How Prepared Are You Really To Live Off Your Gardening Skills Alone? - Page 17 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**Ladies Section** Ladies what skills do you have or want to build? Coaster Ladies Section 55 03-30-2020 12:01 PM
Now That I Live at my Bug Out Location Hick Industries Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 11-09-2017 01:51 PM

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,847 Times in 893 Posts

Advertise Here

Interesting thread, although it's true that I haven't read all 300+ posts. One thing I haven't seen much on is security: how do we keep two-legged rodents out of our garden? Being in the city, that's a larger issue. I'm lucky that my garden is a bit set back, although my neighbors know about it. For now, they're afraid of me since I own a G-U-N and they're convinced I'm going to lay waste to the neighborhood at any moment. I used to be a bit bummed about this but now, it's not so bad. Unfortunately, as they get hungrier, their empty belly will overrun their fears and raiding my garden in the middle of the night, when I'm asleep, is likely easier than working. Being alone has its drawbacks! No one can be awake 24/7 for the duration.

The water and electrical being down is a problem. I do have rain barrels that I can place, but the existence of such will alert the smarter grifter to the existence of possible food. I need electricity to run my security cameras but other than that, my raised beds are small enough that I need a hand tiller anyway. I can produce a great deal in my small space but I'm not sure if it's enough by itself to feed me through the year. In fact, I'm dubious on that point. I will switch over to higher carb stuff and fewer tomatoes for sure. Beans are for protein, even though I'm not nuts about them. City ordinance limits chickens to 3 (and I really hate chicken) and the rabbits & squirrels will be quickly gone post-SHTF. Sadly, there's not much meat on a squirrel, or so I've read.

I'll validate the CSA thing, although I wonder if they'd even run after an economic collapse. I too am planning as much garden as I can handle this year; between that and my CSA it's going to be a busy summer! Canning what I can and freezing what can't be canned will take up lots of time. This is what my grandparents did before the Internet and 24 hour TV
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
Interesting thread, although it's true that I haven't read all 300+ posts.
Although it inevitably lapses into standard, commercially reliant gardening commentary, there has been a lot of good, relevant to the topic posts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
One thing I haven't seen much on is security: how do we keep two-legged rodents out of our garden? Being in the city, that's a larger issue.
I tried to address that by not addressing it in the very first post. The intent was to simply focus on EP gardening skills, and not get sidetracked with various other prep issues like security. Defense of one's garden is a thread all its own really. I freely admit I could not defend mine perfectly as is. Most growers in any large metro couldn't without a co-op team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
The grid is down long term. Industrial production no longer exists. There is no more buying cheater / shortcuts to grow your food like starter plants, seeds, fertilizer, soil, mulch, no city water or electricity, no gas for tillers... everything that we currently purchase to grow food is no longer available other than possibly thru barter.

Don't bother with all the other realities such as mass die off, looting provisions etc that would come in such a scenario. Just stick to an HONEST evaluation of your actual level of survival gardening skills.

Things to consider:
How many seeds do I have on hand
Do I know how to start from seed
How skilled am I at saving seed
How will I water and feed the plants
What do I know about soil management
If I'm utilizing solar set ups for power, am I prepared for when the parts fail
I am failing miserably here.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

Man city Kity I am going through the SAME exact senario. I am an experienced permacultural gardener with heirloom vegtables and fruit trees. I reccomend planting stuff sporadically, ie JUST say NO to Traditional Rows. And spread it out. I have some 50-100 fruit trees on 1 1/2 acres and looking at it, it looks like maybe 3-4. Everything produces at different times so don't have a large row of tomatoes, plant them in 3-4 areas. That will kind of help with production even if somebody gets into them, at least they won't like get them all. A secruity camera system is long overdue for me. As well. I have been growing stuff near the street to completely block all views but its still got a couple of years before it fully grows in :/... granted we don't get much traffic only a couple of cars but most of my neighbors all now walking daily :/ can see the peaches from a distance and that has to be a draw.

I am finding out its not the gardening skills I lack its security and well being able to go down the street and get a new toilet float valve when it breaks. What then...
The Following User Says Thank You to OceanDweller For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
Hunter

OceanDweller, that isn't an option for me. I have a small city lot, not even 1/2 acre. My entire lot is 59' square and that includes the portion that my house sits on. And since I don't drive, moving out to the country isn't an option either. Besides, I'm a city kitty at heart. My skills are mostly city skills. My yard is so tiny that even a fence would cut into my space, and city ordinances with regard to fences are odious. For example, I'd need to set the fence back 3' from my neighbor's property. And there goes half of my garden

Security is a gardening skill. If you can't protect it, what's the point?
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 10:50 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,734 Times in 1,560 Posts

Not everyone is located on small city lots, so issues of defending the garden wouldn’t be equally applicable. On the other hand, a grid down would affect every one regardless of locale. Some have BOLs where they could start a garden if they had the skills.

Sometimes in this prepper gardening forum there are post trumpeting the yields produced. But then we find out the person was growing with many of the modern convenience / shortcut products commercially available that greatly aid in acquiring those yields. That’s not preparedness gardening in my opinion. The point was to encourage an honest self exam of one’s actual gardening skill apart from the crutch of commercial products.
Old Today, 02:20 PM
Hunter

Whatever, Elvis. I'm out of here. Take care.
Old Today, 02:33 PM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 17,529 Times in 4,267 Posts

I would say a miserable fail but trying and eventually learning and making progress .
I am flubbing my way through starting seeds , old seeds , low light, too much moisture, taking them outside and forgetting them in freezing weather over night , snow . And I am not always learning from my fails either . 13 flats of seeds started in the unheated greenhouse and the garden itself is a wet disaster of weeds growing in wet clay right now . 2 flats started in the house and various pots of things that eventually will likely get planted out into the fenced garden .

I did not choose to do traditional rows for my orchard but I did for my vines which will one day need support trellising . One time I did sort of random plots in my garden I regreted it in summer trying to snake the wheelbarrow and hose around to water .

I am experimenting today to see if I can graze the vineyard and orchard down once hard with the goats before the vines and fruit trees bud , saving my other pasture to grow in since the snow is not sticking long now on the southern British Columbia. And integrating the rabbits back onto the lawn in their tractors April 1 to see if they can graze the lawn basically from April through to end of October , early November . So while it isn't gardening, it absolutely is integrated food production with the planted gardens . I am piling manure up in the next area I will temp fence for chickens and that conveniently is a place I have mulberry and plum tree saplings started trying to mimic a forest for them . Almost none of my young fruit trees have produced any fruit . I am merely hopeful and the nut trees are all putting in growth which in Canada is slower, with a longer cold dormant season.

About two legged varmints, I have less problem but it is not an impossibility in the country either . I have friends whom live outside the suburbs of a rural small town and have biosecurity down for their rabbitry but only a latch on the chicken coop, came out to find a hen and eggs gone and the latch still secured , so they put on a hasp and lock on the coop and have had no further problems .