Five Dollar Preps - Page 57 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dollar store preps roof_top_eagle Urban Survival 70 08-06-2019 07:37 AM
5 Dollar Preps and 1 Hour Solutions Engage Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 10-24-2015 02:55 AM
Dollar Tree is buying Family Dollar BigJim Financial Forum 11 08-19-2014 12:28 AM
Dollar Tree preps? Preppinbeahabit Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 07-29-2014 08:11 AM
US Dollar vs. Canadian Dollar, need this weeks quotes, please.Thanks Deo Gratias! Financial Forum 3 03-07-2014 09:59 AM
Dollar Tree For Preps phaack Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 03-19-2011 07:37 PM
US Dollar and the Canadian Dollar Exchange Rate survivalistmomma Financial Forum 1 02-23-2011 09:07 AM
US Govt matches every dollar of tax revenue with a dollar in new debt survivalistmomma Financial Forum 2 08-28-2010 03:57 PM
Dollar Stores for Budget Preps! Gurthy Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 11-12-2009 10:26 PM
Iran Venezuela call US Dollar "worthless paperĒ.Ditch dollar Capo General Discussion 13 11-09-2009 07:46 PM

Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

I think the original idea of this thread was to inspire people who can't afford to (or won't) drop the big bucks on the bulk good stuff to realize that they can afford $5 bucks a week.

This thread started almost 10 years ago, if anyone had been influenced by this $5 a week idea then and actually followed it, they would have an awesome pantry/set of preps by now.

We get the point, you can buy better stuff for less money at bulk but a lot of people can't or won't afford it. Most people would rather buy beer and the sports package for there Boob-tube.

Now at $5 per week, If you just started last week and the SHTF tomorrow, well bummer for you...

Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gnepig For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 03:49 AM
Hunter

what's a price of a life especially if you are the only person thatn can provide..

I think the original intent of the topic was $5 a week Gnepig as you say however having to manage wound care on and off for 30+ years, I'm a realist and the reality is the so called emergency kits you pay $99-500 for barely covers you for booboo and doesn't triage and redressing the wounds because the last thing you want to do amputate limbs because you haven't maintained the wound to prevent septic shock..

whether you are covering medical or food preps matters not in this scenario reality by the time you have finished whatever the kit or kits you make you are looking past $5,000 minimum if not more
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlineshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Buried My Guns View Post
All excellent ideas for a shirt.

I have a 17 month-old; I submit that they may make feasible diapers, if doubled over (or quadrupled over; I am still grossed out by poo).
well, i dont have kids, i have, however made pillowcase out of mens dress shirts. button the buttons, run a line of thread to sew up the opening, cut off the sleeves and collars and you end up with a nice rectangle that pillows fit into depending of course on the size of your guy you may need to make adjustments!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to francessanne For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 12:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,880 Times in 1,442 Posts

Iím confused why someone not interested in $5 preps would read and reply to a thread about $5 preps. Perhaps they just want to cause trouble and have it locked/closed. Kind of odd behavior, whatever the reason.

Anyways, lots of really great ideas in this thread, and a thanks to all who have added value to it.

Itís appreciated!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Prepared

Bump and go.....
Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Hunter

$5 preps becomes a lot of money over a long term purchase items..

the smart buyer buys in bulk as that is the only way to save money and it is better to buy wholesale than it is to buy per unit sale with rtail markup..

the point is that $5 prep will cost you $5,000+ everytime you buy it..

whether it be food, water, medical, battery supplies or so forth it is going to cost more than $5 per purchase of that item you buy on a regular shopping run..

sadly in most cases it is cheaper to buy the box rather than per unit sale..
Old 05-16-2019, 08:23 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,329 Times in 11,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
the smart buyer buys in bulk as that is the only way to save money and it is better to buy wholesale than it is to buy per unit sale with rtail markup..
The enemy of good is great.

If we wait until we can start perfectly, we will use that as a reason not to ever start.

Of course, what you are saying is true - but counterproductive GIVEN the OP, thread objective. If you only have $5 and wait to have $50 to buy in bulk when disaster strikes, you'll have nothing.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,458 Times in 5,100 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
$5 preps becomes a lot of money over a long term purchase items..

the point is that $5 prep will cost you $5,000+ everytime you buy it..

whether it be food, water, medical, battery supplies or so forth it is going to cost more than $5 per purchase of that item you buy on a regular shopping run..

sadly in most cases it is cheaper to buy the box rather than per unit sale..
I really disagree since I have bought on sale, bought a huge amount of preps, gear etc. at yard sales and other sales. Plus for twenty or so years whenever the Dollar Tree first appeared I have bought a Lot for one dollar or so. No more than one dollar at the Dollar Tree where Everything is a dollar or less.

Such as a big roll of paper towels, bag of chips, box of crackers, peanut butter, large box of matches or bic lighters, etc. etc. etc. All for only one dollar each. Cheaper than any other place including buying in bulk possibly. I do plan to buy a few years worth of freeze dried food though but the least expensive I have found is buying at the Dollar Tree and other places where there are sales.

Plus there's this >

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Socially Distant

Thanked 13,538 Times in 2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post

Plus there's this >

LOL thanks for the good laugh. I shop at Walmart and if those people are "all dressed up" then I would hate to see the riff raff that frequent the dollar stores.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2019, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,476 Posts

I have found many things at the dollar store are much cheaper because they are rejects, overstock, or built really cheap, or smaller sizes than other stores carry. Also most of the canned vegetables are double the price of other stores store brands.
The Following User Says Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 02:57 AM
Hunter

Quote:
I really disagree since I have bought on sale, bought a huge amount of preps, gear etc. at yard sales and other sales. Plus for twenty or so years whenever the Dollar Tree first appeared I have bought a Lot for one dollar or so. No more than one dollar at the Dollar Tree where Everything is a dollar or less.

You kinda missed the point of comment that is was more or less a waste of cash because you are alway keep buying more than 1 of the same item, $5.00 soon becomes $500 soon turn past$5,000

Quote:
Such as a big roll of paper towels, bag of chips, box of crackers, peanut butter, large box of matches or bic lighters, etc. etc. etc. All for only one dollar each. Cheaper than any other place including buying in bulk possibly. I do plan to buy a few years worth of freeze dried food though but the least expensive I have found is buying at the Dollar Tree and other places where there are sales.
yet you still don't get what i was talking about you give examples of what you brought though Have you actually how much you have over the years and tallied

[/QUOTE]Plus there's this >

[/QUOTE]

Our closest thing to $1 store is red dot and the reject shop though you still missed the point of my point how many jars of this and how many boxes of that do you own sitting in your cold storeroom or whatever you use as a long store pantry area..

tally up the per $5 items you have purchased across the year or years you have been collecting supplies

this is why I have said that in most cases you spend more per unit value paying retail for something than buy the same product in bulk at wholesale price by either the pallet or buy the box it comes in..
Old 05-19-2019, 04:07 AM
Target Shooter

Default I can get more batteries.

Add another five dollars and you can get 30 or more batteries on sale at Menards. Why would you pay five dollars for four batteries when you can get thirty for nine dollars?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 33,329 Times in 11,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsclaw 73 View Post
Add another five dollars and you can get 30 or more batteries on sale at Menards. Why would you pay five dollars for four batteries when you can get thirty for nine dollars?
Who has $9?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:40 AM
Hunter

I was not knocking $5 pickup preps, however people typically do not take stock of what is owned and is sitting in storage...

once you tally up on the prep in question you paid $5 for and how many units you have $5 procurement is nothing in total spend of that 1 supply..

in long term caching of supplies it might be cheaper going of bulk purchasing vs single purchase of that 1 supply..

People seldom think so far forward to look past what they have purchased , they thing of the now rather than the later and fail to concede that cost benefit analyses of how much money is wasted on a particular product...

this is no different from $1-$10 preps, $10-$50, $50-$100 and abc's of the list goes on and over and in some cases in...

The point is food for thought bulk purchase might be cheaper in the long run with certain items you may buy at single sale at retail pricing..

compare dollar store pricing vs retail store pricing..

I don't believe the hype of what someone claims in the paper over pricing at a dollar store vs normal retail as 90% of what you are purchasing is the same price or within $1-2 of normal price

I'm not sure how many shop outside of costco/walmart/coles/taget/k-mart vs shopping from your local $1 store, reject shop, red dot..

Though I would think you should likely do a cost house hold item you can purchase from major retail vs discount shopping marts to see how much you are actually saving also add the fuel costing to go to these stores assuming they aren't in the same location
Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Prepared

Ok, well, RLS has convinced me, I will quit waisting my money and when the S... Hits The Fan I will go to his house.

This is what I will hear if I told people "if you don't start with $5 grand you don't live..."
The best I can hope for is people around me has 3 days of food in their pantry and a box of bandaids.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Hunter

Gnepig, we all gotta start from somewhere though consider this how much is the total cost you have spent per item you have purchased over over the month's and years you have been prepping...

on average most have 14-21 days worth of food to play with..

I never said you were wasting money though look at single price vs wholesale price of what us being purchased..

your preps can have a street worth past $5,000 in the scheme of things to come..

As for medical prepping it isn't going to be cheap for setup and the reality in situations where you will need to maintain a wound care plan you may need to consider $5,000 or in those types of supplies with no medical doctors available you will be a 1t port of call for anyone that injures themselves..

prepping in itself isn't cheap and the reality no matter what you start with the end goal will likely be past $20,000+ in supplies if not more..