Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creepy stories from the indoors scosmo451 General Discussion 493 Today 12:20 AM
Creepy stories not from the outdoors itslikethatross Urban Survival 98 03-25-2020 09:43 PM
Funny Stories From The Outdoors AK_guy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 07-18-2019 03:19 PM
Creepy/Scary Campfire Stories JJohnsonMtMan Site Information & Suggestion Box 2 04-01-2015 02:50 PM
Creepy Red*Lion General Discussion 0 01-23-2014 08:27 PM
Can Anybody Say, Creepy?.......... MountainRecluse Controversial News and Alternative Politics 10 09-08-2010 07:12 PM
WOW, this is CREEPY Dirt Fisher General Discussion 1 11-02-2009 11:54 PM

Old 03-02-2020, 12:02 AM
Free of the Wilderness

Thanked 7,057 Times in 1,783 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
At 9 PM I went onto the deck for a cigarette and the 13 year old wanting some time away from his younger sister went out first, I was a step behind him and his father a step behind me.

The scent of human feces was so strong that we all commented on the fact within a few seconds. The door being opened long enough for three persons to exit let in the smell so strong that the females sitting in the living room experienced the stench as well.

My guess is that the 13 year-old crop dusted you all on the way out. That was probably the real reason why he wanted to go outside in the first place: He needed to let loose, but he unleashed it too soon.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,499 Times in 475 Posts

Do you have natural gas at your cabin?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,930 Times in 673 Posts
Default Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper_Ed View Post
Do you have natural gas at your cabin?
There's a 250 gallon tank forty feet off the Northwest corner of the cabin and five feet lower than floor level. The slight breeze was from the SSE puting it downwind not upwind and downhill as well. When we bought the place the propane tank was disconnected as there were two inside leaks. One at the stove and the other at the water heater. These were repaired and a pressure test was done by the plumbers. When the gas company tech reconnected the propane he did another pressure check which also passed.

I've grilled with propane for decades and as for the crop dusting comment; a thirty minute linger time outdoors would have to be a world record of sorts.
The Following User Says Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Christmas 2019; the location, my cabin in Savannah TN. The wife and I had invited her neice and family for a joint vacation. The visiting family has three children; a female drama queen aged 9, a boy aged 13 and another female who's 19. The two youngest spent their time outdoors during daylight hours being loud, bickering, in other words: acting like normal juvenile siblings.

On Christmas day we cooked a turkey outdoors using a Brinkmann propane fired oiless turkey fryer that turned out amazing. At 9 PM I went onto the deck for a cigarette and the 13 year old wanting some time away from his younger sister went out first, I was a step behind him and his father a step behind me.

The scent of human feces was so strong that we all commented on the fact within a few seconds. The door being opened long enough for three persons to exit let in the smell so strong that the females sitting in the living room experienced the stench as well. The wind currents were coming from an angle that put a possible septic field field leakage being downwind as unlikely.

The scent after 30 minutes later was less intense but still there. A lot of discussion followed. I later went out with a UV flashlight and a regular flashlight and was unable to find any evidence of a septic field leak. The next day the wife used our lawn tractor mower to mulch the leaves in the back yard and also couldn't find a source or evidence for the now gone smell.

The next day my neighbor stopped by for a visit and told me about ten years ago something was making roars so loud one night that he decided there wasn't enough money in the world that could persuade him to investigate the source even if armed.

We have a surveilance camera covering the camp driveway. To date just stray dogs maybe coyotes as the distance was too far.

Was it the paper mill? I know that smell can cover the county when itís about to rain. And it smells horrible. But if u are from here you probably know that. I donít know what it could be.
(It is a small world bc Iím from Savannah, TN.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to holdensabrina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 04:00 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klbsa View Post
Nothing was making sense..... I was SURE that I had heard a person on two feet walking this whole time but no human, no matter how dirty and homeless could smell that powerfully, plus the breathing I was hearing sounded more like a giant monster than a human. But monsters arenít real right? So I rationalized that it HAD to be a bear.
Possibly a bear with wounded front paws like this one:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lunarkingdom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,613 Times in 238 Posts

After a bit of a hiatus, I'm baaaack. Frickin' computer.

So late last summer my reg'lar hiking / hunting / bigfooting buddy Bill and I went for our annual backpacking / fishing / BSing trip into our regular spot, a rather flat, high elevation glacial cirque in the Cascades that has a handful of big ponds / small lakes. This time we were targeting one which sits out on a finger ridge with an 800 foot sheer drop into a canyon on one side and about 200-250 feet of sheer drop on the other side .. no through trails to anywhere, dead end. So we were expecting nothing, just gab and grub, and maybe a few trout.

It was end of august, skeeters starting to peter out but the yellowjacket numbers just taking off.

We stopped at the lower trailhead to use the USFS facilities 'cause they're in the sun and have fewer bugs then the one at the upper trailhead in the shade. While I was in "doing my biz" apparently there were 3 wood knocks from the ridge. I didn't hear 'em. While I was out lacing up my boots and Bill was doing his "dooty" I heard a knock, hardest wood knock I've ever heard. No crash, no other sounds of trees falling, no sounds of anything bouncing after, just one big ol' KRACK, sounded like a 10" diameter log about 15 feet long wound up an swung like a bat. Holy sh*t!!

So, y' know, we're like ... 'k, there's our "activity", now lets go catch some fish. We hiked in to where we usually camp, then about 2.2 miles farther to the lake on the ridge. The cascade huckleberries were awesome, best crop, best timing, I remember in a long time. Just before we dropped down to camp, we saw a bear .. or at least probably a bear .. bookin' off through the brush about 125 yards away heading for .. anywhere else. We set up camp by the lake, tents about 20 feet apart. Ate dinner. Took turns going around the corner and washing the trail sweat off in the lake. I set up an audio recorder just barely over the other side of the ridge from camp.

So, backing up a little .. this camp is about a quarter mile from where I was in 2011 when I heard the big "ahhhh" "roar" from across the canyon, 2-1/4 miles at least. And I still don't know what that was. Part of the reason for camping where we did was for the small chance of a repeat with a better recorder, better mic, in hopes of figuring out just what that "roar" was.

Anyways, as it got towards dark it got a little breezy and cold so we went to bed within a half hour of dark. I laid there for a while wrestling with low back problems. Out of the dark, from around the lake above my head as I was laying, opposite side of camp from Bill, comes "knock". Now, this was no big power knock, it was fairly quiet and it came from about 30 feet from me. I laughed. Didn't expect "them" out on that dead end ridge, but seemed like we sure had company. Over the next hour there were many knocks, probably upwards of 40 total, all from the same place. There would be groups of 2-3 knocks each 6-7 seconds apart, then a quiet gap of 3-5 minutes, then another little cluster. The whole time I was laying there grinning ear to ear enjoying whatever the heck it was they were doing.

That ended, rudely and abruptly, 1 hour and 4 minutes from when it began. Instead of a knock, there was a vocalization and it was the weirdest thing I have ever heard. I went borderline panic attack. First time in a very long time I was truly scared in the woods and wanted to be somewhere, anywhere, else. That noise was a bit louder, but not real loud. Y' gotta think about these as a layer cake of sound, not one after the other, but one on top of the other. Y' know what a raccoon "chuckle" sounds like? That's the first layer. The second layer was pops and clicks. The third layer was pops, but they were elongated, drawn out, several at the same time, some of them rising in pitch while others were falling in pitch. It was the weirdest, most unearthly sound I have ever heard. And terrifying.

But then silence, normal forest, and since I wasn't dead, I went to sleep. Struggled a little but I got enough. Had some moon through the trees for a while.

We got up the next morning, had breakfast, made a few casts, caught nothing, looked around camp for any explanations for the noise, found nothing, packed out, and headed back to the regular spot 2.2 miles back. More huckleberries. Ran into a bear .. bear for sure that time, got to watch it for a while. Ran into a yellowjacket nest and got stung a couple times. Back at the lake we had thousands of trout schooled up but none biting. Ate lunch, and hiked on back to the truck. No further events.

Well, I reviewed the audio. From like 10:52 to 11:56 pm sure enough I could hear the knocks on the recording. I did not hear that vocalization, didn't pick up. That sucks. A bit over an hour later, the audio showed something I had not heard. For about 45 minutes some deer on the other side of the ridge from us stomped and "blew" .. something was bugging them.

Anyway, that was about all of my creepy outdoors for 2019. I don't know what that noise was.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Square Peg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 10:18 PM

When I was about 8 years old, my mom was having a garage sale. We lived on an old 4 lane highway (old hwy 84 in SW Mississippi) that was no longer a main highway and so it wasn't really busy. It was a very rural area and houses were far enough apart you felt isolated. As the summer evening rolled around my mom was wrapping up and had gone inside when a large rusty red truck pulled down our gravel drive and up to the carport. I assumed the man with the red beard who got out was there for the garage sale. I thought nothing of it as he knelt down and starting talking to my little brother who was about 5 or 6. I was about 15 feet away so couldn't hear what he said but remember feeling anxious like my mom could miss a sale because this guy may take the absence of any adults as a sign the sale is over and may leave, so I yell for her really loudly and as I do, this man jumps to his feet, scrambles to his truck and leaves quickly enough that he sprays us with gravel a little. I remember being so confused for a moment wondering what I did or said wrong but I shrugged it off.

I was thinking about it days later when I suddenly come to the conclusion he was trying to kidnap my little brother.
I told my parents who kinda brushed it off, my mom convincing me I misunderstood or made it up, partly because my very controlling and jealous dad always accused my mom of being too busy socializing on the phone which she wasnt allowed to do after he got home in the evenings, or with some secret lover, to watch us properly while he was at work so I know she wouldnt have wanted to give him any more ammunition for wild accusations so didn't allow the conversation to go further.

I could be wrong and will never know but this was an odd response to a child calling for their mother if they had stopped in for the yard sale. Gives me the creeps to this day. My brother will ask me about it from time to time and wants me to recount the story to him as it kinda creeps him out as well though he has no recollection of it.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Homochitto For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 04:29 PM

Angry Almost the same happened to my little sister.

You are probably correct. Reading your story, raised the hair on the back of my neck. I have three siblings and we are all close in age. Mom had 4 kids in 5 years. We were military kids, my dad was career USAF. Most of the time we lived on base, but when we lived in the UK, base housing was very limited. We ended up living in Cambridge, UK and my dad drove to Alconbury AFB everyday. He had drove the only car and we walked or rode a bus everywhere we needed to go. We had a big back yard and a small front yard with a small fence across the front. The address was 37 Leys Rd, now it appears the houses have undergone some kind of revitalization. Back then, the youngest was a baby and so me and my siblings would play out front or on the sidewalk, or with the neighbor kids. One late afternoon, we had walked back from school and was playing with the other kids outside. A group of teenagers walked down the street and then back , they did this several times. Now we were all under the age of 11. The teenagers said something to the neighbor kid and he said something back to them. Suddenly, two of them came into the yard and grabbed my sister who was about 7. All of us starting screaming and tried to grab her legs. They were trying to get into a car that came out of nowhere. One of the kids had run to get a parent. His dad came running out from across the street, yelling and had a cricket bat in his hands, swinging for all he was worth. The teenagers dropped my sister and took off. By now, my mom was outside and the rest of the parents. My dad came home. My mom called the police ( Bobbies ) and 2 cars came. They talked to all of the kids and the father who had come out swinging the bat. All he could give the police was a general description of the young men. They werenít from the neighborhood. The police never caught them and for the longest time, none of us were allowed to play out front. Much later, my mom told us ( 15 years later ) that the police told her that gangs were kidnapping little girls to sell to sex offenders and that my sister was lucky...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ncsearcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:14 AM

I used to hone my 'sense of sight' ability at work. The building was 4 floors with the center open. I worked on the 2nd floor. There were some people that would snap look right in my eye immediately from below, some would take a few seconds & some wouldn't look at all. Both men & women seemed to have equal ability in my non scientific study. Those that didn't look at all were probably in heavy thought as that bottom floor was where all the meetings took place. When looking at people above me it was almost 100% of them looked down at me and it wasn't because we were passing each other. I could be trailing them below and they would snap their heads back to say the 5 o'clock to meet my eyes. It was as if they knew exactly where my eyes were, no searching. I was fascinated by this. I remember a few times being the slow to react guy from below, often it was when two or more people were watching me but were engaged with each other. And there were those times that I was slow to look up and it was a guy that was for sure watching me while we walked, they would give me that look like it took me long enough. I think we were all secretly doing this. It was like a game.

I've noticed when I'm hiking in the mtns my spidey senses come alive entering steep descents that are also steep to exit out of. Or when the trail funnels into a tight spot either by rocks or trees with blind spots. I also think we have the ability to pick up negative & positive energy that's either in the earth or has been left behind by violent events. I think this is why I love being in the mountains, its magnetic energy, ley lines.

For those of you that ski or hike think of the excitement you get when you first see the mountain. For me its like I'm a kid again, my whole energy is lifted 10 fold. It only a burst though, like a shot of adrenaline & its not really my excitement so I think I'm tapping in to other energies.

As far as getting spooked during any of my hikes, there was just one time, it was on the AT & a trail I hiked many times. It was a cold, damp gray day. No other cars in the parking area and I didnt see any hikers whilst hiking. I was about to enter the part of the trail that was heavily wooded and darker than the rest of the hike. I stopped in my tracks looking at it, something told me not to go. It wasnt an animal feeling or a death feeling it was a dont go further feeling with no reason. I was weighing what got me to this point vs turning around for an unknown spooked reason. I had driven 100 miles to get there. I had hiked for 2hrs and had covered the hardest part. Yet, something was telling me not to go further. I tried to reason with myself and talk myself through it to no avail the feeling was not going away. I turned around and headed back down the mountain.

If there were others on the mountain I may of pushed on but lack of others and no cell service it wasnt worth it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mtnhiker For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Peg View Post
After a bit of a hiatus, I'm baaaack. Frickin' computer.

So late last summer my reg'lar hiking / hunting / bigfooting buddy Bill and I went for our annual backpacking / fishing / BSing trip into our regular spot, a rather flat, high elevation glacial cirque in the Cascades that has a handful of big ponds / small lakes. This time we were targeting one which sits out on a finger ridge with an 800 foot sheer drop into a canyon on one side and about 200-250 feet of sheer drop on the other side .. no through trails to anywhere, dead end. So we were expecting nothing, just gab and grub, and maybe a few trout.

It was end of august, skeeters starting to peter out but the yellowjacket numbers just taking off.

We stopped at the lower trailhead to use the USFS facilities 'cause they're in the sun and have fewer bugs then the one at the upper trailhead in the shade. While I was in "doing my biz" apparently there were 3 wood knocks from the ridge. I didn't hear 'em. While I was out lacing up my boots and Bill was doing his "dooty" I heard a knock, hardest wood knock I've ever heard. No crash, no other sounds of trees falling, no sounds of anything bouncing after, just one big ol' KRACK, sounded like a 10" diameter log about 15 feet long wound up an swung like a bat. Holy sh*t!!

So, y' know, we're like ... 'k, there's our "activity", now lets go catch some fish. We hiked in to where we usually camp, then about 2.2 miles farther to the lake on the ridge. The cascade huckleberries were awesome, best crop, best timing, I remember in a long time. Just before we dropped down to camp, we saw a bear .. or at least probably a bear .. bookin' off through the brush about 125 yards away heading for .. anywhere else. We set up camp by the lake, tents about 20 feet apart. Ate dinner. Took turns going around the corner and washing the trail sweat off in the lake. I set up an audio recorder just barely over the other side of the ridge from camp.

So, backing up a little .. this camp is about a quarter mile from where I was in 2011 when I heard the big "ahhhh" "roar" from across the canyon, 2-1/4 miles at least. And I still don't know what that was. Part of the reason for camping where we did was for the small chance of a repeat with a better recorder, better mic, in hopes of figuring out just what that "roar" was.

Anyways, as it got towards dark it got a little breezy and cold so we went to bed within a half hour of dark. I laid there for a while wrestling with low back problems. Out of the dark, from around the lake above my head as I was laying, opposite side of camp from Bill, comes "knock". Now, this was no big power knock, it was fairly quiet and it came from about 30 feet from me. I laughed. Didn't expect "them" out on that dead end ridge, but seemed like we sure had company. Over the next hour there were many knocks, probably upwards of 40 total, all from the same place. There would be groups of 2-3 knocks each 6-7 seconds apart, then a quiet gap of 3-5 minutes, then another little cluster. The whole time I was laying there grinning ear to ear enjoying whatever the heck it was they were doing.

That ended, rudely and abruptly, 1 hour and 4 minutes from when it began. Instead of a knock, there was a vocalization and it was the weirdest thing I have ever heard. I went borderline panic attack. First time in a very long time I was truly scared in the woods and wanted to be somewhere, anywhere, else. That noise was a bit louder, but not real loud. Y' gotta think about these as a layer cake of sound, not one after the other, but one on top of the other. Y' know what a raccoon "chuckle" sounds like? That's the first layer. The second layer was pops and clicks. The third layer was pops, but they were elongated, drawn out, several at the same time, some of them rising in pitch while others were falling in pitch. It was the weirdest, most unearthly sound I have ever heard. And terrifying.

But then silence, normal forest, and since I wasn't dead, I went to sleep. Struggled a little but I got enough. Had some moon through the trees for a while.

We got up the next morning, had breakfast, made a few casts, caught nothing, looked around camp for any explanations for the noise, found nothing, packed out, and headed back to the regular spot 2.2 miles back. More huckleberries. Ran into a bear .. bear for sure that time, got to watch it for a while. Ran into a yellowjacket nest and got stung a couple times. Back at the lake we had thousands of trout schooled up but none biting. Ate lunch, and hiked on back to the truck. No further events.

Well, I reviewed the audio. From like 10:52 to 11:56 pm sure enough I could hear the knocks on the recording. I did not hear that vocalization, didn't pick up. That sucks. A bit over an hour later, the audio showed something I had not heard. For about 45 minutes some deer on the other side of the ridge from us stomped and "blew" .. something was bugging them.

Anyway, that was about all of my creepy outdoors for 2019. I don't know what that noise was.

Could the clicks possibly have been click beetles? I used to have some that lived our old house several years ago; they were very loud and did sound strange when I first heard them. It took me a loooong time to figure out what that sound was. I was wondering if your "rising and falling " sounds might have been click beetles in mating season or in the process of migrating or ending their season as cooler weather is approaching. Just a thought.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM
Prepared

Thanked 1,613 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Could the clicks possibly have been click beetles? I used to have some that lived our old house several years ago; they were very loud and did sound strange when I first heard them. It took me a loooong time to figure out what that sound was. I was wondering if your "rising and falling " sounds might have been click beetles in mating season or in the process of migrating or ending their season as cooler weather is approaching. Just a thought.
I wouldn't think so. Remember, it was a compound sound, all of the components I described all at the same time, not one by one, and the sound followed a fraction over an hour of wood knocks from the same apparent spot. These were loud enough to pick up on an audio recorder about .. or slightly over .. 100 yards away on the other slope of a low ridge.

I am "weird" perhaps, but I don't have to tell myself comforting lies, rather, I am comfortable leaving a question as "I don't know." This is one of those questions will will forever remain "I don't know" unless I happen to go back and SEE something making that noise.