Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG, what have I started??? What do I need? boatycall Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 09-25-2013 06:30 PM
Getting Started mosin dude Black powder 3 06-25-2013 08:34 AM
Just getting started docfaust New Member Introduction 9 06-18-2013 11:31 PM
Just getting started! thutch15 New Member Introduction 5 01-25-2012 04:18 PM
What got you started? wilhelm Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 08-25-2010 02:15 AM
Help me get started. Eli Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 06-17-2010 03:57 PM
and that's how it all started.. RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 2 06-11-2010 11:08 AM
Just getting started Kysurvivalist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 05-09-2010 01:14 PM
Where do I get started owner_bsp New Member Introduction 11 05-01-2010 03:17 PM

Old 07-13-2013, 02:58 AM

Post Getting Started...

Advertise Here

Just getting into the forum and looking at everyone's posts also figuring out how to work this thing. Just recently got a pack for camping/hiking and need gear to fill it. looking for any information where to start, and information for anything at all would be nice. Books to read, sites to look at, people to talk to. I have watched many Youtube vidoes though so that helps out a lot.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,687 Times in 735 Posts

Hi and welcome from Australia, people will need some basic info before making any recommendations
Where you intend to Hike, what weather will you be likely to come across, going alone? (not always a good idea), level of fitness etc
Take your time in choosing gear, avoid the excitement and buzz and make level headed choices
Some things you will need, socks (wool), some form of communication if you get into strife, water, some food, make sure you have shelter, can survive for a while without food, not water though, but if the weather gets nasty, the time can drop down to minutes in a survival situation
Small first aid kit, energy bars, some good Gloves (protect the hands) some form of head protection (beanie), again it all depends on where you intend to go and what time of the yrs, many more experienced people will respond
Most importantly, have fun out there if a complete novice, maybe join a club to get the basics
Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Wazza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Thru-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR515 View Post
Just getting into the forum and looking at everyone's posts also figuring out how to work this thing. Just recently got a pack for camping/hiking and need gear to fill it. looking for any information where to start, and information for anything at all would be nice. Books to read, sites to look at, people to talk to. I have watched many Youtube vidoes though so that helps out a lot.
Welcome. I've done some hiking in Washington, mainly near Colville. Some beautiful places there.

The main points that I would say is don't get caught up in gear envy. Its easy to throw money (if you have it) at all kinds of equipment, but much of it is not necessary. You'll want good quality gear, but it doesn't have to be the "latest and greatest". Get a good quality sleeping bag and shelter to go with your pack (your "Big 3"). Start with day hikes, then move on to overnighters in good conditions. Washington gets pretty rainy, but don't let that stop you. Just prepare prudently for those conditions, and avoid hypothermia at all costs.

You are going to find a lot of different opinions here and that's good, just don't let anyone tell you that their way is the only way. What I enjoy most is the freedom of long multi-day hikes with very little weight on my back, usually less than 10 lbs not including food or water. Others go out with 40-50 lbs packs, and that's fine too. Some are hammock hangers, I sleep on the ground with a pad. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 05:43 PM

I'm new as well. Been working extra hours just to buy some more equipment. I can't give you too much advice, but from my experience so far..........

100% leather gloves definitely suit my needs over everything else. Not only do they virtually never get those stickies caught in them from various plants, but I wear them while making and tending to any fires I use. And they last, even the cheap ones last for me as long as it's only used with camping.

Also, sleeping bags with me is about a 20 degree difference. And I bring a wool blanket as back up. I bought something used I can beat up and drag around the camp fire whenever I want.

Oh, and don't bring an axe and then accidentally hit yourself in the leg with it.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default unsolicited advice.

welcome, first. don't go out and just buy stuff. don't reinvent the wheel. plenty of people that have gone down the road here. read and sift though the good and bad. learn from peoples missteps and don't repeat them. save time and money. have fun. be safe.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,853 Times in 14,167 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

If you are interested in hiking / camping, I suggest that you volunteer in one of your local Boy Scout troops.

Every troop needs volunteers.

Some troops may only hike once a quarter, while other troops hike every month. Some focus more on foraging and living off-the-land, while others focus on making eagle scouts. What they focus on is largely up to the group of adult volunteers.

It can be a great place to start, and work up to doing 2-week survival hikes.