Texas drops license requirement for pig hunting. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 AM

Default Texas drops license requirement for pig hunting.

Advertise Here

Starting Nov, 1 you no longer will need a license to pig hunt in TX.

This is great, I have to by a 4 day exotic license every time I go down and hunt.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...-other-species
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 07:57 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 28,774 Times in 9,470 Posts

You haven't had the need for a license for quite some time as long as they are depredatory (destructive). 90% of the places you are going to shoot them, they are destructive...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
You haven't had the need for a license for quite some time as long as they are depredatory (destructive). 90% of the places you are going to shoot them, they are destructive...
I spoke with the head of TPW and the game warden covering the county I hunt, he said I needed the 4 day license.

The non-license requirement applied to landowners.

It was a grey area and I wasn't going to chance a ticket and possibly losing my gear, if he wanted to be an ass.

This is why I promote having a working relationship with your local GW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Millwright For This Useful Post:

Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Hiker

many states with pig problems make yu jump thru hoops to shoot the pigs they are having problems with. ok, stupid?

hopefully texas has ended that cycle. im sure this is on state lands only. farmers that bitch about pigs will still charge for hunting on them. and I can see that. the liability is huge.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
I trap hogs on my property and I always got me a license to be on the safe side. My thinking was that I was hoping to trap them before they started destroying stuff. If I was successful I'd have no proof of depredation.

Some years that worked, since I was baiting them they would be trapped before they could do damage. Other years they ate the bait and also destroyed property. A real crap shoot really.

I'm just glad there's no gray area anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Hiker

There ought to be all out war on hogs here in Tx. Man those suckers are destructive. I road around with a man on his Kawasaki Mule once and he showed me the trees that were ringed from hogs rubbing them. That kills the tree. He showed me ground that was plowed and rooted up like it was done with a tractor. And not just one place or tree. But many trees and holes in the ground wrecked by pigs.

I mentioned I liked to hunt but he never once said "get your rifle and come thin some of these bastards out for me". I would have done it too.

If I were over ran by rats I would beg for folks to bring a pellet gun and thin them out. If I had a farm or peanut field I would offer free lunches and hunts on the weekend to people to come kills some pigs. But they are so out of control that I don't think they can be brought under control now.

Did you know american pigs were introduced by Spaniards so they would have an easy to hunt source of food while exploring the Americas? They released just 4 pigs to start with. Here is a good video on what the American continents were like before the European invasion. Its a couple of hours long be full of information.

The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 8,260 Times in 1,978 Posts

Ok, so out of state hunters can just wander into Texas and start slaying pigs at will? Is that correct?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_SonofLiberty View Post
Ok, so out of state hunters can just wander into Texas and start slaying pigs at will? Is that correct?
Here's how the rule was stated on the the Texas Parks and Wildlife page...

"A resident or non-resident hunting license is not required to hunt depredating feral hogs or coyotes on private property with landowner authorization."

I believe all they took out was the "depredating" part. So the way I read it yeah no license required.

There's places near me that offer nighttime hog hunting. Maybe it'll make it a bit cheaper for out-of-state folks to have a little fun.

Example hunt:
http://nighthogs.com/About_NightHogs.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,426 Times in 4,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post
many states with pig problems make yu jump thru hoops to shoot the pigs they are having problems with. ok, stupid?

hopefully texas has ended that cycle. im sure this is on state lands only. farmers that bitch about pigs will still charge for hunting on them. and I can see that. the liability is huge.
Many states also have problems with other types of illegals.....those for the most part are protected.
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 51,595 Times in 18,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post

What state lands? What federal lands? The state and the Fed have almost no land here in Texas. What little there is of it are coastal marshes and estuaries, places no one is allowed to go for the most part.

99.9% of land you will hunt pig here is owned by a private individual in Texas.

Most farmers will beg you to shoot them. The only people who pay for pig hunting are the tourists who hire guides to help find the pigs in a hurry.

As long as they are NFA registered you can even use a machine gun on them....from your helicopter at night using spotlights or NVG.

Texas is actively looking to remove all state hoops of any sort that impedes killing the menaces.

The only real issue to deal with is the landowners now. Almost all who have the threat on their property are happy to see them hunted as long as you keep people, property, and other game safe.

Worry about the other states making things complicated. Texas doesn't have those problems.

Quote:
Better get the landowner to OK it. People tend to shoot back here when they hear gunfire on their property they didn't expect.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 06:24 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 3,518 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Yes, but land owners will ask what you’re doing on their property.

TX has almost no public property available for hunting. This is not because the limit their public property hunting, but that there is no public property.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 AM

Texas Parks and Wildlife maintains a short list of active leases for all types of hunting.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwi.../listlease.php

The prices seem crazy different, I saw a $1700 lease and another that was as little as $150. I've never used one of these but it seems like an easy way to access land for a hunt.

Not on the list are all the big East Texas timber companies. That's how my family hunted when I grew up. You just have to research a particular company and see what they offer. Here's an example:

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/recreational-access/
The Following User Says Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post
Texas Parks and Wildlife maintains a short list of active leases for all types of hunting.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwi.../listlease.php

The prices seem crazy different, I saw a $1700 lease and another that was as little as $150. I've never used one of these but it seems like an easy way to access land for a hunt.

Not on the list are all the big East Texas timber companies. That's how my family hunted when I grew up. You just have to research a particular company and see what they offer. Here's an example:

https://www.weyerhaeuser.com/recreational-access/
+1 on timber companies.

With almost no state lands it is good to check out large institutional land owners.

Timber, minerals/oil, utilities, and railroads all own a lot of land. Sadly the last two have it in long strips not typically suitable for hunting.

There are a lot of hunting leases here. Private reserves are big business here. Hell, Texas is preserving more rare African species than Africa bothers to. Exotic hunting abounds here. Those places are complicated. They also want the damn pigs dead, but they fear idiots who will kill their other valuable wildlife. Tourist shooters need to post a huge bond against killing one of their prize animals. Mostly they just use locals they can trust to cull the pigs. But it should be a lot easier at deer leases. If it is not deer season they are pleased to offer access to hunt just pig outside of deer season. Though they will charge a modest fee for having to go open it for you. Most of the smaller adverts for pig hunting are these deer leases.

Farmers remain the best option because they really want those pigs dead and gone. Most Texans use them to hunt. But the singular entity nature of a farm makes it hard for tourist hunters to locate them to make a deal.

All in all, for an out of state shooter the timber companies are the best place to start if you don't have a local hunting for a spot for you.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,328 Times in 686 Posts

You will need proof of a hunters safety course even if you don't need a hunting lic .

Texas is very strict about that.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:42 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
You will need proof of a hunters safety course even if you don't need a hunting lic .

Constitutional types frequently point out that for all the gun freedoms in Texas that we require skill tests and that somehow that translates to gun restrictions. It's why we never get top billing when they do those lists on the most gun friendly states.

Texans however seem to be OK with skill tests and not feel constitutionally restricted. We have responsibility and skill as integral to our gun culture. And we trust the state not to turn the skill requirements into an ownership restriction.

I can see the argument the constitutionalists are trying to make, but we've made this work for us. It requires a degree of trust that citizens and state must both make work. It helps a lot that our state government is mostly absent and most weapon law changes typically tend to be lifting of restrictions. We don't see Austin as a place looking all the time to steal our guns. Any restrictions tend to originate from the wildlife and game commission and the TDPW is one of the most popular and publicly government entities here. If the game wardens want to restrict us we are typically OK with it because we have wickedly awesome game management here.

It's just a shame that there is far less trust in others states between civilians and government about guns. Both sides work on the trust constantly here. It helps citizens here feel both safe and free.

Gun control is a very different concept here. It means being able to safely and effectively hit a righteous target.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:04 AM
No Longer Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post

Can it be a Florida course? DD214?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 3,518 Times in 1,460 Posts

If you want to easily hunt hogs or any exotics, year around, in TX, Google one of the thousand of private ranches that offer these hunts. Most ranches will allow you to hunt hogs or predator animals for free with the cost of an exotic hunt. Guided Hog hunts are usually $200-400 per day depending on location and services. You will be guaranteed the opportunity to harvest these animals. The hunts will be either free range spot and stalk or blind based hunts. It really depends on what type of hunt you want.

If you really want a challenging, free range, mountain hunting experience, I’d suggest looking into a West TX Davis Mountains Aoudad Hunt.

Who needs to take Hunter Education?

Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete hunter education. Minimum age for certification is 9 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.
age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete hunter education, OR you must be accompanied.
age 17 and over, you must successfully complete hunter education; OR purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral,” and you must be accompanied.
What does "accompanied" mean?

Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Note: Proof of certification is not required to purchase a hunting license.

Do I qualify for a Hunter Education Deferral?
Any person 17 years of age or older who has not completed hunter education may defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. You must be accompanied while hunting if you have a deferral. Note: The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors and costs $10. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:55 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Can it be a Florida course? DD214?
Texas recognizes out of state courses or honorably discharged veterans.

But you must have proof on your person while hunting. The tricky part can be what is considered proof. Many times the state DD214 proof cannot be a simple photocopy. I had a photocopy of mine when renewing my license plate and was offered either disabled vet or a service branch tag and the idiot there demanded my original document! I told them in no uncertain terms could they manhandle it. I told them there are more originals of the US Constitution than of my DD214. Then they started demanding all kinds of DoD proof and I told them to screw it and just give me a plain tag.

So if you have a Florida course card or certificate I recommend that over trying to go traipsing through the woods with your original DD214 folded up in your jacket. Game wardens here are like most places and are LEO gods with crazy strong powers. Most are great guys, but it only takes one jackass to ruin the whole deal by saying your photocopy DD214 isn't good enough and starts opening that ticket book to fine you stupid amounts of money. Just because we have hunter friendly rules and a great game commission doesn't mean we don't get a few power drunk wardens out there.

Anyone who would rather just get the Texas course it is only $30 for an online class: https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hun...-certification

Those with NRA membership can get Texas training from them for $5.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 AM
No Longer Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Texas recognizes out of state courses or honorably discharged veterans.

But you must have proof on your person while hunting. The tricky part can be what is considered proof. Many times the state DD214 proof cannot be a simple photocopy. I had a photocopy of mine when renewing my license plate and was offered either disabled vet or a service branch tag and the idiot there demanded my original document! I told them in no uncertain terms could they manhandle it. I told them there are more originals of the US Constitution than of my DD214. Then they started demanding all kinds of DoD proof and I told them to screw it and just give me a plain tag.

So if you have a Florida course card or certificate I recommend that over trying to go traipsing through the woods with your original DD214 folded up in your jacket. Game wardens here are like most places and are LEO gods with crazy strong powers. Most are great guys, but it only takes one jackass to ruin the whole deal by saying your photocopy DD214 isn't good enough and starts opening that ticket book to fine you stupid amounts of money. Just because we have hunter friendly rules and a great game commission doesn't mean we don't get a few power drunk wardens out there.

Anyone who would rather just get the Texas course it is only $30 for an online class: https://tpwd.texas.gov/education/hun...-certification

Those with NRA membership can get Texas training from them for $5.
Born before 71, so exempt. That way I don't have to worry about it lol