5 Unique Survival & Bushcraft Shelters You Can Build in the Wild - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Default 5 Unique Survival & Bushcraft Shelters You Can Build in the Wild

Advertise Here

These are five unique survival and bushcraft shelters. They represent about three months of fulltime work spread out over a year and a half. They were done in a couple of very different environments two continents apart.

I have posted a couple of them before, but shelters numbers 1, 2 and 5 are brand new. Full-length videos on these, too, will be uploaded in the coming weeks.

1. Cold-Weather Debris Hut

This shelter may be the most familiar to those acquainted with primitive survival. The most basic setup for one of these only requires the two longer sides with the front left open. They are only meant to keep you out of the rain, shield you from the wind and provide shade.
This particular one is dubbed “cold-weather” because it has a front, it’s well insulated from the bottom and has an entrance that can be plugged. I am particularly proud of door plug here. I’m sure it has been done before, but I had to discover this for myself. It is – by far – the simplest and easiest means to completely insulate yourself from the elements in debris hut.

2. Open Shed with Reed-Thatched Roof

This structure may be the most unique out of all five. Technically speaking, the structure is formed by stacking the logs in a particular way and it is held together by nothing but gravity. Full disclosure: I decided to tie the junctions with paracord simply because just sliding one of the beams out, any one of them, will cause the entire thing to come down. It is unlikely to happen, I just didn’t want to have to worry about it. For this very reason, I will say: DO NOT try this at home!

3. Long-Term Survival Hut, Rammed-Earth Walls, Debris Roof

This a tiny little thing, you can only sleep in it curled-up. Many people expect the outer walls to be “daubed” but it was designed as rammed-earth-wall shelter. The debris roof – because of the way the leaves are stacked – actually sheds the water to the edge of the walls. I only get a little bit of leakage in one section where the wall ended up being only about 4-inches wide. And no, it does NOT turn into a pool in heavy rain because it was built on a slight mound.

4. Adobe Cabin with Cedar Bark Roof

This was my first major bushcraft build. The walls are a mixture of muck, clay and sand with a good chunk of pine needles in the mix. The roof consists of two distinct shingled cedar bark layers. This was the most amount of work out of the five shelters represented in this video, but it was well worth it because it got me through the winter!

5. Insulated Scout Pit

A scout pit can serve to different functions. It is actually a long-term shelter that keep you hidden from prying eyes. These can be built on route from A to B if the journey requires an overnight stay in hostile territory. It can also serve as cache site for various supplies in case of a catastrophe. Once the landscape has a chance to settle back to what it was before, you can stand right on this thing and not know it’s there.

Is it waterproof? – you might ask. It depends on the amount of rain, I guess. So far, it has only seen seasonally-appropriate fall precipitation and the inside stayed dry. That much rain just gets absorbed by the soil on top without leaking through.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AspiringCaveman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 03:14 PM

Nice work! #3 and #5 are my favorites. Excellent contribution to SB.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dread11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 04:56 PM
Jr. Member; Sr. Body

Thanked 3,028 Times in 452 Posts

Wow; don't have the experience to comment on the shelters, but appreciate the work that you put into them, and the construction.

Darn good video!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old_code For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 06:53 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,484 Times in 6,999 Posts

DIY primitive shelters depend a lot on the natural materials available.
This one worked very well.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:47 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,666 Times in 2,569 Posts

Here's the reason i always have a tarp or poncho with me. Setup several minutes over spending over an hour in most cases making a suitable shelter. Even incorporated in a shelter as the above if there'd be a need for it, for extended stays.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread11 View Post
Nice work! #3 and #5 are my favorites. Excellent contribution to SB.
Thanks for that!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=bunkerbuster;19820430]DIY primitive shelters depend a lot on the natural materials available.
This one worked very well.

Totally true. That's some awesome supply of bark there.
The Following User Says Thank You to AspiringCaveman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:56 AM
Nationalist, Combat Vet

Thanked 46,161 Times in 9,670 Posts

OP, I may be able to post up an article on American Partisan about survival shelters, and if it’s fine by you, I’ll attach the video to it. Ok?
Old 10-12-2019, 07:08 PM

This is an amazing thread. Nice work.

I learned a bit from these builds.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:42 PM

Really impressive work