Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perfect survival weapon Laufstahl Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 37 03-22-2018 07:51 PM
Budget survival weapon + ammo bpdh Firearms General Discussion 35 06-01-2014 07:59 PM
combat and/or survival weapon set up homefront Firearms General Discussion 63 01-08-2014 01:59 PM
The perfect survival weapon proudpatriot66 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 84 11-03-2013 12:53 AM
Finishing up my all purpose survival weapon therichardpowell Shotgun Forum 35 02-13-2013 10:02 AM
.410 good survival weapon among others BugOutBoy91 Firearms General Discussion 63 10-27-2012 11:55 PM
Best All Around Survival Weapon AK8139 Ladies Section 92 05-21-2012 02:48 PM
What is the most versatile survival weapon? Jochoa Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 80 04-04-2012 10:01 AM
M1 Carbine as a Survival Weapon 89LSC Military Weapons Forum 119 11-06-2011 11:21 AM

View Poll Results: The Best Survival Weapon.
Recurve 250 29.00%
Longbow 145 16.82%
Compound 143 16.59%
Crossbow 150 17.40%
Slingshot 79 9.16%
Blowgun 8 0.93%
Muzzleloader 87 10.09%
Voters: 862. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,856 Times in 1,363 Posts

Advertise Here

AR for short to medium term survival, crossbow for long term, potentially, though I prefer ARs and poaching / farming.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 AM

The best weapon is the one you have until you get a better one and the ability to make and use primitive weapons are a must bows atlatl bolas blowguns Kylie sticks Spears slingshots Swiss arrows David slings plumbatums knives war clubs rope dart cross bow pvc pipe bow pebble bow pvc gun windless if you can't make and use half of what's on here you won't make it and this is not even a list of all the other stuff that should be on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bishopj For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopj View Post
The best weapon is the one you have until you get a better one and the ability to make and use primitive weapons are a must bows atlatl bolas blowguns Kylie sticks Spears slingshots Swiss arrows David slings plumbatums knives war clubs rope dart cross bow pvc pipe bow pebble bow pvc gun windless if you can't make and use half of what's on here you won't make it and this is not even a list of all the other stuff that should be on here.
Agree with you 100% in regards to the " best " comment above. Already have the better weapon as well as the means to support it long term.

How many of those weapons mentioned can be made without a knife , axe, or some " other" cutting instrument? Animal traps as well as mantraps , early warning devices, etc...? Fishing / bird nets?

While a modern firearm as well as a few other weapons on both lists may constitute as " better" for defense, knives and axes were both left out .....even thou they are just as essential now as when they were " invented"....... and neither can run out of ammo, BP, bolts, or arrows. ( Not all areas have suitable rocks to load slingshots with, or materials to fabricate a decent sharp stick ( spear)....let alone archery of any kind.

The " best" may be a modern firearm, but I would still argue that the most " essential " is a knife followed closely by the axe. Either is about as primitive as you can get.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ole reliable.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	291844  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,409 Times in 1,908 Posts

I was hoping for more on bows as firearms were not one of the options. I'm getting ready to put a bow at the cabin. Thinking compound over recurve. I will start with 1/2 each of carbon, glass and aluminum. A dozen broad heads and field points. A hand full of knocks, inserts and vanes. Even a small hand fletching jig. I'll finish sighting in the scope the nagant and a single shot 22. I will find one of my single shot shotguns, with a couple of spare barrels and should be set. the cabin just needs to be ready for a blizzard and a months stay
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I was hoping for more on bows as firearms were not one of the options. I'm getting ready to put a bow at the cabin. Thinking compound over recurve. I will start with 1/2 each of carbon, glass and aluminum. A dozen broad heads and field points. A hand full of knocks, inserts and vanes. Even a small hand fletching jig. I'll finish sighting in the scope the nagant and a single shot 22. I will find one of my single shot shotguns, with a couple of spare barrels and should be set. the cabin just needs to be ready for a blizzard and a months stay
2 rifles and a shotgun with a couple of spare barrels for a month should be more than sufficient. If this is about archery season where your cabin is located, I would go with a compound bow . ( Have hunted with both and a decent compound bow is the better tool during archery season)

Have no idea if the compound bow would be considered a " primitive" weapon. ( The M14 service rifle has been around d longer than the compound bow has.) Your Nag ant is quite a bit older than either.

11B
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM

My vote was Crossbow just too easy to use imho. It's good enough to do the job.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,337 Times in 3,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuck49 View Post
My vote was Crossbow just too easy to use imho. It's good enough to do the job.
Crazy talk lol. You've been watching too many movies.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 06:26 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,650 Times in 939 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
The ultimate single survival weapon is a 12 gage break open shotgun.

It can be used to hunt anything on the North American Continent.

Any thing from a squirrel to a grizzly bear !

You can fire flares or tear gas with it.

You can reload the ammo with simple hand tools.

You can even use it with black powder as a muzzle loading weapon.

No other weapon has the versatility of this weapon .
I DIDN'T See the single shot 12ga as an option, I must have missed it when reading the question.

I'd opt for that too so long as I had a lot of ammo to go with it,
but
for "survival" you need something very long term and you can make arrows but primers are hard to make in your garage shop
Old 09-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Officer Friendly

Thanked 2,404 Times in 700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post

Just out of curiosity, why would you prefer a single shot shotgun over a pump or semi auto? You can get a nice pump for not much more than a single barrel and it offers more utility for follow up shots, home defense, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twilight For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,409 Times in 1,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you prefer a single shot shotgun over a pump or semi auto? You can get a nice pump for not much more than a single barrel and it offers more utility for follow up shots, home defense, etc.
Because I have 6 single shot shotguns and multiple barrels for them. I have two pump shotguns but have not shot them in 25+ years. for serious bird hunting I use an O/U. I keep the singles around the place for targets of opportunity.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Crazy talk lol. You've been watching too many movies.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Agreed. I have used archery for sport hunting since I was a kid. Not nearly as easy as folks think it is to hunt with any type of archery....let alone home made bows and arrows. Crossbow bolts made from scratch have more challenges.

In addition.......The thread is titled " Best weapon for survival."...... yet most everything on the list are makeshift weapons once they apparently run themselves black on ammo via thier shotguns, rimfires, and centerfires.

Just how many rounds of ammunition are folks planning to shoot up per day via long term is a question that comes to mind?

Example: Shoot 1 round a day . That = 365 rds per year. That = 10950 rounds in 30 years. 21900 rds in 60 years.

43800 rds in 120 years.

Now.......

1 pallet of 7.62x51mm R1M1 ball is just the same amount as 120 year supply of ammo at 1 round discharged per day.....every day...for 120 years straight.

At this rate......we have enough 7.62x51mm to last over 500 years by itself. ( Not counting 22lr, 7.62x39mm, or any other cartridge we stock......much less ,raising livestock, trapping, etc......

This also does not include reloading, casting your own bullets, making gun powder, or fabricating primer compound and re using once fired primers.

Now take into account the average amount of boneless meat that a year to 2 year old Doe represents. ( 40 lbs give or take and does not include other parts of a deer that are edible.)

At 1 lbs of meat consumed per day.....this equals 40 days. One way to look at it is that 1 round is required every 40 days instead of 1 round every day unless the plan is to shoot a critter every day that only produces 1 lbs of meat. ( Another reason among many as to why 12ga/ 20ga shotshells vs small game make little sense for long term survival btw. ....) Add in a full grown buck at average of 100 lbs of meat vs one shot to put him in the dirt with no need to track him in a possibly " hostile" environment. Add to this a shot of opportunity and 308 gets it done from point blank to well past 400 yards. ( No need for mousefart loads for small game either. Have used 1 load with the same bullet to take rabbits up to moose and over 200 yards away with correct shot placement. )

Note: The one niche that a bow brings to the table = taking fish or other marine life through water. As with shooting birds in flight with shotguns, both are in reality " sport" hunting and not hunting to survive. ( That and there are much better " tools to use for taking both......which is ironically the same " tool" that can be fabricated from scratch and had been around B.C. )

However.......This is the primitive weapons section, so modern firearms could be ruled out simply for that reason alone I suppose.

Nothing on the list here is more useful than a knife or 2, and followed very close by the axe. ( I always have at least 2 knives with me now, much less a long term end of world without law as we know it nowadays event.)

In the time it would take me to fabricate a primitive bow along with 20 complete arrows , I could fabricate a crude knife and use it to make at least 50 animal traps including emplacement of said traps. Don't need to fabricate a knife however.

A knife by far = the number 1 most important weapon for survival imo. ( Long or short term.)

11B
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post: