Shotgun Wedding - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wedding pic! crochetqueen Ladies Section 16 05-21-2013 07:05 AM
comes to getting everything done for the wedding yang123 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 13 05-17-2012 08:50 PM
11-11-11 Wedding alergyfree General Discussion 16 11-20-2011 03:14 PM
The Wedding Party... MIL-DOT Jokes, Humor & Music 0 09-21-2011 06:41 PM
Score at wedding SSGNasty DIY - Do It Yourself 14 06-08-2011 10:56 PM
Wedding anchorbanger Jokes, Humor & Music 5 08-04-2009 10:06 AM
Shotgun Wedding Caoccha Jokes, Humor & Music 0 05-29-2009 10:36 AM

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,613 Posts
Thumbs up Pump-Shotgun Wedding

Advertise Here

There's no reason NOT to have at least one shotgun around if you're a serious prepper or survivalist.. Since there are so many excellent new shotguns available for well under $250 out there it's hard to pick just one!

Here's a few that are currently available:

Savage-Stevens 320 is a Winchester 1300 clone with accessories offered on shotguns costing nearly 10x as much:

Savage-Stevens 350 is a Ithaca Model 37 clone that's built like a Abrams tank:

H&R Pardner Pump is a Remington 870 clone with a few improvements:

Maverick Model 88 is a Mossberg 500 clone with a different safety location for a great price and made in USA:

Mossberg 500. No pic necessary..

All of these shotguns are available in different barrel lengths and configurations, and typically have many accessories to to suit your specific shooting needs. It's a good idea to increase the versatility of your SG by having a spare barrel with choke tubes for wing shooting birds and waterfowl, and an 18" cylinder choke barrel for things that go "BUMP" at 3am. or blasting a deer for dinner
Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,214 Times in 3,820 Posts

WHY ????? lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbowie1 View Post
WHY ????? lol
If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 06:06 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,138 Posts

Id suggest buying American because if you dont

you will probably be using your weapons sooner

rather than later.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Hiker

I started building a small gun collection several years ago. My 'prime directive' was one of home defense, so almost all of my guns ended up being, in one way or another, of a tactical nature.

And I found myself gravitating to the shotgun as the gun of choice for home defense, since it is so doggoned versatile. The range of ammo available is astounding, from slugs (which with 12 guage, end up being about rifle caliber .73), to mild target or game loads, all the way to heavy buckshot, or, otherwise, whatever you might care to load into the shell.

Chokes that alter the pattern of the shot give even more versatility, and various aftermarket accessories can allow you to personalize your gun, for your purposes and uses, almost to any configuration you can imagine.

Prices do start low, but even at lower prices, quality may surprise. A year or so ago I bought (what is now my only pump gun) a NEF/H&R Pardner for $179, and found it to be well made, maybe not the finest fitted and looking...but a shotgun just as capable as any of my others. And being a pump, one I've shot enough to have broken in sufficiently, it will always be stone solid reliable. Load it, shoot it, pump that slide, shoot it again...

And while shotgun ammo is bulky and heavy, it is available everywhere at reasonable prices. Or conversely, you can load your own.

Overall, for home defense, it's mighty hard to beat a good shotgun. Even an old beat up single shot is better than a stick, when facing imminent danger on your front porch.

Edited to add...Oh yeah, I actually did perform a classic 'shotgun wedding' on 10-10-10. As a wedding, it hit all the cliches dead on the money. The bride was 17, pregnant, and actually barefoot (the brides'maids were barefoot too). As she proceeded up the grassy knoll (it was an outside wedding) I heard her father saying to the groom, "I have my shotgun in the car, so don't be doing no thinking about taking a powder bud..."

Between the two of them, they now have a two kids, and are as happy as can be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shotgunbill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,173 Times in 596 Posts

My first shotgun was a single shot N.E. just loved that gun. It would put a dent in the shoulder of next week. But it got the job done long enough for me to get a Mossburg 500 pump. Had to sell that and my savage 300 plus my canoe so i could buy Camp Gristle ten + years ago. Building back up now with another single shot 12ga (cheapo) and my .22Lr bolt.

Kicking myself now but camp is all bought and paid for. BIG BONUS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gristle62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Old Soldier

Thanked 10,173 Times in 3,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post
If you have to ask why, you wouldn't understand...
I'm beginning to understand. I've got "a few" (still an amature, less than 20).
Single shot, double barrel, pump. 410, 20 ga, 12 ga.
I like shotguns.
Used, American made guns can frequently be inexpensive. My Remington 870 12 ga was only $185 w/tax and NCIS call in.
I've also found a 20 ga single Ithaca for $20, and a 12 ga single Stevens for free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,169 Times in 2,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy_McNasty View Post

Maverick Model 88 is a Mossberg 500 clone with a different safety location for a great price and made in USA....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoycottTheDay View Post
Id suggest buying American ...
Well, the Maverick is assembled in the USA (barely - you can spit across the border).

Many, if not most/all (Mossberg won't say) the components are made in Mexico.

Sadly or not, the Chinese Pardner is better constructed; not just my opinion either.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,173 Times in 596 Posts

Just put down 10 bucks on a raffle ticket. Get this: For a 12 ga. double barrel Browning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gristle62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,335 Posts

Is it just me or does the Savage-Stevens 350 have a really pronounced drop at the butstock?
Old 03-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
I'm beginning to understand. I've got "a few" (still an amature, less than 20).
Single shot, double barrel, pump. 410, 20 ga, 12 ga.
I like shotguns.
Used, American made guns can frequently be inexpensive. My Remington 870 12 ga was only $185 w/tax and NCIS call in.
I've also found a 20 ga single Ithaca for $20, and a 12 ga single Stevens for free.

Exactly, I picked up a 1969 Browning Auto 5 at a pawnshop in central texas several years ago, They wanted 300 for it, I talked them down to under to 200 cause it had someones initials engraved in the stock, Works Perfect....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rifleman69 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Thumbs up

I performed a quick Google search and came up with six places that have the Savage-Stevens 320 listed for under $200:

Quote:
Savage Arms Stevens 320 Security Pump Shotgun 12 Gauge with 18.5" Matte Blue Barrel and Black Synthetic Stock with Vertical Pistol Grip. Features cylinder choke, bead sights, rotary bolt design, dual slide bars and side ejection.
* Barrel Length:18.5"
* Overall Length:39"
* Weight:6.85 lbs
* Chamber:3"
* Caliber:12 Gauge
* Capacity:5+1
That's a hell of a great deal!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 AM
This is a great survival forum

For all you people knocking the maverick 88. It is a great shotgun. Mine has out run bennies, Remmies, and winnies. And at half the cost.

It's one of the best guns you canbuy for under $200 IMPO.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH12194 View Post
For all you people knocking the maverick 88. It is a great shotgun. Mine has out run bennies, Remmies, and winnies. And at half the cost.

It's one of the best guns you canbuy for under $200 IMPO.
Nearly all of the aftermarket accessories available for the Mossberg 500-series fits the Maverick as well
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:34 PM

I love my maverick 88. Best bargain buy i ever made. If the trigger assembly being made in mexico is honestly that big of a deal to you then you can swap it out with a mossberg 500 trigger assembly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sn0wman4unc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Michigan Gun Nut

The Savage-Stevens 350 is Made in China and the action sounds a bucket of gravel. I've seen 'em at work. Not impressed. I'll buy an old Ithaca or a new ( Upper Sandusky OH made) but not a Chinese made POJ.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackBohm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,675 Times in 2,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Well, the Maverick is assembled in the USA (barely - you can spit across the border).

Many, if not most/all (Mossberg won't say) the components are made in Mexico.

Sadly or not, the Chinese Pardner is better constructed; not just my opinion either.

- OS
cant say as i never really handled the pardner but i can honestly say the 88's have been perfectly fine. i have a couple. soem older and well i thought i could use a new one a moth or so ago. got to love acadamy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM

I am somewhat in the market for a tactical shotgun and will have to reference this thread(s) when I decide to pull the trigger.

I have handled a few while hunting and out of the pumps I really prefer the Benelli Super Nova. Albeit pricy and not what I would get for home defense I would definitely check out the Nova (non super) as it is much cheaper and boasts the same components minus the comfort tech stock.

The action and "fit/finish" is much nicer than the low end mossbergs or remingtons I have shot. It shoulders nicely and swings like a champ but that is with the 26" barrel and comfort tech stock and it doesn't rattle nearly as much. Maybe the others I have handled were abused, but that is my experience. Break down is simple, no tools need to remove the trigger assembly. The magazine cap has a nipple on it to punch the pins out. Pump action is smooth and and I can fire it almost as fast as I can a semi auto Franchi.

One thing I would make sure of though is that it is chambered up to a 3.5" shell. Especially if it is the one you are planning on grabbing when you BO. It will be able to chamber and fire any sized round in its gauge that you happen to come across that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayballs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Hiker

i buy every cheap shotgun i can find and then test it for function and fix it and put it back.someday they will be worth a mint.if things get bad yu can slap it and some number 4 buck in a city boys hands and he is a formible opponet at close range. you can hunt squirrels, rabbits,birds and all kinds of varmints and deer with it at close range.you can keep a cheap shotgun in every shed on your place for home defense.you can carry them on your tractor and in your truck and always feel ready.i love shotguns!
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Target Shooter

Ive got the maverick 88 as shown in the picture above .
She wears an el cheapo elastic side saddle on the stock loaded with 5 extra buck or slugs , the factory sling she came with , a $30 pachmyer slip on decelerater , occasionally has some survival gear stuffed in the plastic stock under the slip on , and carries some scratches on the barrel mag tube and reciever ( just adds character ).
There is not a prettier sight than that old bear buster lying across by back pack as I eat lunch in a sub alpine cutblock during a day of pre season scouting .
Mavericks have quite a following amongst hunters out here , you want a bear gun to go in your truck or ATV , ask anyone and theyll say , "get a maverick " , unless they own a gun store .
And theyre tough to .
I get blue lock tite in my action , it stiffened a little , but did not jam .
A friend with more confidence than me asked if he could strip and clean it , and replace it if he failed .
He had never stripped a gun before , but it took him one day and no instruction and she works just fine . Later on that year we went shooting with his girlfriend . As we were shooting I realised I didn't kow were the maverick was . Turns out someone had sit it on the ground and now buddies girlfriend was standing on it , right were the action joins the stock , half buried in spring time mud .
There was no damage and I still use that gun 2 years later .
What more can you say
The Following User Says Thank You to sortofready For This Useful Post: