Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice for first gun purchase abbysmom21299 Firearms General Discussion 86 06-04-2018 08:02 PM
Trump to Support Nationwide Concealed Carry Chuckleberry Firearms General Discussion 150 06-26-2017 09:35 AM
DoD Employee On-Post Firearms Carry... ROCK6 Firearms General Discussion 60 12-11-2016 04:57 PM
Concealed Carry-IWB or Pocket Carry AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 12-07-2016 08:18 AM
Pentagon says troops, recruiters can carry concealed guns Creek Walker General Discussion 39 11-27-2016 11:21 AM

Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Default Sportsmen Carry Question

Advertise Here

So I've recently gotten my carry permit with the restriction of sportsperson on it from Westchester County. I've been searching for weeks now and can find no guidelines from the county detailing anything to do with the restriction. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I've heard so much conflicting info on the subject. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2017, 08:52 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

You've found the first of many NY oddities -- first you couldn't find anything because --

There's no such thing as a "sportsmans" licence --

Start searching --

https://www.usacarry.com/forums/conc...ction-nys.html

One night at one of our meetings -- everyone with any kind of licence -- whipped them out -- out of 30 people ( including ex-cops ) -- 50 % had the word sportsman on it ---

PD question you for any reason ---- "discretion"
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM

Default NY Firearms

Ask around there..might be able to find some answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2017, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,586 Times in 1,422 Posts

Every county in NY seems to have different handgun rules so take this with a grain of salt. A NYS Trooper once explained to me there are only 2 kinds of NYS pistol permits, premises and carry. If the number on your permit starts with a C it is a carry permit and if it starts with P it is a premises permit. This is in upstate so check some more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoffl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM
I love this forum

P - premises permit = keep it in your home ( or business if designated ) - BUT -- you may take it directly to the range for practice --

Now the if-eee part ?

I have it in a locked box - with me to go to the range but got a flat / then on the way home I went shopping then I stopped for gas then 7/11 for coffee -- then I stopped at my buddy's house because hes interested in buying the same hand gun ---- you just had it with you all day -- "Legally"

Now stop at the first Precinct in Babylon or Mineola in Nassau --- your not suppose to leave it unattended -- so you walk to the front desk "I have a legal hand gun in my car" ( show your licence to the desk Sgt. ) ---- "Bring it in but cover it up"

You stick in in your pocket -- walk up to the sand bucket at the front door -- verify its unloaded ---- you just concealed carried

The laws here in Suffolk have a lot of leeway / interpretation

But the sportsman is for target / hunting / competition shooting -- ?
Old 03-04-2017, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,796 Posts

Good Grief.......
Glad I don't live there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 04:58 PM
I love this forum

And yet with this years tax refund -- I'm applying --
Old 03-04-2017, 05:02 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAABFD77 View Post
So I've recently gotten my carry permit with the restriction of sportsperson on it from Westchester County
Soooooooooooooooooo -- at your interviews -- they didn't walk you through this / no rules paper work / nothing on line from your pistol licencing bureau

I found it in less than a second --

Another ?
Old 03-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 26,614 Times in 6,768 Posts

This is a pretty good site. Run your cursor over New York and click, then scroll to the end - the actual laws are printed at the end.

http://www.handgunlaw.us
The Following User Says Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 06:12 PM
I love this forum

Doing their homework now
Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,078 Posts

This is basically unsettled law.

When I lived in NY State, I had a carry permit. It said, "target shooting, hunting." These were supposedly "restrictions." They were put there by the township clerk or whomever was issuing the permit.

Just one thing... it's actually a NY State permit. As such, it's a New York State Carry Permit. End of story. So the restrictions are irrelevant. (Supposedly.) The only thing super clear about New York State is that permits outside of New York City don't apply to New York City (all boroughs). But that's clear as there's state laws that cover this. As for the rest of the State, towns really can't - supposedly - put on restrictions.

The reason it's unsettled is that after all these years, (and this is just my understanding from my own research from years ago), is that there hasn't been a court case yet where someone violated one of these supposedly not really valid restrictions, gotten in trouble, and then had it be an issue. I can't really cite my sources as this was many years ago. I think one of them MIGHT have been a book called "Gun Control in New York."

This might not clear anything up for you. At least, all I'm saying is a Carry Permit is a Carry Permit and that's that. But... if you got into some kind of issue, it's conceivable someone would bring up restrictions and say "Hey, you know you weren't on your way to or from or actively hunting at the time so your restrictions applied and you shouldn't have used that weapon at the Quickie Mart to kill that bad guy who might have just left with the money and not hurt anyway even though he was threatening people and waving his gun around."

And then you would be the big test case everyone's been waiting for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 PM

Default Sportsmen Carry Question

Thanks for all the info guys. Ricekila : no my "interview" lasted all of 5 minutes of them skimming over my paper work and the fingerprint machine not working right. It would have been nice if they did. No the sportsmen is apparently a separate restriction besides target/hunting.

The Following User Says Thank You to RAABFD77 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 AM
I love this forum

I see from your other thread post -- its only been a few months -- the second interview should be longer --- again my frame of reference is standing here on Crap-Island -- I'm told the 2 or 3 inquisitions are brutal --

A few of the women we hear from with our Women on Target classes -- some send their friends / daughters to our next classes -- some say they got they're licence's in 2 months --- a few say they're waiting a year --

Thats when we tell them ----- after 6 months from the day they handed in the application -- by law they must have an answer as to why they were either denied or delayed -- they they must be put to the front of the processing line --
Old 03-05-2017, 12:23 PM
I love this forum

Here -- ( not sure of there ) -- when you don't hear back from them -- you go to the courts and file an Article 78 Petition -$10. ?

They hate that --

I was reminded that one of our members said to the person he handed his application to -- jokingly said -- "See you in 6 months" -- LOL

"What do you mean 6 months -- you'll have your first interview in a few weeks" ?

"6 months from now if I still don't hear a final determination -- I can file for a an Article 78 Petition if I need too" --

"Oh -- no -- that's from after your first interview" !

"Nope -- a SCPD lie to give you guys more time to -- take time" --

( Which is why I'll hand deliver mine to the desk & get a stamped receipt or mail it w/ sig and return receipt )

Long story shortened -- he was approved in 3 months -- there was no valid reason to turn him down --- here I'm told once approved -- all your paper work sits in a desk basket till the last minute or longer --

P/S -- I read someplace of all the NY county's -- Suffolk has the most handgun licences per 1000 residents ---- surprising --
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 PM

Yea I do something along the same line. Anytime I go to the office they always remind me it can be done by mail. I'd rather hand in everything in person. Handed in an amendment last week and they of course had just changed the form which would have delayed me picking up my pistol. The detectives in the office are great to deal with and extremely helpful. The administrative staff not so much.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:02 AM
Target Shooter

In my area Orange County the judge issued your permit and he wrote what you can do while carrying a gun.
Through the entire process I keep stating I want to carry for personal protection , At the end of the day when I saw The issue it judge he wrote my permit with everything I stated I want to do with it hunting fishing hiking/businesscarry which allowed me to do Any of these things While carrying my pistol.
The judge told me to come back in a year and he would Amand my permit to unrestricted Carrie ,30 years later I heard he was going to retire I went and had him upgrade my permit
The restriction on the permit just placed there by the judge AT his discretion .
There is no law , it is a court order
I carried a pistol every day for years and never a problem.
Even if the find you carrying a pistol in nyc they give you a summons and ask you to leave the city immediately.
You end up having to see The judge that issued the permit and explained yourself.
Now in my area they just issue carry permits with no restriction .
The Following User Says Thank You to wellbuilt For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,580 Times in 838 Posts

Dutchess county got mine a few years ago. In the reasons for carrying I was told by the clerk to Wright all lawfully practices.

CcW is such a county and even judge based thing it's hard to track and then add on something like an election year of any politician or issue in the world it can take 10 months to get or a few weeks.

After sandy hook happened I told everyone I know to get a permit, and filled out many references for them...sadly years later some still haven't handed the paperwork in so useless.