Springfield XDM 10mm broke! - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 04-01-2020, 08:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,138 Posts
Default Springfield XDM 10mm broke!

Advertise Here

I have said it in other posts but thought I would make a whole thread to tell everyone.

I bought new a Springfield XDM 10mm. After about 50 rounds of hornady critical defense (factory ammo) I had an odd round that made my whole hand sting. I knew something wasn’t right. I field stripped and checked everything’s out. I didn’t see anything wrong with the pistol and reassembled. Shot the rest of my ammo, 120 rounds, and packed it up and went home. Had some odd sounding rounds but all went bang and no other issues. Went home and disassembled and cleaned. As the oil soaked in I noticed a crack in the frame on the right hand side at the slide traveling down the grip. About 1/2-3/4” long. Springfield was happy to have it shipped to them. After it was accepted at Springfield it took almost 3 weeks for them to get started. I told them what was wrong and what needed to be fixed/replaced. They told me exactly what I told them. Needs a new frame and extractor.

We all agreed that there was either an over pressurized round or an out of battery round. They told me that they would NOT honor their warranty. That I had to pay out of pocket and then go after Hornady to get repaid. I contacted Springfield about how disappointed I was with them not honoring their warranty and how I have 4 Springfield pistols and this will be my last of this isn’t resolved satisfactorily. I didn’t get a response at all.

In my eyes this is another blow to a once good company. I will not be buying another weapon from Springfield. They won’t uphold their warranty, pass blame onto others, and the customer service ignores you. Let this be a lesson to all of you.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:30 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,655 Times in 2,456 Posts

IF
an overloaded, over pressure round caused the damage, you should thank SA for making a gun that held up to the pressure and didn't go nuke in your hand and go after Hornady for the damages caused by their ammo.

If it was an out of battery problem, you should have to bear some of the damage because after all, it is not a F/A weapon, If the slide was not fully forward, it is NOT SA's fault that you fired a gun without making sure it was properly closed.

If you can link some improper assembly on the part of SA that led to it firing out of battery, that would be different but even then you are still the person who pulled the trigger on a gun not properly locked up.

Unless you can show some negligence on the part of SA, why would they do anything other than for the sake of "good will"?
and
here is the problem with that.
So SA fixes the gun, even though they were not at fault.. everyone who knows about it will still think it was SA's fault because they did fix the gun.
SO
SA defending their product is a natural and business call that is fairly justified based on the information you provided.

Go to Hornady and see what they say. If SA says it was an overload and you have their documentation Hornady may be more inclined to settle vs have a chance SA would come out and say something like "Based on customer reports we recommend not to shoot Hornady ammo through our firearms."

But in any case if you insist on beating on SA you are beating the wrong horse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:33 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 28,298 Times in 9,983 Posts

I had S&W try to do that to me once. I bought a new 29 10 5/8". I always buy a box of factory ammo with new guns just in case. The first cylinder full was hard to eject. I examined the cylinder and one chamber had a half round gouge where the reamer carried a chip, the other 5 were fine.

I called them and they sent me a box to send it in. I tied a string threw the bad chamber and enclosed a note explaining the flaw and sent it off. Some time later I get a repair bill estimate for "a bulge in the bolt notch". I wrote them a letter saying send it back and I'll just shoot it as a 5 shooter. Plus I'll take it to every gun show I can and put it on the table and let folks examine the pistol for themselves. Plus I bad mouthed them as a Bangor Punta Marine run by Micky mouse and a few other insults.

A few days later I get a call from the vice president of something. He tells me he just got out of a meeting where his butt was chewed off for "what are we doing so wrong to **** off our customers so much". Anyway he said they would be more than happy to fix it for free. I got it back repaired and it has been a wonderful pistol for the last 30+ years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,809 Times in 5,361 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
I have said it in other posts but thought I would make a whole thread to tell everyone.

I bought new a Springfield XDM 10mm. After about 50 rounds of hornady critical defense (factory ammo) I had an odd round that made my whole hand sting. I knew something wasnít right. I field stripped and checked everythingís out. I didnít see anything wrong with the pistol and reassembled. Shot the rest of my ammo, 120 rounds, and packed it up and went home. Had some odd sounding rounds but all went bang and no other issues. Went home and disassembled and cleaned. As the oil soaked in I noticed a crack in the frame on the right hand side at the slide traveling down the grip. About 1/2-3/4Ē long. Springfield was happy to have it shipped to them. After it was accepted at Springfield it took almost 3 weeks for them to get started. I told them what was wrong and what needed to be fixed/replaced. They told me exactly what I told them. Needs a new frame and extractor.

We all agreed that there was either an over pressurized round or an out of battery round. They told me that they would NOT honor their warranty. That I had to pay out of pocket and then go after Hornady to get repaid. I contacted Springfield about how disappointed I was with them not honoring their warranty and how I have 4 Springfield pistols and this will be my last of this isnít resolved satisfactorily. I didnít get a response at all.

In my eyes this is another blow to a once good company. I will not be buying another weapon from Springfield. They wonít uphold their warranty, pass blame onto others, and the customer service ignores you. Let this be a lesson to all of you.

Don't take it too hard i spent 6 months with Colt ''customer service'' It was like i wasn't even there....
S&W is probably thinking your +P hand loads cracked the frame, get the lot number of the box of ammo and email Hornady with pics of your pistol frame and see what happens...
Old 04-01-2020, 01:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
IF
an overloaded, over pressure round caused the damage, you should thank SA for making a gun that held up to the pressure and didn't go nuke in your hand and go after Hornady for the damages caused by their ammo.

If it was an out of battery problem, you should have to bear some of the damage because after all, it is not a F/A weapon, If the slide was not fully forward, it is NOT SA's fault that you fired a gun without making sure it was properly closed.

If you can link some improper assembly on the part of SA that led to it firing out of battery, that would be different but even then you are still the person who pulled the trigger on a gun not properly locked up.

Unless you can show some negligence on the part of SA, why would they do anything other than for the sake of "good will"?
and
here is the problem with that.
So SA fixes the gun, even though they were not at fault.. everyone who knows about it will still think it was SA's fault because they did fix the gun.
SO
SA defending their product is a natural and business call that is fairly justified based on the information you provided.

Go to Hornady and see what they say. If SA says it was an overload and you have their documentation Hornady may be more inclined to settle vs have a chance SA would come out and say something like "Based on customer reports we recommend not to shoot Hornady ammo through our firearms."

But in any case if you insist on beating on SA you are beating the wrong horse.
I agree that they did build a robust gun that even after it cracked it still shot. Now saying that I also asked the rep about how common this is and if they see a cracked frame after 50 total shots. He said YES. He sees it all the time in every caliber from .380 all the way through 308. Now I have a guy who says they have cracked frames all the time and blames a factory hornady round. I also didnít know that the frame was cracked or else I would have kept the boxes but since I wasnít at the home range at at a ďsportsmanísĒ club I tossed all of it in the garbage and left the brass. No finding out lot number.

SA could have had a flawed frame that cracked. They replaced the frame and kept the broken one. I should call and see if I can have MY other frame back if it isnít destroyed to keep their negligence hidden.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:45 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

`

IIRC this is the 2nd thread about issues with SA warranty & customer service. Figures, since my kid bought a 308 Saint a few weeks ago.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:37 PM
What hell, pay attention

Thanked 11,821 Times in 4,793 Posts

Last go round I had with them was back in the early 2000's with my SOCOM. I was having problems with mounts fitting on their rail and the stock not holding up.

None of my mounts that were Picaninny spec would fit and it was obvious the rail wasnt (Weaver maybe), yet they swore up and down on the phone that it was.

They also told be the stock was a new made stock by them, when you could see they simply modified/ground down a GI fiberglass stock and repainted it. As the paint was chipping off that was very obvious by the color underneath.

Had a few other issues with the gun too. Couldnt take it apart without a small screwdriver.

I swore after that I was done with them and wouldnt buy another one of their guns (had a bunch of issues with their 1911's of that era too).

Broke down (and broke that vow) this past year, and bought a Mil Spec "Defender" 1911, and regretted it soon after. Not much has changed from the looks of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 08:22 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,817 Times in 695 Posts

Maybe it wasnt SA's fault, but I am pizzed that they want to charge full price to fix it. The least they could do is do it for 1/2 price, hell they wouldnt lose any money at that. I own an SA but will think twice before buying another one. It would be different if it had more than a box of shells thru it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawgy54 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 09:17 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,461 Times in 10,374 Posts

It sounds to me that Springfield Arms shoehorned a magnum power cartridge into a major power frame.
So when you fired the very high pressure round, the gun broke.

While Hornaday may bear some responsibility for loading the round. I believe the frame should not have broken.
The brass case is supposed to be the weak link, but you did not keep the brass, ot the factory box.

Negotiate with both companies and take the best deal you can get, but I would not keep the gun once it is fixed.
Just one more reason I handload my own ammo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,418 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post

I bought new a Springfield XDM 10mm. After about 50 rounds of hornady critical defense (factory ammo) I had an odd round that made my whole hand sting. I knew something wasnít right. .
You left that part out of the other thread...

You should have definitely kept and inspected at least THAT piece of brass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Limited Access Member

Never admit you had an over pressure load. Never ever. And never admit you were shooting reloads.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:03 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Never admit you had an over pressure load. Never ever. And never admit you were shooting reloads.
Never assume just cause it is 'factory' ammo that it is perfectly fine and safe in all firearms...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 12:11 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
It sounds to me that Springfield Arms shoehorned a magnum power cartridge into a major power frame.
So when you fired the very high pressure round, the gun broke.

While Hornaday may bear some responsibility for loading the round. I believe the frame should not have broken.
The brass case is supposed to be the weak link, but you did not keep the brass, ot the factory box.

Negotiate with both companies and take the best deal you can get, but I would not keep the gun once it is fixed.
Just one more reason I handload my own ammo.
I looked at a bunch of 10mm guns before buying a Sig 220 Elite.
Stainless slide, stainless frame, beavertail grip, SAO trigger, slightly thicker than the same gun in 45 acp.
After you get your SA fixed, you might consider selling it and buying something more robust.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 02:17 AM
Limited Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
Never assume just cause it is 'factory' ammo that it is perfectly fine and safe in all firearms...
I didnít say that.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:58 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 4,332 Times in 1,865 Posts

Sort of surprised that almost everyone is laying this at Springfield's feet rather than Hornady. Given some of the issues with Frontier factory ammo (Hornady/Lake City collaboration) blowing up people's guns and Hornady blaming "out of spec" guns rather than entertaining any notion that the ammo is bad, they don't exactly have a stellar reputation for customer service right now.

I've never had to send a damaged gun to an ammo manufacturer, but I have had Smith & Wesson and Taurus both replace guns for free that in all likelihood were damaged by bad ammo. On the other hand, when I have encountered obviously bad ammo (Freedom Munitions 9mm JHP with case separations in multiple guns) they did everything they could to refuse accepting the remaining ammo for a refund. I can only imagine how hard they would have fought me if I blamed them for destroying my gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 11:54 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
Sort of surprised that almost everyone is laying this at Springfield's feet rather than Hornady. Given some of the issues with Frontier factory ammo (Hornady/Lake City collaboration) blowing up people's guns and Hornady blaming "out of spec" guns rather than entertaining any notion that the ammo is bad, they don't exactly have a stellar reputation for customer service right now.

I was one of them at first. Then I read the part in this thread about the one particular round making his hand sting...

That there leads me to believe that the ammo caused the problem but -

If the gun was designed right and built strong to begin with it would not have crapped the bed so soon.

Either way - Glad the OP did not get injured. Guns are relatively easy to replace. Fingers and eyes - Not so much...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DG23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 7,168 Times in 1,692 Posts

Great info in this thread! Not a fan of the XD's, they just don't fit my hand well and I honestly have a mental negativity toward them because I had a FFL in the 90's when the design came out of Croatia.
That being said, I do still own a XDM .45 but rarely shoot it because I much prefer the Glock 20SF and 21SF and especially the M&P .45's.
And now I want a 220 Elite, damn you Hick!
The Following User Says Thank You to stroo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 02:16 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroo View Post
Great info in this thread! Not a fan of the XD's, they just don't fit my hand well and I honestly have a mental negativity toward them because I had a FFL in the 90's when the design came out of Croatia.
That being said, I do still own a XDM .45 but rarely shoot it because I much prefer the Glock 20SF and 21SF and especially the M&P .45's.
And now I want a 220 Elite, damn you Hick!
I would not want you to get lonely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6024729_02_sig_sauer_p220_elite_10mm_sao__640.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	300902  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post: