Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello & Happy New Year from Minneapolis! mplsatty New Member Introduction 12 02-22-2015 05:43 PM
Forecast 4/24 Tornado alley: Massive Tornado Outbreak This Weekend Robert_W General Discussion 26 04-25-2014 01:29 PM
Hi from Minneapolis! ididntdoit New Member Introduction 17 11-11-2013 10:23 AM
Minneapolis - Connections Roadagent1 Events, Connections and Get togethers 3 11-24-2012 06:46 PM
Tornado Damage from 4/15/2012 Woodward Oklahoma Tornado Medic73 Manmade and Natural Disasters 10 04-24-2012 08:55 PM
Mob Attacks in Minneapolis emh1701 Urban Survival 80 04-08-2012 02:14 AM
Hello from Minneapolis urban122 New Member Introduction 19 08-11-2010 09:32 PM
Hello from Minneapolis! democ New Member Introduction 8 12-16-2008 08:13 PM
Hello from Minneapolis AaronAA New Member Introduction 5 05-21-2008 10:15 AM

Old 05-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,760 Times in 8,594 Posts
Default Tornado in Minneapolis

Advertise Here

http://www.startribune.com/local/122417279.html

Bad weather here in Minnesota today, tornado came through Minneapolis. About 30 injured, 1 dead, lots of property damage to a traditionally poor (many African Americans) neighborhood. Curfew imposed, first time I ever remember this happening in my state.

"...Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and Police Chief Tim Dolan said early Sunday night that a large section of north Minneapolis -- roughy 4 square miles -- was being put under a curfew to help emergency personnel move around and to combat potential looting of damaged homes and businesses.

The curfew was scheduled to run from 9 p.m. Sunday to 6 a.m. Monday and cover from Interstate 94 west to Penn Avenue and from Plymouth Avenue north to Dowling Avenue. Anyone trying to enter that area will have to show identification first, the mayor and the police chief said. Also, residents within that perimeter must stay in their homes “for their own safety,” said city spokesman Matt Laible.

“We don’t want any looting,” Dolan said, explaining the need for the curfew. “There’s property strewn all over. There are wires down. There’s not much lighting. It’s for people’s safety and for the safety of people’s property.”

Rybak said the curfew was scheduled to last three days but that time frame is subject to evaluation...."
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 PM
just your average nobody

it missed my place up here near Blaine by about a mile. Close call
Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 PM
just starting.

Yea, they issued a curfew for tonight in north Minneapolis. The sheriffs office called in all the C.E.R.T members to help watch the perimeter . I guess there is a lot of looting and some gunshots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Destroyer of Karen

Thanked 22,547 Times in 7,363 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Stay safe guys!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Hiker

I heard there's no more gas stations and liquor stores left in North Minneapolis with any goods, all cleaned out in the first hour. But of course this was bound to happen when the north side got hit. Hopefully it doesn't start to spill out, I'm just glad I got a couple mile buffer.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Spectre

It passed us by and I thought for sure the winds were going to rip up some of my trees.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Prepared

I'm troubled by the curfew, and news is reporting this morning that they've blocked off highway exits to that area as well. On the one hand, I perfectly understand the need to keep looters, sightseers, etc. under control. And to keep kids from wandering onto power lines, broken debris, etc. But on the other hand, I will decide when/where I'm going. If it was my neighborhood, and I needed prescription medication, food, etc. I can't see how a curfew would help. This is obviously another reason to prep.

The other tidbit that came out this morning is that these neighborhoods have a high renter population (I believe Minneapolis is nearly 50% rented on average), so I wonder how that plays into the resident psychology. Perhaps slumlords, speculators and corporations own much of the real estate. When I rented an apartment, I'd grab my valuables and leave. But it is different when it's your own home, your attitude toward property, your neighbors, your neighborhood as a whole.

But we got news of Joplin this morning, and Minneapolis looks pretty tame compared with what they got down there.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,304 Posts

Please tell me the New Riverside Cafe was spared?
Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Prepared

Your source? Beyond the curfew, I didn't hear any of the rest reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman121 View Post
Yea, they issued a curfew for tonight in north Minneapolis. The sheriffs office called in all the C.E.R.T members to help watch the perimeter . I guess there is a lot of looting and some gunshots.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Prepared

There have been reports of looting the past couple days in Minneapolis:

"Increased looting reported in north Minneapolis neighborhoods damaged by Sunday's tornado"
http://www.startribune.com/local/min...122591494.html

"MINNEAPOLIS - Police say there's been an increase in burglaries in north Minneapolis since Sunday's deadly tornado, with thieves kicking in doors and using trucks to load up stolen items...."

I read an article of a liquor store being looted as well. I'd like to blame it on the neighborhood, on opportunistic people accustomed to poverty, but it's hard to say. Would even well-to-do neighborhoods loot themselves, or do they just prefer to look institutionally (run banks/governments to the ground, exploit positions of power/influence, etc.).