Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time To Think About The Potato Patch AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-01-2018 10:00 AM
Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 Threaded Barrel at the 2018 SHOT Show AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 01-31-2018 04:40 PM
Watch: Hickok45 With A M&P Shield 2.0 AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-06-2017 03:00 PM
Watch: S&W M&P 2.0 Reliability Test AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-09-2017 03:30 PM
SHOT 2017: Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 Pistol AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 01-26-2017 07:30 PM

Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 AM
Prepared

Thumbs up Veggie 'patch' upgrade 2.0

Advertise Here

Good morning all,

Well, well, well after years of success and relative peace the monkeys have finally returned and happily went ahead and destroyed by veggie 'patch', much to my dismay to say the least...

As per my previous post, it appears the troop of Vervets 'wised up' to the fact that my Great Dane has long since passed and that my 2 present protectors are to short to reach the 6 foot wall and remove the offending troop leader... Or it could be a new troop, far removed from the memory of what happened to their previous 'leader', I'm not sure...

My assumption is that it is a new troop!!!

Nevertheless, I had to make a plan...

I've been trawling the net for months now in an attempt to find a cost effective method of protecting my 'crops' by the use of a greenhouse tunnel, but, the cost(s) of setting up was just to high. As time and luck would have it, there's a new 'kid' on the block and he's greenhouse tunnels are cost effective and exactly what I was looking for.

Garth, the owner of the business that sells the tunnels, started up in April and his justification for it was exactly what concerned me... The tunnels that were available in the market place were just to expensive, hence, he started bringing them into South Africa himself... Good man..

Here's what I've done...

So far, so good... The troop was around yesterday and the tunnel survived, here's hoping!!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 02:44 AM
Prepared

Default Up-cycling pallets for the shelving!!!

After building the bare-bones of the shelf with 76mm x 48mm pine, I up-cycled some old pallets for the shelving...

Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 AM

Sounds good but your pics aren't uploading...

we use chilli powder to keep the monkeys away from our tomatoes. They hate the smell but you have to keep applying it after every watering or rain.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 AM
Prepared

Strange... The photos are posting fine on my side?

Thank you for the pepper idea.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:44 AM

Was able to access the images by viewing the source code.

Thats a pretty neat tunnel you have. Would be great for a small hydropnics or aquaponics system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja-Nic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 PM

Nice! What was the cost on the tunnel setup i might be looking at something like that?

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 03:37 PM
n Boer maak n plan

Thanked 1,375 Times in 633 Posts

Monkeys are very scared of the male human voice and will ignore or be less afraid of a woman shouting at them, it's true I have experienced this many times. Not just the voice but your presence is enough to scare them off for a while, with some posturing. Perhaps you could make a tape recording of you shouting "LOOP!", then have that play when they come around again. Probably not very practical, but there you have it.

I also don't see your pics, will be interesting to see how you keeping them out. I feel for you these little ****s cause so much damage, personally I don't like shooting them but have had to in the past. You kill the one with the bluest balls (the alpha male) and that troop will never come back.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:22 AM
Prepared

Approx. R4000