Just getting started - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG, what have I started??? What do I need? boatycall Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 09-25-2013 06:30 PM
Getting Started... SCAR515 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 07-13-2013 06:00 PM
Getting Started mosin dude Black powder 3 06-25-2013 08:34 AM
Just getting started docfaust New Member Introduction 9 06-18-2013 11:31 PM
Just getting started! thutch15 New Member Introduction 5 01-25-2012 04:18 PM
What got you started? wilhelm Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 24 08-25-2010 02:15 AM
Help me get started. Eli Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 06-17-2010 03:57 PM
and that's how it all started.. RECTIFIER Jokes, Humor & Music 2 06-11-2010 11:08 AM
Where do I get started owner_bsp New Member Introduction 11 05-01-2010 03:17 PM

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Just getting started

Advertise Here

Hi all I have been a member here for awhile and have been looking around for the things that I need to get started only thing that I am having problems with is that I don't have enough money left to invest in good equipment I have found some things on www.cheaperthandirt.com but I don't know if they are good. Here are links to some things that I was going to buy just wanting someones opinion on if they were good if you know some where that I can get the same things for around the same price just let me know. Thanks in advance to all that helps hopefully in the next couple months I can get some more money to be able to buy more but for now I'm adding what I can afford.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MLT9092-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=BAG-178

I will be getting more things added to the pack once I have more money please feel free to give some suggestions for someone on a tight budget
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,593 Times in 658 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

How old are ya, what area of KY you in?

Man it seems to me the very first thing you would want is proper clothing, a swiss army knife or multi tool, and some sort of water bottle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beaterar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 11:42 AM

I am 20 years old I have the clothes and water bottles, not a knife thanks on that one can't believe I forgot that one. I'm in southeastern KY you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,725 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysurvivalist View Post
Hi all I have been a member here for awhile and have been looking around for the things that I need to get started only thing that I am having problems with is that I don't have enough money left to invest in good equipment I have found some things on www.cheaperthandirt.com but I don't know if they are good. Here are links to some things that I was going to buy just wanting someones opinion on if they were good if you know some where that I can get the same things for around the same price just let me know. Thanks in advance to all that helps hopefully in the next couple months I can get some more money to be able to buy more but for now I'm adding what I can afford.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MLT9092-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=BAG-178

I will be getting more things added to the pack once I have more money please feel free to give some suggestions for someone on a tight budget
The Esbit stoves are great for cooking small amounts. The fuel is easy to find and cheap. But you might be better off in some circumstances just making a fire, so be sure to keep several fire starting methods. I have one in my own bug out bag.

As far as the UTG pack. I sell UTG gear and have a lot of experience with it. Their packs are made from PVC rather than nylon. It won't be as soft as nylon, but it's durable and rugged, though they tend to be a bit heavy.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Ok thanks for the info I was planning on buying several firestarters along with the esbit stove i thought that the pack looked like it might be heavy any suggestions on a lighter one?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 152,725 Times in 44,507 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysurvivalist View Post
Ok thanks for the info I was planning on buying several firestarters along with the esbit stove i thought that the pack looked like it might be heavy any suggestions on a lighter one?
Not offhand. I'm more bug in oriented. But you might browse the threads in the urban section. Bug out bags and pack choices have been discussed in depth there many times over. A lot of knowledgable folks in that forum.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Son Of Liberty

Thanked 1,593 Times in 658 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Informative Post 
Total Awards: 2

I am in north central I guess, I near KY speedway.

Man if I was you I would get a good surplus rig, ALICE pack, ALICE gear with canten and so on. It has been my experiance that good surplus gear is hard to beat quality wise and pretty darn cheap.

Focus on the must haves until you get them and then worry about minor stuff like stoves and things like that. You need a good sleeping bag, it dont have to be the lightest or the best but it dose have to work. A simple camouflage tarp dose wonders as a shelter and if need be a rain cover when your on the move. even a piece of black plastic will do but you have to be gentle with it. Decent waterproof footwear, dont cheap to bad on the boots your feet are valuable treat them as such. Good wool or synthetic blend socks, something that even wet will keep them toes warm. good thermal underwear, I use fleece its cheap and works well. Magnesium fire starter, have several ways of making fire and make sure you can use two of them when they are wet. Get as much knowlage as you can, with knowlage you can do without many things, but many things and no knowlage is just a heavy useless load to carry through them hills.

3 minutes in freezing water
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

some decent gear at decent prices.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=667386
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...s.aspx?a=70920
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/...e.aspx?a=40363