Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a Survival Pack/Day Pack/Hike Pack - Camelbak, Kelty & North Face Smith28 Urban Survival 66 09-15-2016 01:37 PM
Help Improve my Arsenal Belifend Firearms General Discussion 45 01-02-2015 09:51 PM
How do you Improve a Spring? swede4198 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 21 01-01-2014 03:22 PM
How would you improve this? Arsenul Urban Survival 20 01-05-2013 07:29 PM
Chest pack, waist pack, pack mods, rifle carrier azb Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 25 12-07-2011 08:03 PM
Improve this USK. Crowbar Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 04-28-2011 03:38 AM
How can I improve accuracy? chipmunk Firearms General Discussion 16 11-06-2010 03:04 PM

Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,125 Times in 5,314 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost792 View Post
It's interesting that the FILBE went back to a MOLLE II-esque shoulder harness and hip belt. I can hardly wait for those to enter the surplus market because I have serious lust in my heart for a set to try out on a 1606AC-framed Hellcat.

On topic, I remember when the CFP-90 was first issued. It made a big splash because it was the first modern US military ruck to have an internal frame and a detachable sub-pack. It seemed like it didn't last long in the system, though, and was issued only for cold-weather use. I've always wondered about that. Is it because of the early production issues or did the design of the pack not meet the military's expectations?

In any case, the CFP-90 looks like a fun pack to modify, and it should be really nice for BOB/camping use.

I didn't see this mentioned in the thread (pardon me if I missed it), but Tactical Tailor offers a boatload of mods for the ALICE ruck, similar to the ones the OP is proposing here. I wonder if they would be willing to apply some of those to a CFP-90.

As for a CFP-90 source, though they don't have any right now, Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet did have NIB ones about a month ago for about $100. If you're looking for one, I'd keep an eye out there to see if any more show up.
Not sure the bold part is true. I always thought they were for desert shield/storm.

Although I got mine for all my cold weather gear, so maybe it was originally for that reason.
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Target Shooter

That was just the impression I got, but I didn't serve, so it's just what I picked up from various sources. I have seen the cold weather issue referenced in quite a few places, though. It might also bee something that was highly dependent on individual units.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost792 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
Not sure the bold part is true. I always thought they were for desert shield/storm.

Although I got mine for all my cold weather gear, so maybe it was originally for that reason.
I'd read somewhere that the reason it wasn't fully adopted was because it failed the army's one size fits all policy, some people say it didn't fit the total load of gear that our boys in extreme cold weather were issued, and thus was pitched for MOLLE.
The Following User Says Thank You to stabnshoot For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 04:21 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabnshoot View Post
I managed to find a CFP-90 pack in excellent condition on eBay for under 80 bucks, and would like some assistance in modifying this to fit my needs.

As far as my own ideas for mods, I've reached the end of them.

Again, any and all suggestions are welcome.
Thought you'd appreciate this if you haven't seen it yet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJKNYthrv64
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr4-NMxapZU
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM

I believe the CFP-90 was indeed designed for cold weather/ mountain use. One of the places they were tested was the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center in the Sierra Nevada. Instructors had them when I went there in 90. The originals were made to a much higher standard than the production version. They were actually made by Lowe Alpine. Everything about the originals was better, including the Lowe ladder adjustment system, which was replaced by the sorry plastic track.

When we were finally issued the production version in late 92 (I think) we were sorely disappointed to find the packs fell apart. Buckles broke, the harness pulled out of the track, and stitching came out. Even the shoulder straps on the patrol pack were too short for many Marines.

Once you get the harness adjusted, consider sewing the straps in place so you won't have to worry about them pulling out of the track.

If you get a good one, it will be more comfortable and practical than an ALICE, but the ILBE is better in every respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to thug hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thug hunter View Post
I believe the CFP-90 was indeed designed for cold weather/ mountain use. One of the places they were tested was the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Center in the Sierra Nevada. Instructors had them when I went there in 90. The originals were made to a much higher standard than the production version. They were actually made by Lowe Alpine. Everything about the originals was better, including the Lowe ladder adjustment system, which was replaced by the sorry plastic track.

When we were finally issued the production version in late 92 (I think) we were sorely disappointed to find the packs fell apart. Buckles broke, the harness pulled out of the track, and stitching came out. Even the shoulder straps on the patrol pack were too short for many Marines.

Once you get the harness adjusted, consider sewing the straps in place so you won't have to worry about them pulling out of the track.

If you get a good one, it will be more comfortable and practical than an ALICE, but the ILBE is better in every respect.
I've got a connection on another forum with someone who purchased one of the CFP-90 prototypes on ebay, and he's going to his best to document the original shoulder strap system.

Yeah that's typically the report, due to the fact that F.C.I. failed to use mil-spec materials in their packs. Any other manufacturer made decent and still used CFP-90s.

I also found this:

Really kicking myself but then I looked at the $200 price tag. This pack is virtually what I'm looking for. It most definitely has CFP-90 roots but has a ton of modern features.
The Following User Says Thank You to stabnshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 AM

Alright guys, I need some advice. The pack has 3 of these cord locks on it which I find to be a PITA to reattach now that I've replaced the gutted paracord type rope they use for the snow collar, lid and false bottom with regular stranded paracord.

Should I keep these on here or replace them with some standard cord locks?

Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Alright guys, I need some advice. The pack has 3 of these cord locks on it which I find to be a PITA to reattach now that I've replaced the gutted paracord type rope they use for the snow collar, lid and false bottom with regular stranded paracord.

My opinion? Might as well do it now. Upgrade. You won't regret it.
Replace them with standard cordlocks that you can later on replace if you have to.
I replaced all the fasteners on my ALICE Hellcat with Fastex Field Expedient Buckles.
Not cordlocks, but hopefully, you'll get the gist...

Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 AM

The CFP 90 is a great pack. I was issued one for mountain warfare school and for a deployment to Afghanistan. We called them Vector packs. I have one in great condition in my storage room. I thought about trying to modify it but didn't want to run the risk of jacking it up. It is hard to come by the legit US issued ones these days.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

I like the flat cordlocks better than the barrel style because they seem to hold up to use better. The barrel ones have a small spring inside that can break or become dislodged which makes them no longer hold tight.

+1 one the suggestion to replace the metal webbing tensioners with the modern fastex. Like Sir Thrivalist said, get a set of fasteners designed for field expedient repairs. They are sloted so you don't need to cut or unstitch any webbing. You can get an entire set for under $10.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Dub View Post
The CFP 90 is a great pack. I was issued one for mountain warfare school and for a deployment to Afghanistan. We called them Vector packs. I have one in great condition in my storage room. I thought about trying to modify it but didn't want to run the risk of jacking it up. It is hard to come by the legit US issued ones these days.
I knew we didn't call them CFP-90s back then, but couldn't remember the name. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 AM

Ok I've got a bit of a problem.

I purchased some new ITW Nexus "Cordlocs" and all of them appear to be non-functional.

The spring is bound up on the plunger portion and the plunger moves freely up and down without any spring tension.

I'm not sure if these are broken or if I need to pop the springs down or something.

here's the ebay auction for reference pictures, you can see the state I'm talking about in the pictures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140903594130...84.m1439.l2648
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 AM

Nevermind, apparently ITW Nexus CordLocs have a feature where you thread whatever cordage you like through it, and press down hard on the plunger which releases the spring, making it easier to install.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 AM

Today I received some LC-2 shoulder straps in the mail for the patrol pack, but I'm not sure which way the ends are supposed to be facing.

The straps I'm referring to are probably a little different then the ones most of you are used to:

As opposed to the standard style:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
I have two CFPs. They are good, solid packs and when properly packed and organized they will haul a LOT of stuff. I don't know if yours came with the repair kit, but both of mine did. A zip-loc bag full of replacement buckles, and a VHS tape.
Thanks for the info Paladin, neither of the two I bought came with repair kits or a VHS, could you post a picture of the repair kit?

I'd like to reconstruct it and use it as a base for my own gear repair kit.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:59 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Today I received some LC-2 shoulder straps in the mail for the patrol pack, but I'm not sure which way the ends are supposed to be facing.

The straps I'm referring to are probably a little different then the ones most of you are used to:

Top pic is correct. Quick-release buckles always go at the bottom.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:

As opposed to the standard style:

The straps should be marked "left" and "right". All of the LC-2 straps that I've seen have the bottom ends pointing away from the wearer. I'm pretty sure the sternum straps in the picture around facing the wrong way. They just need to be rotated around the pad.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM

Not sure about the ones that have known problems. Mine is from Foxoutdoor. I am assuming it's either a Taiwan, or Korean make. I have seen bad ones in the past, but mine is pretty darn tough, and well built except for the way the straps lock in at the top of the pack. On mine the buckles broke. I used Alice clips as a fix though. I still want to do something different with the way the straps work at the top though.

I don't need the near infinite adjustment. Thinking of just sewing the straps direct to the pack itself.

It is a fairly comfortable pack with 70ish pounds in it or less. It gets a bit difficult of I go over 75 though.

My goal is 50, to a max of 65 once I get all my gear sorted out.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Target Shooter

Fun little tidbit. The patrol pack from the CFP-90 can be used as a detachable pack with the alice ruck. I just bought a patrol pack with the intent to hack it for use with my new hellcat. Turns out, the one i ordered came with a retrofit kit to do just that. The kit is 6 fastex Ws, two o-rings and two short straps. The Ws attach to the lid straps of the alice pack and let the patrol pack clip in. The two short straps attach to the metal buckles on the alice that cinch the lid straps to convert them to opening with side opening fastex buckles. Pretty neat little mod that was apparently "official" at some point.

Last edited by ghost792; 02-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: fixing autocorrect typos
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost792 View Post
Fun little tidbit. The patrol pack from the CFP-90 can be used as a detachable pack with the alice ruck. I just bought a patrol pack with the intent to hack it for use with my new hellcat. Turns out, the one i ordered came with a retrofit kit to do just that. The kit is 6the fastex Ws, two orings and two short straps. The Ws attach to the lid straps of the alice pack and let the patrol pack clip in. The two short straps attach to the metal buckles on the alice that cinch the lid straps to convert them to opening with side opening fastex buckles. Pretty neat little mod that was apparently "official" at some point.
On mine, I did not get the patrol pack. Instead I added 2 pouched to the outside for quick grab items, like rain poncho or bug spray. I have them attached via alice clips, so I can transfer them to a belt if I want. This gives me just enough carry capacity for super bare minimum kit if I employ all my BDU pockets as well...and it saves a bit of weight.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Target Shooter

The patrol pack on its own is pretty neat. Might be a worthwhile purchase for you. It does have some webbing for attaching other ALICE pouches, too, so you could still have the bare essentials kit attached.