I dont owe veterans anything. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,716 Times in 6,741 Posts
Default I dont owe veterans anything.

Advertise Here

In another thread one of our forum friends made the statement "Imagine the outrage if I said I didn't owe veterans anything!" So I decided to put it to the test.

I am here to say I dont owe veterans anything. IMO veterans made the choice to join (not counting the draft) and need to own all that comes with that choice (good and bad). Although I dont believe anyone owes the vets, or anyone else, anything I do choose to give them my respect and admiration. It's a tough job not everyone could do.

So let the test begin and flame on with your outrage. If, of course, you are outraged at my statement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,676 Times in 3,853 Posts

The level of idiocy in this OP is epic.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Will hunt for food!

Thanked 1,031 Times in 350 Posts

I agree nobody owes me anything other than what I and another party entered I to contract with. I served because I wanted to and it was what I felt was the right thing to do. I appreciate it when someone thanks me and truly means it. Unfortunately many people just mouth the words. I would rather those people just not say anything. I did for it me and my family and I know they appreciated it and that is all that matters.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Awesome

Thanked 23,915 Times in 7,892 Posts

if they didn't volunteer to join, then a draft would have been necessary, so you, a sibling, your child, etc may have been drafted against their will, and killed
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:10 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,994 Times in 5,493 Posts

Prior Navy here, married to Navy (still active). The military has been good to us and we knew the hardships associated with it before going in. Today, the financial compensation and resources are better than ever and you can live quite comfortably even as a junior enlisted person if you have your head on straight.

You don't owe us nothing, but thank you for financing it.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,567 Times in 7,395 Posts

Glad you set this up OP.

I'm with Rockin90, I joined for my reasons, got what the contract said, and while I appreciate the "thanks", I don't need it, and no one owes me anything.

I DO think we owe "vets" as a group, some respect, and some appreciation. We owe those that were badly hurt some help, but again...that's in the contract.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:18 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 51,560 Times in 11,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
if they didn't volunteer to join, then a draft would have been necessary, so you, a sibling, your child, etc may have been drafted against their will, and killed
Wondering how well a draft would go over so that our peoples' blood could be spilled defending some crap hole in the middle east?

Ever hear of the Vietnam War?

As far as volunteering to defend or die for some crap hole in the middle east, I don't get it.

===

That being said, we DO need a military, and the best one we can get so all those veterans who volunteered and were drafted deserve respect and the rest of the country's debt of gratitude.

===

Now if the military was to defend the southern border, I'D volunteer and I'm almost 4 times the draft age.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 26,051 Times in 9,368 Posts

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since you are reading this in english, thank a soldier.

I find it remarkable that 'we' give billions of dollars every year in foreign aide to people that hate US and want us dead, but only a pittance for the people that served to keep us free.

The Military Industrial Complex along with the BANKSTER's are the problem. They sell guns/weapons to all sides so they make money no matter what. A few dirty tricks here and there, along with the lame stream media and there are wars to make sure that more guns and weapons are always needed.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,598 Posts

Military, Police and Fire someone has to do it and I appreciate that they do so. Thanks!
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 17,994 Times in 5,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Wondering how well a draft would go over so that our peoples' blood could be spilled defending some crap hole in the middle east?

Ever hear of the Vietnam War?

As far as volunteering to defend or die for some crap hole in the middle east, I don't get it.
Since the Bretton Woods Agreement the power of the USD relies on our ability to militarily project our influence in a Global economy. The "Nixon Shock" has brought the focus to the ME. Our entire way of life has depended on that scheme for more than 70 years.

I think more people would be willing to volunteer under that truth than the humanitarian angle. Kids today are too informed to fall for it anymore.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 32,676 Times in 7,903 Posts

No one owes me squat for my service but the government (both fed and state) as per the contract I had with them. That applies to both my military service and my police career.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,337 Times in 5,785 Posts

Personally I think that every citizen should be required some form of service for a specified length of time.
I did alternate service for the draft, fighting fires and forestry managment for CDF.
It was a good experience and honest work , sometime a bit dangerous but for the most part created a level of accomplishment for the good of others.
We got $100. a month + room and board ,uniform boots and training. but no recognition for the service rendered.
WE who served this way could have as easily run off to another country to evade the draft but for the most part felt that this was the better way to serve the country, rather that taking the lives of others. Surprisingly there were only a hand full of those with religious conviction in the camp I served, so being religious had little/nothing to do with it.
None of us expect any recognition for our service,
And as for my dad, he was doing hand springs and cart wheels glad I didn't go in the service as he did.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,935 Posts

Dont care and dont care about your or you family.

I typically only fit in with other veterans so we dont need your fake sympathy.

Anyways go about your day
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,461 Times in 5,842 Posts

My Uncles were drafted and more than a couple of my cousins served as an alternative to their troubles with the law around 18. Their kids decided serving time in jail was easier. If you want to shake their hand to thank them for their service, make sure the other hand is covering your wallet. The white trash doesn't blow far from the trailer park. They definitely climbed out of the shallow end of the gene pool.

The other side of the family must have helped my siblings and me out of the trash cycle. I didn't serve because Regan crushed communism and the highlights of the era were invading Grenada and the Berlin wall falling. The end of the cold war was sort of a relief. Even the Gulf War I came and went quickly. Everything was about drawing down the military in that time frame.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,331 Times in 2,463 Posts

Just remember freedom aint free, someone had to carry the water for the rest of the team.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,497 Posts

I do! Thank you and utmost admiration to our vets!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stroo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,499 Times in 1,903 Posts

Consider this, if no one served where would we be? People by the 10s of thousands showed up to join on 12/7/41. Same on 9/11/01. I'm very thankful to all of them. I know vets who served overseas and they gave more than anyone should.

My Dad served 5 years in the Navy. Had an uncle that served in the Navy in WW2 and was on D-Day. Another uncle who flew P-40's in China and was killed. My great grandfather served in the Spanish-American War and had ancestors who served and died in the Civil War, all Union. Me, I didn't serve, I spent my youthful exuberance fighting fire in a large metro fire department.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,558 Times in 600 Posts

Mods: Please move this to the 'Dark Side' so I can tell this person what I really think.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,317 Times in 3,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
In another thread one of our forum friends made the statement "Imagine the outrage if I said I didn't owe veterans anything!" So I decided to put it to the test.

I am here to say I dont owe veterans anything. IMO veterans made the choice to join (not counting the draft) and need to own all that comes with that choice (good and bad). Although I dont believe anyone owes the vets, or anyone else, anything I do choose to give them my respect and admiration. It's a tough job not everyone could do.

So let the test begin and flame on with your outrage. If, of course, you are outraged at my statement.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
We're sacred and we're all heroes dontcha know!

I joined for purely selfish reasons,to get out of Newnan Ga. for good.

Thank the people who gave their lives,not me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Good beer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,600 Times in 929 Posts

Figures.......
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post: