I was cooking anything. The people in that area are already pretty much bugged out by nature of location, and I know most of the people native to the area. I'll bet I will hear or see anyone whilst cooking long before they find me. Most likely there won't be anyone else there though to smell me cooking anything.

There is a very big island in the middle of the river, to get there you must cross a rock bed and most likely get a little wet. They would also have to hike down the river bank for over a mile to get there as there is a cliff face all down through there with only 2 places they can come down. Due to the islands location I could see them for hours before they could ever get to me on foot, especially if far enough in that I am across from the first place they can access the river bottom. which is at the opposing end where the rock shelf is they need to get to me, LMAO. I could be roasting a hog with an apple in it's mouth in a fire pit and even if they did smell it chances of getting where I am are pretty near nilch. The only real worry would be a guy with a scoped rifle on the ridge or a guy in a boat.

I probably won't need to be anywhere near the island though, but I may just hide a raft there just in case I need a quick get away.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,899 Times in 3,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterHome2012 View Post
I have read many articles and post about people worried about cooking outdoors in a SHTF type situation. The fear of being discovered as cooking the neighborhood grub
Depending on how urban your setting is, rooftops could be your best method for avoiding notice and dispersing smoke/scent. If you're in a more suburban setting with primarily wooden and slope roofed buildings, simply venting into the attic (through wire mesh to capture sparks) from small indoor woodstoves would seem practical.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Savage intellectual

Thanked 1,496 Times in 729 Posts

Last year I did an experiment. I went hiking on the Florida Trial south of Juniper springs campground in the Ocala National Forest. I hiked out from the campground where folks were setting up campfires until I could no longer smell the smoke of the wood fires. It was over a mile.

My solution has been to use a Garlington inverted woodgas stove that I made out of two dog food cans and burn only penny-wood; small dried sticks and twigs. The woodgas stove does a great job of keeping smoke down - a sign of incomplete combustion - by allowing air back into the hot gas for a second burning. Using pennywood means I always have a supply of stick I don't need to chop or saw, and the cooking process takes 30 min or less.

While my plan differed a bit, here is a good outline of the process I used. I find that Pedigree dog food cans, one large and one medium, fit perfectly for the project.

Consequently, I can boil a pot of water in 10 min, renydrate some Mountain House, chow down and clean up in under 30 min with very little smell and no smoke.

YMMV.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
bitch slappin Krackens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzline View Post
If people are starving they will smell the food cooking from miles away. That would be a bigger problem than smoke or flame in my opinion.
Agreed.
Set a smaller fire downwind of your cooking fire and use it to incinerate fecal matter.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer714 View Post
Dakota fire pit minimizes smoke by alot.

OK, I tried for HOURS to get this to work, but for the life of me I cant make that one hunk of dirt float in the air like in the pic...
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruzer1800 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
never quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer1800 View Post
OK, I tried for HOURS to get this to work, but for the life of me I cant make that one hunk of dirt float in the air like in the pic...
you're pulling our leg, right??
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer1800 View Post
Thanks for the laugh.

Faith!!! So certain are you? Obviously it works, only those jedi survivalist have learned they have to properly the force use. Use the force yessss, feeel it. Always do what can not be done. Do you nothing that I say? NO, not it, not work, only not work in your mind, you must unlearn what you have learned. No, try not, do, or do not. There is no try. The force, it's energy surrounds us, binds us, you must feel the force. If you do not, lift the dirt, how can you millineum falcon, ever lift huumn.
The Following User Says Thank You to INCH PACKER For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Prepared

save your cooking for high pressure weather.. smoke rises more rapidly under a high pressure system..

a low pressure (overcast) system will lay smoke AND odor down at ground level..

So one could cook rice, etc when it's raining or fixin' to.. and save the chilli for clear days.. more wind could also help disperse odors... and "burning garbage" (as mentioned above) could also help..

just some things to consider..
Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Titleless

Thanked 1,243 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rextex View Post
Do you realize how far you can smell a pot of beans cooking even without smoke? There is no solution to this problem.
Every problem has a solution. In this case it is Fire-less cooking in a fire-less cooker.

http://www.preppers.info/uploads/Foo...ess_Cooker.pdf
Old 02-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 7,100 Times in 2,364 Posts

The use of charcoal in a Dakota stove rather than wood will further reduce the smoke signature. Using a dutch oven and minimizes the smoke signature AND contains the cooking smell of the food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dutch oven cooking.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	61324  
Old 02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,178 Posts

another consideration would be the carrying of maybe 3 feet of pipe which after the pit is dug can be driven through the dirt on an angle --- get a piece that is threaded so you can put a cap on it and not damage the threads --- also cut the a point on the end which is going into the ground so it can easily be driven ito the ground and then drive it directly into the dug fire pit
The Following User Says Thank You to ackbob For This Useful Post: