Survivalist Forum banner

What's your favorite gun and why?

10K views 103 replies 70 participants last post by  hatchet jack 
#1 ·
I have many guns and I don't discriminate I like them all. When I read different topics about if you could only grab one gun or only have three guns I participate and think it through and name guns that I have that suit those purposes. But today I was shooting my Ruger 77/22 22LR bolt action rifle blued steel and nice wood, and realized that it's pretty much my favorite rifle that I own. I frequently take it shooting by itself just for fun and it's my go to squirrel gun. Amazingly enough of all my guns that have cost me a decent amount I bought this one second hand from a friends father's estate for $200 and then put and old Simmons scope I had laying around on it. So my favorite gun is the Ruger 77/22, what's your's?

#40 ·
That's like choosing favorite kid.. Depending on categories I'd have to say.

Steyr Aug - semiautomatic rifle
Steyr m9a1 - pistol
Steyr ssg 08 -bolt gun (edges out my old ssg 69 by a hair)
FN slp mk1 - shotgun

May not guess it but I'm kinda a Steyr fan.. My most prized guns (which by default makes them my favorite I guess) even though not practical are my.

Model 1752 Miquelet light infantry musket ( Spanish colonial era )

1763 Charleville musket (American Revolution)

Both have history, the Miquelet having came from St Augustine Florida when Florida was still a Spanish colony before it was part of the US and the Charleville according to the documents that came with (tracing the soldier who owned it). Was at the Battle of Saratoga and Trenton as well as Bunker Hill as Captain Halls company was present at all of them.

#41 ·
I have to say my Mossberg 20 ga that I purchased in 1968. Many game animals were harvested with that gun including a dozen or so buck. No money back then so the variety of firearms in my gun rack was meager.
It wasn't the first gun I purchased but it was the one I used the most. It still comes out on occasion during deer season to hunt in areas that are shotgun only.

#42 ·
I like all sorts of them. The only one I'd save if the house was on fire is an crappy old 30" full choke single shot 12 ga shotgun. One of millions made and distributed as store brand shotguns. They sell for $50-100 all the time around here.

I think my grandfather only paid $5-10 for it with a box of shells at the local co-op back when my dad was a kid. He carried it everywhere he went. It's rack was the hand guard of the tractor, facing down, and resting on the foot step. If it wasn't there it was behind the seat of his truck. He had an assorted box of shells that moved around with it so he could shoot at game for different seasons.

When I got it, there was no bluing and the stock was held together with wire and duct tape. I stripped it down and had a gun smith hot tank blue it, then hand carved a stock for it out of an old growth piece of timber from a mining operation that my father-in-law gave me. So it ties together two families.

I've spent more time, money, and effort on it then it will ever be worth. There's no safety, the hammer can bite you, it kicks like a mule, but I custom made the stock to fit my hands and LOP and it will hit anything (and reach rather far out) if I do my part.

I learned to shoot a shotgun with it. Slow, steady, lead, don't miss because there's no second chances.

#46 ·
I've seen pictures of several guns here that look good. I'm partial to the savage model 23 series. They come in 22 lr, 25-20,32-20 and 22 hornet. I cast projectiles and hand load so I can shoot them cheap. Not much here in the foot hills of California that one can not take, although pig and bear are pushing it. I also really like the Ruger 77 in 357 mag. The 357 is easier to find ammo. the 357 will knock down our little deer and a wild boar.

#52 ·
I can't even pick, I just like almost any well-designed and quality firearm. I like the engineering, the tasks they handle, the thought put into them, simplicity in designs, the materials used, their history, and so forth. I also love the freedom they represent.

For example, I dug out an old Stevens model 67. A cheaply made 12 gauge. It's nowhere near the quality of a Mossy or Remy. Stiff action, odd forarm design, stiff to insert shells, non-extendable magazine. But it's still a good working 12 gauge that would solve most problems from hunting deer, birds, or self defense in a pinch. And it was only $150. Where else can you get that in life?

#58 ·
That's the spirit.......

Wasr1063. " Romanian era". Used to shoot over 100 wild hogs by yours truly in Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, and Kansas.( I tried to arrest them but they wouldnt have it.)

FTR. .....All pigs dumped were on parole at the time......if that matters.

11B

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.