Is your gun safe safe? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,377 Times in 6,808 Posts

Advertise Here

So far, my "safes" are totally safe.

No gun has yet escaped to cause fear and havoc.

I anticipate the same for the rest of my lifetime at least.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,602 Times in 1,693 Posts

A safe is even better when backed up buy a separate home gun insurance policy rider.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Wall safes are “ok”. They are usually easy to pull out of the wall, but can be hard to find.

FLOOR SAFES properly installed in a concrete foundation can be real hard to find and real hard to break into when you do. Cutting attacks are difficult as access is limited and you have to attack the safe door. You are going to have to use a sledge to busy it out OR actually drill / manipulate the lock. Using the sledge is too much like work most crooks. And cracking the safe will take a long time and some knowledge. Unless you are pretty rich , it’s not likely worth most crooks time.

The downside is floor safes are expensive to install and too small for most gun collections. Also many of us don’t have slabs.
I do not have a slab.
I will not give too many details but it involves solid poured concrete-steel rebar walls with one place where is a hidden space behind the wall that is covered by two blocks that were left empty. You would need a large diameter saw capable of cutting concrete and steel to pull those walls out or know exactly where to get through and that there is something behind it. You first need to get inside of a similarly constructed vault and know that there is a sublevel space behind it. This will be mainly for red flag seizures and Burglars.

I am retired and I do not go out that much and normally only for a few hours. The only indication that I am gone are the dogs patiently waiting at the gate for my return.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,837 Times in 1,902 Posts

Eh all of them can be destroyed in mins with a simple 5inch cut off wheel.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,006 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
And why not??
For the same reason that a bullet is pushed out of a gun barrel, PRESSURE!
In the case of a fire gun powder burns and expands rapidly, with loaded ammo it will rupture the case or just push the bullet out of the case. But if its in a container that holds pressure (ammo cans or a safe) then the expanding gas builds up to explosive proportions. That's why gun shop that sell powder keep in wooden boxes, because they will blow apart easily instead of becoming a bomb.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:24 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Eh all of them can be destroyed in mins with a simple 5inch cut off wheel.
A TL30 safe will take 30 minutes to cut open with proper tools and training.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:32 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Quote:
You shouldn’t keep ammo in a safe.
And why not?? [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
Several reasons. See the link below.

Basically fire risk. The ammo will damage your guns at lower temps than they will get damaged without ammo there. 1 or two rounds is no big deal but hundreds will be an issue.

Also any significance amount of powder shouldn’t be stored in a pressure tight container.

“ Do not subject the storage cabinets to close confinement. Storage cabinets should be constructed of insulating materials and with a weak wall seams or joints to provide an easy means of self-venting”

Also a chambered round can cook off during a fire and shoot somebody. So if you store guns loaded in a safe keep them in condition 1. Most should be unloaded for safety.

Large amounts of primers should not be stored together there are ways to separate them for safety. Again we aren’t talking about 30 rounds here.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articl...ire-ratings/3/
Old 10-12-2019, 05:03 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,249 Times in 3,341 Posts

I use cheap safes as ammo storage. Fire is not going to happen.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,903 Times in 727 Posts

My safe is a short walk away from about 20k dollars worth of assorted tools. There is no way it's going to keep a real thief out.

Fortunately, we don't have any real thieves around here. Just meth heads who look for a smash and grab. For those sorts my safe should be just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,166 Times in 5,702 Posts

I believe hidden rooms are best.
The Following User Says Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,027 Posts

I believe in easy to find safes that hold low value items, and high value items in concealed storage

if they bust the safes open on the scene, they waste their time and effort

if they haul them off, they waste more time and effort, and they are far away when they find out
The Following User Says Thank You to Explainist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 12:20 AM
I say I say

Thanked 1,337 Times in 505 Posts

And just another warning to all.....
I am a locksmith and safe tech.
If you have an electronic lock that is 5 years old or more... consider having a locksmith swap it out for a mechanical lock (preferably an s&g)...or change it every 5 years.
On Thursday I had to go open another failed s&g 6120 motorized electronic lock on a fortress (heritage economy line 30 minute rated safe).
Lock was manufactured 2007 but the safe purchase was in 2009.
Most of the failed electronics are about 7 years old if used infrequently like most gun safes (1 opening a day or less).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 08:50 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,544 Times in 2,074 Posts

So many electronic locks fail
I am surprised they are even sold anymore
In theory, there should be a good electronic option
But there is not
Don't be that guy

Munik knows what he is talking about
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 AM
Crazy

Thanked 10,249 Times in 3,341 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by munik View Post
If you have an electronic lock that is 5 years old or more... consider having a locksmith swap it out for a mechanical lock (preferably an s&g)...or change it every 5 years.
On Thursday I had to go open another failed s&g 6120 motorized electronic lock on a fortress (heritage economy line 30 minute rated safe).
Most of the failed electronics are about 7 years old if used infrequently like most gun safes (1 opening a day or less).
When I bought my safe it had two keys. Both keys had to turn and then there was a time delay before it opened. I didn’t want to deal with that so I had a safe company swap it out for a S and G lock.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,027 Posts

You would think the safe manufacturers would put an external power jack on them for when the batteries fail
Old 10-14-2019, 11:54 PM
I say I say

Thanked 1,337 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explainist View Post
You would think the safe manufacturers would put an external power jack on them for when the batteries fail
Almost everything I work on has battery(or batteries) behind the keypad.
I have worked on safes that had a model of Lagard electronic lock that had battery contacts on the face of the keypad for a backup form of providing power to the lock....but I haven't seen one in years.

If you do have an electronic lock, always use Duracell....that goes for safe locks, keyless deadbolts...essentially anything that takes a small battery...put a Duracell in it.

Doesn't hurt to put a volt meter on new batteries before you put them in....I have had a few brand new batteries that weren't fully charged. They are very rare but it is good to check before any battery in anything critical.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Nice to see a fellow locksmith.

And I agree , no electric locks on real safes. For fast access I guess they are ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuteandfuzzybunnies For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I have worked on safes that had a model of Lagard electronic lock that had battery contacts on the face of the keypad for a backup form of providing power to the lock....but I haven't seen one in years.

If you do have an electronic lock, always use Duracell....that goes for safe locks, keyless deadbolts...essentially anything that takes a small battery...put a Duracell in it.

Doesn't hurt to put a volt meter on new batteries before you put them in....I have had a few brand new batteries that weren't fully charged. They are very rare but it is good to check before any battery in anything critical.
I hope you don't mean duracell copper tops. They ooze and corrode battery compartments. Over the years they have changed something in the manufacutre of those batteries, used to be a good choice. No longer.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Several reasons. See the link below.

Basically fire risk. The ammo will damage your guns at lower temps than they will get damaged without ammo there. 1 or two rounds is no big deal but hundreds will be an issue.

Also any significance amount of powder shouldn’t be stored in a pressure tight container.

“ Do not subject the storage cabinets to close confinement. Storage cabinets should be constructed of insulating materials and with a weak wall seams or joints to provide an easy means of self-venting”

Also a chambered round can cook off during a fire and shoot somebody. So if you store guns loaded in a safe keep them in condition 1. Most should be unloaded for safety.

Large amounts of primers should not be stored together there are ways to separate them for safety. Again we aren’t talking about 30 rounds here.

https://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articl...ire-ratings/3/
Don't know if you read your link, it appears there is no risk of bulk ammo "exploding" your gun safe? So if all you store in your ammo safe is ammo, I don't see an issue.

Powder, yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,547 Times in 7,454 Posts

Quote:

Why Duracell and not some other battery? When I bought my safe I had read something similar prior that said the same thing and then when I looked at the owners manual it says Duracell or energizer. Just curious on the thinking on only Duracell. It was adamant on it bring an alkaline battery though..