Why no data on the racial breakdown of the infected/dying? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-06-2020, 09:28 AM

Default Why no data on the racial breakdown of the infected/dying?

Advertise Here

Back in January I saw articles claiming that Han Chinese are more susceptible to getting the virus and to dying from it because of the increased number of ACE2 receptors in their lungs which apparently SARS based viruses target and spread on.

It seems to make sense: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....919985v1.full

But that was months ago and I've been trying to confirm or deny it ever since with very little luck.

I've searched, absolutely! But nobody wants to even discuss it.
Articles that claim to break down the risk factors by 'demographics' completely ignore race as a demographic:
Who is getting sick, and how sick? A breakdown of coronavirus risk by demographic factors

Then there are the liars and deceivers. With headlines like:
Kill the Myth, anyone can get COVID-19
A Message from the experts: COVID-19 Doesn't descriminate

They claim to debunk myths. But the only myth they debunk is the absolutely retarded idea that melanin protects you from the virus. (Who thought that anyway?)

Maybe my search engine skills aren't what they used to be, but it seems to me like we're simply not keeping track, publicly at least, of the racial makeup of the infected or dying.

Last week Elizabeth Warren and some other Senators and Congressmen sent a letter to the HHS, urging them to better track and communicate the demographic factors involved in this pandemic.

They came at it from a social justice angle, of course, but the question remains. Why aren't we ALREADY tracking and analyzing this data? I've been curious about it for months now and the first bit of racial data we've got to date on this virus has come from Milwaukee, who is apparently the only state that's actually tracking this information:

"As of Friday morning, African Americans made up almost half of Milwaukee Countyís 945 cases and 81% of its 27 deaths in a county whose population is 26% black. Milwaukee is one of the few places in the United States that is tracking the racial breakdown of people who have been infected by the novel coronavirus, offering a glimpse at the disproportionate destruction it is inflicting on black communities nationwide."
https://www.propublica.org/article/e...-alarming-rate

I don't understand why it's so hard to find this data. I don't understand why we haven't been watching it from the start. I don't understand why people aren't demanding to see this. I don't understand why it took till April to even begin discussing what was clearly an issue worth looking into back in January.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheFall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 18,422 Times in 4,399 Posts

Perhaps genetics could play a role but since this virus has never been known to show up in humans before maybe it is obscure or not found to be relevant at all . I would think cultural and community social behaviours are more of a factor with levels of transmission and the amount of exposure people are getting affecting statistics .
We also have not had any revelation why it does not impact youth and yet there must be a factor there , someone must have an good idea why not .
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:45 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,822 Times in 23,267 Posts

Well, if it is jumping to all these different species (cats, dogs, pangolins, bats, Tigers), I would assume it can jump between the races.

Given the massive death rate in Italy, I assume the race that calls Italy home is not immune.

The ACE theory was interesting, but apparently not does not play much role in who gets the bug, or the severity of the cases.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 09:54 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Thanked 26,045 Times in 7,659 Posts
Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFall View Post
Back in January I saw articles claiming that Han Chinese are more susceptible............... SNIP.................

I don't understand why it's so hard to find this data. I don't understand why we haven't been watching it from the start. I don't understand why people aren't demanding to see this. I don't understand why it took till April to even begin discussing what was clearly an issue worth looking into back in January.
What is driving this desire to "understand" ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
The ACE theory was interesting, but apparently not does not play much role in who gets the bug, or the severity of the cases.
Why do you say that?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheFall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper View Post
Perhaps genetics could play a role but since this virus has never been known to show up in humans before maybe it is obscure or not found to be relevant at all .
How would we know if its relevant if nobody is recording the data analyzing it or reporting on it?

It's entirely possible that Asians are 30% more likely to contract and/or die from the disease. (I just made that number up because nobody is reporting any real numbers for me to go off of.)
If that were the case, wouldn't that be relevant?

Because the elderly know that they are more susceptible, they can take additional actions to protect themselves. This is obvious, and so we are all taking special care not to infect our elderly loved ones.

Wouldn't it also be good to be able to tell young Asians: "Hey, you have the same risk factors as a 60+ year old white guy, you should take this whole sheltering-in-place thing very seriously"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheFall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1d View Post
What is driving this desire to "understand" ?
Minorities, women, and children worst hurt. Send more $$$$ (will make it all better).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:19 AM

I've told a couple of my Asian co worker/friends that I think Asians have a higher resistance to Covid 19. Why? China says its recovered, Japan is doing well, SK, Vietnam,HK, etc seem to be doing better than the rest of the world. Yeah its my dumb theory, but it seems these viruses keep coming from the same region. I think there's either a immunity build up or they just know how to react better to it than the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to KCbuckeye22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM
EdgeCrusher

Thanked 1,079 Times in 456 Posts

Its a global human species endemic...I dont give sloths nuts what race has to play into it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JabbaNoBother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:35 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,812 Times in 2,032 Posts

It really does not matter at this point because people are sick and are arriving at hospitals in droves in some places. All indications are that living closely increases likelihood of getting infected. Does that mean apartment dwellers in Milwaukee are just as likely as apartment dwellers in Manhattan ? Maybe? Is that a racial thing? Who knows or has time to care at this moment. Let the statisticians figure it out after the fire is out.

About 10 years ago I had an eye injury (Hyphema) that is bleeding within the eye. I was in the US Virgin Islands at the time and got excellent care from the one ophthalmologist on the island who also happened to be African American (From NYC by the way) and one of his first questions upon seeing me was did I have sickle cell anemia? I am an obvious average middle age white guy. So I was slightly confused, but then realized this disease is not 100% one of blacks, but affects whites, as well and more importantly is a potential complication to my eye injury. So this doctor rightly did not presume by color of my skin that I was not predisposed to this potential complication.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Retrofitted Sheeple

Thanked 76,798 Times in 20,548 Posts

I'm not sure why it matters. How would that knowledge change how you personally cope with the virus? How would it change how the government copes with the virus?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Basic Human Unit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 AM

The Fall, they don't want the data out but they are tracking it. They will probably find out your more likely to catch it living in the inner city, and having a history of smoking or being obese. The demographics on this are slanted heavily to inner city blacks living near the poverty level. Letting all that info go at the wrong time could lead to riots and more people catching this. While I agree with you from a scientific standpoint, what concerns me is the lack of a good actual # of death rate. What is the actual death rate of this thing? Its completly unknown is what. Some areas might be 10-15% if they get swamped, others 1%. If you get it are you immune afterwards? If that is the case it might be better to catch it at 25 in your prime rather than 65. I do know that if you get put on a vent the odds of surviving are 50/50ish and there is a decent chance you'll have some life long lung damage. Probably a good time to practice holding your breath and get your seconds up. I can hold my breath for 2 minutes as I surf so I might be ok. I personally think this is gods way of saying to the 60's generation globalist population wake up you suck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OceanDweller For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaNoBother View Post
Its a global human species endemic...I dont give sloths nuts what race has to play into it.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Indications are that cats and dogs can get it. Even big cats at the zoo.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,875 Times in 2,003 Posts

Why? Because the Democrats haven't figured out yet how to spin it to their best advantage. I'm sure it's coming.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
Why? Because the Democrats haven't figured out yet how to spin it to their best advantage. I'm sure it's coming.
While that is without a doubt correct, I am curious why the OP was/is so fixated on the "why"............
The Following User Says Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:46 AM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Quote:
Yeah, thats got too be it... NOT
The Following User Says Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:54 AM
ǝnƃoɹ ǝuoƃ

Default CAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Yeah, thats got too be it... NOT
Are you so sure about that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n1d For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Only after a member of the Trump administration discusses the differences in mortality among the different races will the Democrats figure out how to spin it as a "racist" statement. Until then, they can't cry discrimination.

Then, if the virus is found to infect a certain ethnicity more than others, it will be decided the virus is Trump's fault.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mojomandan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 AM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 10,102 Times in 3,940 Posts

Quote:
Back in January I saw articles claiming that Han Chinese are more susceptible to getting the virus and to dying from it because of the increased number of ACE2 receptors in their lungs which apparently SARS based viruses target and spread on.

It seems to make sense: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1....919985v1.full

But that was months ago and I've been trying to confirm or deny it ever since with very little luck.

I've searched, absolutely! But nobody wants to even discuss it.
Articles that claim to break down the risk factors by 'demographics' completely ignore race as a demographic:
Who is getting sick, and how sick? A breakdown of coronavirus risk by demographic factors

Then there are the liars and deceivers. With headlines like:
Kill the Myth, anyone can get COVID-19
A Message from the experts: COVID-19 Doesn't descriminate

They claim to debunk myths. But the only myth they debunk is the absolutely retarded idea that melanin protects you from the virus. (Who thought that anyway?)

Maybe my search engine skills aren't what they used to be, but it seems to me like we're simply not keeping track, publicly at least, of the racial makeup of the infected or dying.

Last week Elizabeth Warren and some other Senators and Congressmen sent a letter to the HHS, urging them to better track and communicate the demographic factors involved in this pandemic.

They came at it from a social justice angle, of course, but the question remains. Why aren't we ALREADY tracking and analyzing this data? I've been curious about it for months now and the first bit of racial data we've got to date on this virus has come from Milwaukee, who is apparently the only state that's actually tracking this information:

"As of Friday morning, African Americans made up almost half of Milwaukee Countyís 945 cases and 81% of its 27 deaths in a county whose population is 26% black. Milwaukee is one of the few places in the United States that is tracking the racial breakdown of people who have been infected by the novel coronavirus, offering a glimpse at the disproportionate destruction it is inflicting on black communities nationwide."
https://www.propublica.org/article/e...-alarming-rate

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html
Old 04-06-2020, 11:26 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 79,822 Times in 23,267 Posts

Quote:
Why do you say that?
Because if the virus can jump to a bunch of completely different animals, why would you think the subtle differences in DNA between races would give it any difficulty?

If Evil Knievel can jump the grand canyon, I would not question his ability to jump over a sidewalk crack.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post: