Solar Power and Rechargeable Batteries:Suggestions? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar chargers and rechargeable batteries kev Urban Survival 13 08-16-2016 10:11 AM
rechargeable batteries and a solar charger diy budgetprepp-n DIY - Do It Yourself 8 06-30-2013 04:37 PM
rechargeable batteries theflatlander Urban Survival 52 11-06-2012 08:34 AM
40% off Promaster XtraPower rechargeable batteries & charger kit (With 4 Batteries) GearHog GearHog 0 05-10-2012 02:00 AM
Solar or wind up charger for small rechargeable batteries survivalistmomma Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 08-30-2010 09:45 AM
Rechargeable Batteries bigislandhikers Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 04-03-2010 04:02 PM
What kind of cost involved with setting up solar panels/batteries for off grid power? JohnnyScience Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 11-12-2009 05:24 AM
Rechargeable Batteries roof_top_eagle Urban Survival 16 04-24-2009 08:52 AM
Rechargeable Batteries? SmershAgent Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 03-08-2008 07:41 PM
rechargeable batteries JRNC26 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-18-2007 11:37 AM

Old 09-27-2010, 12:51 AM

Default Solar Power and Rechargeable Batteries:Suggestions?

Advertise Here

hello all,

I have this idea to use a Solio charger such as the one pictured below to charge my electronics. I have not purchased it yet but I believe it will charge my Blackberry just fine. I do not have a rechargeable battery settup. I realize the benefits of rechargeable batteries and would like a way to charge my batteries in a bug out situation. (All my electronics are AA, thanks to the advise of you guys).

My question to you all is:

1. Can you suggest a good rechargeable battery system and explain it a bit for me. How portable is it? Do batterys last long?

2. Is there a way to use the Solio charger (I have my mind set on the Solio but if this will not work and you can suggest something else I may consider a different choice) to charge the batteries?

3. Any advice?

Thanks guys!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM

for serious reliable battery charging i would recommend one of the 15 watt solar panels that you can find anywhere and a deep cycle battery hooked to it as your power source. then you can just use a standard battery charger connected with a car power adaptor.

this way you can charge batteries day or night and cloudy days plus it will charge a lot faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to merccom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Silent Observer

Bought this solar panel from here:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/6wpanel.html

Also got the battery charger: (note the 12v adapter)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/md-3000-charger.html

Got this from Radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3889591

Batteries you can get anywhere. But I got this from amazon (when it was only $31.00), Very versatile:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-277265-e...4565420&sr=8-8

With this set up you can charge batteries for just about anything, but also your cell phone, ipod, computer, etc ... anything you can plug into your car.

Also you can charge a car battery if necessary.

The whole concept is based on this - only better:

Hope this helps
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to protector987 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector987 View Post
Bought this solar panel from here:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/6wpanel.html

Also got the battery charger: (note the 12v adapter)
http://www.batteryjunction.com/md-3000-charger.html

Got this from Radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3889591

Batteries you can get anywhere. But I got this from amazon (when it was only $31.00), Very versatile:
http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-277265-e...4565420&sr=8-8

With this set up you can charge batteries for just about anything, but also your cell phone, ipod, computer, etc ... anything you can plug into your car.

Also you can charge a car battery if necessary.

The whole concept is based on this - only better:
YouTube - Create A Solar iPhone and USB Charger

Hope this helps
awesome set up. just a heads up though, a couple of the links dont actually go anywhere.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,091 Times in 45,525 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I have a bunch of small solar chargers similar to this one:

Amazon.com: Solar 11-in-1 Battery Charger:... cover
Amazon.com: Solar 11-in-1 Battery Charger:...
I try to standardize on AA for my radios, flashlights, weapon sights, etc. But some of my lanterns require D batteries and my perimeter alarms use 9V. I can charge them all with these chargers. They're small enough to be carried in the bug out bag, which is extremely important to me. I have a larger panel charger for use around the house too, but it's not portable enough for my BOB.

I've been using Nicads since the 90s. It's time to replace them though. It looks like Eneloops are the best battery technology right now, but they're still too pricey to replace all my batteries with. Hopefully the price will come down soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,082 Posts

I always love these threads. Technology is eventually going to catch up with demand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gallo Pazzesco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 10:15 PM

I prefer the setup mentioned by a previous poster if portability or weight is not a huge problem. Take a traditional 20-50W 12V solar panel, a 12V AGM battery, and charge controller. Then buy 12v Chargers for your various devices. This will give you the ability to charge your AAs off you stored battery power at night or during inclement weather.

powerfilm makes two AA battery chargers. One charges 4 AA batteries at a time, the other model charges 2 AA batteries, but also will charge USB devices. the AA/USB model was on sale at Amazon for 69.00 in August. They are currently 99.00

I also have a Brunton Solarport with battery charger. They are discontinued, but you can get them off ebay for around $40-50.00 if you are patient.
The Following User Says Thank You to metrowash For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Geronimo!

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,082 Posts

Metro, you got any links or diagrams for that? I'm having a hard time picturing it.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Hiker

I found the Solio to take forever to charge so I switched to the Brunton 4.4. It's bulkier but works well in overcast conditions.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlungPup For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Power film F15-300 5w Folding Solar Panel Charger

Amazon.com: F15-300 5w Folding Solar Panel... cover
Amazon.com: F15-300 5w Folding Solar Panel...
With a Lenmar R2G802U R2G 2 Hour Charger Includes USB Output and Alarm Clock with for AA/AAA Batteries

Amazon.com: Lenmar R2G802U R2G 2 Hour Charger... cover
Amazon.com: Lenmar R2G802U R2G 2 Hour Charger...
Two powerfilm folding Solar panels can be daisy chained together to increase power. I have two 5w panels and can daisy chain them for single 10w power. Does my Garmin 530's lithium battery in about 4-5 hrs and does batteries in half that. Great product.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 26,557 Times in 10,485 Posts

id recomend the cobra charger its made to go on backpacks

http://www.ecodigital.co.uk/estore/i...roducts_id=146

or solar gorila

Amazon.com: Solar Gorilla Laptop Charger:... cover
Amazon.com: Solar Gorilla Laptop Charger:...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 PM

If it really hit the fan, do you think the internet, cell towers, etc will even work? I am thinking it will be more like the late 1800s in how things will operate but I could be wrong. I dont have a BOB per se because I am looking to survive at home. I dont think we will have access to gasoline, propane, natural gas, electric, etc. I am looking at manual water wells, woodstove to cook on, root cellar, candles, etc. I know there are many different scenarios but I plan on the worst.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EXODUS15:3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXODUS15:3 View Post
If it really hit the fan, do you think the internet, cell towers, etc will even work? I am thinking it will be more like the late 1800s in how things will operate but I could be wrong. I dont have a BOB per se because I am looking to survive at home. I dont think we will have access to gasoline, propane, natural gas, electric, etc. I am looking at manual water wells, woodstove to cook on, root cellar, candles, etc. I know there are many different scenarios but I plan on the worst.
might not have internet but i have a small energy efficient little laptop and external hardrive with a ****load of information books and how too's being able to acess it when its no longer available will be invaluable also my ipod will keep me from going crazy needs juice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
might not have internet but i have a small energy efficient little laptop and external hardrive with a ****load of information books and how too's being able to acess it when its no longer available will be invaluable also my ipod will keep me from going crazy needs juice
Besides needing to charge the garmin rino 530 which has frs and gmrs radio capabiltiy, I have an itouch with the good reader app which has all my ebooks/manuals in it which the lenmar/powerfilm set up will charge.

Now I know the time to learn to swim has passed once the ship has started sinking, and I have integrated as much info as possible into everyday knowledge,but having books on hand like "where there is no doctor" and "wild edible plant guide" etc are indispensable imo.

Yeah that and the keep me from going crazy thing too!
The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,250 Times in 545 Posts

You would be well advised to have a boh bag, or a bug out home bag and keep one in each of your vehicles at all times. Enough supplies to get you from work or wherever you are back home. Water, Food, Fire Source, Compass , Maps, Spare Socks, well worn boots, space and/or survival bivvie bag
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nadja For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadja View Post
You would be well advised to have a boh bag, or a bug out home bag and keep one in each of your vehicles at all times. Enough supplies to get you from work or wherever you are back home. Water, Food, Fire Source, Compass , Maps, Spare Socks, well worn boots, space and/or survival bivvie bag
I keep a different kind of bag in my trunk
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

I like the idea of some of those larger backpack sized chargers. They'd probably be a lot quicker and more efficient than my small solar charger "boxes". But it sure gets expensive always upgrading everything.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I like the idea of some of those larger backpack sized chargers. They'd probably be a lot quicker and more efficient than my small solar charger "boxes". But it sure gets expensive always upgrading everything.
i think the cobra is like 50 bucks the solar gorilla is like 180
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerJohn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,195 Posts

I thought there would be more interest in this subject. Rechargable AA batteries will be a must. Not many showing off their set ups with pictures and explainations. Guess candles and smoke signals will work too.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:09 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

It's something that is talked about in threads all over the place.

I have about a dozen small solar batter chargers that I bought wholesale back in the 90s and 1 small panel charger that not only has the ability to charge AAs and such, but also has a voltage tap and jacks to charge devices. None of these were very expensive. There are hundreds of different models out there now and they run $20-50 or so. They're making some really well thought out charging systems today.

I tried to standardize as much as possible on AA batteries, but I have some pull pin type alarms for the perimeter that use 9v, so being able to charge different sizes is handy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: