Survivalist Forum banner

Seeds

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  dragon6banger 
#1 ·
A few months back, when I woke up in a cold sweat about the future of the dollar and started prepping seriously, the first thing I did was bought a bucket of various organic seeds from a vendor. Now, I'm Scottish; I don't part with money lightly, so I did whatever research I could, although this was before I even knew about this forum, so I was winging it. But the bucket that I bought got decent reviews. We'll see, I imagine.

An LDS friend of mine from college (with whom I reconnected over the subject of prepping a few weeks after I bought the bucket) said not to go for the big seed assortments, to buy individual packets of heirloom seeds from a reputable vendor (like Baker Creek, IIRC) and, of course, grow and save my own from my garden (which is on the agenda for this next year and henceforth). Duly noted. It's on the agenda.

But I've met a few people who are interested, and so I thought I'd ask; just as a starter, and as a baseline to get a newbie (someone newbier than me, even) into having seeds in stock fast, is there a good starter kit anyone would recommend?

#3 ·
I buy seeds of what I will eat.
No since having lots of beet seeds when no one here will eat them,okra blah no one here likes them.
You also pick up heirloom seeds at walmart and doller general type places.Pick what you will eat and learn to grow as well.
No sence having all those seeds and not know how to grow em.
nothing wrong with hybrids they just wont be like the parent plant from saved seeds.

#6 ·
I've never read a review from a person who purchased a Bucket-o-Seeds assortment. I attribute that to Bucket-o-Seeds buyers generally never bothering to put them to use, and I would bet the people selling them count on that being the case.

If you want to grow, pick the things you like to eat and give them a try. It doesn't need to be complicated. Don't worry about getting it perfect, or choosing the perfect variety the first time. The first several seasons are practice, and about learning - which is why you want to do it now, not after the fact.

If you want a "seed bank" do the same - buy a few packets of several staples you eat lots of. Pack them in an airtight container, and pop it in the freezer or a cool dark cabinet. Don't let someone else decide that you need ten thousand turnip seeds for $49.

#8 ·
I purchased a bucket variety pack from Bakers Creek, which I live close to and have been to their facility and was very satisfied with the variety and am planning on trying most of them this spring. You get the best bang for the buck in buying them that way and a great variety. If things get bad I am sure you'll be glad to have whatever seeds you have.

#9 ·
well the first thing you need to figure out is your growing zone,,,then look at some online sites or catalogs for foods you like and that will make in your area,,,im not a fan of the bucket deals,,,they usualy are overpriced and filled mostly with seeds you realy dont want for survival,,,lots of stuff like lettuce ,,ect

your going to want beans,,,root crops [carrots,, beets,,spuds,, ect],,squash,,grains[corn,,wheat,,barley]

#12 ·
took the words right outa my mouth. you can buy a bucket of seeds from anywhere but if 3/4s of them wont grow in you growing zone they are no good at all and a waste of money..i would find a good supplier of hireloom seeds of stuff the family likes and that will grow easily in your area and start there..you could also get into a greenhouse pretty cheap and extend your growing season or grow something in it your not able to in your regular garden.like i keep hot peppers growing year around in mine cause somethings are just better fresh..also note that beans right from the store can be sprouted an grown so that is an option as well. if you dont eat them now you can grow them later. but having seeds is a great idea but you must know how to grow them as well because having a garden is great but once you start you realize its a lot of work into having one..either way maybe one of us here has toldyou something you wanted to hear good luck with all you do..plus keep us posted we love pictures to...

#10 ·
I would make your own bucket. Use plants you like. Maybe include a few newbies.

Remember, most of these buckets that give you so many 1000s of seeds... most of them are like lettuce/onion/carrot seeds, and the real stuff that you need a lot of, like beans and corn and squash you get very few seeds.

Your best bet is to get lots of seeds of what already grows for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.