Why does everyone say get a 9mm? - Page 18 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 12-17-2019, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,357 Times in 6,343 Posts

Advertise Here

IMHO just be dang good with what you got , for me it is a Taurus PT 1911 AR in 45 230 grn fmj it is my EDC. S/FI!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 05:48 PM

Read this book:
Glock: The Rise of America's Gun
It explains it all. Glock a small gun maker bought a senator (or 2) and got info before US gun makers. That they were going to ban large capacity clips. They also knew ahead of other US gun makers that any clips made before the ban would be grandfathered in. They went from a 8hr day, 5 days a week to 24/7 making clips.. The ban came and they had a ton of large capacity clips that went from $5 to $40 (may not be exact numbers)
They also advertised well. We are all sheep. Sorry to the ego shot but its true we get told enough times that we need something and we go buy it. The gun mag's had a Glock and a pit bull on the cover and it looked cool so guess what? Sales sky rocketed. It didn't hurt that you could get a large capacity clip with one.
Again our politicians sold us out! Biggest whores in the world. It didn't help that many police forces bought contracts with Glock. We sell ourselves out.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:24 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_14 View Post
Read this book:
Glock: The Rise of America's Gun
It explains it all. Glock a small gun maker bought a senator (or 2) and got info before US gun makers. That they were going to ban large capacity clips. They also knew ahead of other US gun makers that any clips made before the ban would be grandfathered in. They went from a 8hr day, 5 days a week to 24/7 making clips.. The ban came and they had a ton of large capacity clips that went from $5 to $40 (may not be exact numbers)
They also advertised well. We are all sheep. Sorry to the ego shot but its true we get told enough times that we need something and we go buy it. The gun mag's had a Glock and a pit bull on the cover and it looked cool so guess what? Sales sky rocketed. It didn't hurt that you could get a large capacity clip with one.
Again our politicians sold us out! Biggest whores in the world. It didn't help that many police forces bought contracts with Glock. We sell ourselves out.
Tell me more about these high capacity clips. Is there a certain amount of hair they hold?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 36,446 Times in 8,589 Posts

Not even sure where to begin with Post 342. Or if I even want to. Definitely won't be reading the book.

Doing a little more research; the book was first publish in 2013. The author works for Bloomberg Business week and is an anti-Trumper. Twitter posts here:

https://twitter.com/AuthorPMBarrett?...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,681 Times in 4,166 Posts

So....Why (as the thread header asks) does everyone say you should you should get a 9mm? well...it's because everyone is RIGHT and you should...LOL
Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,991 Times in 9,300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Buckeye Guy View Post
I can put more rounds on target accurately with a 9mm, and ammo is more available.
1. More, perhaps. Is more relevant and always better or even necessary? And at what point is there diminishing returns? This is debatable.

E.G. in a firefight will you even need rounds 12 or more? Statistically no and these are on the far edge of rare events. We don't have great data on precisely where the typical cutoff is, but we can make generalizations. Also, a person can take cover, should take cover, and use that opportunity for a reload. Are you ever just going to stay open and fire endlessly? Probably never even in a protracted ongoing battle. You will put your head down if you're smart.

2. Can you find any locally or online 9mm ammo today that is reasonably priced? I cannot. But yesterday I could find plenty of .40 caliber still at January pricing in FMJ and HP...[Irrelevant to me b/c I have stockpiles of both, but it's relevant to someone who needs ammo.]
Old 03-27-2020, 06:43 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 9,655 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late2Prep View Post
Okay, maybe not everyone but a surprising number of people keep saying that the 9mm is the way to go. The FBI, police, blah blah blah.

Why should I change? What does the 9mm give me that I can't get from the .45ACP besides extra ammunition?

It's not like I would be adding a caliber, I've had 9's before and still have all the reloading stuff.

Had the 1911 at the range and had some super soft loads in it, 185 @650. Cutting these nice round holes in the paper, and less recoil than the 9's and 40's everyone else was shooting.
These loads also knock down small game really well.

Why change?
WHY DOES EVERYONE say "get a 9mm."

Because if you are asked that question, it is obviously from a newbie who doesn't know anything, probably doesn't know anything about guns.
SO,
People are being kind saying "get a 9mm" so that way if the newbie does something stupid and shoots himself at least he won't get hurt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
WHY DOES EVERYONE say "get a 9mm."

Because if you are asked that question, it is obviously from a newbie who doesn't know anything, probably doesn't know anything about guns.

SO,

People are being kind saying "get a 9mm" so that way if the newbie does something stupid and shoots himself at least he won't get hurt.
Ive shot the enemy with an M9. Never once did they say it didnt hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bumpedmyhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:01 AM
Survivor

LOL...What I want to know...is why has everyone stopped saying you should get a 38sp...
Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Okay, maybe not everyone but a surprising number of people keep saying that the 9mm is the way to go. The FBI, police, blah blah blah.

Why should I change? What does the 9mm give me that I can't get from the .45ACP besides extra ammunition?

It's not like I would be adding a caliber, I've had 9's before and still have all the reloading stuff.

Had the 1911 at the range and had some super soft loads in it, 185 @650. Cutting these nice round holes in the paper, and less recoil than the 9's and 40's everyone else was shooting.

Why change?
The 9mm is the most popular handgun round, its easier to control than the .45ACP and also less expensive per round so that's why lots of people like it, its an accurate, easy, and relatively inexpensive round. Also, you can have magazines of greater capacity with a 9mm than you can with a .45 ACP. Another reason why lots of people might like the 9mm is because the guns that shoot the 9mm bullet can be made to be quite small, smaller than guns in the .45 ACP caliber, so thats another reason, smaller size and thus greater concealability.

As for me, I think the 9mm is a decent round and I've got a bunch of handguns in 9mm but I mostly prefer other calibers as I find the 9mm a bit underpowered. I prefer the 10mm, Im obviously in the minority but I like the 10mm much better than the 9mm. I also like .357 Mag and .44 Mag.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.$.Racing View Post
Cost and availability. Especially if it ever came down to post-shtf availability. 9mm is everywhere

You're going to be hard pressed to find .45 in any disabled squad cars, abandoned jail/prisons, armories, etc. I'm sure some departments are still using it, but again, 9mm is everywhere.
From what I've seen at gun shops is that during this Coronavirus crisis 9mm has all been sold out. That's the downside, a popular caliber such as the 9mm is going to disappear off the shelves during a crisis so unless you've got a good supply already stored up you're out of luck if you want that caliber. On the other hand I was able to buy some 10mm ammo during this crisis.

In disabled squad cars, abandoned jails/prisons and armories where you can find bullets you will probably also find guns of the same caliber that you can use the bullets in. If you're not going to find guns in such places you most likely won't find bullets either.
The Following User Says Thank You to MA Survivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiha View Post
The 9mm is lighter, cheaper, more readily available.
If we go to the range to goof off the 9mm is one of the most comfortable to shoot.
If you want to goof off with the range and shoot lots of rounds using an inexpensive caliber why not shoot .22? Its even less expensive than the 9mm and perhaps just as available.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,367 Times in 5,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
1. More, perhaps. Is more relevant and always better or even necessary? And at what point is there diminishing returns? This is debatable.

E.G. in a firefight will you even need rounds 12 or more? Statistically no and these are on the far edge of rare events. We don't have great data on precisely where the typical cutoff is, but we can make generalizations. Also, a person can take cover, should take cover, and use that opportunity for a reload. Are you ever just going to stay open and fire endlessly? Probably never even in a protracted ongoing battle. You will put your head down if you're smart.

2. Can you find any locally or online 9mm ammo today that is reasonably priced? I cannot. But yesterday I could find plenty of .40 caliber still at January pricing in FMJ and HP...[Irrelevant to me b/c I have stockpiles of both, but it's relevant to someone who needs ammo.]
Just looking for chits and giggles I found both 9mm target and defensive ammo online today in stock on sale with free shipping if order is $50 or over, the defensive ammo was 15% off and the target ammo was 10% off and both are quality brass brands...just saying. I could have easily purchased it and there was no limit. In fact the defensive ammo is such a good price I may go back to the site and buy it...LOL. Oh and they also had 22LR in several brands available CCI etc, didn't look for 40cal as I don't have any firearms in that caliber

If you want to know where I'll post the links
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:21 AM
Ultranationalist

Thanked 49,379 Times in 10,351 Posts

Quote:

Why change?
I know itís a late reply but whatever. Thatís exactly what you get, more ammo, but you also get lighter recoil.

9mm and .40 and .45 donít have great differences in the mythical ďstopping powerĒ department. Thatís reserved mainly for rifles or shotguns. Pistols, including the .45 (.45 honks will foam at the mouth upon hearing this), are notorious for not stopping an attacker if the shots arenít placed well, or if only one round connects.

So in my opinion, when shooting a human attacker, the most important thing is to be able to put a controlled pair into your targetís center of mass. 9mm is easy to do that with because of the lower recoil. On top of that, if Iím already resigned to firing multiple shots, I like having more ammo. Simple as that.

But in your case, if you donít place high value on having that reduced recoil or the extra rounds, or if youíve got the ammo capacity and recoil shortcomings sufficiently mitigated for yourself with whatever youíre using, there is no reason to change.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:33 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,461 Times in 10,374 Posts

Quote:

Why change?
Why do many folks suggest a 9mm. Because mostly most peoole offering this advise are lazy, and stupid.

It is easy to point out the advantages of a 9mm. Cost, weight, capacity, and small weapons are all easy concepts.
You dont have to waste much time convincing someone to save money, and carry a small, light pistol.
Will that 9mm pistol actually keep him alive? Not if he does not practice and train. But the person giving the advise is not the one who will suffer.

Otoh, the disadvantages of a 9mm are relatively hard concepts to get across. The notion that all that cheap, imported 9mm ammo is not really good for anything is a much harder sell. The importance of first round accuracy is completely lost on most folks (even most folks here). Trying to convince someone he might need to use that pistol on a very large, heavy animal is much tougher than repeating that stupid FBI report.

Well I dont really like most people anyway, so go ahead and suggest what you want, I have shot enough animals to know that stopping power is real.
I know that the kinetic energy is important, and that picking a caliber, and load, with limited bullet penetration, is a good way to get yourself killed.

In my opinion, you are better off choosing a major power cartidge, and buying a pistol that fits your hand, with excellent sights, and a nice trigger.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,240 Times in 1,910 Posts

Itís a conspiracy perpetuated by ammo manufacturers.

they only want machines to make one caliber in two lines, cheap promo and buck a round magic bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
Why do many folks suggest a 9mm. Because mostly most peoole offering this advise are lazy, and stupid.

It is easy to point out the advantages of a 9mm. Cost, weight, capacity, and small weapons are all easy concepts.

You dont have to waste much time convincing someone to save money, and carry a small, light pistol.pistol.

Will that 9mm pistol actually keep him alive? Not if he does not practice and train. But the person giving the advise is not the one who will suffer.

Otoh, the disadvantages of a 9mm are relatively hard concepts to get across. The notion that all that cheap, imported 9mm ammo is not really good for anything is a much harder sell. The importance of first round accuracy is completely lost on most folks (even most folks here). Trying to convince someone he might need to use that pistol on a very large, heavy animal is much tougher than repeating that stupid FBI report.

Well I dont really like most people anyway, so go ahead and suggest what you want, I have shot enough animals to know that stopping power is real.

I know that the kinetic energy is important, and that picking a caliber, and load, with limited bullet penetration, is a good way to get yourself killed.

In my opinion, you are better off choosing a major power cartidge, and buying a pistol that fits your hand, with excellent sights, and a nice trigger.
"The importance of first round accuracy"....this.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post

You dont have to waste much time convincing someone to save money, and carry a small, light pistol.pistol.

That's why I carry a Ruger BH in 45 Colt instead of a 9mm while hiking through bear country. I use heavy loads and it definitely packs a punch. Sitting at my desk or out and about the town it's a Beretta 92FS...in 9mm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:08 PM

Love the 92Fs. My Shield 40 da/sa reminds me of my M9.

The Following User Says Thank You to bumpedmyhead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 02:40 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,461 Times in 10,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
That's why I carry a Ruger BH in 45 Colt instead of a 9mm while hiking through bear country. I use heavy loads and it definitely packs a punch. Sitting at my desk or out and about the town it's a Beretta 92FS...in 9mm.
After I retired, I moved to a small ranch in a remote area, over grown with trees, brush, and wild berries.
This is the Ozarks, and I saw deer, hogs, coyotes, bobcats, a black panther, and a large black bear the first yr.

When my dogs tell me there is something sneaking around, I grab a rifle, and a major power pistol.
Usually the pistol is either a 357 revolver, or a 10mm Sig 220, fitted with a light.

I am not suggesting that a 9mm can not do the job, but it is somewhat under powered for some threats.