Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Diesel in Kerosene Heaters S610 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 38 02-07-2019 08:39 AM
What is in your survival library? Nitromater Books, Movies & Stories 40 01-02-2019 09:00 PM
Why do you prefer the handgun you do? PalmettoTree Pistol and Revolver Forum 132 12-20-2018 11:03 AM
Just another ammo consolidation thread sabotage39k Firearms General Discussion 116 07-08-2018 12:03 PM
For the EMP "experts" and nuclear preppers paramilusmc Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 86 03-21-2018 01:01 PM

Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Default Field Diesel Recipe

Advertise Here

Does anyone have the formula for making field diesel? I searched on the forum but couldn't find anything. I'm not talking about a biodiesel refiner, rather a combination of ingredients I saw on one of the many pre-2012 survivalist TV shows. The main ingredient was filtered, used vegetable oil but the guy added something containing methanol and maybe drano? I'm sure it isn't the greatest thing for a diesel engine but in a pinch it might be worth trying. Thanks
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2018, 06:16 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 61,129 Times in 18,860 Posts

i think you are talking about meth.

Don't make that stuff, it'll rot yer teeth.

Biodiesel from waste veg oil and methanol.
http://energy.agwired.com/2010/04/26...iesel-at-home/

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...a4717/4332200/
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Wer sind da Gehirnpolizei

Thanked 2,366 Times in 1,271 Posts

Seems to require a lot of energy to heat , wash and filter the concoction. Making a small quantity seems to be innefficient.

Can we run our cars from the steam and vapors from the White House?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:

Old 12-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,257 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
Can we run our cars from the steam and vapors from the White House?
How bout bottling all the hot air on this site!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,052 Times in 2,796 Posts

The most field expedient method I know of to make SVO/WVO work in a diesel engine ( preferably an early pre-CP3 high pressure system version) is to mix it with a small quantity of RUG ( regular unleaded gas ). Generally the lower octane and older the better. Depending on the temperature, you can start with as little as 5% RUG. In very cold climates I have read about people experimenting with as much as 30-40%.

The SVO/WVO should be de-watered as much practical and filtered as fine as possible. A bag filter in a 5 gallon bucket works pretty well if you can install a bulkhead fitting or large funnel on the bottom of the bucket. A bag filter could be vacuum bagged and thrown in a truck for a real emergency situation.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,122 Times in 767 Posts

Field diesel? Never heard of that before.

I used to drive an old beater diesel Benz. I poured used motor oil out of one cars engine straight into the fuel tank. Ran fine. Automatic transmission fluid works too.

I don't reccomend it, and it makes the exhaust smell funny, but it will work.
The Following User Says Thank You to OliverR. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2018, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. The recipe this guy used didn't require any heat. He didn't actually put it in a diesel engine so there's no proof it actually works. The regular biodiesel refining methods as some posters have pointed out may not be practical in a SHTF situation.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM

When you're seeing methanol and Drano, you're looking at "biodiesel" production, or at least an element of it.

I've never heard of "field diesel", that's a new one on me.

However, running vehicles on waste vegetable oil, animal oil, etc is done by many, no need for conversion to "biodiesel". Just find a decent old mechanical injection engine - old 7.3 IDI, M-B OM636, etc. You'll need to run a heating system for the fuel, more than likely, some excellent filtration and a few other things.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,052 Times in 2,796 Posts

In regards to the idea of mixing WVO, lye, and methanol for 'field diesel'. That is basically a poor attempt at making biodiesel through transesterfication. Generally you would want to remove the glycerin that reaction produces and would settle to the bottom of the container. Putting that through an engine would be worse than the WVO in the first place because of the addition of the caustic lye
The Following User Says Thank You to Metcalf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metcalf View Post
In regards to the idea of mixing WVO, lye, and methanol for 'field diesel'. That is basically a poor attempt at making biodiesel through transesterfication. Generally you would want to remove the glycerin that reaction produces and would settle to the bottom of the container. Putting that through an engine would be worse than the WVO in the first place because of the addition of the caustic lye
You've jogged my memory. This is exactly what he did. He used Drano for the lye component. He didn't actually put it in a vehicle lol.