Truck, Car, Bicycle, Quad...: What is the best vehicle for a survivalist? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best bug out vehicle or survival vehicle is ....the CJ or Wrangler series vehicles Sped Man Vehicles & Transportation 211 06-19-2019 09:57 PM
Which is better a full size truck/suv or a smaller truck mingo2311 Vehicles & Transportation 143 01-11-2017 12:49 PM
Pickup truck / RV / truck camper idea - need help Proyas Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 38 01-26-2015 05:05 PM
Anyone have a Barnett Quad 400? Peppermint Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 4 10-28-2013 02:25 PM
Started painting my truck $450 truck germantrader10 Vehicles & Transportation 61 07-20-2012 08:03 AM
Best vehicle that is easy/cheap to fix? Truck, Van, or SUV is what I have in mind. jimbo082 Vehicles & Transportation 22 03-20-2012 01:10 AM
Quad for BoV? 72hours Vehicles & Transportation 32 02-26-2012 08:16 AM
Bug out/survival vehicle Truck and Camper? wildcat84 Vehicles & Transportation 47 01-14-2012 09:39 PM
Survivalist Boards car/truck stickers? CrazyUncleJack Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 03-05-2009 05:09 PM
Survivalist Truck Checklist kd7one Vehicles & Transportation 27 05-07-2008 10:52 PM

Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Question Truck, Car, Bicycle, Quad...: What is the best vehicle for a survivalist?

Advertise Here

Hey dear colleagues,
We would like to know what is your favorite vehicle AFTER a disaster happen: What car, truck, quad, motorbike, bicycle or solar invention do you think will help you to survive in a post apocalyptic world? Which mean of transportation can be used regarding resources, efficiency, solidity...?
Looking forward to your answers,
Howard,
from Heirs Of The Wild
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,137 Posts

well, if you've gotten to where you need to be, then just plain old shoe leather.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 45,707 Times in 10,991 Posts

I like helicopters. Not sure why. Maybe it has to do with the fishing trip I took in '94 where the pilot buzzed the trees on the way to the fishing cabin. Freaking cool. He's dead now though. Helicopter crash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 AM

Lightbulb a Discovery or a Pajero...

Cool, sounds funny...
We were wondering if any of you guys got a Discovery or a Pajero running with gas or with hybrid technology.
Feel free to describe your own vehicle and why you have chosen this
Old 02-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Trapper

I currently have a folding bike, utv, atv, prius and an old 5hp mini bike. Been pondering an electric 4x4 using 4 electric bike hubs with 10 speed rims and tires (if i ever get spare cash to burn.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trilect For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Hiker

M1a Abrams
The Following User Says Thank You to deadair For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,150 Posts

I plan to fall back on what I happen to have at that moment;
Since I will be wearing boots walking will be the worst case.
Since I will likely be driving a light duty (civilized) 4wd that will be the primary vehicle if I happen to be away from home.
If at home depending on the disaster I will probably walk short distances and drive longer distances. Bug-in for most disasters; but have prearranged, secure locations, with supplies, should evacuation be required.
If forced to evacuate, from home, I will be driving a well prepped, for difficult terrain, 4wd; and using a mountain bike then shank's mare for backups.

Walking has load carrying, defense and exposure issues;
bicycles/motorcycles/quads have defense and exposure issues, motor vehicles have fuel issues;
Vehicles have fuel issues (which are adequately solved by a moderate amount of forethought).

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,110 Times in 2,682 Posts

Bicycle or , as strvger said , "plain old shoe leather" .
Bicycles can go anywhere a motorized vehicle can go and some places they can't go .
No getting stuck in traffic jambs
Bicycles are relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain and repair
No gas tank to fill .
You can carry a lot of gear on a bike with saddle bags , packs , trailers , etc.
If you had to get off the road or trail and out of sight for some reason , it would be much easier with a bicycle .
No loud motor to signal where you are or where you are going .
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodswalker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Apprentice Geezer

Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,150 Posts

Bicycles do not work well;
in flood conditions
in icy/slippery conditions,
in deep snow,
on big rocks
in deep mud
in deep sugar sand
on steep terrain, especially steep, loose; dirt/sand/gravel terrain (I regularly drive over and up terrain that no one can easily walk on/over, and is difficult to climb over, let alone drive a bicycle over, I have a bike and have tried various terrains as a (dis)proof of concept; beyond a point its simply easier to carry the bike than to try to ride it).
when you need to transport a passenger,
when you are injured.

Bicycles and to some extent motorcycles and quads etc. are very easy to trap/ambush, and are nearly impossible to put up a significant defense from without dismounting.

I could go on, but for me, after consideration of advantages and disadvantages in depth; what can be said is that they can carry bigger loads than walking, in good to fair weather (not necessarily in disaster conditions) and are easier than walking for travel purposes in fair weather in safe, moderately well maintained areas.
Primarily their biggest advantage might be lack of dependency on fuel; but only if fuel were to become excessively expensive for an extended period.

However; if a bike is all you've got; use it.

Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Joe For This Useful Post: