Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Gas Mask To Buy IceAge55 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 135 02-05-2018 07:16 PM
om-10 gas mask? mohawkpunkid Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 30 12-16-2017 06:48 PM
M40 gas mask or FM12 gas mask MissKraig Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 7 05-20-2015 10:53 AM
MSA MCU-2/P gas mask? TheGuyThatIsPrepared Looking for - want to buy 15 02-11-2014 02:29 PM
Gas Mask that fits in US Gas Mask Bag from ALICE era ('73-'90s) Steam_Power_Prepper Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 4 02-03-2014 04:59 PM
Gas mask kestak Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 5 01-22-2013 08:18 PM
NBC Gas Mask Filter C2A1 for M40 Gas Mask retroscavenger Site Information & Suggestion Box 1 09-06-2012 09:31 PM
Gas Mask angrytaylor Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 33 07-26-2012 02:36 PM

Old 01-28-2018, 01:27 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,827 Times in 1,526 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Dog masks were used in WWI and still in WWII, so I *assume* they work. I have also seen pix of police dogs with masks on in staging areas for riot situations when CS/pepper spray drifted that way.

I have military surplus masks for each of my dogs, they've been fitted and tested (only current cartridges, no old ones), and they all wear them with no problems (training required). The most difficult thing was teaching them the other dogs in the house wearing masks were OK. However, people first, and then dogs. When given the command, they all run to a specific room of the house that is most easily/quickly sealed and sit in front of his/her hook/shelf that has his/her leashes, collars, bowls, etc. and his/her mask. If there is time, we all make it. If not, the last one(s) to get masked might not

There were no real problems adjusting to fit adult GSD, but I had to modify the masks for the Siberian Huskies. Be aware that dogs cool by panting and drinking, so their time in a mask, especially in hot weather or if having to move, will be limited.

The cats are also trained to run to their enclosure in the same room. It's set up like the baby/child enclosures the Israelis used during Desert Storm.

Frankly, my biggest NBC concern, like Robert_W, is a transportation accident releasing hazmat Secondarily, is riot control agents drifting in case of a riot. Riot control agents won't kill us, but having a mask/enclosure sure makes it a lot more comfortable Depending on the agent, masks also mean I can take the dogs outside to pee/poo, or they can wear them for vehicle evacuation (cat enclosure has to be put in the vehicle). If evacuating from a forest/grass fire, masks and the enclosure also reduce the amount of **** breathed in.

LadandRJ--I understand your concern for your dog... it's the same as preventing exposure to the crop duster pilots (many of whom die from cancer/other diseases caused by pesticide/herbicide exposure). Don't forget yourself, too. BTW, are there any non/less toxic alternatives to what you're spraying?
How did you do the testing to make sure there were no leaks?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 06:25 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,423 Posts

PM sent.....
Old 01-29-2018, 01:21 AM
Practical Prepper

Many years ago I watched a documentary where a man made a dog carrier with an air filter that would fit a gas mask filter but I cannot remember anything about it to find it online. I believe westwood is correct, that there could be no true seal in a face mask due to the dogs hair/fur. In order to be sure the seal is good, the dog would have to be sealed in box or bag and that box or bag would have to have a gas mask filter built in or an equivalent kind of filter. Im sure it can be done, just takes some work and a suitable filter.

PS) Putting a mask to the face of a dog (like firemen do with pets) is not good enough for a gas situation. When administering oxygen all you need to do is force enough oxygen to the dogs snout so a tight seal is not needed. But when keeping gas (chemicals) out, there needs to be a tight seal.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:51 AM

Hey everybody! Thanks so much for all your thoughts. I just want my dog to wear the mask while I'm weed spraying as he pulls the cart with the sprayer in it. For his lung protection, ya know? I found a human mask that sorta works and I'm working on modifying it but I'm not as savvy at this. Yeah, the fur is a problem. I am stubborn, tho, so if I come up with a simple to use solution ill definitely share!
Old 02-05-2018, 04:02 AM

I'm not sure a mask would be the best option, a purified small enclosure is normally the done thing for smaller animals.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,827 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadandRJ View Post
Hey everybody! Thanks so much for all your thoughts. I just want my dog to wear the mask while I'm weed spraying as he pulls the cart with the sprayer in it. For his lung protection, ya know? I found a human mask that sorta works and I'm working on modifying it but I'm not as savvy at this. Yeah, the fur is a problem. I am stubborn, tho, so if I come up with a simple to use solution ill definitely share!
I think that's a bit overkill for weed killer. But, if you're stubborn and spraying weeds is all it's for... you only need P100 protection for aerosols, meaning you can probably get by with a something on the order of a dust/surgical mask. However, keeping the dog upwind and/or spraying only when the wind is calm will do far more for keeping you and your dog safe than a mask will.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:11 AM

Interesting thought WImountainman. I did see a couple human masks for chemical spray in the hardware store and thought one of them had a wide enough mask to be able to modify for my dog. It would also reduce the possibility of overheating mentioned by another poster. (Sorry I can't remember which poster and I can't go back to get it on my kindle but I do thank you for that excellent point).
Again, many thanks to all of you. You're input has been invaluable to me!!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Hiker

Old fart nailed it when he mentioned training.

Out of my last pair one had no issues with me sticking stuff on her face - Her sister nearly crapped her fur pants when I tried the same thing on her.

It would have took a long time to 'train' that little sister to tolerate everything 'comfortably' the same way her big sister did nearly instantly.

You can't and won't know until you try just how hard it may or may not be and how much work might be involved.

Same dog wearing her frag vest:

Other dog freaked out and refused to play that game...
Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Dog masks were used in WWI and still in WWII, so I *assume* they work. I have also seen pix of police dogs with masks on in staging areas for riot situations when CS/pepper spray drifted that way.

I have military surplus masks for each of my dogs, they've been fitted and tested (only current cartridges, no old ones), and they all wear them with no problems (training required). The most difficult thing was teaching them the other dogs in the house wearing masks were OK. However, people first, and then dogs. When given the command, they all run to a specific room of the house that is most easily/quickly sealed and sit in front of his/her hook/shelf that has his/her leashes, collars, bowls, etc. and his/her mask. If there is time, we all make it. If not, the last one(s) to get masked might not [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

There were no real problems adjusting to fit adult GSD, but I had to modify the masks for the Siberian Huskies. Be aware that dogs cool by panting and drinking, so their time in a mask, especially in hot weather or if having to move, will be limited.

The cats are also trained to run to their enclosure in the same room. It's set up like the baby/child enclosures the Israelis used during Desert Storm.

Frankly, my biggest NBC concern, like Robert_W, is a transportation accident releasing hazmat [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] Secondarily, is riot control agents drifting in case of a riot. Riot control agents won't kill us, but having a mask/enclosure sure makes it a lot more comfortable [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Depending on the agent, masks also mean I can take the dogs outside to pee/poo, or they can wear them for vehicle evacuation (cat enclosure has to be put in the vehicle). If evacuating from a forest/grass fire, masks and the enclosure also reduce the amount of **** breathed in.

LadandRJ--I understand your concern for your dog... it's the same as preventing exposure to the crop duster pilots (many of whom die from cancer/other diseases caused by pesticide/herbicide exposure). Don't forget yourself, too. BTW, are there any non/less toxic alternatives to what you're spraying?
I have a siberian husky also. I'm a new prepper and have no skills to make my own. Would you be able to make or modify a dog gas mask for me? I can give you her head measurments or anything you would need.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,423 Posts

You have to build up the inside part of the outer area of the mask where it sits on the fur. Use the same material the mask is made of and make sure the glue won't eat or degrade the mask material, and isn't toxic after drying/curing. You might need two masks for a SH... Depends on undercoat vs winter undercoat.

You could also make a simple filtration device using a cone.

A lot of patience and training will likely be needed for any of this to work, especially with a Sibe
Old 04-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,753 Times in 5,516 Posts

Probably the best solution is to have a system with which you used forced clean air into a type of helmet chamber over the dog's head , no need for a positive seal because the forced air is blowing out the edges of the seal . A 12 volt blower from a car, an air filter drawn from the cleanest air available.
filter-blower-hose- helmet .
You may also want to have speed controls for the blower so the animal is not overwhelmed.
One must allow for the dog's mouth open so he can pant , that is his only cooling method.
In order to get things started a dummy mask needs to be made for the dog to become accustomed to, because it is likely that he will attempt to remove it and destroy it at first.
Not knowing what it is what would you do if some one put something over your head??
Second problem is hearing,
If the blower is especially soft in noise it will make it easier to communicate with your friend.
How fun is it to try and have a conversation in a car with air-conditioning going full blast?
Wish I could help with your project, sounds fun .
Designed right you might make something both of you share.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 AM

I'm willing to travel for help with the project because I've never built anything. I think my girl could handle learning the training because she listens better than most sibes do. I found her on the side of the road when she was 6 m/o and just got her dna results thinking she must have been mixed with something because she listens so well but she was pure bred.

We're currently building a bed in the back of our suv (with a lot of help from other people) and then I could travel anywhere within the continent for help with the gas mask for her. I'm new and not sure if I can DM yet please send me a message if anyone is interested in helping.