PA Resident traveling to Virgina-Gun Laws? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article on NRA denounces its "very scary" agenda zooeyhll Firearms General Discussion 79 07-20-2018 01:52 PM
North Carolina Democrats to Model California Gun Laws AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 06-08-2018 02:09 AM
Brazilian Gun Laws Have Created a Nightmare AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-24-2018 08:30 AM
"Why would anyone own a gun like that?" NightOwl265 General Discussion 331 03-09-2018 04:09 PM
Trump and NY gun laws Ofurhang General Discussion 37 11-13-2016 10:37 AM

Old 04-14-2019, 12:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,248 Times in 2,547 Posts
Default PA Resident traveling to Virgina-Gun Laws?

Advertise Here

Me and the kids are taking a trip to Busch Gardens Virginia and Wash DC.

I'm a PA resident. I know VA and PA do not have reciprocity.

I will not stay overnight in DC due to their gun laws. I will stay in VA (probably Alexandria) and taxi/metro over to DC with the kids.

Since I am stopping overnight, I know FOPA doesn't cover me.

I'd like to have my daily carry handgun and an AR15 with me.

What are the rules in VA for handguns and long guns?

I came across an article that said certain counties/cities have more restrictive gun laws.

I will might pass through Maryland on my way home..not stopping except for gas, food and/or emergencies.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 15,224 Times in 6,382 Posts

Be careful! VA has always been unfriendly to out of stat gun owners. It has been a long time but I doubt they are any better.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 01:21 PM
What?

Thanked 8,989 Times in 3,784 Posts

You can always follow my old mans favorite words of wisdom to us as kids...."Do what you want. Just dont get caught".

That always worked well for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:

Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,827 Times in 1,761 Posts
Default PA Resident traveling to Virgina-Gun Laws?

You might want to check handgunlaw.us. I had a wedding in Virginia, my Ohio CCW would be good for every state except Maryland. I left the guns at home because of the 50 mile stretch of Maryland highway I had to travel on.

FWIW the NRA firearms museum in Fairfax was the highlight of my weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 4,927 Times in 2,292 Posts

Can't tell you bout Va., but here's some info on Md. Both handgun and rifle must be unloaded and best cased. Mags can be loaded, but they cannot be in the firearm. You may hear that they have to be in the trunk and separated but that's not true. Just remember empty chamber not loaded mag in the gun.

My only concern with your itinerary is what you will do with them when you go out to DC. You can't take them there. and really shouldn't leave them in a hotel room. Locked in a vehicle is not so safe either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
Can't tell you bout Va., but here's some info on Md. Both handgun and rifle must be unloaded and best cased. Mags can be loaded, but they cannot be in the firearm. You may hear that they have to be in the trunk and separated but that's not true. Just remember empty chamber not loaded mag in the gun.

My only concern with your itinerary is what you will do with them when you go out to DC. You can't take them there. and really shouldn't leave them in a hotel room. Locked in a vehicle is not so safe either.
I read some older information that said that mags needed to be empty. But that has changed since those articles/posts were put up and thanks for confirming that.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:26 PM
No Longer Rambling

Thanked 7,196 Times in 1,708 Posts

TBH, if you are going to DC leave the guns at home. Driving through MD with guns cased and unloaded will be fine. VA has open carry, but that might just be for Virginians. You might want to check. Do not get caught with guns in DC.
The Following User Says Thank You to A_SonofLiberty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Nationalist, Combat Vet

Thanked 43,263 Times in 9,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Robert View Post
Me and the kids are taking a trip to Busch Gardens Virginia and Wash DC.

I'm a PA resident. I know VA and PA do not have reciprocity.

I will not stay overnight in DC due to their gun laws. I will stay in VA (probably Alexandria) and taxi/metro over to DC with the kids.

Since I am stopping overnight, I know FOPA doesn't cover me.

I'd like to have my daily carry handgun and an AR15 with me.

What are the rules in VA for handguns and long guns?

I came across an article that said certain counties/cities have more restrictive gun laws.

I will might pass through Maryland on my way home..not stopping except for gas, food and/or emergencies.
You’re not traveling through a free country, Bud. The rules are whatever the cop says they are.

My best advice: Don’t make any sudden movements. When you hear the words “stop resisting”, your level of “screwed” is directly proportional to the volume at which it is screamed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 03:33 PM
Nationalist, Combat Vet

Thanked 43,263 Times in 9,071 Posts

What a tangled mess this is. Too bad Trump said national reciprocity is a no-go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBryan314 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Cross-eyed Target Shooter

Thanked 1,765 Times in 434 Posts

According to the NRA site Virginia now honors the Pennsylvania CCW permit. There was a short time a few years ago when we had a rogue Attorney General that Virginia didn't honor certain states permits, but that has been fixed. You can also phone ahead to VSP and get their information. That would be the safest thing to do. Get them to E-Mail it to you and you can print out a hard copy to have in your possession when you travel.

According to information posted on the Virginia State Police website, as of 1 JULY 2016 you should be OK for what you want to do. But check anyway.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BRING FIREARMS INTO EITHER MARYLAND OR DC!
The Following User Says Thank You to ingyow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBryan314 View Post
What a tangled mess this is. Too bad Trump said national reciprocity is a no-go.
I know.

Before I cross over to another state, I'll be storing my empty firearms in a locked Plano hard case under the "trunk pan" (spare tire area) in the Jeep. Mags/Ammo will be in lock boxes on rear seat floor.

I am aware that no firearms are allowed in DC.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,827 Times in 1,761 Posts

The thing that spooked me about Md was the state police have license plate readers and they actively cruse the freeway looking for CCW drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to petergunn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Thanked 8,801 Times in 3,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingyow View Post
According to the NRA site Virginia now honors the Pennsylvania CCW permit. There was a short time a few years ago when we had a rogue Attorney General that Virginia didn't honor certain states permits, but that has been fixed. You can also phone ahead to VSP and get their information. That would be the safest thing to do. Get them to E-Mail it to you and you can print out a hard copy to have in your possession when you travel.

According to information posted on the Virginia State Police website, as of 1 JULY 2016 you should be OK for what you want to do. But check anyway.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BRING FIREARMS INTO EITHER MARYLAND OR DC!
He is covered under FOPA while traveling through Maryland to his destination in Virginia as long as he follows MD transportation law.

My GF lives in VA and I legally transport my firearm through the few miles of Maryland every time I go to VA.

Our PA LTCF is valid in VA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 07:03 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,241 Times in 501 Posts

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html

Under 'states that honor my permit', click pa. You'll see VA DOES HONOR your permit. What doesn't jive, is a VA permit in PA. For whatever reason, your state does NOT honor my permit.

Technically, yes, you are supposed to be covered under FOPA while traveling. That doesn't mean the jackbooted nazi pig that pulls you over in the police state of maryland knows what FOPA is, and won't try to absolutely ruin your life just to fill his quota.

When I was looking to move here in VA, I took a half dozen trips, back and from from NJ to VA, looking at houses, jobs, etc. I specifically took the somewhat longer eastern shore route, rather than straight down 95; because the eastern shore route only went through 45min of the police state of md, in a rural, agricultural area. Nothing but farms, tractor stores, small towns.

Why? There was a well documented and publicized case just a year or two earlier at the time (2013ish).....a black couple, from florida, was traveling south through md, returning from a vacation up north somewhere. He was pulled over because 1- out of state plates, 2-probably because he was black, 3- their plate readers pinged a CCW. Cop came out, usual BS questions, then asked "I see you have a carry permit, where's your gun?". His wife blurted out 'oh he usually carries it, but I don't know where it is now.' He was drew down on, cuffed, back of the cruiser, car searched, taken to the police station, everything.......all for nothing. He didn't even HAVE his gun on him, it was safe at home 1000 miles away in FL. He SHOULD have raked those bastards over the coals, but instead he was of the "I just want it to go away, I don't even want the gun anymore" mindset, unfortunately.

That's how bad that state is, and why I avoided it like the plague that it is. The only time I went down 95 was the final move with the moving truck, and by then all my guns were already stored down here.

Point being....while technically you will be legal transporting through a police state, it doesn't mean you wont get uprooted and illegally hassled. The only solution, DON'T get pulled over, DON'T make yourself a target for them. Drive as safe as possible, hit the cruise on the limit, seatbelt, turn signals, etc. If the jackboots do pull you over, DON'T ANSWER ANYTHING, NEVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH. Period. You do NOT have to answer anything other than giving your paperwork. He asks anything else, you say "I don't answer questions without a lawyer, I don't consent to a search without a warrant."

Unfortunately I can't find it right now, but there are sites that tell specifically what you 'have' to do, and what you DON'T 'have' to do when pulled over in every state, ie: what paperwork do you have to show, do you even have to roll your window down all the way, are you required to leave the car, etc. Some surfing should find the links.

After all that, you are SAFE in VA. At least for now, until the libtards go full retard. I don't think you can carry in busch gardens, but I'm not sure, do not quote me on it. If it's prohibited, it needs to be on a sign at the entrance. Not on a website. DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING INTO DC, PERIOD. Personally, I'd think twice about bringing the AR, for the simple reason of it's scary to cops and libtards. Not to mention mag capacity while traveling through police states. If anything, bring a shotgun instead. God knows you won't need it anyway, but if you're bringing something 'just in case', then plan on 'just in case' you get pulled and somehow searched, a shotgun is less 'scary' than an AR, when you're out of state.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,899 Times in 2,125 Posts

Virginian here, Virginia honors every states permits. Yes including PA, even though yall dont honor ours. Virginia is gun friendly over all, although Alexandria might as well be called Southern DC. Open carry is also legal in this state for anyone over 18 that can legally own a gun, no permit needed.

Alexandria is the reason this state is blue though so keep that in mind. I avoid that area like the plague though so I cant speak to the social climate regarding guns there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin94 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

PA stopped honoring many reciprocity agreements due to the liberal AG we have.

AFAIK PA does not attach our LTCF to license plates.
Our LTCF is issued by the county sheriff not the “state”.
I had this conversation with the sheriff and he said the paperwork stays in his office.
If a law enforcement agency wants to verify a license they need to call his office.
This was a few years ago so maybe it has changed.

I do know when I was pulled over in WVA the trooper did not ask anything about guns so IMO he didn’t have a clue that I carry.
(I didn’t have my gun on me at the time so that’s why I didn’t notify him)

Could a cop make your trip a hell?
Sure.
But imo it is a rarity.
You don’t have to notify that you have a stored firearm as far as I know.
Most cops if they even do ask will ask if you have anything illegal in the vehicle.
Answering NO is not lying.
Federal law says you can transport your firearm.
If you really want to “be safe” use a locked box in the truck.
Empty handgun in the box, take the slide off even.
Mags in another container maybe put in the spare tire well or your bag.

The AR, I’d maybe take the upper off.
Mags unloaded and in another container.

I do take my AR but it’s a “pistol” and even so I do take the upper off.

Any reasonable cop would see that you have went beyond the transportation rules and unless you’re a huge **** you’ll be fine.
And if you get pulled over, record the stop.
Then if you do get in a bind you have proof of what really happened.

I interact with cops all the time, I’m amazed that I never seem to have all these problems that others seem to have.
I’m no bootlicker, I don’t do the yes sir no sir crap but I also don’t act like an ass.
Let them do their job, take the ticket and if the ticket wasn’t warranted then fight it.
I deal with DOT cops almost weekly.
I rarely get a fine, lots of warnings.
I joke with them.
They always ask how I’m doing today, and I usually make some sort of joke about my ex.
More times than not they’ll laugh and that sets the mood for the entire stop.

Being a jerk is how many people get in trouble.
Or being stupid, like the guys wife in the story above.

OP, head over to the PAFOA site and you’ll probably get actual legal opinion fro one of the gun lawyers who post there or you’ll find what you need by searching the forum itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
HMFIC

Thanked 1,241 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
Alexandria is the reason this state is blue though so keep that in mind. I avoid that area like the plague though so I cant speak to the social climate regarding guns there.

and hampton roads
The Following User Says Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,419 Times in 579 Posts

Northern Virginia has some dumb laws about carrying firearms but nothing you'd encounter unless you purposely went out of the way to do it. There are provisions in Loudoun and Fairfax county as well as Alexandria that prohibit you from carrying a firearm concealed with a 20rd or more magazine.

That's the biggest one off the top of my head but there are some other arbitrary ones you're likely to not break unless you do it intentionally.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.5x55 Swiss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 11:42 PM
Survivor

Thanks all.

I filtered through the old information on line and what everyone posted helped. A lot more confident I am "complying" with current states' laws.

Now to pack for a 400 mile (worst case) get home "bag" and supplies, for a 15 y/o boy & 16 y/o girl and me.

Ahh, the joys of traveling.
The Following User Says Thank You to PA_Robert For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM
Bunker Hill Patriot

Enjoy your trip.

We loved the museums in DC but we went in August and the heat was brutal.
Too many people and being outdoors was just horrible.
We skipped the monuments because of the oppressive heat.
Waking was just too much for the kids.

I’m planning on going again this year but I’m waiting until October or even November.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post: