Gave my notice at work today... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2020, 11:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,161 Times in 5,471 Posts
Default Gave my notice at work today...

Advertise Here

In 2 weeks I am out for good, retired. I was supposed to go out on 4/30, but the asshats I work for are putting us on 4 ten-hour days. AND we have to work weekends or parts of them. Work 4, off 3, rinse, repeat. I have hard enough time doing 8 hours a day with my injuries.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,308 Times in 1,305 Posts

I worked 4 - 10s for years. It spoils you. you can't go back to 5 - 8s after 4 -10s.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,285 Posts

Congratulations!!!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sneeky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
I worked 4 - 10s for years. It spoils you. you can't go back to 5 - 8s after 4 -10s.
I hurt when I roll out of bed. 8 hours is my limit with the pain medication I get, which is less and less over the previous years. The hours have changed in line with the virus, I say if they cannot give us a safe work place with normal hours, close it up.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,835 Times in 20,654 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Wish I could retire some day. I'll be working until I drop (unless I find a million bucks along the road some day).

Anyway ... enjoy the rest of your life. Go fishing for me!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Socially Distant

Thanked 13,642 Times in 2,434 Posts

Welcome to retirement... for many it can be the best time of their lives.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,817 Times in 695 Posts

I retired 2 years ago and have never looked back. Yeah, I would have more money if I was working, but I just make things work.
As far as 10 hr days, that is a bitch till ya get used to it. We used to go to 4 10's during summer, then back to 5 day when school started. Just as you get used to the 10 hr day, they go back.
Odd shifts were so much easier back in my 20's, not so much now. Plus, as you, I deal with pain everyday so retirement fits nicely. Good luck farticus, Im rootin for ya!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,835 Times in 20,654 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgy54 View Post
I retired 2 years ago and have never looked back. Yeah, I would have more money if I was working, but I just make things work.
As far as 10 hr days, that is a bitch till ya get used to it. We used to go to 4 10's during summer, then back to 5 day when school started. Just as you get used to the 10 hr day, they go back.
Odd shifts were so much easier back in my 20's, not so much now. Plus, as you, I deal with pain everyday so retirement fits nicely. Good luck farticus, Im rootin for ya!

I've been working 12 hours a day, 5 days a week (and usually two to three hours on Saturday) since I was made the manager here. And I'm salary and don't get any overtime pay. I was promised a good raise after 6 months in this position. I'm half-way there. We'll see if they keep their promise. I'll be outta here if they don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:19 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,326 Times in 4,367 Posts

I retired at 50, eight years ago. I run a side, computer business, and do what I want. Enjoy your retirement, and Congratulations!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 12:44 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,170 Posts

22 months ago I evaded an animal, running my motorcycle off the road and slamming into some cattle pens. Broken neck, Broken back, 5 broken ribs, 4 cracked ribs and torn MCL in left knee.

Even with very robust PT and an ongoing exercise program with cardio and weight lifting, my thoracic still hurts..... so I understand what you are talking about. I can't lie on my back on a hard floor without discomfort.

If I were 30 days from retirement, where I could stay at home and away from people..... I would do it also. At least right now during COVID.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
22 months ago I evaded an animal, running my motorcycle off the road and slamming into some cattle pens. Broken neck, Broken back, 5 broken ribs, 4 cracked ribs and torn MCL in left knee.

Even with very robust PT and an ongoing exercise program with cardio and weight lifting, my thoracic still hurts..... so I understand what you are talking about. I can't lie on my back on a hard floor without discomfort.

If I were 30 days from retirement, where I could stay at home and away from people..... I would do it also. At least right now during COVID.
I have a neck and thoracic injury from a car accident in 2011. I have had a lot of ESI injections that marginally worked, actually a neck RFA from 2018 is still working.

I go to the gym on a regular basis. I competed in weight lifting competitions until my wife got sick with cancer in 2013.

I can move around well if I am medicated. When I had to install the engine in my hot rod in 2016, I saved up pain pills for that. So I suffer but try to keep moving. I cannot wait to be out of this place. We have lots of people working from home and a cleaning crew that comes in every weekend to do a "deep" cleaning. We have had 2 go out with the virus, 1 we know, the other is a mystery and works in another building.

My GF was tested last week, no virus. But at least 9 in her area at work have the virus and many others are sick showing symptoms of something. I was sick when we went to Florida in early March, she was sick after, not quite the same as what I had, maybe we both had the virus. One she works with tested +, no fever and only slight symptoms.

I will rest better being not at work. I stay out of the stores, don't socialize past my kids and the cats. My one son works for the schools, buildings & grounds. They are being paid to stay home for at least another week.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:37 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 3,159 Times in 897 Posts

Congratulations on your retirement. Do you have plans for what you want to do now?

I sympathize with the pain issue. I have chronic pain and frequent nausea but am blessed to be able to work at home, from my home office. I still have to get out and make the rounds about once a month, but in the past month I've been doing it over the phone and will be doing so until the virus danger passes.

I look forward to the time I don't have to do this anymore and can devote most of my time to my other interests and endeavors.

But congratulations again to you. I hope you have some fun and satisfying things to do. I'm envious!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 57,986 Times in 13,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I've been working 12 hours a day, 5 days a week (and usually two to three hours on Saturday) since I was made the manager here. And I'm salary and don't get any overtime pay. I was promised a good raise after 6 months in this position. I'm half-way there. We'll see if they keep their promise. I'll be outta here if they don't.
That was my reason for never wanting to be salaried. They think they own you and don't have to pay for it. My time is worth more than their money.

We all have X hours on this earth and more money won't buy any more of it.

===

To the OP, retirement is the best. You'll never have to wake up to an alarm clock again.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 04:41 PM
Wildlife Proctologist

Thanked 6,053 Times in 1,531 Posts

Congrats on retirement!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:43 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,807 Times in 9,539 Posts

There was a Kratom thread on here some time ago, I tried it on my husband and WOW overall huge pain relief. The head shops that sell it locally are still open.

I had a salary job once with a horrible boss, who, looking back, was almost certainly bipolar. I was worried about working for my husband she eliminated all that.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:00 PM
BASS

Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,274 Posts

I had to retire. My body was spent..... I am still paying the bill for Spent!
Lower back spine operation; both shoulders operated on; a part of my upper thorax they cannot operate on. I was told it is, "To dangerous. Live with the pain until you cannot stand it anymore". Mid-thorax they want to put , "implants in with wires and electrical...... I won't do it. My meds only "help some". But not enough. I am sure your pain is 24/7 like mine.
Stay strong, BASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post

Old 04-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,081 Times in 2,990 Posts

Congratulations. I became disabled working in the oilfield at 33. I struggled almost 20 years with not being able to work. I loved working physically. NEVER look back!
Old 04-01-2020, 06:35 PM
I give up

Thanked 21,841 Times in 5,592 Posts

One possible situation:

I'm giving my 2 weeks notice, if you need to find me during the next two weeks, I'll be at home......

Due to the emergency, I suggest you consider the safety aspect of doing the above!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,980 Times in 1,496 Posts

Congrats! Don't do what dh and I did, start a business after retiring. I work hours like I did in my 30's. Forget anything fun. Enjoy life, take it from someone who messed up.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,368 Times in 11,703 Posts

Retiring is a great achievement! Congrats!