**Ladies Section** I'm pretty sure the price of meat butter, and eggs will go up soon - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 10-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,718 Times in 5,257 Posts
Default **Ladies Section** I'm pretty sure the price of meat butter, and eggs will go up soon

Advertise Here

The hay harvest has not been good, and so the cost of hay is up. And, the scuttlebut from many sources say that the Fall grain harvest will not be good, either.

That means the cost of animal feed will go up, and a high cost of animal feed means that the price of meat, eggs, and butter will eventually go up as well. Because farmers and feedlots will not sell at a loss f they can help it

So, every time I shop I buy some cans of meat. And, I went to a big Fall meat sale and froze the meat for this winter. Because, i would rather pay $4 a pound for roast right now than pay $7 a pound for roast later.

I like to eat well. And, I intend to eat well this winter,

Last edited by kokosmom2; 10-06-2019 at 02:29 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 1,582 Times in 445 Posts

I've been seeing it slowly inch up for months. We have a local mom and pop store that used to sell butter for $3.98#. Its $5.68# now and has been since June.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,922 Times in 12,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFrugalPrepper View Post
I've been seeing it slowly inch up for months. We have a local mom and pop store that used to sell butter for $3.98#. Its $5.68# now and has been since June.
WOW I paid 2.49 today at the local Hispanic Market. I always stock up before the holidays, maybe I should do that earlier this year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
WOW I paid 2.49 today at the local Hispanic Market. I always stock up before the holidays, maybe I should do that earlier this year.
Our sale price for most stores is $2.98 now. Occasionally I've been able to get $1.99 but it's rare.

I can't get beef cheap anymore either. Sale price on cheap 80/20 is $2.98#. On ground Angus it's $4.29#.

Even bread went up over $0.40 a loaf at our local Dollar General.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 05:31 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,794 Times in 3,293 Posts

Fewer sales at WF on meat, and now it's usually pork sausage.
No sales on bacon in the case for months.
Far fewer cuts of grass fed beef in the case, and they seem to run out sooner. A lot more pasture-raised and regular.
Haven't seen a sale anywhere on chicken for some time.
Haven't seen a sale anywhere on packaged grass-fed hamburger (organic or otherwise) in months.
Butter is $1 more this year than last year, and there hasn't been a sale (there's usually a couple during the summer).
Local eggs still go on sale from time-to-time, but none of the rest.
Cheese is higher. The dairy guy told me it's going to get worse, and the rest of dairy is going to go up eventually.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,492 Times in 6,329 Posts

didn't see it was in the womens' section
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 02:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,868 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have noticed the prices at most stores has gone up. If they haven't gone up they have cut the amount per container. Kleenex used to be $1 at the dollar tree and still is $1 but the content has gone down to 140 double sheets compared to what is was prior Used to be 160 double sheets.. Even Aldi has same size but what was a $1 is now $1.09. Beef has gone up as well as all other meats. Gotta really watch the sales.. If butter is on sale I usually buy 10 to 15 pounds and put in freezer. The other day Menards had the clumping Kitty Litter on sale reg was 11.99 for 40 lbs sale price was 6.99. I picked up 9 as my cats are indoor cats. I am being as careful as I can with sales and usually buy in bulk.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Off the leash

Thanked 2,065 Times in 873 Posts

A few weeks ago 2 18 packs of eggs was 1.62. Now they are almost $4. A dozen eggs doubled in price too in just a few weeks.

We don't buy a lot of meat very often so I don't know about the prices of them, but I know the prices of almost everything else is going up too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.sardog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Trying to Catch-up

Thanked 35,183 Times in 15,021 Posts

I have my own chickens so I'm hoping chicken food won't go up. I just bought a 1/4 of beef at $3.54/lb. That should last me quite awhile. Butter here is $2.99/lb and has been steady all summer. Most places run a sale on butter closer to the holidays. I'll stock up like I always do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kokosmom2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 09:43 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,088 Posts

We buy beef straight from a neighboring farm, have our own chickens and buy milk/butter from local Mennonites but even we have seen an uptick in prices. I expect it will be worse after the fall harvests once people realize they don’t have what they expected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catlady12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Survivor

A farmer up north has said that he is losing about $100 on every head. That can't be good.

I have decided to use up a shelf of produce in my freezer and replace it with ground beef. At the moment I have 2 big bags of peaches in the dehydrator, and tomorrow I will see what else I can do

Americans are spoiled rotten. The thing is, I do not object to being spoiled, and so I will eat beef this winter without breaking the bank. And, I feel very sorry for the people in Northern California-who are mostly conservatives- who will have their power shut off for a solid week next week because it is going to be "windy". PG&E had to pay a huge fine last year because they did not keep the branches cut back from the tree limbs, and this caused a huge fire called the "campfire".

That means that the citizens must either get a generator or loose what is in their freezers
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:35 PM
Survivor

And ANOTHER farmer points out a problem:

Old 10-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
A farmer up north has said that he is losing about $100 on every head. That can't be good.

I have decided to use up a shelf of produce in my freezer and replace it with ground beef. At the moment I have 2 big bags of peaches in the dehydrator, and tomorrow I will see what else I can do

Americans are spoiled rotten. The thing is, I do not object to being spoiled, and so I will eat beef this winter without breaking the bank. And, I feel very sorry for the people in Northern California-who are mostly conservatives- who will have their power shut off for a solid week next week because it is going to be "windy". PG&E had to pay a huge fine last year because they did not keep the branches cut back from the tree limbs, and this caused a huge fire called the "campfire".

That means that the citizens must either get a generator or loose what is in their freezers
It's funny you mention using up things in the freezer. I actually just stuck half a loaf of bread and an almost full bag of hamburger buns IN the freezer. It's just the girls and I when Iyaayas is on the road and we go through it so slow. With prices going up, I'd rather freeze and eat as needed than have it go bad.

I saw the oddest thing at Kroger the other day. MASSIVE markdowns. I'm talking 12 carts packed with clearance stuff that was not out of date, near date, etc. I grabbed all the canned green beans they had out for $0.29 each, pasta sauces for $0.70 each, etc. Even picked up gluten free ancient grain waffles that are normally $5.68 each for $0.80.

I don't ever remember seeing them do something like that before. It just struck me as so odd with so many items jumping in price.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Survivor

That is a HUGE sale! I haven't seen anything like that since I don't KNOW when!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
That is a HUGE sale! I haven't seen anything like that since I don't KNOW when!!!!!!
I haven't either which is why I was so shocked. It wasn't an actual sale though, just clearance but there was SO much of it.

I could understand if the items were close to date, damaged or if they had been changing product labels, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The green beans have over a year on their date, the labels are the same as the ones on the shelf and the cans aren't damaged.

None of it was.

The local mom and pop store has been crazily marking things down too. They always have (hello $2 big bags of produce) but this is just more. I picked up the big bottles of A&H Laundry detergent today for $5.49. They're normally $9.99.

On the other side of the store, eggs are up $1.24 for a 36 count package.

It just seems so odd to me and the only thing I can think of is that maybe they're trying to off-set consumer costs a bit since everything else is going up?

That same store has ground Angus $2.99# this week. Figure I'll be stocking up b/c that's a $2# savings on it from regular price.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,794 Times in 3,293 Posts

Quote:

OR have a big BBQ.

OR... can it. Don't remember who it is, but awhile back someone on SB posted about being prepped to can everything in the freezer using propane, turkey fryer stand, and canner(s).
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,088 Posts

We rarely hit the grocery store but will today. I will hit all the ones that I know do clearance carts or bins. We have plenty in the pantry but it’s going to be a hard winter. I’ll get all the canning lids I can find too, just in case.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM
Survivor

OneFrugalPrepper, it sounds like the 2 stores are competing for customers. There is a fair chance that one store will drive the other out of business

I hit the sales hard today, and I am very pleased with the savings and the haul
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
OneFrugalPrepper, it sounds like the 2 stores are competing for customers. There is a fair chance that one store will drive the other out of business

I hit the sales hard today, and I am very pleased with the savings and the haul

Nope. They're 25 minutes apart. One is in a far larger town. The other is the only grocery store in my small town of 1k people.