EMP & Your Red Dot Sight - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burris AR-536 Prism Sight 5X Tactical Red Dot Sight Ballistic/CQ (300210) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 12-31-2014 10:21 AM
Compound peep sight vs rear sight Goatblood3 Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 5 12-18-2014 01:44 PM
Cabela’s 3x Tactical Prism Sight + Free Reflex Sight $187 shipped after 25% off code apps47inc For Sale 0 12-12-2013 02:14 PM
Looking for SKS front sight and sight base JP-Alabama Military Weapons Forum 4 11-23-2013 02:04 PM
Bushnell® Trophy MP Sight - $99.99, Aim Sports Red Dot Sight - $29 shipped apps47inc For Sale 0 07-31-2013 12:14 PM
Sight Mark laser bore sight SportShot Firearms General Discussion 3 01-05-2013 01:39 PM
Williams fire sight and receiver sight review Oni Kadaki Rifle Forum 0 05-24-2011 01:40 PM
Sight help with savage 24c-dl rear sight? THE_HUNTERIAM Rifle Forum 1 07-28-2010 11:50 PM
Invention Award goes to new "Smart Sight" gun sight .... Gallo Pazzesco Firearms General Discussion 14 05-23-2010 11:22 AM

Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 PM
that's like, your opinion

Thanked 24,334 Times in 10,075 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
Owned a few acogs. Fiber optics don't get it done nearly as well. Transitional lighting is the reason.
an RX30 is not an acog, it is a 1x sight with fiber optics and tritium.... is it as bright as you can make a red dot, yes and no.... it is bright as anything in direct sunlight, pretty good in shade and tough to aquire in the dark, but once your eyes adjust it is pretty decent.

ACOGs have way way less surface area in their fiber then the RX30 does....

it is bulkier and heavier then a regular EOtech/Aimopoint, but it works great on my SLR107F even when hot as hell....
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Has Deplaned - Adios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
The *******ed Germans got nothin' to do with it!
Last guy who said that had a 50 foot piece of toilet paper hanging out of his drawers - be sure you check.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drchuck9792 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,099 Times in 4,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefunkymxw View Post
an RX30 is not an acog, it is a 1x sight with fiber optics and tritium.... is it as bright as you can make a red dot, yes and no.... it is bright as anything in direct sunlight, pretty good in shade and tough to aquire in the dark, but once your eyes adjust it is pretty decent.

ACOGs have way way less surface area in their fiber then the RX30 does....

it is bulkier and heavier then a regular EOtech/Aimopoint, but it works great on my SLR107F even when hot as hell....
I'll take an AP/Eotech. Works great in any light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM

unobtanium, i think you like to argue to just see yourself post somtimes...

the premise of the OP is regarding a situation where electronics, to include batteries dont work...... i have eotechs, aimpoints, bushnells, trijicons, vortexes (vorticies??? latin), and some other glass.... they each have their pros and cons, but for the situation from the OP, i cant think of anything better for long term / non-electrical device SHTF then a fiber optic sight that doesnt require batteries and adjusts with ambient light.... I AM NOT TELLING YOU OR THE OP TO GO OUT AND BUY ONE, what i am saying is that for the hypothetical situation the OP decribed, that this would fit the bill in my own arsenal.

would you want a dot that is smaller then 3 or 3.5 moa... sure... as long as the rifle is capable of the accuracy... mine is on an ak... so i dont really mind, i consider it more of a "support" weapon in which case the huge objective diameter (42mm) is nice for a forward mounted optic (its on an ultimac rail that replaces the gas tube)

i have no other way of telling you this, so ill just say it again... not everyone has the same requirments in a piece of gear that you do... not everyone needs a class II SBR with a can, not everyone like DGI, not everyone wants [back up] irons, not everyone wants the lightest weight think out there.... so you can try to argue semantics/pedantics about the secenario itself, but at the end of the day you are changing the scenario to fit the gear you have invested in already and not giving sound advice for the hypothetical the OP is asking about.

and OP, know that it is fine to have redundancy built into your gear, i have all kinds of sights: irons, 1x red dots with all kinds of power sources, acogs, fixed power scoped, variable powered scopes....... the only thing you are limited by is your budget, but if its important to you, save up for it, do what you gotta do.
The Following User Says Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Quote:
unobtanium, i think you like to argue to just see yourself post somtimes...

the premise of the OP is regarding a situation where electronics, to include batteries dont work...... i have eotechs, aimpoints, bushnells, trijicons, vortexes (vorticies??? latin), and some other glass.... they each have their pros and cons, but for the situation from the OP, i cant think of anything better for long term / non-electrical device SHTF then a fiber optic sight that doesnt require batteries and adjusts with ambient light.... I AM NOT TELLING YOU OR THE OP TO GO OUT AND BUY ONE, what i am saying is that for the hypothetical situation the OP decribed, that this would fit the bill in my own arsenal.

would you want a dot that is smaller then 3 or 3.5 moa... sure... as long as the rifle is capable of the accuracy... mine is on an ak... so i dont really mind, i consider it more of a "support" weapon in which case the huge objective diameter (42mm) is nice for a forward mounted optic (its on an ultimac rail that replaces the gas tube)

i have no other way of telling you this, so ill just say it again... not everyone has the same requirments in a piece of gear that you do... not everyone needs a class II SBR with a can, not everyone like DGI, not everyone wants [back up] irons, not everyone wants the lightest weight think out there.... so you can try to argue semantics/pedantics about the secenario itself, but at the end of the day you are changing the scenario to fit the gear you have invested in already and not giving sound advice for the hypothetical the OP is asking about.

and OP, know that it is fine to have redundancy built into your gear, i have all kinds of sights: irons, 1x red dots with all kinds of power sources, acogs, fixed power scoped, variable powered scopes....... the only thing you are limited by is your budget, but if its important to you, save up for it, do what you gotta do.
Got it. OP didn't ask for a gear recommendation, though. They asked a "what if?" question. They already have all the gear they need, they said.

Buy a good knife. It will outlast all the bullets batteries and beans.

Seriously. I don't know where or how people come up with these fantasy scenarios (OP dreamed it up because they were bored and its just in their nature), and so I don't know how to "play along" appropriately. I guess my best plan is to just pretend that NOTHING EXCEPT the criteria the OP states matters. Regardless of how irrelevant or ill conceived or not "stand alone" the situation is. I am to approach it as a "problem on an Island", so to speak.

On that point...

One of the Trijicon TR series scopes. They are bright, 3-gunners beat the **** out of them, they are affordable, the tritium will die about the same time batteries do but please lets not let the thread wander...they have fiber optics. They are fast up close, and great for out to 3-400 yards.

Really though, I just can't get over how someone will live with an optic that doesn't do as well at ANYTHING as a different and same-priced optic for the decade and a half or so after civilization has ended to justify owning said optic. It boggles my mind and I just can't play that game very well. Does that make any sense?

Of course it seems like I recommend things similar to the gear I bought. Why else would I buy something other than that in my opinion it is the best at that purpose, and why would I recommend otherwise.

You will also note many threads I recommend gear OTHER than what I have. Such as the Z6i or Khales. Or a 16" .308 from KAC (I don't own anything from KAC but a battery cover for my T1). I don't have anything but Eotechs and Aimpoints...but there does exist a use for magnified optics for OTHER scenarios.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Got it.

Buy a good knife. It will outlast all the bullets batteries and beans.

Seriously. I don't know where or how people come up with these fantasy scenarios, and so I don't know how to "play along" appropriately. I guess my best plan is to just pretend that NOTHING EXCEPT the criteria the OP states matters. Regardless of how irrelevant or ill conceived or not "stand alone" the situation is. I am to approach it as a "problem on an Island", so to speak.

On that point...

One of the Trijicon TR series scopes. They are bright, 3-gunners beat the **** out of them, they are affordable, the tritium will die about the same time batteries do but please lets not let the thread wander...they have fiber optics. They are fast up close, and great for out to 3-400 yards.

Really though, I just can't get over how someone will live with an optic that doesn't do as well at ANYTHING as a different and same-priced optic for the decade and a half or so after civilization has ended to justify owning said optic. It boggles my mind and I just can't play that game very well. Does that make any sense?
#1 your comment on the TR scopes = relevant... well done, your progressing

#2 the market determines the price/success of these things, just because you dont have a use for them doesnt mean the market in general can't support the device... trijicon would have stopped making the RX series had they not been profitable, and even if they are not profitable at one point in time doesnt mean the design won't be useful in the future (looking back at betamax vs VHS is a great example of how an inferior technology was able to perform in the market). competition drives the market, without competing designs we wouldn't be able to fit every scenario, thus had eotech not been seen as different from an aimpoint, you wouldnt be using xps3's all over the place.

i got an RX30 cuz i wanted a huge glass 1x sight because looking through puny 25mm tubes almost a foot from my face isnt as fast to aquire the dot...
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Survivor

Just because something is produced does not mean it is the best for any given task. Even if it is profitable. Witness bottled city tap water for the biggest moneymaking example. Another example is the Trijicon Tripower. Still made...would you buy one?

The Rx30 has its users, yes, but most find the eotech or aimpoint more useful in many instances where dynamic lighting occurs. Ymmv and obviously does. Do you run it behind a white light at night any?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,875 Times in 1,337 Posts

My .02...if this unlikely scenario were to happen, I think my red dots would be very low on my list of priorities in all honesty. Back ups are kind of important.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howyadoin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Just because something is produced does not mean it is the best for any given task. Even if it is profitable. Witness bottled city tap water for the biggest moneymaking example. Another example is the Trijicon Tripower. Still made...would you buy one?

The Rx30 has its users, yes, but most find the eotech or aimpoint more useful in many instances where dynamic lighting occurs. Ymmv and obviously does. Do you run it behind a white light at night any?
i do not run a light on my AK no.... i did put one on my wife's AR which as an XPS3-0 (single red dot, no retard orb) and backup flipup irons on it.... i might run a light on my beretta Cx4 which has a vortex strikefire on it, but havent. i was thinking of a fiber optic RMR to go on top of my 2 acogs but sided for the CR2032 battery operated ones since they were a bit clearer.

the only think i will run at night (which i dont really plan on running during the night anyway) is probably my DSA SA58 which has a 5x pulsar 550 digital night sight.... which has no need for a visible light on it... it has an active IR light on it.

no wouldnt buy a trijicon tri-power as i already have RX30s and ACOGs... as well as eotechs, as well as aimpoints (dont have my comp m4 mounted on anything at the moment since i put the pulsar on the FAL), as well as strikefires, as well as bushnell trophies...
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW

Thanked 2,054 Times in 937 Posts

Mepro M21, fiber optic and tritium, no electronics, no switches.
The Following User Says Thank You to skifast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Consciously Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
My .02...if this unlikely scenario were to happen, I think my red dots would be very low on my list of priorities in all honesty. Back ups are kind of important.
By far the most succinct yet relevant post I've seen in a long time. Well done sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to ParsedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Survivor

Quote:
i do not run a light on my AK no.... i did put one on my wife's AR which as an XPS3-0 (single red dot, no retard orb) and backup flipup irons on it.... i might run a light on my beretta Cx4 which has a vortex strikefire on it, but havent. i was thinking of a fiber optic RMR to go on top of my 2 acogs but sided for the CR2032 battery operated ones since they were a bit clearer.

the only think i will run at night (which i dont really plan on running during the night anyway) is probably my DSA SA58 which has a 5x pulsar 550 digital night sight.... which has no need for a visible light on it... it has an active IR light on it.

no wouldnt buy a trijicon tri-power as i already have RX30s and ACOGs... as well as eotechs, as well as aimpoints (dont have my comp m4 mounted on anything at the moment since i put the pulsar on the FAL), as well as strikefires, as well as bushnell trophies...
All of my weapons may be used for home defense, or more likely (and hopefully!) hog hunting, when I move. Hence I don't own anything without a light. If you don't forsee using the rifle after dark, I think the RX30 is a good enough solution, as it's not illuminated after dark (the tritium burns out in about 15 years or so, same as a battery).
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
All of my weapons may be used for home defense, or more likely (and hopefully!) hog hunting, when I move. Hence I don't own anything without a light. If you don't forsee using the rifle after dark, I think the RX30 is a good enough solution, as it's not illuminated after dark (the tritium burns out in about 15 years or so, same as a battery).
i have like 45 total firearms, but i only plan to use so many of them for 'defense'... my 'home defense' weapons are pistols (a 45 a 40 and a 357 sig, one on each level), they have streamlight TRL-3s and tridium night sights on them. dont plan on needing a rifle for a home invasion, but i keep a 6.8 xcr ready to go in the basement.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Survivor

Quote:
i have like 45 total firearms, but i only plan to use so many of them for 'defense'... my 'home defense' weapons are pistols (a 45 a 40 and a 357 sig, one on each level), they have streamlight TRL-3s and tridium night sights on them. dont plan on needing a rifle for a home invasion, but i keep a 6.8 xcr ready to go in the basement.
My Dad is a collector as well. Has stuff he's never shot. Keep them oiled and inspect them regularly! I've tried to get him to do this...

I have a 357SIG, as well, but it's just for the range or maybe hunting. It shoots like a laser and I love it. Bruce Gray and his crew were able to get a 1.14" group at 25 yards with it off a sand-bag using factory Gold Dots. Fun fun fun pistol.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 1,208 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alig33 View Post
get a acog
n 20 yrs when the tritium is burned beyond vision...

But short term solution, works well. With short term buis...

Standard crosshairs, reliable....
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
My Dad is a collector as well. Has stuff he's never shot. Keep them oiled and inspect them regularly! I've tried to get him to do this...

I have a 357SIG, as well, but it's just for the range or maybe hunting. It shoots like a laser and I love it. Bruce Gray and his crew were able to get a 1.14" group at 25 yards with it off a sand-bag using factory Gold Dots. Fun fun fun pistol.
yea i CLP mine regularily, i keep in lockers that i have sealed up with weather stripping and i keep dessicant (eva-dry) in each locker and generally dry those out every 6 months.... i have one rifle and one handgun in each of my two cars as well, they stay in polymer bags that are lined with a dessicant as well, i lube them every 2 months and check the sights (both rifles have battery operated 1x sights as well as back up irons).

i cant say that i have any that i havent shot though...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM
I love this forum

Personally I think the EMP threat is a bit overblown.

Plus as far as the threat of it shutting down your Aimpoint/EO Tech/Trijicon consider this :

The EMP Commision studied the effects of EMP on automobiles (the circuitry of which is more delicate and susceptible to disruption than what's in a red dot sight) and here's what they came up with...:

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

Quote:
Automobiles
The potential EMP vulnerability of automobiles derives from the use of built-in electronics that support multiple automotive functions. Electronic components were first introduced into automobiles in the late 1960s. As time passed and electronics technologies evolved, electronic applications in automobiles proliferated. Modern automobiles have as many as 100 microprocessors that control virtually all functions. While electronic applications have proliferated within automobiles, so too have application standards and electromagnetic interference and electromagnetic compatibility (EMI/EMC) practices.

Thus, while it might be expected that increased EMP vulnerability would accompany the proliferated electronics applications, this trend, at least in part, is mitigated by the increased application of EMI/EMC practices. We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively minor. Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct.

Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response. Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries.

Trucks
As is the case for automobiles, the potential EMP vulnerability of trucks derives from the trend toward increasing use of electronics. We assessed the EMP vulnerability of trucks using an approach identical to that used for automobiles. Eighteen running and nonrunning trucks were exposed to simulated EMP in a laboratory. The intensity of the EMP fields was increased until either anomalous response was observed or simulator limits were reached. The trucks ranged from gasoline-powered pickup trucks to large diesel-powered tractors. Truck vintages ranged from 1991 to 2003.

Of the trucks that were not running during EMP exposure, none were subsequently affected during our test. Thirteen of the 18 trucks exhibited a response while running. Most seriously, three of the truck motors stopped. Two could be restarted immediately, but one required towing to a garage for repair. The other 10 trucks that responded exhibited relatively minor temporary responses that did not require driver intervention to correct.

Five of the 18 trucks tested did not exhibit any anomalous response up to field strengths of approximately 50 kV/m. Based on these test results, we expect few truck effects at EMP field levels below approximately 12 kV/m. At higher field levels, 70 percent or more of the trucks on the road will manifest some anomalous response following EMP exposure.

Approximately 15 percent or more of the trucks will experience engine stall, sometimes with permanent damage that the driver cannot correct. Similar to the case for automobiles, the EMP impact on trucks could trigger vehicle crashes on U.S. highways. As a result, many more vehicles could be damaged than those damaged directly by EMP exposure. {Page 131}
Plus the type of devices that are likely to be used in the CONUS are typically low yield devices like 'Dirty Bombs' more intended to cause panic in civilian populations.

In the unlikely event that an ICBM hits your general location the last thing you'll be thinking of is whether your RDS got fried. It's simply a non-issue as you'll likely be dead.

Typically the electronic device also has to be on in order to possibly be damaged by EMP. Other than people that have Aimpoints on all the time (with their ridiculously long battery life) that isn't much of a problem. In all likelihood a red dot sight not on at the time would still probably work.

There's the possibility of a solar flare, but since the last time that happened was in the 1859 (the Carrington Event) no one really knows what would happen in modern society as a result. It's just a big blank question mark.

If you're that far down the chain of 'what-if' scenarios where it's a possibility just make sure and use your BUIS's and/or buy a conventional scope and rings and throw it in the closet or safe along with a bore sight.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 AM

EMP is a high amplitude magnetic "wave". When a conductor passes through a magnetic field, electrical energy is created or "induced". This is the principle at work in a generator, i.e. magnets spinning inside a coil of wire. In the case of EMP, the longer the conductor, the greater the amount of electrical energy is produced. This wave and resulting voltage is created many times faster than the "flow" of a lightning bolt. The EMP works on line of sight, so the higher the altitude of detonation, the less surface area would be masked from the pulse.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,733 Times in 4,573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore46 View Post
EMP is a high amplitude magnetic "wave". When a conductor passes through a magnetic field, electrical energy is created or "induced". This is the principle at work in a generator, i.e. magnets spinning inside a coil of wire. In the case of EMP, the longer the conductor, the greater the amount of electrical energy is produced. This wave and resulting voltage is created many times faster than the "flow" of a lightning bolt. The EMP works on line of sight, so the higher the altitude of detonation, the less surface area would be masked from the pulse.
a year after thread death and this is how you "bump" it ?
observe. . . .
Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,733 Times in 4,573 Posts

red dots are still good after an emp. i was playing the call of duty where the emp hit and the helicopters and planes were falling out of the sky. well my holographic sight was not working so i just centered everything in the middle and started shooting. i survived and completed the mission so no worries.