Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Drug use and related crimes are really getting out of control everywhere up here
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2017, 03:07 AM

I wish I moved sooner!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CharlieWJ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieWJ View Post
I wish I moved sooner!

Haha, indeed! We just bought some wooded property on the Kenai Peninsula... will be nice to be able to get out of Anchorage and relax.
The Following User Says Thank You to LazyBones For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,172 Times in 334 Posts

Interesting post. I've witnessed first hand the real Alaska.

I first went to Alaska in 1960 when my father was in the Air Force. We lived on Badger (6 mile road) then. We shot moose out the front door of the house.

Later, 1971, I was working for the RailRoad in Wyoming and saw they were advertizing for Brakemen on the Alaska RailRoad. I called and was hired over the phone. Moved back to Alaska April '72. Was sent to Healy to put add coal cars to the trains.

There was no place to live so I went to Lignite, a siding 3 miles north, and built a cabin on railroad land. No questions asked. Just did it.

After a couple years being laid off each winter, I moved to Anchorage and worked for the PD. In my 20 years there I saw Anchorage go down hill fast.

While still in Healy I joined the National Guard and was all over the state. Spent a few years as Company commander of a couple of Native Units on the Bering Sea, living with the Natives. That was real Alaska.

In my 22 years living there I learned quick that everything I went to Alaska for was better in Wyoming. Alaska went to poop and Wyoming stayed Wyoming.

In 1994 I moved back to Wyoming.

In Alaska you had to work your tail off to get a moose for winter meat. It got worse as time went on.

Its nothing for me to pick up an elk, a couple deer, couple of antelope here. Last year we finished the hunting season with two elk, 3 deer and 5 antelope in the freezer. We're on the same track this season.

I use to drift the Yukon and Tanana Rivers staying in old abandoned trapper cabins along the banks. Now those rivers are bumper to bumper with boats. Cars on the highways are worse during hunting seasons.

I went back in 2012 to my step sons wedding. I took my granddaughter and all she wanted to do was see a moose. Drove through Montana, Alberta, BC, Yukon, AK and back. Found her moose in the Big Horns in north central Wyoming.

Not saying I wont go back. I have a friend of mine who wants me to come up to Glenallen bear hunting. Still have a son up there so I wont have to pay the high price for a guide if I want to try for a grizzly. Might do a halibut trip to. Still burnt out on salmon so I'll pass that.

Regardless, I'll stay in Wyoming tell I die.

Alaska quit being Alaska in the late 70s and early 80s, unless you are super rich and can fly out.

I do miss a lot of my time in Alaska, mainly from my time living on St. Lawrence Island, Teller, or Brevic Mission. Being none native I cant hunt marine animals, but the latter two Villages are on the main land so I could have hunted caribou and moose.

That was, and I'm pretty sure, will always be the real Alaska.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy View Post
Interesting post. I've witnessed first hand the real Alaska.

I first went to Alaska in 1960 when my father was in the Air Force. We lived on Badger (6 mile road) then. We shot moose out the front door of the house.

Later, 1971, I was working for the RailRoad in Wyoming and saw they were advertizing for Brakemen on the Alaska RailRoad. I called and was hired over the phone. Moved back to Alaska April '72. Was sent to Healy to put add coal cars to the trains.

There was no place to live so I went to Lignite, a siding 3 miles north, and built a cabin on railroad land. No questions asked. Just did it.

After a couple years being laid off each winter, I moved to Anchorage and worked for the PD. In my 20 years there I saw Anchorage go down hill fast.

While still in Healy I joined the National Guard and was all over the state. Spent a few years as Company commander of a couple of Native Units on the Bering Sea, living with the Natives. That was real Alaska.

In my 22 years living there I learned quick that everything I went to Alaska for was better in Wyoming. Alaska went to poop and Wyoming stayed Wyoming.

In 1994 I moved back to Wyoming.

In Alaska you had to work your tail off to get a moose for winter meat. It got worse as time went on.

Its nothing for me to pick up an elk, a couple deer, couple of antelope here. Last year we finished the hunting season with two elk, 3 deer and 5 antelope in the freezer. We're on the same track this season.

I use to drift the Yukon and Tanana Rivers staying in old abandoned trapper cabins along the banks. Now those rivers are bumper to bumper with boats. Cars on the highways are worse during hunting seasons.

I went back in 2012 to my step sons wedding. I took my granddaughter and all she wanted to do was see a moose. Drove through Montana, Alberta, BC, Yukon, AK and back. Found her moose in the Big Horns in north central Wyoming.

Not saying I wont go back. I have a friend of mine who wants me to come up to Glenallen bear hunting. Still have a son up there so I wont have to pay the high price for a guide if I want to try for a grizzly. Might do a halibut trip to. Still burnt out on salmon so I'll pass that.

Regardless, I'll stay in Wyoming tell I die.

Alaska quit being Alaska in the late 70s and early 80s, unless you are super rich and can fly out.

I do miss a lot of my time in Alaska, mainly from my time living on St. Lawrence Island, Teller, or Brevic Mission. Being none native I cant hunt marine animals, but the latter two Villages are on the main land so I could have hunted caribou and moose.

That was, and I'm pretty sure, will always be the real Alaska.
I've been through Wyoming, I really liked it.

IIRC if you want to come back to hunt with your buddy via your sons residency, your son will need to be with you
Old 02-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,273 Times in 742 Posts

At least they go to Alaska to live.

They only come to Florida to die. or get arrested.
The Following User Says Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManVsLawn View Post
At least they go to Alaska to live.

They only come to Florida to die. or get arrested.
DON'T they refer to Florida as "God's waiting room?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,297 Posts

MY DREAm of Alaska living is to get something in the around 40' class and just live on the boat on the Inside Passage in some little out of the way fjord, and when I get tired of the view of whales and glaciers and mountains, move to a different one and start all over again.

Otherwise I am stuck doing May camping trips to get there and then get away before the kids get out of school and the place is buried in people who think a picture hugging the baby moose will be OK with mamma cow because they saw it once on a Disney cartoon.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,080 Times in 676 Posts

Up until last week, i worked with a guy who just packed up a big box truck and began his two week drive out to his new home in alaska. Im so jealous
Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Alaskan View Post
It's possible this question won't sit well with some people, but I have to ask...

Am I the only one who doesn't want people to move up here?

Anchorage has become "Little Seattle," the Valley has become infested with fly-ins, Homer has turned into an artsy fartsy town that becomes one giant mob every summer.

I just want Alaska to be LEFT ALONE.

Even though I work for the oil companies, part of me hoped Ballot Measure 1 had passed back in August just so that a nice chunk of the people in this state would leave.

The reason true Alaskans love it up here is because it's isolated, and you DON'T have to deal with people like you do Outside. But every year it seems like there's a new influx of immigrants.

The granola crunching yuppies who flock to REI and then think they're Mr. or Mrs. (or sometimes both or neither??) Mountain Climber.

The idiots who move up full of **** and vinegar and something to prove. You know the ones, the attitude like "Oh I'm a big man, I can go live in Alaska too where there's bears and moose and I'll be a real badass. I'll show them!"

Everybody ruining the Russian, Kenai, Mat-Su, and Copper Rivers. It's a truly depressing sight.

The idiots who jam up the highway out of Anchorage, parking on the side of the road for miles doing their God-damned sight seeing. Honestly, how stupid can they get? It's because of the moron tourists that that highway is labelled as one of the most dangerous roads in America.

Then the freaks who have the "Get nAKed" stickers on their trucks? Really??

What happened to the times when men were MEN?? THAT passes as "cool"?? Give me a break.

There's a reason that the joke goes "Welcome to Alaska! Please enjoy your visist, and PLEASE don't move here!"

I've often said that I'd love nothing more than to see the population of Alaska go from 500,000 to 5,000. Today, it's more like 600,000 to 6,000.

Anybody else frustrated by all of this?
I feel the same way about Arkansas!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Prepared

I have a customer that has a couple properties somewhere up there not sure where.

I always talk to him about hunting up there, he said now days it full of misfits and dopeheads.

Not like it was when he went up there in the 80ís.

Iíve always dreamed of going up there but donít see it happening.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,391 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill tyler View Post
he said now days it full of misfits and dopeheads.

Not like it was when he went up there in the 80’s.

True........especially in the cities. And Gangs, and lots of Murder, Rape, Kidnapping, Theft, Armed home invasions.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
MY DREAm of Alaska living is to get something in the around 40' class and just live on the boat on the Inside Passage in some little out of the way fjord, and when I get tired of the view of whales and glaciers and mountains, move to a different one and start all over again.

Otherwise I am stuck doing May camping trips to get there and then get away before the kids get out of school and the place is buried in people who think a picture hugging the baby moose will be OK with mamma cow because they saw it once on a Disney cartoon.
The Inside Passage isn't free from growth and tourists. We live in SE and are commercial fishermen so I spend more than half my life traveling up and down the AK section of the passage, plus twice yearly trips all the way through to WA. The past couple years the UnCruises have been growing like crazy so more often than not we anchor in a quiet little bay all alone but wake up to a 1-200' mini cruise ship anchoring next to us. They throw crab pots out every night to get fresh crab for their guests, so now our subsistence pots always come up empty. The rivers way out in remote areas that my husband grew up fishing on are now a constant parade of fly-in fly fishermen.

I'm afraid that the only part of Alaska not currently being overrun by tourists and newcomers would be the arctic..
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildfyre For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 11:19 PM
The river flows

You should see our provincial parks in Ontario south of French River. You better book your summer spot in March, and I'm not exaggerating.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,719 Posts

Well, I reckon that as a US citizen there are 50 states
and some few territories in addition
that I should be able to move to.