homeless people,I dont owe them anything - Page 4 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 11,645 Times in 2,743 Posts

Advertise Here

I know some "homeless" people who just wanted to get off the hamster wheel. Why can't we just let people like that live? Tell the fedcoats to let go of some of those millions of acres and let the people who just want to be free, be free.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
I know some "homeless" people who just wanted to get off the hamster wheel. Why can't we just let people like that live? Tell the fedcoats to let go of some of those millions of acres and let the people who just want to be free, be free.
When you work with homeless people you get "knee jerk" responses. The answer they think you want to hear.

Such as, I want a job no one will hire me.
my response, where did you look yesterday
their response "huh"

Or, I can't look for a job in the morning as I have to get well (find drugs and shoot up).
or
I would like to but I need to be at the clinic for my dose.

These people have been given everything and squandered it. don't give them anything more.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,880 Times in 8,382 Posts

I have even less tolerance because my husband has every excuse not to work but does, anyway. He can barely use one arm but he uses the hell out of it to stock his vending machines from his wheelchair.

Then I see a totally able bodied person standing by the side of the road for 10 hours, using both arms and legs, can see, hear, etc... and people feel SORRY for them.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 45,529 Times in 13,327 Posts

so hard to know who's real and who's faking it

who's really down on their luck and who's a wino

i've heard there are charities who vet their recipients to make sure they're not on drugs, i'd prefer to donate to them than directly. i've given lots of money to panhandlers over the years and looking back i don't doubt fully half of it went to booze, if not more
Old 12-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,018 Times in 3,897 Posts

I think the toughest one to see is single moms with kids living out of a vehicle. It's not the kids fault. Grifters and panhandlers are one think, but that's not all that's out there...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 47,791 Times in 9,990 Posts

The city an hour from where I live, has an estimated 500-600 or so homeless people. At any given time, with city studies and sheriffís department estimates based on what these homeless are telling them, at least 75% claim veteran status. The vast majority are lying. Based on what Iíve heard this year from the city, less than 20 actual vets are living homeless in the city.

This idea that the US has a major homeless veteran population is overblown drastically, and even so, having served in the military does not mean I owe someone a life that theyíre not able to maintain due to substance abuse (a high percentage of homeless are substance abusers).

Also, being a veteran does not mean the person is going to be able to function in society. Some canít, no matter what assistance they receive. Some donít want to. Many donít want to.

Spare me the idea that a lot of homeless vets canít remember their unit or when they served or where they served or whatever. Everyone knows their damn name, and if youíre going to write ďhomeless vetĒ on a piece of cardboard, then you need to be able to tell me something about it. Anything at all. If a person canít prove in some way that theyíre a veteran, then Iím not responsible to take their word for it, homeless or not.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Live Free or Die

Thanked 11,645 Times in 2,743 Posts

I left the navy 30 years ago and can tell you everything about where I served, what I did, and many of the people I served with. That is how Sarco and I found out we were on the same ship at the same time and knew many of the same people but never met.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 47,791 Times in 9,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
so hard to know who's real and who's faking it

who's really down on their luck and who's a wino

i've heard there are charities who vet their recipients to make sure they're not on drugs, i'd prefer to donate to them than directly. i've given lots of money to panhandlers over the years and looking back i don't doubt fully half of it went to booze, if not more
It ainít that hard to tell.

People who are down on their luck are not often begging on the street. It happens, but not a lot.

Sheriff a county over from me has a campaign going for a few years now to get people to stop giving money to homeless people. Theyíve researched and watched and tracked and done what they can to learn whatís going on with the homeless in the area and have found very few vets, and have found that money given to the homeless goes straight into the local drug trade.

Donate your time to soup kitchens and and homeless shelters. Food drives. Local churches providing counseling and shelter for abused women. Childrenís clothing outlets. Etc. Stop giving cash to the bum on the sidewalk. He most likely goes two blocks down the street that night and buys heroin with your cash.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Survivor

If you read the veteran thread it is easy to see why everyone claims to be a vet, it's an automatic halo to cover the drug/alcohol addition and untreated mental illness.

In my own experience the vets I have known have not been a positive experience. Claiming veteran status is not a way to win my affection but it works for the majority of the population.

I have met well over 100 homeless people and I have never once met a "homeless woman and her kids living out of a car" there are a MILLION programs in Houston for a woman like that and they would all fight for her to choose them because her story would be worth thousands in funding. Spend a few thousand on a job training program, some daycare, clothes, and an extended stay hotel and they would probably get $75K in funding and donations.

My local agency has a DV program and while they can't share stories they make a killing in donations and sponsorship. They are so stocked they will ask for things like "African American haircare and body products" vs. just "shampoo".

I mean, you're really in hardship you'll take anything, right? As long as you are clean and don't stink?

But apparently they get donations of specialty products. All they have to do is ask and they get a $5 bottle of shampoo vs one that cost eighty cents.

One thing I find comical are these women who make up these "blessing bags" with deodorant, soap, shampoo, clean socks, etc. And then they put money in there too. The recipient doesn't give a flying **** about the hygenic items, which they can get at any homeless shelter. They only care about the snacks and money. It would be far more honest, and cheaper, to buy a 48 count case of Snickers at Sam's club and just hand them out to every homeless person.

Then of course the woman has to take photos of every bum getting a bag and talk about how "grateful" he was (yeah, he saw that $5 in the ziplock). If you really want to do charity you shouldn't be bragging about it and taking pictures.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:31 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 18,001 Times in 5,496 Posts

Good grief.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,579 Times in 7,396 Posts

Quote:
Just get off the hamster wheel?

Seriously? With NO plan, no money, no where to go...just NOT go to work anymore, no more paying bills, no more doing anything useful to society?

And then they expect to benefit from those that are still on the treadmill?

Most of those people wouldn't last three months on those millions of acres. That's why they all end up in cites with lots of garbage bins and liberal idiots willing to put up with them.

I read about a couple from Colorado that decided to buy a boat in Louisiana and head out into the world.

They didn't make it 5 miles before they sunk their boat. Lost everything. Had to be rescued.

So now what? We take care of them forever? Let them try again in the forest?

You want to be free, great. But I get to be free of dealing with you, so if it goes bad...and it probably will...you are on your own.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Not to mention the medical bills for bad living, malnutrition, alcohol and drug abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, lack of hygiene, etc.

Your average citizen at least attempts to take care of themselves... if someone is not it is not fair to the rest to pay for it.

And, like my mother, if offered a safe place to stay (with rules) will often reject in in favor of "free living". Which at the end of it cost my mother her life (she was living out of her car with uncontrolled, unmedicated bipolar and a severe alcohol addiction).
Old 12-04-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
They tried this in my county back in the 1930s. Took all them city homeless and dumped them on free farmland. They now call it " starvation valley"
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 PM

I know that I’m not very P.C. But the people in California can’t even leave there back doors unlocked. Their Children can’t play in parks, use a public toilet. You have to be afraid to walk your dog in the evenings. The laws don’t apply to them.

I have called the police when I saw one man menacing a woman with a baby in a stroller when I was going in to Town an on my way back home I saw the same guy on the hood of a car while it was driving on the highway! I called the police again and they told me he wasn’t hurting anyone... what???
Guys like that are a baby version of Domestic Terrorists as far as I’m concerned and the Police do nothing.
They need to put the crazies back in Mental Institutions and let us have our lives back. This crap didn’t happen in the 50’s or 60’s. What is different??????
The Following User Says Thank You to Freja For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Survivor

99% of people out there with mental illness will be cured if they take the medication faithfully every day. The pharma companies have made some generics very affordable.

I take two mood stabilizers
An anti psychotic
Antidepressant

Every day and it only costs me $20 a month. I spend way more than that on cat food.

I am well managed on my condition as evidenced by the fact I have been posting for several years with only 2 infractions and no bans. I have not killed my abusive husband. I am a productive citizen.

Because I take my pills. If you can get people to take their pills they will be fine.

I have said for years, if someone is getting disability for bipolar they need to be tested every few months for medication levels (it is possible) and if they are not optimal they lose their benefits for 6 months. That would include housing. Test them for drugs and alcohol, same deal.

I guarantee the people remaining on the rolls will deserve it. But I know several bipolars who use drugs and alcohol, do not take their medication, have dramas, and it is all on the taxpayer dime.

One woman for instance was using illegal drugs for weeks and baking several cakes, etc. every night while posting all these weepy odes to her father who had been dead for 30 years. Clearly rapid cycling and/or mixed. Posting half naked photos on FB of her reclining in bed "Who wants to come over?"

WTF? It is embarrassing to share an illness with someone like that. And she should not be getting benefits.

Maybe making benefits contingent on staying clean and using medication as directed would make people become more responsible and better citizens.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,016 Posts

A friend of mine owns a small scrap yard. There's not much heavy equipment. Almost everything is done by hand. There is ALWAYS work that needs done.
One day he ran across a homeless man with a sign saying "will work for food." He offered to take the man to his home, feed him lunch and dinner, and pay him a respectable sum for a bit of work that day. The bum refused and said something like, "man, can't you just give me some cash?" So, no, I don't have any sympathy for homeless people. If you can stand on a corner all day and hold up a sign, you can work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 51,592 Times in 11,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Just get off the hamster wheel?

Seriously? With NO plan, no money, no where to go...just NOT go to work anymore, no more paying bills, no more doing anything useful to society?
There was a book and a movie about that. It didn't end well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 51,592 Times in 11,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freja View Post
They need to put the crazies back in Mental Institutions and let us have our lives back. This crap didnít happen in the 50ís or 60ís. What is different??????

The left hadn't ruined things yet back in the 50's and 60's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:43 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 18,001 Times in 5,496 Posts

TBH, I really don't care how the homeless negatively affects city dwellers trying to live a metropolitan lifestyle or triggered rural retirees who wish things were like how they remembered the 50's on their TV. Everyone has a multi-million dollar solution but WHO is going to pay for it?

Every City has had their own Skid Row and ghetto for thousands of years. We had bums living in the woods next to our South Carolina suburb back in the 80's. Cities like NYC had more areas that looked like war zones in the 90's than today. But NOW it is a national emergency?

Not buying it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,053 Times in 2,026 Posts

In 1967 Reagan signed the Lanterman Petris act.

The govt didn't want to pay to house the mentally ill. Mental institutions were a big problem for politicians.

Gov Reagan, later on, President Reagan is the one started the ball rolling.

At the moment, America has a drug epidemic combined with mental illness.
The Mexican drug cartels bring in a large part of what is being circulated on the streets. The drugs coming across the southern border is very real and not just some headline.

Either get serious about cutting off the drug supply, or make everything legal, the former will never happen.

Mental institutions need to be refurbished and used.

If a mentally ill person is left in society, they inevitably will commit a crime that lands them in prison, if they are not separated, they will be killed.

A mentally ill person doesn't care about laws. They don't even understand an ass beating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MOA1 For This Useful Post: