Survivalist Forum banner
29K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Jericho 
#1 ·
Ok, I've recently purchased a Alice pistol belt which I carry two one quart arctic canteens and a Alice buttpack on. I use this for light days when I don't need my Alice pack, such as today for my college prep class where I only require two notebooks and other necessitys for throughout the day. I am in need of suspenders as the belt sags in the back from the weight of the buttpack and the canteens (when filled). I see there are two styles of Alice suspenders and the Y type seem to be more expensive and more popular as I havent seen any video reviews where the individual giving a run down is wearing a H type. I would like to know the strengths and weaknesses of each, or what you like about the particular type you have and what you don't like so I can make my decision. Any opinions and info is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
The H, is far more comfortable for me, and is easier to adjust then the Y. The Y will sometimes loosen and the whole harness will slide up against your neck and be a PITA. It also has a buckle, not a large one which is there for life, right against your spine. The H has 2 buckles on the vertical straps, cut the things off with a bolt cutter and use 550 cord to attach it to the back of the belt, same way with the front so the metal doesnt rub when you are loaded heavy and carrying a pack.

The Y buckles on the back and front also have to go if you decide that route. They suck, they dig into you and make noise. Bolt cutter them off and 550 cord the same way as the H harness set up.

Besides that, they both work, the Y is cheaper for uncle to buy so that why it was changed from the H. Other than that, use what you find best for you.

#3 ·
I may have to get Y type as all 4 stores I know don't have any H style that are surplus, only two have copies for a lot more than a surplus Y type at one store that is going for 12$ and its in great condition. I may just buy this now, and grab an H type later on if they come around, and see how the two stack up. Thanks.

#5 ·
I see them on the web. But I'm sure my dads not ordering anything else at this time as I just received a pair of wellco boots. I'd actually like to get both pairs. Once I get an H type, I can have a spare of the inferior type incase I may need it. Or one type may be better suited for specific load or task, I can switch out.

#11 ·
Most of the H harness that I/ve seen are the older canvas ( padded shoulder) ones, the Y are available in either canvas or nylon.
Could you tell me where you got a canvas Y set?
M1956 was canvas, after those were nylon.
M1967 nylon H style has been brought out again, Uncle Sam had them stored back in 1969.
Guy on zombie site said he saw 1000s at surplus store for $12 each.

#9 ·
blackhawk makes 2 types of H harness. i own and have used both. the first type looks more like the GI type with narrow padding on the shoulder straps and a sternum strap for some reason. i snipped it off. the second type has wide shoulder pads, and no sternum strap. both have the drag handle and attach using snaps and velcro, not the metal clips. the wider version seems more comfortable

#14 ·
The H and Y are equally good. The H system balances everything out no matter how you have it on your belt. The Y if the belt is front heavy you will get chaffing and uncomfortable rubbing on the back of your neck. To fix this issue with the Y put more weight on the back of the belt I.E; butt bag, more ammo etc... and walla no more rubbing.

#15 ·
Well I got the Y type. It does seem a bit front heavy but I keep everything in the rear anyways. Walking in the city you cant be having things out to the side widening yourself, people push you here in NYC (I stand out so bad). I wonder what people think when they see me, 15year old male dressed in 95% Olive Drab green military outerwear and gear. All im carrying are two canteens (never one fuller than the other), and the buttpack in the center rear so its balanced already. I'm still keepign an eye out for H type suspenders though.

#18 ·
I have looked at getting some alice equipment but Im a big guy and IDK how it will fit me. does any of you big guys use alice and do you have any problems. and big I mean 6'0 ft + 300+ pounds with wide shoulders. I have been looking at a belt, H-harness, and but pack.

#19 ·
I use an M56 H. The reason is that I also run with the M14 dual 20rd mag pouches, and the supports for those are built into the H harness.

One of the things I like about it is that the attachment points to the belt are selectable. I've moved them outward or inward for various reasons, and have been happy with the overall fit and function.

Some old school gear just seems to work for me....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.