Jeez, I knew Chrome was bad, but not THIS bad - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 06-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 16,627 Times in 3,536 Posts

Advertise Here

This was posted today. It's one more reason why Google cannot be trusted.

Insider Blows Whistle & Exec Reveals Google Plan to Prevent "Trump situation" in 2020 on Hidden Cam

Google executives appear to feel that their mission is to prevent someone like Trump from ever getting elected.

There are some interesting searches done around 7 minutes into the video that show how bizarre and biased Google's algorithms are.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 11:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,379 Posts

I'm surprised that there is not a boom in small businesses aimed at helping people protect their privacy in the use of their personal, business and cellphone activity. I know that a lot of people would gladly pay for such services.

I would. I'm not tech savvy at all. I read threads like this and come away as confused as I was before. There are so many options in browsers, search engines, email services, VPN services, etc. If someone could set up and maintain how I use my phone, business and personal internet stuff to ensure privacy it would be great.
I have paid people to do some of that for my business in the past. The problem is that small, local outfits (which I feel are needed to personalize needs and maintain things) seem to disappear too quickly. Then when something goes wrong I'm sitting here without a clue on what to do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,808 Times in 6,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrneryOldBat View Post
I've been in IT for awhile and I have a realistic idea of what companies that track data know about me so Chrome was not a surprise. It boils down to if you don't pay for the product, you are the product.

I do a fair amount of business online so I tackled the privacy issue by dividing my online use into two buckets and never letting them cross. I still use gmail, google and amazon for what I consider my public persona. That includes credit cards or almost anything that I'd have to log in for.

Everything else goes through a private email provider (Hushmail), firefox, duckduckgo, etc. Security set to wipe cookies, trackers, etc. when a page closes. Tor for a few accounts like this one, otherwise nothing that requires a log in.

Most private of course is cash transaction, in person. Last year, we drove almost 100 miles to buy 600 lbs of various grains from a mill, in cash, false name on receipt.

It's not perfect, but it meets my needs. Facebag, amazon and google think I'm a lovable granny with cats and fiber-related hobbies. Which is partially true.
Sounds like a good plan.

I've used the same small monthly-fee email provider since the days of dial-up. (They were and still are a dialup ISP.) So many of my friends and family use gmail or Yahoo that I doubt that it's much protection. I'm slowly migrating to ProtonMail.

I'm blocking as many trackers as possible with Privacy Badger and NoScript, but there's so many sites (e.g. Amazon and Walmart) that I use regularly out of necessity that simply won't function unless you permit their trackers. (I'm mobility limited, and very rural, so I even buy a lot of my groceries online.) And it's just about impossible to avoid google-analytics, even though it doesn't set cookies. So it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,216 Times in 645 Posts

https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

That's based on chromium like Chrome is, just without all the google stuff.
I've been lazy to study further how easy it would be to switch everything over.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:31 PM

So, to summarize, if you are too lazy or stupid to understand and configure the software you are using then Firefox is for you. However, please understand there is a downside to this…you end up using software like Firefox.

-ws
Old 06-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Militant Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by windexsunday View Post
So, to summarize, if you are too lazy or stupid to understand and configure the software you are using then Firefox is for you. However, please understand there is a downside to this…you end up using software like Firefox.

-ws
The word is stubborn, azshole. We old guys get like that. We've recognized that this reckless, breathless, mindless change just a racket to keep people spending money. We've had enough. Windows XP works. Don't force us off it.

Don't mess with old men.
We didn't get old by being stupid
Our debts are all paid
We remember better times
We're grouchy from constant aches and pains
We're too tired to run
So we don't give a damn
We'll just shoot you down and have done with it.

.................................................. .......Anonymous

Heck, I was OK with it when all we had was the command line. Can YOU work with just the command line, bub?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 10:51 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 17,767 Times in 5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
That's the same article as the one I posted to start this thread, but mirrored on SiliconValley.com. I would never hand free clicks to the WaPpo
Ah, my bad man.. I've removed it...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,479 Times in 2,375 Posts

Quote:
The word is stubborn, azshole. We old guys get like that. We've recognized that this reckless, breathless, mindless change just a racket to keep people spending money. We've had enough. Windows XP works. Don't force us off it.

Don't mess with old men.
We didn't get old by being stupid
Our debts are all paid
We remember better times
We're grouchy from constant aches and pains
We're too tired to run
So we don't give a damn
We'll just shoot you down and have done with it.

.................................................. .......Anonymous

Heck, I was OK with it when all we had was the command line. Can YOU work with just the command line, bub?
I still have some old IBM punch cards I was an MS- DOS guy in the beginning, and I remember Windows 1 back in the mid 80's, we were like WOW.
300 baud modems, and war-dialing when the super speed 2400 baud came out..lol, good times, good times.
We've come a long way since those days, nothing impresses me much any more,
While I have a modern system, I also have a Win98 and WinXP system. The win98 runs on old hardware too, a mini e-pc. It's for my car pc..running music, gps, and a few other things, mostly custom databases, but obviously not connected to the internet.
I think there are a few of us old guys around yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Militant Normal

Punch cards! (Hollerith cards). I had a school chum who got a job in a plant where they made those things. Giant spools of card stock that first ran thru a slitter that he ran to cut them to width. Being a natural nihilist, he first discovered that the speed in the web was fast enough to light a match. Then he discovered he could make the matches light by simply dropping them on the speeding paper. The match sticks of course got wound up in the accumulator spools, and he got fired. I think that was about 1965 or '66.

'ja ever play with CP/M? I know I still have my old Kaypro, but heaven knows if it would still work, even if I knew where the 5" floppies were. It had a Z-80 chip. There was a CP/M-86, designed to run on the Intel 8086, and I believe it was the basis for DOS.

Lotus123, release 1. Those were the days. Did some good engineering calculations with 123.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 PM
Militant Normal

One of my current problems is that I never learned AutoCAD. I learned Anvil1K when IBMs still had 8088 processors and ran DOS. I still use it, but not all DOS emulators are compatible. My one foray into Linux foundered on that problem.

Anvil1K was intuitive for those of us who learned on a board with pencils and vellum. AutoCAD started as program designed solely as a plotter driver, with no GUI. You wrote commands in ASCII, like programming a machine tool. When they cobbled up a GUI for it, it was far from intuitive, and IMHO still is. Through most of my career I had a staff of AutoCAD mechanics at my beck and call, so I managed without ever having to learn it.

Nonetheless, I do have a legal copy of AutoCAD Lite installed. Printer/Plotters today no longer understand the simple HPGL output from Anvil, so I have to port my files to AutoCAD via .DXF, and go from there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Can't They haven't bothered to compile a version for XP. Not happy with Mozilla's politics, but I'll stick with my old Ver. 52.9.0. I just went through the exercise of recloned my main drive to two other matching Dells and two spare drives. One Dell and both spares are stored off-site, just in case. Even if they make it impossible to get a legacy version of an app off the Innertubes**, I'm covered.

** Which NoScript apparently has done. Bttttttt! I've got it anyway, Giorgio!
I am a long time XP Pro user. Four years at the public library, plus over two years now with my home PC. The browser options are limited. Quite a few work, but most of them work crappy. The ones I let remain on my PC are:
Comodo IceDragon
Mypal
Centaury
SRWare Iron
Slimjet
The SRWare and Slimjet are slightly better than Chrome privacy-wise, but not by much.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Read my post above. Brave doesn't run at all on XP-Pro, old version of Firefox or not. I tried.

My guess is that, since I'm running an old version of Firefox which they're not updating, their "fake news" feature may pass me by. In any event, as long as I keep my legacy O/S, the only option would be to kowtow to Microsoft and run Explorer. DO NOT tell me to switch to Linux! Already tried that, and the disaster took me a whole day to unwind.

Since I'm running Firefox 52.9.0, which they aren't supporting, I never get updates; no slowdowns.

How do you know that the "Opt Out" button actually does anything?
Try MX Linux. I'm using it in LiveCD mode (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD) to teach myself Linux, not that I will ever give up my XP Pro, but it's wise to be literate in two or more operating systems...just in case. Running as LiveCD will make no changes to your HDD, so nothing to fix, and zero risk. An hour a day I fool with it, explore its innards, apps, etc., take it online for surfing the net, and so on. I learn a little more everyday. No hurry. XP Pro will be around til M$ figures out how to send a kill signal to self-destruct it, and becomes desperate enough to risk the fallout.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,009 Posts

Why don't you check out eComStation. Built off of Warp 2.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM
An Awesome Dude

Thanked 3,709 Times in 1,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach
11,189 tracker cookies in one week. All of which would have been blocked by Firefox.
Yes Chrome is the worst... I wouldnt be surprised if everything one does was reported to who knows who!!! (Google,etc)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 16,627 Times in 3,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Yes, I think everyone calls it that.

But it has kept my machines safe as can be for at least 5 years now. And it apparently does automatic backups to the cloud. And I got 10 licenses for like 25 bucks for almost 2 years.

That extra room on the disk was just gathering dust anyways.
Norton has improved dramatically over the past 10 years. Both performance and reliability are much better. My wife is a virus magnet, but she has not picked up anything on her PCs for at least the last 8 years using Norton.

The real bloatware today is McAfee. Even the originator, John McAfee, does not recommend using it. He says it wasn't like that when he sold the company. If the guy who invented it will not use it, that's good enough for me.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,044 Posts

Use Adblock and Ghostery and you won't have problems with ads and trackers while using Chrome.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:09 PM
Militant Normal

I dropped Ghostery once I saw how many trackers Privacy Badger was picking up that Ghostery wasn't.

On this page alone, Adblock stopped 4 ads, Privacy Badger caught 19 trackers.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,053 Times in 541 Posts

I will have to try the Privacy Badger!

BTW, AdblockPlus took out nine ads for me on this page.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 PM
Low speed , High drag

Thanked 1,314 Times in 401 Posts

Anyone use the avg browser?
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,916 Times in 2,658 Posts

[TUX ALERT - Linux mentioned]
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...-you-install#0

Running Ubuntu directly from either a USB stick or a DVD is a quick and easy way to experience how Ubuntu works for you, and how it works with your hardware. Most importantly, it doesn't alter your computer's configuration in any way, and a simple restart without the USB stick or DVD is all that's needed to restore your machine to its previous state.

With a live Ubuntu, you can do almost anything you can from an installed Ubuntu:
  • Safely browse the internet without storing any history or cookie data
  • Access files and edit files stored on your computer or USB stick
  • Create new office suite documents and save them remotely
  • Fix broken configurations to get a computer running again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post: