Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
molle 2 on 1606 frame vurtle Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 10 01-06-2015 02:54 PM
Molle II Pack on Alice Frame Raven Reviews and questions 5 07-19-2014 01:11 PM
MOLLE Ruck Frame Question the cow Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 11 12-17-2012 10:09 PM
Metal MOLLE II frame? TheWoodsman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 2 10-17-2012 10:21 PM
MOLLE frame shoulder straps in the UK andyhuk British Isles and ROI 0 03-28-2012 04:37 PM
Molle II vs Standard Frame Packs. HikerJohn Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 4 01-05-2011 05:42 PM
Molle Pack on Alice Frame cmitchca Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 12-26-2010 08:21 PM
Molle pack with aftermarket frame USMC SNIPER Reviews and questions 4 05-09-2010 11:46 PM
1st gen. molle rucksack frame? 1fishhead Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 14 02-28-2010 08:35 PM
Molle II w/ frame a mistake for a girl? breeze07 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 10-25-2008 02:19 AM

Old 04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,635 Posts
Default Molle II frame.

Advertise Here

To all those currently/former US servicemen and women out there i got a question.

Will the molle II assault pack attach directly to the molle II frame? I'm building a setup based around fitting the gear directly to the frame (which i have) and don't have an opportunity to try theses things in person before i buy, so i gotta ask here. Hope its not a silly question, the 'instructions' are vague at best.

Anyone here in the know?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 09:23 AM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Thanked 1,337 Times in 584 Posts

Yes it will. It's kind of over kill to do so though. I used to put a thick piece of foam in the slot closest to my back and it gave the assault pack much more support and comfort. To attach the assault to the frame by itself might be, imho, a bit much. Unless you are going to lash more stuff to the frame for modular purposes. I'm a die hard molle guy, anything you need to know just ask!
The Following User Says Thank You to TimHaar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

I couldn't tell from the post if you already have your frame or not. If not, make sure it's the gen4. The previous ones are a bit flimsy and tend to break. Also, I have the large rifleman Ruck with internal sleep system.(it's my avatar actually) . And I love it. I use my assault pack on short weekend outings and have probably racked up a couple hundred miles running with it on my back full of bricks (30-40 lbs) and it hasn't even started to fail me. The assault pack is a tank.
I have only attached the assault pack onto the main pack a couple times. I just never needed that much gear.
I would also suggest getting a modular buttpack from condor or the likes. They strap right to the bottom and give you alot more room to store stuff.
I could go all day so I'll quit before this turns into a molle novel!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Target Shooter

+1 to replacing the frame with a Gen 4. Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet has NIB ones for around $15 right now. I replaced a broken Gen 2 one recently, and the superiority of the new design is evident.

Tim: I've got the older woodland MOLLE2 rifleman ruck and patrol pack (the one that looks like the assault pack, but doesn't have the waistbelt). Any pointers about how it "docks" to the ruck and frame? I've got the MOLLE2 Care and Use manual, but it doesn't really explain how to do it.

It seems to me that the two short straps on top of the patrol pack are used to attach to the top of the frame, but I'm not sure how the bottom connects.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost792 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Winter is coming.

Yeah, i made sure i got a Gen 4 frame. Less than $5 on *bay, complete with desert sand on it!

You're right Timhaar, i'm planning on strapping additional kit to the frame and then having the assault pack as a possible 'away from camp' bag if it attaches on/off the frame quickly.

In fact my initial plan was to get a Kifaru Cargo Panel and use that to hold everything to the frame.

I think that would be the most versatile setup, but my finances have taken a hit lately so i'm exploring other options.

BTW how big is the assault pack in litres or cubic inches? It looks around 30lt from photos, but i'd rather be sure.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Ghost,
your right about the top and how it attaches. The bottom is a little tricky. There will be two female fastex buckles (without their mates) on the bottom of the patrol pack. these are supposed to attach to the rucks two main straps to secure it all in place as one unit. The kicker is, all the molle riflemen rucks that I have seen have female buckles on the bottom. So they can't mate together. If yours is this way, there are a couple ways people have been able to secure the bottom.
1) use the lower sets of fastex buckles on each side of the patrol pack and secure them around the main packs longest straps. That's works OK.
2) simply switch the main straps fastex buckles to have the male coming up from the bottom and put the female on top. This is what I did and it works great.

Do you have, or are you planning on using the mss carrier as well? If so, you can always use those buckles and straps to secure it all together as well. That is how the system was originally supposed to work. They are supposed to attach to eachother instead of having independent buckles specifically for the patrol and assault packs.
Hope this helps. If any of my babbling didn't make sense please feel free to ask me about it!

Papa whiskey,
Looks like the gen4 even has a bonus layer of desert dust still on it for ya!
I'm sure you figured out how to attach the top to the frame already. Theres pretty much only one way to do that. The bottom, will utilize your waist belt. I run the waist belt around the frame, then take each end and run them through the two big holes in the frame right under the shoulder strap back pad. Then I run them down and back out through the lowest holes directly behind kidney pad and buckle them there.
I would post pics but am on my phone right now. If this doesnt make sense just let me know and I'll find a way to take some pics and post them. I did this when I got home from work and think I'm going to give this setup another try. (The shoulder straps and kidney belt are just too comfortable!)

I've been eying that kifaru myself for awhile. But I have too much gear the way it is.( If there is such a thing as too much gear. .) Good luck man, let me know how it works for you.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Almost forgot, the capacity of the assault pack is just under 45 liters. (44.7 to be exact). In other words, much more room than expected. If I remember correctly it is 18H, 14W, 10D
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanks Tim

Thats probably a bit big actually. I'll keep looking.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHaar View Post
Ghost,
your right about the top and how it attaches. The bottom is a little tricky. There will be two female fastex buckles (without their mates) on the bottom of the patrol pack. these are supposed to attach to the rucks two main straps to secure it all in place as one unit. The kicker is, all the molle riflemen rucks that I have seen have female buckles on the bottom. So they can't mate together. If yours is this way, there are a couple ways people have been able to secure the bottom.
1) use the lower sets of fastex buckles on each side of the patrol pack and secure them around the main packs longest straps. That's works OK.
2) simply switch the main straps fastex buckles to have the male coming up from the bottom and put the female on top. This is what I did and it works great.

Do you have, or are you planning on using the mss carrier as well? If so, you can always use those buckles and straps to secure it all together as well. That is how the system was originally supposed to work. They are supposed to attach to eachother instead of having independent buckles specifically for the patrol and assault packs.
Hope this helps. If any of my babbling didn't make sense please feel free to ask me about it!
Yea, that makes sense. I have the MOLLE waistpack on the bottom of my patrol pack, so I used the male buckles on that to clip to the female buckles on the main lid straps of the ruck. Then, I used the female side to clip to the male buckles on the bottom of the ruck. That gives it six points of attachment, so it should hold well.

I also figured out how to connect it to my ALICE pack in place of the CFP-90 patrol pack I had there previously.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost792 View Post
Yea, that makes sense. I have the MOLLE waistpack on the bottom of my patrol pack, so I used the male buckles on that to clip to the female buckles on the main lid straps of the ruck. Then, I used the female side to clip to the male buckles on the bottom of the ruck. That gives it six points of attachment, so it should hold well.

I also figured out how to connect it to my ALICE pack in place of the CFP-90 patrol pack I had there previously.
Are you using a standard Alice frame when you use the Alice pack? Funny you brought that up. I JUST got my old Alice out and was thinking about using it this weekend. I'm headed out right after work tomorrow and coming home Sunday evening.

Also, how do you like the cfp90? I never had to use one. My local milsurp has one but it's a knockoff.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHaar View Post
Are you using a standard Alice frame when you use the Alice pack? Funny you brought that up. I JUST got my old Alice out and was thinking about using it this weekend. I'm headed out right after work tomorrow and coming home Sunday evening.

Also, how do you like the cfp90? I never had to use one. My local milsurp has one but it's a knockoff.
I've been building up a new medium ALICE with a DEI 1606AC. I haven't actually taken it out yet. I used a large ALICE Hellcat last year with the stock frame and it was okay, but I couldn't keep the frame from digging into my back no matter how I packed it.

In fact, I bought my MOLLE ruck system as a parts source for that Hellcat mod. I've since decided to put it back together to replace the large ALICE as my fall/winter pack. It looks a little strange, since I'm mixing woodland and UCP camo, but that shouldn't matter as much in the winter.

Actually, don't have the CFP-90, just the patrol pack. I've alway thought it was an interesting pack, but the strap attachment system concerns me because of its reputation for being a weak point.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Prepared

I prefer the ILBE Gen 2 over the Army MOLLE Ruck/Assault. But, looks like a interesting idea you got going on with that frame. I'd love to see more on it.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaWhiskyBravo View Post
Thanks Tim

Thats probably a bit big actually. I'll keep looking.
Its about the size of a big school backpack. One thing about size though, they have compression straps on the sides so you can make it smaller if you wanted. And the front pocket is where alot of those liters go in the overall size. The front pocket is probably about a fifth of the capacity. So that alone is decent size. And it's built like a tank. Most durable pack I've ever owned. (they come in multicam now too!)
Hope you find what your looking for!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Winter is coming.

I've been playing with a few ideas using gear laying around and i'm loving this frame. The options for lashing, strapping or duct taping kit onto this are only limited by your imagination. Here's a few pics from my doodling.

Handy spot for the ol' kukri machete. Out of sight and easy to reach.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Man that's a great idea. Your making me want to strip mine down and start messing with stuff myself!
what kind of pack is that you have on there now? And is that about the size your looking for? If budget is an issue, surplus is definitely the best option. But if it's not, I'd look at some of the eberlstock or tactical tailor packs. I've noticed alot more smaller modular packs coming out lately. Camelback has some nice ones as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Taactical Tailor has a pack called the "removable operator pack" I think it might be about the size your looking for. And it's under a hundred bucks.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Winter is coming.

Its a $9 cloth satchel. I've fitted another of the same type just below it (after I posted the pics). They'll work great for the short term as I get to know how the frame rides and experiment a little with it, but aren't really durable enough for the long term as they hold moisture.

I'm thinking butt packs x2 maybe another option at this point and yes, i'll be going the surplus route to save bucks.

I gotta get out and lug the thing around a bit first. Get to know her before I spend more on the gal!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.

Quote:
Its a $9 cloth satchel. I've fitted another of the same type just below it (after I posted the pics). They'll work great for the short term as I get to know how the frame rides and experiment a little with it, but aren't really durable enough for the long term as they hold moisture.

I'm thinking butt packs x2 maybe another option at this point and yes, i'll be going the surplus route to save bucks.

I gotta get out and lug the thing around a bit first. Get to know her before I spend more on the gal!
When I was finally able to switch from Alice to molle it was a game changer on how much weight I could carry comfortably. With the Alice, it was tolerable. When I first used the molle it was actually COMFORTABLE. I've loaded those rucks well past they're recommended capabilities and never had issues.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Winter is coming.

I've gone on a couple of short hikes with my gear strapped to the frame and am really very happy. The weight sits comfortably on the hips (unlike a few military packs I've tried) and there is plenty of air circulation space on the back. Heaps of real estate to strap gear to and I've managed to fit a civvy 30lt pack to the frame along with my light weight swag in a dry bag. Fitted an old ALICE GI flask easily to the molle belt and a molle "bits and pieces" pouch too.

Another question for anyone that may be in the know....

What's the capacity of the Sleep System Carrier? I'm thinking it may be the right size as a tucker bag.

TimHaar

I'd love to see those pics of your set up when you get the time. Always looking for more ideas!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:

What's the capacity of the Sleep System Carrier? I'm thinking it may be the right size as a tucker bag.
1500 cubic inches or about 25L