How many are in a "good place" overall??? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-02-2020, 06:39 PM
I'M READY!!

Thanked 10,514 Times in 3,330 Posts

Advertise Here

All good in my corner. Quiet. Mostly peaceful but the tension is obvious. People are worried but still keeping their cool for now.

I'm still working and get to work so much overtime, I'm on track to double my monthly income for April so that's been a nice boost to morale at my house.

All in all, a pretty boring "apocalypse", but boring is a good thing.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elliott264 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:12 PM
here for the experience

You likely already thought of this, but just in case - you could "witch" it. I've seen a pro do it, and I have myself done it long ago on our farm. Just FWIW.
The Following User Says Thank You to edgedbliss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Target Shooter

I guess that I'd call myself "already bugged in" since long time gone.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:52 PM
Target Shooter

Things are very well with us here in NW Arkansas.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:54 PM

Life is good here in Michigan, no complaints and life is normal for me...but I am always prepared for something like this.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,065 Times in 1,120 Posts

Fairly rural on a couple acres at the end of the road on a mountain. Food for a few months minus some regular luxuries. Backup generator, few hundred gallons of gasoline. I have two totes of backup water but really wish we had our own well. Still working from home so doing ok for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hound Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 08:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,437 Times in 5,447 Posts

I am in a VERY good place. However the stress is a killer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 08:45 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,461 Times in 10,374 Posts

Thank God I retired and got the Hell out of California. It was a pain in the ass moving it all to Oklahoma, but when something like this happens, I am very glad to live on my remote ranch.

My response has been to stay home, get some exercise clearing trees, and plant a bigger garden.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 10:33 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,655 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
Very-very-very bad here almost totally out of food, half jar of rancid peanut butter, and only nine cartridges remaining. Hope to hold out for a week or two. Ate the cat last week with some rice and beach grass mixed in for fiber.......still kind'a sick. Should have cooked it longer.
USE ONE of those cartridges to harvest one of your "neighbors" and you should be able to eat for a few more days...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 11:42 PM

I have all the supplies so in that sense i am fine. But i am not in a good place mentally, not being able to do many activities has got me down. That and things like losing my job. Not a great time for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aquilius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 12:51 AM
Target Shooter

I am in a good place mentally and supply wise. I am isolating alone. The only thing that really bothers me is that my husband, with dementia, is in the geriatric/psychiatric ward of a hospital 45 minutes away. He was in a nursing home 5 minutes away, but they couldn't handle him, so he was sent to the hospital to adjust his meds. He'll be there for weeks or months, and I miss him very much. At least he is settled there and seems content. I guess there are plenty of people who have complications like this in their life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosebud For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 12:58 AM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 21,221 Times in 5,469 Posts

Life is pretty good. Both the wife and I are still working, or at least still getting paid... can find TP and pretty much everything else.
It's boring, can't go out to eat, so I guess this "pandemic" is more of an inconvenience than anything.

I'd call that a good place.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 34,711 Times in 9,885 Posts

Doing good here, have some supplies that can last a while and working on getting the garden started. Started what I call my Victory garden.

Started tomatoes this week along with kale, squash, bok choy, lettuce, carrots some 1500 year old cave beans from Baker Creek, supposedly these are easier on the stomach than most beans are. Will be starting some rattlesnake pole beans, cucumbers, planted about 65 bulb onion starts last week. Getting a herbal medicine and an herbal tea garden going.

Got some more baby chicks coming. Small order of just 6 roosters. 1 rooster will be raised up to help our 4 hens make baby chicks the other 5 roosters will be raised to go to freezer camp.

So hopefully by winter time we'll have canned some good stuff to stretch our food further.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:31 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 7,755 Times in 2,606 Posts

yep...semi-rural - used to be country, folks keep wiping acres and slamming housing subdivisions around...so not so lonely anymore..that said, still have my immediate 12.5 acres..4 of that in trees with a deep creek. 1.5 acre deep pond, large bass, inground pool is heated so we've been enjoying swimming for the past 4 weeks already. Well water. Have a solid travel trailer so all the amenities that come with that ..water, shower, 60lbs of propane for hot water and cooking. Have a larger genset and a small honda EU2000 for short term alternate power. There's 60ish gallons of nonethanol in the boat gas tank, 26gals in my cargo work van, the car is full as well and multiple 5gal cans..plus I have 5 cases of long term storage 32oz gas.
Berky filter in case I need to pull water from the pool.
food preps are such that the 3 of us can eat normal well into June if I wasn't able to leave the property at all. But as long as I can still do a weekly grocery run then we enjoy fresh fruits and meats.
packs of spare batteries for the flashlights, a solid supply of over the counter symptom meds and boo-boo patchup stuff.
None of us on SB own firearms of course, but "if" I did,it would look sorta like my food preps... in other words, I would be able to knock out 200 headcounts of zombie nights through August before my trigger finger might get tired and then still not be getting into the deeper stacked green cans..
in addition to normal commute vehicals, there's a 4x4 pickup, an ATV and a 2 wheel dual sport. Longer term if I am patient enough, the small solar panel can recharge the golf cart batteries and then 11-18 miles of service from it per charge. Can I lock it down now? yes if need be, and we are about 90% with me having remote work oppty for my job....during this time, me and my family have been enjoying fishing, swimming, watching movies at home, playing board games around the kitchen table, eating food we normally eat, paying the bills. If I didn't turn on the news, we'd not notice the zombie apocyclypse going on all around the media frenzy and over zealous political leaders. And this has been my goal for many many years of basic prepping. No I can't make this work for years...frankly i don't want to..that's a totally different lifestyle..but for today..we are prepared and reaping the benefits of those efforts and investments.

water, food, power, defense, mobility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 03:35 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,725 Times in 651 Posts

I'm in a very good place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elvin Moseid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,552 Times in 470 Posts

I'm sitting with my wife outside in very nice weather, reading, glass of wine, kids are playing with water balloons. Strangest pandemic ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterWiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,812 Posts

I'm in a "good place".
No real issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 04:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,041 Times in 4,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by no guns here View Post

How about you?
As with most SHTF situations, they hit when you least expect or want. I'm working up in northern VA, but I "live" in GA, 550 miles away. I've been working up here since October and should have moved back home in February...typical military delay.

I knew the logistics of having to get home and to save some costs, I'm just renting a basement room in a townhouse. Accommodations have been okay and I have enough stuff here for a 7-10 days, but I'm not setup for long-term; which is why I have a bug-home plan.

Home is semi-rural, no neighbors, long driveway, 11 acre lake, 7 acres of land, our own well, and good stocks of supplies. I just got my partial telework adjustment of the contract (still need to go to work periodically to check high-side systems), and the wife is "teaching" from home. I will be moving back home this weekend to meet the 14-day quarantine request for our new facility, so it's been a painful blessing.

Biggest lesson learned is that SHTF isn't the one you want nor when you want it to occur. It could always be worse, I could be stuck over in Afghanistan

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 06:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,153 Times in 5,469 Posts

We're doing okay. Have food and supplies, went out for a few things in a small market on Sunday, big places are still a zoo.

Have some extra fuel stored, propane too. The best news is I retire in 10 days, cannot wait. My one son is getting paid to stay home, the other who is essential works 4 days, 10 hours per.

Took food inventory, holding out well. Could use some hamburger patties. Got lots of chicken in the freezer. Medicines, I have 90 day supplies on most things and that comes in like clockwork. I'm keeping my medical for at least 6 months on COBRA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Not bad. I live on the outskirts of one of the largest and most diverse cities in the country in a typical subdivision situation. I know that sounds horrible to some of you. Thankfully, my side of the city is considered the redneck side. That means all the sporting goods stores set up shop over here. Even the Walmart sells guns. We have some of the best hospitals around us. There are farms all around us though less than there used to be. We're not far from land with game but it's a little further than it used to be. Most everyone around here are good folks with plenty of supplies of the food and defensive type. We come together when people need help. The uppity side of the neighborhood has lots of professionals and business owners. The more affordable side of the neighborhood is made up of a lot of civil servants of the police, firefighter, nurse, construction and line workers and teacher types with lots of retired military. A creek runs through our neighborhood and there are a few manmade retention ponds (aka lakes) stocked with bass.

The busy bodies are having a hard time staying inside. They want to support all the local restaurants and drive around doing pick ups. That will hopefully last a while. We haven't even dipped into rations, not even close. We still eat fresh or frozen fresh. Beans and rice are a ways out but I made some with sausage the other day because it just sounded good.

I'm working from home now. I have been spending too much money on the internet but I think I am done for a while. I am really wishing I hadn't bought my wife a new car during spring break before this started down here. Her old one was way more durable and fit for bugging out. We've just had it forever and the miles were getting up there. Her new car is a lot more comfortable (built on car frame instead of truck frame), gets better mileage and has more bells and whistles.

Our county is just starting to confirm cases. I think our bumpy ride is just starting. I guess this was a good test run with all the power, gas and water still running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Heat For This Useful Post: