Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-03-2020, 09:21 AM
The river flows

Thanked 1,431 Times in 562 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Keep topping off the supplies. If you don't, you might wish you had.
Definitely!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 09:22 AM
The river flows

Thanked 1,431 Times in 562 Posts

Here in southern Ontario, one cannot get a slot from any supermarket to get food delivered. We've been trying for two weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 09:25 AM
boringly normal

Thanked 1,216 Times in 276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Keep topping off the supplies. If you don't, you might wish you had.
This is my opinion as well, in Northern NY.

walmart.com has almost no food to send to you, when back in Early/mid February I could get anything non-fresh and non refrigerator, quickly and at competitive prices.

Amazon pantry? Almost useless now too, compared to the old normal.

I did 'curbside pickup' for two weeks, instacart delivery for a week - they are both now almost useless, taking 10 days, and who knows what time of day they'll shop for you? Time of day matters, now.

Anyway - those of you not in a hot spot state? three months supplies is not enough, in my opinion. I wish I had 6. I am for damned sure trying my best to hold at 3!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DenimDave For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 10:19 AM
Lost in the Woods

Thanked 1,759 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimDave View Post
This is my opinion as well, in Northern NY.

walmart.com has almost no food to send to you, when back in Early/mid February I could get anything non-fresh and non refrigerator, quickly and at competitive prices.

Amazon pantry? Almost useless now too, compared to the old normal.

I did 'curbside pickup' for two weeks, instacart delivery for a week - they are both now almost useless, taking 10 days, and who knows what time of day they'll shop for you? Time of day matters, now.

Anyway - those of you not in a hot spot state? three months supplies is not enough, in my opinion. I wish I had 6. I am for damned sure trying my best to hold at 3!
We are fortunate here at the ranch is that we have many years of supplies that walk around and keep the grass and bushes trimmed up

The problem gets to be that some of those walking packages are huge and you need to be able to process them quickly and have a place to store it all without having it spoil. We can manage those 20-200 lb packages, its the 1000+ pounders that would be an issue.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fastowl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,884 Times in 1,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastowl View Post
Well I have not been off the ranch for over a month now. Today we put in an order at one of the nearest HEB's for customer pickup; most of what we wanted appears to be in stock. Earliest was next Wednesday. And I say nearest; its 85 miles away. Only closer big grocery store is a WM about 50 miles away. As long as we have to travel might as well go where we like the products and prices better.

Now the question was raised why go out at all. Theoretically we are good for 2-3 months before we need to harvest some walking supplies on the ranch but the menu variety along the way would be getting limited. But more importantly we have concerns that the curve models that we are seeing puts a pretty large number of Texans still infected into June. Right now in our neck of the woods there is little to no infections reported. So on a risk profile basis better now rather than later and we will not need to go into any stores or really have any human contact on this trip.

We will see how this goes as it will be the first time we have done one of these curbside pickup deals.
Be prepared for an extended wait, or complete cancellation. Honestly depends upon how busy the particular stores curbside is.

There not set up yet for the massive influx of users of the system.

Coworker had hers markedly delayed on Friday (a week ago) at a N California WM, so much so that she just went and did her own shop in under a half an hour. She got everything on her order, plus tossed in a few extras.

Her order was placed earlier in the week, Monday / Tuesday, if I recall correctly. And they have a 40 minute drive to that store.

Seems that this store someone had called in a threat of some kind the evening before, so all workers had to evacuate & such. Supposedly. So that surely had an affect on all orders being picked.

She was able to cancel the order/charges.

Anyways, just mentioning to have a book & to also bring your list, just in case.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,820 Times in 9,545 Posts

Trip was OK but the ride home was a PITA.

Store had everything but wet wipes, tp, and not many tampons. Everything else even bleach on hand.

Took a Uber each way (cleaner than a Yellow cab), ride home wouldn't "let" me put my groceries in the trunk? WTF? I was NOT HAPPY. I didn't say much but it had her calling headquarters to try to get ahead of the bad review I was about to leave.

After I calmed down at home I gave her 4 stars out of 5 (she was there fast, and got me home safe) and a $3 tip instead of the $5 I had planned. The app asked me why I only left 4 stars and I checked "professionalism".

When I hire a vehicle I am hiring the WHOLE vehicle. What if I was with my husband and we needed the trunk for his wheelchair?

He decided he doesn't want to be a vegetarian but we did need more headphones and cat treats. And I got some beer, they had Newcastle Brown Ale. I used to love that. I got some canned goods as well, not a whole lot but some.

They even had a fair selection of ramen noodles.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 03:58 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,693 Times in 370 Posts

Our beloved Texas grocery chain HEB, at least in the Houston market, has teamed up with some local restaurants. The restaurants are preparing to-go orders, and they are available for purchase in the grocery store already packed, cooked, and ready to bring home.

I think it's very cool- and helps out the restaurants after the no dining inside order.

HEB already had a version of this called "meal simple" that are fresh, prepared raw meals you can buy in an aluminum tray, and bring home and cook in the oven. They probably have 50 varieties, ranging from $4 to $10, and they are all fantastic.

God bless Texas.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 30 Pack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 04:47 PM

Was at a Giant again today. The holes on the shelves are getting bigger.

Another thing that I didn't notice till I got home, was that several of the bags didn't say Giant on them. They had a competitor's name on them. This Giant will accept anyone's bags for recycling but I don't remember them ever using them to bag their own groceries before. Also, the clerk was really jamming the bags full. I got the impression they're running out of plastic bags.
The Following User Says Thank You to emmajones For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 05:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,589 Times in 3,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Pack View Post
Our beloved Texas grocery chain HEB, at least in the Houston market, has teamed up with some local restaurants. The restaurants are preparing to-go orders, and they are available for purchase in the grocery store already packed, cooked, and ready to bring home.

I think it's very cool- and helps out the restaurants after the no dining inside order.

HEB already had a version of this called "meal simple" that are fresh, prepared raw meals you can buy in an aluminum tray, and bring home and cook in the oven. They probably have 50 varieties, ranging from $4 to $10, and they are all fantastic.

God bless Texas.
I am not sure what I think about things like this. It's cool to see different business working together.

But I think it's still an awful idea right now to eat food that you didn't prepare yourself. Like someone else said in a different post, what happens when one of the people preparing those meals is an asymptomatic carrier? How many people could they infect?

The raw one that you take might be ok - since it would all be heated.

I can't believe the number of my coworkers who are still eating out! They post pictures of their "quarantine meal" on FB. ??????????
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dealfinder500 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Freedom Freeloader

Wife and I ventured out today for a trip to the bank and then Wally World Market. We wore P100 respirators, safety glasses, gloves, long pants and sleeves. And baseball caps.

Parking lot was almost full, but we found a spot to park easily. Inside, the store did not appear to be jam packed with people. About half the people were wearing PPE of some kind. There was no OJ except frozen; we bought several. Plenty of milk and bread, Meats were low, but not exhausted. Plenty of fresh veggies. No TP but there were other paper products.

We witnessed our first "fight" of this pandemic. An older gentleman (*I* am old, he was much older) got upset with my wife when she walked by him in the produce section. He said something like, "Hey, you are too close to me!"

I responded, "Sir?" He then said, "I hope all that stuff she is wearing will protect me!"

I felt it best to disengage, so my wife and I walked away without responding.

Before we could get too far away... a young lady reached past him for some veggies, and he yelled, "Get away from me!" And as he yelled he swung his arm in a backhand motion, and actually struck her on the arm/shoulder.

She promptly cursed him out... and walked away.

Against my better judgement... I re-engaged the old man. I stopped about 3 yards away... and said, "Sir, please calm down. We are all in this together."

He mumbled something I couldn't understand... then I said, "Sir... can I pray with you?" He nodded. I then prayed for him... and the entire town. When I finished praying I opened my eyes and saw that his were closed. He actually prayed. We then said, "God bless you, sir," and we walked away.

We discussed this later... an old man all alone in a store with no PPE... yet he is concerned about his health. And willing to get angry about it in public... to the point of hitting someone.

I'm glad the young lady had the restraint to NOT hit him back, and I'm equally glad that the guard (a deputy) was on the other side of the store near customer service!

For those wondering where all this took place... We are number 4 on this per capita list that came out 4-5 days ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...omparison.html

For those who wonder about race, I'm white, wife is hispanic, old man is white, and the young lady is black.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TimBob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,910 Posts

I just put in another order for 20# GB from local farmer, DD will pick it up Monday then will go get it from her.

Local meat processing plant has started rationing their beef smokies, funny I thought their price$8.00# was reason enough not to hoard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,012 Posts

Our regional chain sent out a memo to NOT bring your own cloth bags to put stuff in....the kind that was used to help keep plastic bags out of landfills.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,128 Times in 10,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
Our regional chain sent out a memo to NOT bring your own cloth bags to put stuff in....the kind that was used to help keep plastic bags out of landfills.
The same around here if THEY pack your bags, but we can use our own bags if we pack them ourselves, makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 07:47 AM

Went to Walmart this week and it was a joke. People in and out with not a care in the world. Mom and dad with their kids in tow. WTF? I left my daughter at home with dad while I went shopping. I wore my homemade mask. Only saw three other people with masks. People are not taking it seriously up here. I don't bother with gloves or eye coverings because the mask encourages social distancing, and I've trained myself not to touch my face while out in public until I wash my hands. Gloves do give a false sense of protection. People still touch their face, etc.

Anyhow, I bought $800 worth of groceries. Shelves were well stocked. Paper towels a little low but still some to be purchased. I could not find fresh garlic. They sell Chinese garlic, maybe that's the reason. I don't buy Chinese garlic anyways. Just went with garlic powder. I don't have to go back for at least a month. When I go back to the city, I will go to a smaller grocery store because Walmart is the city's hangout. I will top up then.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WinterPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 10:55 AM

Thanked 3,421 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
I try not to be a "conspiracy theorist," however it looked really suspicious that NJ was trying to do a plastic bag ban right as this epidemic started.

There are other things you could criticize about it, too.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:56 AM

Costco is limiting the number of people in, wipes down the checkout area for each customer. Unless you go super early TP and a lot of meats are gone. Tylenol is sold out, only Tylenol is remaining and limit one per customer.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,268 Times in 532 Posts

Went to my neighborhood WM this morning. Lady at the door doing a count as you went in. They had TP and paper towels limit one. I got a two pack of paper towels. I didn't need much but got 3 cans of OJ and sugar pills in case I have a sugar low. I keep that on hand.

Got three frozen pizzas, they were fairly stocked on those. One loaf of bread. The bread man was there stocking the shelf. A couple of WM cokes and powdered lemonaid. That was about it. I tried not to be a glutton.

Everyone was making a wide circle around other shoppers. I don't think I was ever closer than 10 feet from the next person. Lots of mask and gloves. I think some are taking proper precautions. I sanitized my hands as soon as I got in my truck and a good hand washing when I got home.

I shall live to shop another day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 04:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,446 Times in 8,589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolformula View Post
Costco is limiting the number of people in, wipes down the checkout area for each customer. Unless you go super early TP and a lot of meats are gone. Tylenol is sold out, only Tylenol is remaining and limit one per customer.
There is a line forming by 0700 at Costco. Been like that for the past couple of weeks.

Still don't know what the fascination is with toilet paper hoarding. Very strange.

If Tylenol is sold out, how can it be remaining and limit one per customer?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 04:33 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 26,820 Times in 9,545 Posts

Maybe calling all painkillers "Tylenol".

Kind of like southerners who call all carbonated beverages a "Coke".
Old 04-04-2020, 04:36 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 10,327 Times in 3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_HighCountry View Post
There is a line forming by 0700 at Coscto. Been like that for the past couple of weeks.

Still don't know what the fascination is with toilet paper hoarding. Very strange.

If Tylenol is sold out, how can it be remaining and limit one per customer?
I guess a lot of wasting of TP or something..
I live in a house with 7 other people. We average 1 roll a day
I happen to know this because I am the one who supplies the TP.

store on the corner....has an entire aisle of TP and paper towels ...limit 1 package. I usually get a package of 6 rolls
Plenty of bleach and other cleaning supplies.
About 10% higher than big box stores but itís 1 block away.... just walk
Walmart is 30 min drive