Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you backpack, hike, with a "normal" backpack? Determined Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 29 06-29-2016 06:24 PM
Waterproof gas can Jamesconn Vehicles & Transportation 1 08-02-2014 05:40 PM
UST Waterproof Paper Pad 4x6 Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 06-12-2014 09:57 AM
Waterproof Gear KingofCarrotFlowers Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 04-01-2014 06:55 AM
Waterproof Case for BOB Runtime Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 03-12-2014 07:50 PM
Hoodie Backpack & Backpack Bicycle McGuyversurvivor Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 02-14-2014 10:53 PM
DIY waterproof map DanR7985 DIY - Do It Yourself 3 12-16-2011 07:46 AM
Need recommendations for a waterproof bag for FAK proventheory Urban Survival 6 02-12-2011 05:48 PM
Waterproof Backpack, $34.99, 25 Liter Size (1,500 cubic inches) Branned Reviews and questions 1 04-21-2010 02:17 PM
waterproof boots metze Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 23 12-14-2008 09:11 PM

Old 05-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Waterproof Backpack

Advertise Here

New user so I'm sure I'm asking a question already discussed, sorry. I'm looking for waterproof (or as close as you can get) backpacks to use as BOB. Has anyone run across items like this? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
V

Thanked 34,644 Times in 13,900 Posts

Depends where you are in the world alot of the guys states side swear by Medium sized Alice packs, from what I can gather. Stay away from the copy's though.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Woman Hater

Thanked 1,444 Times in 495 Posts

No pack is 100% waterproof. Now, you can make it water resistant through many uses such as using water resistant spray for tents. However, I don't bother with this as I store all my gear in Zip Lock bags which keeps water off my gear and is also submersible.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:16 PM

I've seen a couple of these in person, and they look like they would withstand quite a bit of rain. As far as water crossing though, who knows.
http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/backpacks.html
Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,235 Times in 2,331 Posts

You can purchase "Dry Bags" they are designed for water type stuff. I have some for my canoe. They have shoulder straps, but they are more like a duffel bag. $$$
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2008, 09:36 PM

I have used a medium Alice pack for many years now . You can buy water proofing spray for just about any material . Not to say that a driving downpour will not get sometning wet . i pack all sensitive stuff in a freezer bag in the pack so no problem there .
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Dry Bags in side a ALICE is the way to go. Pelican cases for the delicate stuff, and dry bags for the rest. Start here:
http://www.drybags.com/home.html
Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM
I drink your milkshake!

How much do you want to spend? Arc'Teryx makes some great, fully waterproof backpacks. They also offer cammo and OD variets with MOLLE system through their LEAF (Law Enforecement Armed Forces) line. You can't buy LEAF stuff from them, but you can through some online resellers.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/default.asp

Caution, you could buy one of these, or a 1984 Hyundai Pony. They are not cheap.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 AM

Default water proof

I really like the dry bad idea. Last year I spent 11 days in the alaskan backcountry in an pro pioneer inflatable. All of my gear was inside dry bags and then I packed them in external frame pack. I did go in the drink a couple times with all my gear with me, but everything stayed dry, excluding myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to tennesseebiff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Hiker

Typically I put everything into a U.S. Army wet weather bag, which then goes into my backpack. The wet weather bag needs to be inspected to ensure any holes present are patched. For patching, a strip of duct or gorilla tape has worked for me. Additionally, every thing inside of the bag is then placed in its own dry bag, usually consisting of ziplock freezer bags. Redundancy is the key.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Redundancy and compartmentalization(sp).

Imagine this: It has been raining for a day and a half, and it's time to get into your pack for something. If everything you have is inside one dry bag, then everything you have risks being wet when you open that dry bag. Personally I actually use big ziplock bags inside my dry bag for things I want to really keep dry...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk View Post
Redundancy and compartmentalization(sp).

Imagine this: It has been raining for a day and a half, and it's time to get into your pack for something. If everything you have is inside one dry bag, then everything you have risks being wet when you open that dry bag. Personally I actually use big ziplock bags inside my dry bag for things I want to really keep dry...

That's the truth barry. I picked this up http://www.cdnninvestments.com/lorapapanewb.html

and have a waterproof duffel bag liner taking up half of it. It's full of ziplock freezer bags containing all the stuff that I don't want wet. The other half of it has a nylon organization bag for other stuff to keep orgainized/stacked in order of important items. I want the main bag itself to breathe. That one has drain holes in case any water gets in there.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,859 Times in 3,158 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

How about using large garbage or rubble bags (these are much stronger) to line a regular rucksack.

They're cheap.

Last edited by Yorkshire Boy; 06-06-2008 at 03:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorkshire Boy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 AM

Real Drybags are sealable and difficult to hole. Army waterproof bags aren't much better than trash bags. Trash bags can be used as field expedient, but think of it this way, you have your choice of bags, trashbags, whatever. Put the 5 most important/valuable things you have in the bag of your choice and chuck it into a pond. What bag do you want to choose now?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:05 AM

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Pr...rimor-Sabre-75
used by Ray Mears

or

http://www.duluthpack.com/product_de...oduct=Monarchs
long time (50+ years) North woods favorite.

Neither is waterproof, nor any backpack. Get some garbage bags or rubble sacks like Yorkshireboy said.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM

Since most packs aren't waterproof for more than a couple of hours, I always use a waterproof cover if it doesn't stop raining too soon. And I always put my stuff in (strong) garbage bags.

Here's what I mean:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___60809

It's called a backpack raincover. You can get them in several sizes, according to your the size of your backpack. The only thing I don't like about it is that if you want to grab something you have to pull back the cover..but that's not a big problem in my opinion.

Greetings from Holland
Old 08-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4V View Post
I've seen a couple of these in person, and they look like they would withstand quite a bit of rain. As far as water crossing though, who knows.
http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/backpacks.html
Thanks for this link, I'm also looking for a waterproof backpack, and this link helps me to find out. Though, it is not 100% waterproof.It still works for me.Thanks!

--
"Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude."
Max collins vibram
Old 10-09-2019, 05:13 AM

I need to know which service is the best from the ones listed on the site? SEO for Credit Unions
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,136 Times in 1,791 Posts

I use dry bags for backpacking gear. https://www.rei.com/product/777725/s...a-sil-dry-sack
One for the sleeping bag, one for clothes, one for food, and one for miscellaneous small items.