What to do in a riot? - Page 5 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why a shotgun for a riot? WILL Shotgun Forum 55 01-07-2019 12:51 PM
How to Survive a Riot (or How I Survived My First Riot) TonyGa Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 04-22-2018 08:19 AM
Berkeley Riot: Dude selling delicious, salty peanuts KravMagoo General Discussion 4 09-03-2017 07:23 AM
Tulsa officer involved shooting near riot Koolhandlinc General Discussion 13 06-11-2017 01:28 PM
Liberal Meltdown and Riots - Merge Thread Cpt-Jack General Discussion 850 12-03-2016 09:36 PM

Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,867 Times in 936 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira View Post
Riots, avoid the area.
Obviously. This thread is about what to do if caught in a riot, not how to avoid one.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to SBK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,199 Posts

Step...push...sweep...step...push...sweep...

Step-step...push...sweep...step-step...push...sweep
The Following User Says Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 22,756 Times in 7,868 Posts

Fanny pack and pockets: stun gun, folder, lighter, cash, some hard candy.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,071 Posts

Find the biggest TV you can carry.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to STEEPOE For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,899 Times in 1,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira View Post
This is the right answer. Don't put yourself in a situation where it could happen.
Well damn it! We've been doing all this survivalist **** wrong the whole time! All we have to do is not be where we might need it. Case closed. Might as well shut down this forum. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Well yes, thats the best thing to do. Ive lost count of how many protest/marches/riots/****shows Ive got caught in. Best thing to do is avoid them like the plague.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,908 Times in 9,543 Posts

In the spring of 1992, I was working with a company located in Hawthorne, Ca. Which meant I was liing in a Hotel, and traveling through the flash point of the Rodney King riots several times per week. I lucked out twice.

My fiance and I just happened to pick May 2nd as our wedding date, so I got someone to cover for me the prior week. I missed the carnage of the RK riots by fortunate coincidence.

28 yrs later, I'm still married to the same girl. Another fortunate coincidence..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,008 Posts

Most people who have responded are about what to do on foot and alone. What about when the riot is around your vehicle, house, business, place of work, and/or you have your family (young kids/spouse/elderly) with you you.

Also there are some lifestyles that are much more likely be unintentionally involved in a riot than others. For those who live lifestyles that makes them being in a riot more likely they can probably do a lot to reduce their chances of being in a riot. When tensions are high, keep an eye on the news and avoid areas around rallies, protests or sporting events. Know back up routes to get home. If it is an area where riots are nearby every night leave the area, that may be hard to do, it may require moving or changing jobs.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Paws with Claws

In my building we have an armed guard. To enter. your bag is searched, belt, pocket contents removed and body wanded. At each desk is a panic button. Not all emergency situations occur in proximity to the building, but some do. When an emergency arises (civil disturbance, natural disaster, chemical spill, etc) our computer flashes a warning and instructs us to go to a predesignated Shelter In Place (SIP) room. The only problem with this arrangement is, to date, no other employee except myself, has a BOB to SIP. Also, in an active shooter scenario we're instructed to leave the building ASAP, hide if unable to escape or if necessary "take action".
The Following User Says Thank You to kitty cat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,092 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty cat View Post
In my building we have an armed guard. To enter. your bag is searched, belt, pocket contents removed and body wanded. At each desk is a panic button. Not all emergency situations occur in proximity to the building, but some do. When an emergency arises (civil disturbance, natural disaster, chemical spill, etc) our computer flashes a warning and instructs us to go to a predesignated Shelter In Place (SIP) room. The only problem with this arrangement is, to date, no other employee except myself, has a BOB to SIP. Also, in an active shooter scenario we're instructed to leave the building ASAP, hide if unable to escape or if necessary "take action".

Sounds like Security Theater by the TSA.

WHAT would lead you to put up with such nonsense? The real America has the lowest unemployment in decades so "need the job" is nonsense. There in nothing in Ca makes it worth living there. Even the "normal" areas have been despoiled and corrupted by the metro areas. MOVE (ut leave any crackpot progtard ideas in the Ca cesspool).
Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,867 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Well yes, thats the best thing to do. Ive lost count of how many protest/marches/riots/****shows Ive got caught in. Best thing to do is avoid them like the plague.
Yes, I know. So does everyone here. The answer to every single dilemma involving violence is to simply not be there. That's not always possible, which is why forums like this exist and why people train and prepare. If we could just simply not be around where the violence is at all times, almost everything we discuss here would be completely useless.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,316 Times in 3,235 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I know. So does everyone here. The answer to every single dilemma involving violence is to simply not be there. That's not always possible, which is why forums like this exist and why people train and prepare. If we could just simply not be around where the violence is at all times, almost everything we discuss here would be completely useless.
Don't you come here with your logic SBK!

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Survivor

Quote:
How do you "train and prepare" for a riot?
Every "what to do in a riot" article I've read have been pure BS, most likely written by people that never got caught in the middle of one in their life.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Quote:

Every "what to do in a riot" article I've read have been pure BS, most likely written by people that never got caught in the middle of one in their life.
If that question is a serious one, you missed the point of his post entirely.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,687 Times in 8,301 Posts

We had an interesting one in Cronulla where roving gangs were running around bashing guys based on their ethnicity. And people had a pretty liberal interpretation of what ethnicity they were looking for.

In which case I would gang up with as many guys as I can. Hole up some where defensible and drag as many potential victims with me as I could.

I have been in some monster street fights. And as soon as someone went down unprotected or got separated they tended to get in to trouble.

Otherwise dishwashing liquid works better on pepper spray than just water on its own.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:07 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 4,233 Times in 1,557 Posts

Marking this for continued reading. Good thread with some great personal experiences.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Quote:

If that question is a serious one, you missed the point of his post entirely.

Yes, dead serious question. How do you train to prepare for riots?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
Most people who have responded are about what to do on foot and alone. What about when the riot is around your vehicle, house, business, place of work, and/or you have your family (young kids/spouse/elderly) with you you.

Also there are some lifestyles that are much more likely be unintentionally involved in a riot than others. For those who live lifestyles that makes them being in a riot more likely they can probably do a lot to reduce their chances of being in a riot. When tensions are high, keep an eye on the news and avoid areas around rallies, protests or sporting events. Know back up routes to get home. If it is an area where riots are nearby every night leave the area, that may be hard to do, it may require moving or changing jobs.
Still waiting on how youre supposed to train in preparation for a riot, but if getting surrounded by an angry mob while in your vehicle, what I would do whenever it happened to me was keep the vehicle moving, slowly, not running people over, NEVER stopping, and avoiding insults and eye contact. Eyes forwards, slow steady pace pushing people out of the way.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Quote:
His post was clearly over your head.

You don't.

What his point was, was this: the point of this thread is to discuss what to do during a riot, and this assumes you are already in the middle of a riot for whatever reason. So comments like "avoid it in the first place" are stupid and off topic. And there is nothing wrong with survivalists discussing what they would do in a certain situation, how they would handle certain things. Comments like "you can't prepare in advance" are also moot and off topic. And in similar vein, just because you can't prepare for something in advance, doesn't mean there isn't value in discussing what-if scenarios. He said "train and prepare" but that means in general, as prepper, not isolated to "riots".

After I had to break this down for you like a 9 year old, I really question your reading comprehension abilities.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFlame View Post
Quote:
His post was clearly over your head.

You don't.

What his point was, was this: the point of this thread is to discuss what to do during a riot, and this assumes you are already in the middle of a riot for whatever reason. So comments like "avoid it in the first place" are stupid and off topic. And there is nothing wrong with survivalists discussing what they would do in a certain situation, how they would handle certain things. Comments like "you can't prepare in advance" are also moot and off topic. And in similar vein, just because you can't prepare for something in advance, doesn't mean there isn't value in discussing what-if scenarios. He said "train and prepare" but that means in general, as prepper, not isolated to "riots".

For whatever reason?
Do you ever wonder what to do if you suddenly (for whatever reason) find yourself in the middle of a gay orgy, butt naked?... Exactly.
How the hell do you suddenly find yourslef in the middle of a riot without realizing it? They are a loud, large gathering of people.
But lets just run with that, lets say you suddenly do wake up in the middle of a riot. What do you do? Same old same, get the hell out there.
Still waiting on the training done to prepare for riots and the mind blowing tips you have to share with us beyond "get out of there".

Quote:

After I had to break this down for you like a 9 year old, I really question your reading comprehension abilities.

Dont worry about my reading comprehension, just list those tips and riot training youve been doing and I'll try super dooper hard to understand the wisdom you have to share.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 04:26 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,815 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
How the hell do you suddenly find yourslef in the middle of a riot without realizing it?
Thats simple. You are overcome by events. Yes, it's a technical term.

While often you probably CAN avoid a riot, you could also easily be simply going about your business, turn a corner and find yourself in one and before you can reverse course your trapped.

Or perhaps you are traveling and staying at a hotel. You go to bed one night, wake up the next, and find your part of town is now in the middle of a riot.

You're driving down a road. Traffic stops. After being stuck in traffic for half an hour you suddenly see that rioters on foot moving through the area and you are engulfed.

Many many possible scenarios where you simply are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Of course, what you do is simple. Get out of there if possible, shelter and defend yourself if not.

Riots usually ebb and flow like a tide with the time of day. Just before dawn seems to usually be an ebb, with the peak coming just after dark and lasting through midnight.

If no obvious escape route presents, hole up somewhere until dawn and try again.

If you can get internet, or if you have a VHF radio, tune into your local police despatch channel. Its a great way to follow what is happening.

And then there is always the possibility the riot is for a cause you believe in. In that case, tool up and go to town.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post: