Airforce vs Army vs Marines Gear? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preppers: Spring Is For Fishing Gear AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-09-2018 10:30 AM
Proven Gear v. Old Gear: Thoughts On Three Proven Gear Technologies AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 04-08-2018 07:41 PM
Springfield Armory Announces Their Latest Gear Up Pacakage: Gear Up: Concealed Carry AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 04-02-2018 07:30 PM
7.62x51 Battle Rifle...and GO! Unobtanium Military Weapons Forum 790 06-26-2017 12:51 AM
military type gear: questions & answers dm1911 Military Weapons Forum 78 01-12-2017 03:50 PM

Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
I am not the topic.

Advertise Here

Oh thought I'd add if you join they give you the kit at discount or something

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...npower-crisis/

Just need to go in do the job and you come out without needing to worry about what to buy.

I mean it is sweet kit.

(well you never truly leave but it is like having a personal shopper)
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post
First off a couple questions need to be answered.

1. How much do you want to carry?

2. How do you intend to move your kit?

3. How much do you want to spend?

WHAT?

as them or on them?

lol

Ok let me get this straight you live within 15 miles of the coast and you don't intend to be near the ocean??

Ok dude. I am hoping you are a teen or uneducated as you sound a bit retarded.

Personally I have always gone army but I am so jealous of the marine kit, I only have a tshirt death before dishonour.

The big thing is cost. Marine force recon kit is uber expensive compared to grunt kit.

Its really that simple. Go marine if you are some privileged rich kid otherwise go army.

The other part is airforce, the airforce survival kit is amazing. It is light it is I dare say ranger worthy, the problem is you might need to be smart to survive using it. Research the airforce survival kit. The big stuff on that is that it is light.

Other than that go army for your kit, the ECWS stuff is cheap relatively and no longer US national guard so it isn't official USGI anymore to my knowledge so not confusing to wear as even the national guard doesn't wear it, if you want local camo just custom paint it, mineral based paints suggested.

Overall I'd look into the design of some Russian carriage systems.

Overall I would suggest you go army unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

I didn't really like APECs stuff to much, but I love absolutely love the ECWCS.
By army being better supplied than marines, I meant usually army is closer to the base than marines, so they have to carry less as they are more likely to be resupplied sooner. Marines tend to be on their own more than Army in a sense. Air force almost always has access to base resupply, so they likely carry less on them than army or marines. not the best in a survival situation. 15 miles from the ocean is quite a distance on foot. My Bug out plan is to move farther inland, away from the ocean, so there will be no need to worry about corrosion caused by the ocean or getting gear for amphibious situations where I will likely be constantly soaked (I was trying to point out that Army may be a better fit than Marines for this very reason), and I will not have access to useful resources of the ocean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rawhide76 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide76 View Post
By army being better supplied than marines, I meant usually army is closer to the base than marines, so they have to carry less as they are more likely to be resupplied sooner. Marines tend to be on their own more than Army in a sense.
The Army is better supplied than the Marines because the Army is funded better. There is a reason almost all Army soldiers get their own night vision gear and virtually no Marine does and it has nothing to do with how close they are to a base of operations. The Marines aren't some expeditionary long range patrol force as a whole, both branches have those units but its a function of that unit and not the service as a whole.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodPrepper For This Useful Post:

Old 04-16-2019, 08:06 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 25,395 Times in 8,341 Posts

Within both Army and Marine units there are groups who are well supplied and other groups that are always having to make-do or steal enough to survive from day-to-day. Supply situations have almost nothing to do with being close to any base because supplies can be airlifted to troops by airplanes and helicopters any more. Special Forces has resupply missions planned for deep inside hostile areas over long periods of time and many, many miles from their nearest friendly base of operation.

The difference between Army and Marine Corp gear is getting narrowed down as time passes because both groups now have input into development of new gear. They both tweak the gear as it is being developed. When it comes to field uniforms, the Marines like to put their emblem in the pattern of their clothing. The Army doesn't do that. When you get a set of some camouflaged clothing you might find the eagle, globe and anchor printed on the clothing if you carefully look for it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C&&FORM=VRDGAR
The Following User Says Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
I am not the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide76 View Post
By army being better supplied than marines, I meant usually army is closer to the base than marines, so they have to carry less as they are more likely to be resupplied sooner.
Thanks for clarifying a bit.
That is heavily dependent. Marines establish their own bases much like the army does. The big difference is that marines - as well as some Army units are better suited to beachhead operations. Marines are commonly used as FILO type units, they go in establish landing points. Army will go in via land routes or airborne routes. Airborne is more of a pseudo special operations thing but still large unit operations at the company or battalion level.
Army is heavily dependent upon vehicles for mobility. While the marines do have lots of landing vehicle types they are not as mechanized as the army.
Marines tend to be viewed as slightly better than regular army units. They also tend to carry a bit more.

I wouldn't consider resupply much what I would be looking at is what you are carrying, and how much you can carry. Again basing your intended bug out on what you carry is a sure point of trouble. If you are going to plan you will know where you are going then you will stock supply points on that line, even if it means hiking that area planting food crops annuals, seasonals etc..
as well as having your bug out location stocked.

Quote:
15 miles from the ocean is quite a distance on foot
Not really. Its an easy days walk.

Quote:
My Bug out plan is to move farther inland, away from the ocean, so there will be no need to worry about corrosion caused by the ocean or getting gear for amphibious situations where I will likely be constantly soaked (I was trying to point out that Army may be a better fit than Marines for this very reason), and I will not have access to useful resources of the ocean.
Nah, its just cost the marine kit is better. Again though, I would aim for special operations or occupational specific kit out. You want recon/SOF etc..
when you get up there you will notice there is a lot more customization.

The kit is solid for both the army and marines just make sure you get the good versions of it.

Marine recon load out is one of the nicest I've seen.

I can imagine some custom fittings by the Ranger SOF (army SOF) is also nifty. They kit out with commercial and custom gear at SOF levels though.

What you will realize I am sure is that the surplus stuff is great, but it comes down to cost at higher levels.. the better kit will be custom. With some craft though you can likely engineer this stuff through modification except where it is material science related. Kit at higher levels tend to be closer to mountaineering kit, very light very mobile.
Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM
Flamet Nos Bieniez

Thanked 8,996 Times in 3,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
First read the "Soldiers Load and the Mobility of a Nation" Then we can have a serious conversation about gear. JMHO and S/FI!

Thanks for this tip. I haven't seen this book before so I just ordered a copy.
Old Today, 07:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,873 Times in 4,453 Posts

Why worry about it unless you are enlisted? Since I'm not, I'm free to pick and choose. I'm sure each branch selects what they think is best for their mission. And sometimes it's not. For various reasons. In fact as a civilian I'm even at liberty to mix in equipment from foreign militaries.
Old Today, 08:46 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,100 Times in 1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
The difference between Army and Marine Corp gear is getting narrowed down as time passes because both groups now have input into development of new gear.
And also because the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan don't have beachheads, but the Marines kick ass inland, too. So in terms of actual combat operations and the resulting gear innovations, littoral environments haven't provided the number of real-world reps for either service that urban and mountainous environments have. Or even densely vegetated areas approaching jungle-like ops in Iraq's date orchards and some areas around Jalalabad, AFG.
Old Today, 09:02 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,100 Times in 1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin View Post
Why worry about it unless you are enlisted? Since I'm not, I'm free to pick and choose. I'm sure each branch selects what they think is best for their mission. And sometimes it's not. For various reasons. In fact as a civilian I'm even at liberty to mix in equipment from foreign militaries.
As a shortcut to speed up the learning process, it's not a bad approach. People know thought has been put into creating a system that works together, and there's a minimum standard for durability. So rather than figuring out how to put together a kit from scratch, you take someone else's plan and backwards-engineer the logic...then you know what to tweak for your own kit. By looking at each piece of gear and figuring out why it was chosen, it highlights decision criteria that a newbie may not know even existed.

But I'm sure lot of people just think it looks cool. For example, these handsets plug into Baofeng radios. There are other ways to achieve the same capability, but these look military so they sell. They even make them for Yaesu HTs. They help with noise discipline over a regular HT or shoulder mic, but you could get that with the earpiece that ships with the radio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 7.58.35 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	286082